Question on MM meta

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

skhend25 #1 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 03:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1975 battles

I have noticed that it does not matter if I am in my T1, T2 or T3 but I am seem to be bottom of bottom tier in about 90% of the games I play in.

Does anyone know what it is looking for to assign a player to a game? 

Thanks

StoveBolt54 #2 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 03:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30708 battles

As my Father always said. " It don't get any better than this" .

Unless you are tier 10.

el_01 #3 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 03:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3771 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Nothing. It's random, but usually places you bottom or same-tier.

It gets better at Tier 5 and 6, you usually see a lot more same-tier or only +1 games.

the_Deadly_Bulb #4 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 28686 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postskhend25, on Aug 22 2019 - 18:23, said:

I have noticed that it does not matter if I am in my T1, T2 or T3 but I am seem to be bottom of bottom tier in about 90% of the games I play in.

Does anyone know what it is looking for to assign a player to a game? 

Thanks

The MM creates matches based on the tanks in queue for the various tiers.

MM does not consider player "skill" or experience of the players when creating the match.

Game count does not enter into the method used by MM to create matches either.

The number of tanks at the various tiers waiting in the MM queue determines the way MM creates matches using certain tier limitation rules and templates that govern the MM.

In all tiers it is possible to be placed in a same tier match, one where all tanks are the same tier.

For tiers 1,2 &3 the MM is only +1/-1.

This means in these first 3 tiers you will only ever see tanks 1 tier above yours with several at your tier.

Starting with T-II you may also see tanks 1 tier below.

Once you get to T-IV MM changes. 

T-IV and T-V can be placed into matches with tanks 2 tiers above, so T-IV can see T-VI and T-V can see T-VII.

T-IV and V get what is known as +2/-1 MM unless they are Premium Tanks that come with Preferred Match Making or PMM.

Both T-IV and V will also see tanks below their tier in some matches, but never more than 1 tier down because T-III does not see anything above T-IV and T-II only sees to T-III.

PMM vehicles only ever see tanks 1 tier above and there are a couple in T-IV that only see the same tier and perhaps 1 tier down, never any above (unless you are platooned with a non PMM vehicle, which is NOT a good idea), examples of T-IV PMM tanks that only see T-IV are the Valentine LT in the Soviet line and the Pz B2 Heavy in the German line.

T-V PMM tanks will get +1/-1 MM, an example of a T-V PMM tank is the Soviet Churchill III.

All PMM tanks are Premium tanks that must be either won or purchased.

MM changes again at T-VI and remains +2/-2 from there on.

This means all vehicles except PMM tanks get +2/-2 MM from T-IV to T-X.

This means they can see tanks as much as 2 tiers higher or 2 tiers lower in all of their potential Random matches.

T-IV and up PMM vehicles get +1/-2 MM (again, unless they platoon with non PMM tanks, don't do this)

Of course T-IX and X don't see +2 as there are only 10 tiers, but they can both see -2 so T-X can see T-VIII and T-IX can see T-VII.

This obviously means T-X is always either top tier or same tier and T-IX is never subjected to greater than +1 MM

Hope this helps :honoring:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Aug 23 2019 - 09:13.

WIZD #5 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 10:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12576 battles
  • [ASP] ASP
^That just about covers it. Supposedly the new MM takes into account how long it's been since you been top tier and tries to place you in a top tier game. I don't but it.

Edited by WIZD, Aug 23 2019 - 10:08.

Trakks #6 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 10:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3815 battles
Fortunately at those tiers being bottom tier isn't the handicap that it is at higher tiers. There is only a single tier spread there instead of the normal 2 tier spread and there isn't a massive leap in performance from one tier to the next like at higher tiers. You can still do decent damage to a tank 1 tier higher where it would be much harder to do that against one two tiers higher. Some vehicles do stand out as being a bit OP, but you can still have a good game in spite of that. 

the_Deadly_Bulb #7 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 18:50

Major

• Players
  • 28686 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostWIZD, on Aug 23 2019 - 01:07, said:

^That just about covers it. Supposedly the new MM takes into account how long it's been since you been top tier and tries to place you in a top tier game. I don't but it.

I believe the low NA server pop messes with this intention.

I find I get an OK blend of top tier mid tier and bottom tier, unless I'm 'tooned, then its considerably fewer top tier matches.

Then again confirmation bias is a powerful phenomena so it may be happening or it may just be my perception.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users