is world of tanks dying?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #1 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3
So, since my first account which i lost access to due to forgetting both the email and password after leaving and coming back after over a year and now with this one I've logged 6 years and over 27k combined games. In all these years and games i'm starting to seriously think if there is any more point to putting anymore time and money into the game. I have not seen any concrete evidence that this game is on its way out, as like most cockroaches it survives, and continues on 1 year at a time. Now im not a doom and gloom guy, ive liked this game enough to support WG and this game with lots of money and time, but as it stands WG is caring less and less and even to the point they dont care at all with how poorly this game is being made and balanced, i.e. like the British lights and the buffs they gave the 279e a while ago and how disgusting the new Chieftain is in the mm. I dont want this game to die as im managing to still have fun and want to eventually get all the tanks in the tech trees. Despite my rants and rage on bad rng and gold spam which really no one can do anything about I've just gotten to the point where i'm not sure i want to support WG anymore with the behavior they're exhibiting towards their players that borders on absolute arrogance. I've had many laughs and have even made friends both in game and outside of this game from the chats and PM's here. So everything aside. Is WoT worth sticking around with? Is this game truly losing so many players that its on its death throws? The game may be irritating and my past posts on here have showed i get angry before i speak, but is it something we should all give up on? Is WoT headed in the trash? or does she still have some kick to her. What do you guys think. Thanks again for the responses, HF GL out there. :)

Edited by Geroj_Leningrada1944, Aug 20 2019 - 13:05.

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4292 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
Wot isn't dying, it's a ten year old game, it's losing players on na but not enough to call it "dying"

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #3 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Aug 20 2019 - 13:12, said:

Wot isn't dying, it's a ten year old game, it's losing players on na but not enough to call it "dying"

Kinda what im thinking. Sure theres changes to be made here. But not so much as to say its dying right. 

omi5cron #4 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:27

Major

• Players
  • 23492 battles

well only you can decide for you.if you are not having any fun,maybe take another prolonged break? just keep your WoT info incase you need it again. in my case,i know im just average joe and will always BE average joe. i am staying until the game is shut down. sometimes i can get that REALLY great game that gives such a rush.thats why i stay.and sometimes those really great matches were losses,but i fought well but not "carry" well enough.at this point,i may never actually spend any more REAL money (5000 over 6 years) but i will coast on the stuff i have accumulated thus far.lootbox winnings and all the prem tanks i have picked up over the years.

i lost the desire to spend any more real money over some less-than-desirable game decisions of WG ( maybe just WGNA?) but my guess is eventually they shut NA down,merge players with EU at that time and proceed.im ok with that...my EU ping is usually ~140.my most recent kvetch is expressed in my sig. but i will still play.

__WarChild__ #5 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 31561 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

To say that WoT is dying is the same as saying that the game is rigged.  Bad terminology.  The game itself may ebb and flow over time, but with the attention span of most millennials that is to be expected with any video game.  If we lose some "pro players" or some casual/free-to-play folks, it's not necessarily bad for the game itself either.  Every day I play with folks that I have to wonder what they are enjoying about the game given how poorly they play.  The nice thing for me, and I highly recommend it for you, is don't worry about what other people are doing.  You do you.  It'll make you much happier in the long run.

Best of luck!

__WarChild__

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #6 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View Postomi5cron, on Aug 20 2019 - 06:27, said:

well only you can decide for you.if you are not having any fun,maybe take another prolonged break? just keep your WoT info incase you need it again. in my case,i know im just average joe and will always BE average joe. i am staying until the game is shut down. sometimes i can get that REALLY great game that gives such a rush.thats why i stay.and sometimes those really great matches were losses,but i fought well but not "carry" well enough.at this point,i may never actually spend any more REAL money (5000 over 6 years) but i will coast on the stuff i have accumulated thus far.lootbox winnings and all the prem tanks i have picked up over the years.

i lost the desire to spend any more real money over some less-than-desirable game decisions of WG ( maybe just WGNA?) but my guess is eventually they shut NA down,merge players with EU at that time and proceed.im ok with that...my EU ping is usually ~140.my most recent kvetch is expressed in my sig. but i will still play.

I live for those games where it actually gets the adrenaline going and you have a heart thumping game or get a really hard mission done. but at the same time this game can hit you in the balls hard. 

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #7 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View Post__WarChild__, on Aug 20 2019 - 06:30, said:

To say that WoT is dying is the same as saying that the game is rigged.  Bad terminology.  The game itself may ebb and flow over time, but with the attention span of most millennials that is to be expected with any video game.  If we lose some "pro players" or some casual/free-to-play folks, it's not necessarily bad for the game itself either.  Every day I play with folks that I have to wonder what they are enjoying about the game given how poorly they play.  The nice thing for me, and I highly recommend it for you, is don't worry about what other people are doing.  You do you.  It'll make you much happier in the long run.

Best of luck!

__WarChild__

Definitely a good point to make, ill take that to heart. 

__WarChild__ #8 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 31561 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostGeroj_Leningrada1944, on Aug 20 2019 - 06:33, said:

Definitely a good point to make, ill take that to heart. 

I don't worry about things that I can't control (like winrates).  I look at Wargaming moved employees to Austin (cheaper in the long run), and they are ADDING employees - so much so that they had to move into a larger building recently with a 3 year lease. So I bought an EBR for Frontlines (and my son who plays my account) and I don't worry about it.  It sure is fun this week :playing:

ArmorStorm #9 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:56

Major

• Players
  • 37530 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
I just don’t get the “don’t deserve to be supported” thing.  If they offer something that looks fun I check the reviews then decide to purchase or not.  Just like every other company for me, if they haven’t done something truly heinous in the real world “deserves” doesn’t enter into it. 

