• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jmolvar17 #1 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 22:57

Private

• Players
  • 31767 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

My Vision for WOT

I think any tank that can't reliably be penetrated frontally with standard ammo, by the vast majority of same tiered heavy and medium tanks, is overpowered (OP).

For example, the Super Conqueror has 259 mm of standard penetration. It can’t penetrate the Object 279 early anywhere on the front. Yes, you could say it can hit the weak points on the top of the turret but because the weak points are so small, the average shot from around 100 meters (common engagement distance), can't reliably hit them. Another tank that comes to mind using this OP criterion that I have just made is the Object 252U Defender. Its frontal armor is strong enough, that multiple same tiered medium and heavy tanks can't penetrate it reliably frontally with standard ammo.

Consider now the T95/FV4201 Chieftain. Its lower plate can easily be penetrated by same tiered mediums and heavies with standard ammo. Therefore, by my criterion it is not OP. Whether or not it is OP because of other reasons, I will not make a judgement.

I have only been using examples at the high tiers. Keep in mind that this issue is also ongoing at all tiers.

What would be my solution to make this game healthier and more balanced?

Here are some ideas:

1. Buff the standard ammo enough on every tank so that it can penetrate tanks like the Object 279 early in the hull reliably.

2. Nerf the tanks that are OP by my criterion so they can be penetrated reliably in the hull.

3. Limit the amount of special ammo rounds on all tanks and/or give them less average damage compared to standard rounds.

4. A variation of Wargaming's idea. Buff the damage of all tank’s standard ammo rounds and increase the HP of all tanks. Tanks that are considered OP can receive a smaller HP buff.

Also, make all ammo prices (relative to each other) the same cost so there is no stigma on which ammo to shoot.

Analysis:

1. I don't think this is a good idea. If every tank gets a standard ammo penetration buff, tanks like the E 100 will be effectively weaker.

2. I don't think this is a good idea. There could be many liability issues for players who have spent money on tanks, that will be directly nerfed. This could cause an outrage, and many players might leave the game and/or ask for their money back.

3. I don’t think this is a good idea. Again, there could be liability issues because some players could technically have purchased special rounds for gold years ago. Also, if you buy a premium tank, and its ammo loadout or damage is nerfed on any shell type, it can cause liability issues because it is technically making something worse than what you originally paid for.

4. This, I think is the best idea. Although it will be extremely hard to implement, and there likely will be numerous fine tuning balances that will need to take place in subsequent updates, this will be a solution that will keep more players in the game, and hopefully allow the game to last a long time in the future.

You might say this sounds like a great idea, but Wargaming is a company, and won't be able to make a profit if all ammo costs the same price. I see your point. I believe that they will be able to make an increased profit in the long run. With these changes, hopefully they can get more new players to play the game and stick with it. Keep in mind that if they don't get any new players the game will die. Either players will literally start dying or quitting the game over time, or the current player base will eventually have all the tanks they want to buy, and Wargaming will no longer make a profit. If these changes are implemented, and Wargaming continues to lose players and not make a profit because of this, they can find other ways to make a profit.

One possible way would be to increase the cost of vehicle repair or decrease the income you receive after each game. This will incentivize players to buy a premium account or premium tanks. This obviously would be a less than optimal solution.

I know many players will say that if you work so hard to get these reward tanks, it should be worth it. I agree. But the "worth" should not be caused from something that "breaks" the game. What do I mean by this? If the "worth" of the tank comes from factors like it being OP, this creates an unhealthy unsustainable positive feedback loop. As tanks become more and more OP, future tanks after those tanks will become even more OP, to keep players interested in getting the next difficult reward tank, premium tank, or new tech tree tank. This will leave most tech tree tanks and old premium tanks "in the dust". I understand you can keep buffing the tech tree tanks, and the tanks that are left behind, but why waste time and energy slowly buffing every tank in the game?

The "worth" of reward tanks should and can be found in other ways. One possible way would be to make all reward tanks have an extremely high average income per battle.

This would not "break" the game in any way and could possibly make the game less "pay to win" because once players get the reward tanks, they might not need to get other premium tanks or a premium account! It would be “play to win”!

I know this is a long post, and if you read it, I know you care a lot about the future of this game as I do. This vision for the future of WOT, I believe is a good idea to help keep the game healthy and in a sustainable state for many years to come. Please feel free to copy and paste this message and spread it far and wide.

Thank you very much for reading and have a great day!

jmolvar17

Pipinghot #2 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 01:45

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postjmolvar17, on Aug 22 2019 - 16:57, said:

1. Buff the standard ammo enough on every tank so that it can penetrate tanks like the Object 279 early in the hull reliably.

2. Nerf the tanks that are OP by my criterion so they can be penetrated reliably in the hull.

3. Limit the amount of special ammo rounds on all tanks and/or give them less average damage compared to standard rounds.

4. A variation of Wargaming's idea. Buff the damage of all tank’s standard ammo rounds and increase the HP of all tanks. Tanks that are considered OP can receive a smaller HP buff.

Also, make all ammo prices (relative to each other) the same cost so there is no stigma on which ammo to shoot.

So essentially you want every tank to be like every other tank. No strengths, no weaknesses, no need to ever learn the best tactics for the particular tank you're playing. Just make them all homogeneous and bland, with the differences in appearance just being cosmetic and having no affect in game play.

Pass.

ArmorStorm #3 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 02:27

Major

• Players
  • 37711 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

Only people directly involved with the development of the game can have a "vision" for the game.  

You just have an idea that you think would make the game suit your tastes better.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users