Jump to content


HELP!


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

SupertankerBeast #1 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 23:13

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014
I’ve recently got back into WOT after a year or so away, I’ve bought a new computer and I absolutely love this game, but I’ve found I just have such crazy difficulty doing well. My first mistake was grinding up the American turreted TD line, up to the t28 prot, and I just absolutely hate that tank so I’ve ditched it. I’ve decided to fall back to the classic tier 5 m4 and I’m debating going down the American heavy line, or the American medium line, so that leads to my first question, which one would you suggest for a struggling, relatively new player, and why? I’ve found I really enjoy brawling type scenarios in a moderately fast and moderately armoured tank (I got the premium t8 112 and I absolutely love the play style). I struggle in learning maps, what positions to go on maps. I have a moderate knowledge of weak points on tanks so that’s not a issue for me, I also do not struggle with aiming as I was top 1000 global on R6. It’s just the thinking component/positioning component of the game I struggle with, so if anyone has any tips or help to offer I would love it

Mazati #2 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 23:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 5528 battles
  • 268
  • Member since:
    06-19-2013

View PostSupertankerBeast, on Aug 25 2019 - 22:13, said:

I’ve recently got back into WOT after a year or so away, I’ve bought a new computer and I absolutely love this game, but I’ve found I just have such crazy difficulty doing well. My first mistake was grinding up the American turreted TD line, up to the t28 prot, and I just absolutely hate that tank so I’ve ditched it. I’ve decided to fall back to the classic tier 5 m4 and I’m debating going down the American heavy line, or the American medium line, so that leads to my first question, which one would you suggest for a struggling, relatively new player, and why? I’ve found I really enjoy brawling type scenarios in a moderately fast and moderately armoured tank (I got the premium t8 112 and I absolutely love the play style). I struggle in learning maps, what positions to go on maps. I have a moderate knowledge of weak points on tanks so that’s not a issue for me, I also do not struggle with aiming as I was top 1000 global on R6. It’s just the thinking component/positioning component of the game I struggle with, so if anyone has any tips or help to offer I would love it

 

Have you ever watched Zeven? His youtube vids helped me understand the game better, I'm still not great at the game maybe they will help you too



RHeadshot #3 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 23:21

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5451 battles
  • 1,157
  • Member since:
    10-12-2018
The prot is a fantastic td once you have it elited with a skilled crew.  I don't suggest trying to faceguard with any td, but if you're able to keep a reasonable distance and protect from being circled that thing can do very well.

dunniteowl #4 Posted Aug 25 2019 - 23:22

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 30731 battles
  • 7,734
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

Read through this:

 

        The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

 

It's a compilation and distillation of all the material I personally went through in order to learn to play well enough to not feel like I totally suck all the time.

 

 

I provide you ONLY those things I found were the most helpful, clear and easy to follow information about the game.  I didn't write this stuff, however, I've been around a lot of folks over time and this stuff is the best stuff out of all that stuff that relates to being New or Struggling to Improve.

 

I play on a craptastic potato laptop made in 2010.  It runs the game via a wireless rural internet connection and there are no hard lines from my house to the antenna 7 miles away.  I get about 11 fps on lowest quality SD settings and I get to play at slideshow speeds,  Some of my keys don't work all the time and due to my connection, I sometimes get to watch things happen in my mind's eye and then see it all suddenly appear.

 

And -- in ALL that -- the things I included in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) are what allow me, even in that situation, to perform decently well above the server average on any given day.

 

It will help you, I promise.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO



UvBeenTrumped #5 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 01:23

    Captain

  • Players
  • 64518 battles
  • 1,001
  • [CRZY] CRZY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011
I truthfully wouldn't be in such a hurry to go up any line. Get to know the tanks you are using and get familiar with their game play.  The T28 Prot is a good TD with pretty good armor. 

SupertankerBeast #6 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 01:54

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014

View PostMazati, on Aug 25 2019 - 23:21, said:

 

Have you ever watched Zeven? His youtube vids helped me understand the game better, I'm still not great at the game maybe they will help you too

Thanks a ton! I’ll make sure to check him out



SupertankerBeast #7 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 01:56

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014

View PostRHeadshot, on Aug 25 2019 - 23:21, said:

The prot is a fantastic td once you have it elited with a skilled crew.  I don't suggest trying to faceguard with any td, but if you're able to keep a reasonable distance and protect from being circled that thing can do very well.