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #10 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View Post__WarChild__, on Aug 20 2019 - 06:44, said:

I don't worry about things that I can't control (like winrates).  I look at Wargaming moved employees to Austin (cheaper in the long run), and they are ADDING employees - so much so that they had to move into a larger building recently with a 3 year lease. So I bought an EBR for Frontlines (and my son who plays my account) and I don't worry about it.  It sure is fun this week :playing:

I'd worry about the type of language your son may pick up on here xD

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #11 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:00

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostArmorStorm, on Aug 20 2019 - 06:56, said:

I just don’t get the “don’t deserve to be supported” thing.  If they offer something that looks fun I check the reviews then decide to purchase or not.  Just like every other company for me, if they haven’t done something truly heinous in the real world “deserves” doesn’t enter into it. 

A very good point. they've made bad decisions like buffing the chieftain but i guess nothing so bad they deserve that amount of ire 

Roggg2 #12 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 21875 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

The way I approach it...I dont "put time into" the game.  I spend time playing it.  And if that stops being rewarding, then I will probably stop.  I do "put money into" the game, and I do it proportionally to what I get out of the game (ie how much time I spend playing) and proportionally to what I gain from it.  Right now, for me, that means I'm trying to save my spending for holiday loot boxes.  I dont think I've spent any actual money since last holiday.  If they nerf the loot boxes this year, I may switch to mostly Free to Play.  

I'm not too worried about the game dying.  I agree they have made some bad decisions, but I still enjoy it most nights.  And if NA declines, it still has a large community in EU and RUS, so I could see server transfers or server mobility rather than just shutting down.  My only fear is they will wait too long to make that happen.

Urabouttudie #13 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:03

Major

• Players
  • 21913 battles
well they're not heading to my bank to cash any checks...

Mojo_Riesing #14 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:22

Captain

• Players
  • 19943 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

I don't think WG is "dying" or "rigged".  I'd agree with comments that as part of a gaming cycle some of the "old days" are gone and not likely to come back. I do  think WG is struggling some with how it will remain profitable over the next decade. It has had too many misfire's in gaming and how it manages it's flagship game WoT.

To an extent, it's built a game that has a built-in end point, Tier X and now seems to know  quite know what to offer this pool of players.  It still does a poor job of promoting new membership and retaining them.  It's attentions seem more focused on intermediate players and it remains to be seen how that pans out.  It needlessly complicates the game with multiple non-game play elements such as having each mode "pay off" in currencies that are not universal, nor exchangeable. It's let the "social" element pretty much neglected and Clans more or less to themselves and i'm not sure that's a great idea.  It allows mods, but  releases proprietary information (stats) without compensation but that ultimately causes WG a degree of grief managing the toxicity it engenders.

WoT is a game with a great history, and great potential for growth but WG needs to focus down on the root problems the game has, stop listening to a vocal minority that hates everything (ultimately), and realize  it must adapt to a changing gaming community it poorly recruits and retains.

LeaveIT2Beaver #15 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

Recently WG had the organic "retro-WOT" available to play.  I tried it.   El Sucko.

UBER-glad to have what we have now. 

Kliphie #16 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:57

Major

• Players
  • 32679 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
If you're still having fun, keep playing.  If you're not, move on.  

Trauglodyte #17 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 15:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 23124 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

To be clear, the British Lights aren't bad.  They're balanced, based upon the intent of them being less combat action Lights.  To that end, they excel and can snipe like a boss.  The reward/CW tanks are a problem, obviously.

My concern, for the longevity of the game, is more based upon maintaining the fun.  That, obviously, is different, for everyone.  But, new tanks and new maps cannot be the end all, be all of content.  Front Lines was a good start but Grand Battles failed, miserably.  And, for the 3 years that I've been playing, WarGaming still has not initiated a fully defensible balance.  People will come and go, with this game.  But, people will continue to play and stay, for longer periods of time, IF and ONLY if WarGaming can maintain the special sauce.  After three years, I've personally not seen the formula, in action - I just play, because I'm a glutton for hamster wheel grinds and the fun that comes with it.

Geroj_Leningrada1944 #18 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 15:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17390 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostTrauglodyte, on Aug 20 2019 - 08:08, said:

To be clear, the British Lights aren't bad.  They're balanced, based upon the intent of them being less combat action Lights.  To that end, they excel and can snipe like a boss.  The reward/CW tanks are a problem, obviously.

My concern, for the longevity of the game, is more based upon maintaining the fun.  That, obviously, is different, for everyone.  But, new tanks and new maps cannot be the end all, be all of content.  Front Lines was a good start but Grand Battles failed, miserably.  And, for the 3 years that I've been playing, WarGaming still has not initiated a fully defensible balance.  People will come and go, with this game.  But, people will continue to play and stay, for longer periods of time, IF and ONLY if WarGaming can maintain the special sauce.  After three years, I've personally not seen the formula, in action - I just play, because I'm a glutton for hamster wheel grinds and the fun that comes with it.

Alot of people including myself would disagree that the Brit lights arent bad considering how everything at their tier outclasses them in every way. but good point on the fun aspect. 

PunCzarBlintz #19 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 15:55

Major

• Players
  • 81946 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

Here, coming up on 8 years in October, 81k+ battles.

Still fun for the most part.

MM is much better than it was.

I enjoy the missions... was able to complete 1-7 of the Czech on Sunday from 2 pm - 9 pm (just got back from vacation).

The premium 3x missions has me grinding my final lines, even in tanks I don't like.

Found a good top 50 clean language clan that does advances and CW.

Yes, I am here for a while longer.

SystemRename177180002 #20 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 15:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8 battles

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Aug 20 2019 - 07:12, said:

Losing players at a alarming rate.Id call that dying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users