Codes .... why ?

Why do we have codes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

DrWho_ #1 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 22:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles

Ok so many of us users are fairly vocal about these codes and for the most part we seem to be fairly negative towards them, however ....

I'm curious about the actual reason for their existence in the first place and, seeing the negative responses towards them, why we still have them ?

I'm honestly trying to understand the reason for them being here as they add nothing, zero, zilch, nada to my gaming experience so they must add something that's of value to WG and I would really want to know what it is. Heck, it could be something really brilliant that makes us all go "wow, that's so awesome I've really changed my mind on these codes now"

I have my doubts of course but I'll make an effort to keep my mind open for the answer here

I remember 2 reasons for them being introduced, sorta

1. The mission UI got a lot of criticism for being cluttered and messy, rightfully so as it's beyond horrible really, and this was a way to clean it up for those not interested in every mission/event going on

Well the UI could have been cleaned up by now, if you need a hand in designing a better UI I have a friend who's pretty daft at this and I'm sure that for a reasonable fee he would help out if  you guys are short staffed, so I'm not really buying that one

2. Having an "opt in" thing going would allow for better prizes for those who actually opted in

Better prizes. Well I can't say that I've seen any difference but then again I don't complain much about the actual rewards for the various events so I may not be the best person to judge this but again.... not really buying it

And there we have my question for the WG staff that I would *really* like an answer to, the real reason for the codes. I can't vouch for anyone else but I promise I'll be civil towards anyone from WG who, against all odds, decides to provide som facts on this and I hope anyone who decides to post here will be civil too

And to be perfectly clear, I'm not talking about special events where some sort of user input serves a purpose, like the scavenger hunt and similar events, just the reason for having codes on normal weekend events.

Thx in advance

DrWho_

Edited by DrWho_, Aug 25 2019 - 03:52.

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 22:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4440 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

I have a question for you, why do you always type such long paragraphs when a sentence will work?

Edit: I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm genuinely curious

Edited by Vulcan_Spectre, Aug 24 2019 - 22:39.

Altwar #3 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 22:43

Major

• Players
  • 58309 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
Hey DW, do you ever watch the Wargaming NA streams?   You should, as Cabbage, Tragic and which ever other staff member they have at the time do take and answer questions.  I believe they answered the questions about codes more than once but as my memory (and quite frankly, concern) aren't tremendous, I don't want to even paraphrase as to the why.

DrWho_ #4 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 22:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Aug 24 2019 - 22:29, said:

I have a question for you, why do you always type such long paragraphs when a sentence will work?

Edit: I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm genuinely curious

English isn't my first language so rather than being brief, and possibly being misunderstood, I try to be as clear as I possibly can

Aside from that I'm a great believer in proper language and communication and do my best to live up to my own standards

View PostAltwar, on Aug 24 2019 - 22:43, said:

Hey DW, do you ever watch the Wargaming NA streams?   You should, as Cabbage, Tragic and which ever other staff member they have at the time do take and answer questions.  I believe they answered the questions about codes more than once but as my memory (and quite frankly, concern) aren't tremendous, I don't want to even paraphrase as to the why.

No I don't watch much of their videos aside from the WOT Weekly. I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to a relevant video and save me from having to spend my time looking through all of them if this is already common knowledge

Edited by DrWho_, Aug 24 2019 - 22:49.

venom286 #5 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 23:35

Captain

• Players
  • 42939 battles
The reason they are doing it this way to be honest so you will have to go through the premium shop and i hate them they should be automatically available the only codes we should have to put in are for like scavenger hunt 

Edited by venom286, Aug 24 2019 - 23:36.

Slone #6 Posted Aug 24 2019 - 23:54

Captain

• Players
  • 20128 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
Click count, it drives the world today, so they force you to go to the website to get your goodies.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #7 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 00:07

Captain

• Players
  • 28236 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
I think it makes their website relevant lol

DrWho_ #8 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 00:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles
Well that's what *we* think is going on but I would really like to hear from WG, either directly or if someone would be kind enough to either point me in the right direction for the info of give me a brief recap

commander42 #9 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 00:32

Major

• Players
  • 26839 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P
simple, more work for the player and less rewards WG hands out.  WG has been all about limiting the number of people who can complete a mission(even when the rewards are small) apparently they think if a player cant earn a couple consumables from a mission they are gonna buy it instead.  They know for a fact not all players are gonna bother looking for the mission codes. That is the exact reason we have them.

