Whats the Light Tanks job?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

WaywardChild #1 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 21:54

Captain

• Players
  • 38187 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_

I think the Lights job is two fold. One, to light up the Reds early so the Greens know where to go/set up. Two, I think its to light up the Red Team so the Greens with the big guns can do real damage. Seems to me, must Light Tank Players are out there trying to do their own damage. As a light, I try and get early lights and then wait and see where the Greens set up, and then (try) and light up the Reds for them. (And try too survive hahaha). Then I go and try and get damage. What do you think?

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 21:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 13895 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
If there are cars on the enemy team, I can forget about passive scouting from the front. 

PapioTitan #3 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 22:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45392 battles
Lights should be able to read game flow very well and be flexible and reactive. Dealing damage is secondary to lighting or harassing the enemy. Countering enemy lights is important also. Late game: go get arty.

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 22:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45876 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

My job remains the same whatever class I'm in: do whatever I think is best to win. 

Active initial run

More active runs if I think it's going to be worthwhile

Passive until I think I can safely/with minimal risk active

Murder reds and deal damage whenever it suits my fancy

Win

Lots of pubbies don't like what I do, too bad. 

RHeadshot #5 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 22:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5491 battles
Lights won't typically act in a support roll when they've been given guns, armor, speed, maneuverability, and concealment so they can take on every other class in the game.

Anderwar #6 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 23:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49392 battles
  • [L4ST] L4ST
And remember if you are top tier light some times it i better not risking to lose you gun for some arty misses and friendlies low tier bouncing.

WaywardChild #7 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 38187 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
I'm saying, the way I see it, Scouts should A) Early lights of Reds to see where they are deploying and B.) Light the Reds for the "Big Green Guns" ( And stay alive). They can't "Take on every other class', that's "Carry" and very few Players can. This is a team game... when the team plays as a team, the team stands a better chance to win....We are in this together, each and every game......Play your role...

LovePrevails #8 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 02:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8405 battles

Every tank is a damage dealer. The only real distinction in the context of WoT is that between fire support vehicles (lightly armored vehicles in general) and pushers (like most HTs or a few MTs like the Object 430U). LTs are thus best suited for a support role, but more specifically, LTs occupy the niche of rapid response fire support.

Other classes possess the firepower required to actually win a flank, so generally speaking, the opportunity cost of relocation isn't worth it - when a Medium Tank scouts enemy positions unsupported or simply relocates from one flank to another, they're giving up a lot potential damage and this can cost the team an otherwise successful engagement. Most tanks cannot afford to respond to a breakthrough because falling back from their current position would cost the entire flank.

That is not the case with Light Tanks. Since their DPM is poor, their goal isn't to deal damage in large volume but rather concentrate it on the most valuable targets - those holding up their team's MTs and HTs as well as those actively trying to break through the front lines.

Other classes tend to dismiss LTs as nothing more than dedicated spotters, but in reality, most targets are not immediately exposed to a TD or SPG in the first place because TDs and SPGs tend to set up in very conservative positions. Therefore, it is not sufficient to simply acquire the target. Rather, it is necessary to find a flanking shot or to otherwise apply pressure to their position (i.e. deal damage) so that the target will be forced to move.

SpearFisher #9 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 02:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29547 battles
  • [HOLEY] HOLEY

View PostWaywardChild, on Aug 23 2019 - 15:54, said:

I think the Lights job is two fold. One, to light up the Reds early so the Greens know where to go/set up. Two, I think its to light up the Red Team so the Greens with the big guns can do real damage. Seems to me, must Light Tank Players are out there trying to do their own damage. As a light, I try and get early lights and then wait and see where the Greens set up, and then (try) and light up the Reds for them. (And try too survive hahaha). Then I go and try and get damage. What do you think?

Your definition is too narrow.

It absolutely depends on the build characteristics of the 'light' tank.  Some, like the ELC, are basically little TD"s.  Some don't have the speed to be out there, but some do.  

Play enough of them, and you'll most likely find the nuances in each.  Play enough light tanks in general for red, orange and yellow players, and you'll give up on spotting nearly entirely.   Light tank operators owe absolutely nothing to the 14 other sizzle-chests who came into battle with sub 100% crews, and who have proven they can't hit the broad side of a barn, let alone anything a light tank operator who worked hard lit up.  Sadly, the only way to force a win into the hands of these 'teammates' is to do damage as a light tank to help the team.

LpBronco #10 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 02:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44047 battles
  • [TG] TG
The game has changed around lites and they don't have as defined a role as before. When you're top tier you have to be expected to carry at least your weight plus some as well as provide intel for your team. Also, the hierarchy in the ranks since wheeled tanks have been introduced  have killed traditional scouting runs and passive spotting on a lot of maps. 

oldewolfe #11 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 14:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 23076 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Harassment, whether Spotting, or just being a Sneaky Sniper, it's their Primary Goal....       To Deny the Enemy of any Sense of Security.....   

https://youtu.be/NJJ1mLJfXvI

If they're not Allowed any Freedom to Move About without being Spotted or Shot, you gain the Upper Hand very quickly....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users