SquishySupreme #10 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 12:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3639 battles
The same reason the grocery stores now require you to load in their app and scan codes to get the sale price.

Targeted marketing.  

DrWho_ #11 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 22:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles

View PostSquishySupreme, on Aug 25 2019 - 12:37, said:

The same reason the grocery stores now require you to load in their app and scan codes to get the sale price.

Targeted marketing.  

What marketing ?

When they finally get around to post the codes it's usually with a direct link to the page where you can enter the code. Yes I know the next step, if you choose to click on it, takes you to the premium shop but it's a lousy marketing strategy if they don't offer some kind of incentive for me to visit the page

I run an ad blocker so I don't even know if they run ads on their site, I suppose if they do then just visiting holds some value for them but considering the amount of complaints, even if it's a vocal minority that speaks, one has to ask if whatever sale they *might* be getting from making people visit their site would be offset by those that chooses not to spend because of this. In this case the Combat Intelligence thing as well as having tanks on display in the game is a much more effective marketing if you ask me because that hardly annoys anyone and they still get to peddle their wares.

But even if what you say is true and it has some effect, why after this amount of time have they not implemented it on *any* of the other servers and only in the region with smallest population

I honestly don't get this strategy and would still like some kind of answer directly from WG

SquishySupreme #12 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 11:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3639 battles
They SUCK at targeting marketing, mind you, but the only reason to track codes like that is because some middle manager has decided that they need heuristics on player behaviors so that they can improve efficiency.
That means to monetize it somehow, since this is not tracking their own internal customer service or employees.

DrWho_ #13 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 21:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles

View PostSquishySupreme, on Aug 26 2019 - 11:07, said:

They SUCK at targeting marketing, mind you, but the only reason to track codes like that is because some middle manager has decided that they need heuristics on player behaviors so that they can improve efficiency.
That means to monetize it somehow, since this is not tracking their own internal customer service or employees.

You may be right but it's still an educated guess and I would appreciate some hard facts directly from WG

SquishySupreme #14 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 02:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3639 battles
No, really.  I used to work at a major university and the only time they updated internal software or made changes like this was to better gather heuristics and track efficiency in order to micro-manage projects and employees to a greater degree.(be it good or bad)   Typically you would see this in a move from a smaller more efficient ticketing system to something bloated like Service Now.  The end-user functionality is not better, and in fact, may be much worse, but the ability for a manager to go in and generate reports on a myriad of aspects of the employee's work is an order of magnitude or two greater.   This makes their job look better because they can provide a fancy set of charts and numbers to their higher-ups.

Middle management will usually not admit that this is the real reason as it's usually done purely for the purpose of job security.

Edited by SquishySupreme, Aug 27 2019 - 02:57.

DrWho_ #15 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 10:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 23990 battles

View PostSquishySupreme, on Aug 27 2019 - 02:56, said:

No, really.  I used to work at a major university and the only time they updated internal software or made changes like this was to better gather heuristics and track efficiency in order to micro-manage projects and employees to a greater degree.(be it good or bad)   Typically you would see this in a move from a smaller more efficient ticketing system to something bloated like Service Now.  The end-user functionality is not better, and in fact, may be much worse, but the ability for a manager to go in and generate reports on a myriad of aspects of the employee's work is an order of magnitude or two greater.   This makes their job look better because they can provide a fancy set of charts and numbers to their higher-ups.

Middle management will usually not admit that this is the real reason as it's usually done purely for the purpose of job security.

I'll elevate this from educated guess to informed opinion :)

But I'd still like to hear something from WG because those initial reasons they gave are **** and I would really like for them to come out and say "this is where it's at ....."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users