I absolutely agree, I’ve seen many great prot players and replays, I know it’s a awesome tank, it just doesn’t fit my moderately fast moderately armoured brawling playstyle. I’ll probably go back to it at some point. For now I’ve taken my full female American crew and put it into my m4 for the grind to either the e5 or Patton. Which would you suggest?



SupertankerBeast #8 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 02:00

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014

View Postdunniteowl, on Aug 25 2019 - 23:22, said:

Read through this:

 

        The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

 

It's a compilation and distillation of all the material I personally went through in order to learn to play well enough to not feel like I totally suck all the time.

 

 

I provide you ONLY those things I found were the most helpful, clear and easy to follow information about the game.  I didn't write this stuff, however, I've been around a lot of folks over time and this stuff is the best stuff out of all that stuff that relates to being New or Struggling to Improve.

 

I play on a craptastic potato laptop made in 2010.  It runs the game via a wireless rural internet connection and there are no hard lines from my house to the antenna 7 miles away.  I get about 11 fps on lowest quality SD settings and I get to play at slideshow speeds,  Some of my keys don't work all the time and due to my connection, I sometimes get to watch things happen in my mind's eye and then see it all suddenly appear.

 

And -- in ALL that -- the things I included in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) are what allow me, even in that situation, to perform decently well above the server average on any given day.

 

It will help you, I promise.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Thank you! I’ll make sure to give it a read. Your dedication to this game even with playing on a craptop has inspired me to keep going. Thanks a ton man



SupertankerBeast #9 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 02:01

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014

View PostUvBeenTrumped, on Aug 26 2019 - 01:23, said:

I truthfully wouldn't be in such a hurry to go up any line. Get to know the tanks you are using and get familiar with their game play.  The T28 Prot is a good TD with pretty good armor. 

Thank you for the advice, I’ll try to play down to my level and slowly work my way up to playing higher tiers with smarter, more talented players. I really appreciate the reply! :)



Roggg2 #10 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 14:23

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21875 battles
  • 2,122
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015

Good decision.  That can also help you explore tank lines.  Try a few lines up to tier 6, and see what you are good at.  Try grinding the t-38-85, the AMX12t, KV-1, t67, stug 3g for example.  Each is pretty much the exemplar for its playstyle at middle tiers, and will help you figure out what you like, and what you are good at, without the hassle of high tier play.

 

FWIW, I'm not that advanced on the American lines, but the heavies peak at tier 7 (the T29 which is VERY good).  The medium line is considered good for a specific playstyle (hull-down MBT role), and if that style sits well with you, this could be a good experience.  



the_Deadly_Bulb #11 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 19:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 27261 battles
  • 6,832
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    03-11-2014

View PostUvBeenTrumped, on Aug 25 2019 - 16:23, said:

I truthfully wouldn't be in such a hurry to go up any line. Get to know the tanks you are using and get familiar with their game play.  The T28 Prot is a good TD with pretty good armor. 

Awesome UBT :honoring:

 

OP, this is GOLDEN!!! :great:

 

Please please please, give this some serious thought.

It WILL make your Wot experience so much better.

 

There are literally pages and pages that could be typed in an effort to help a new player, but this is far and away the best advice a new player could take to heart...

...right after they do they really should read and understand the WoT Welcome Package from Owl. http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/591877-the-wot-welcome-package-version-1/

 

 

Use both and be rewarded. :honoring:


Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Aug 26 2019 - 19:17.


dunniteowl #12 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 21:51

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 30731 battles
  • 7,734
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Aug 26 2019 - 12:14, said:

Awesome UBT :honoring:

 

OP, this is GOLDEN!!! :great:

 

Please please please, give this some serious thought.

It WILL make your Wot experience so much better.

 

There are literally pages and pages that could be typed in an effort to help a new player, but this is far and away the best advice a new player could take to heart...

...right after they do they really should read and understand the WoT Welcome Package from Owl. http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/591877-the-wot-welcome-package-version-1/

 

 

Use both and be rewarded. :honoring:

 

My forum FIRST!!

 

Someone actually Linked my WWP. Woot! I be a rockstar of the internets now!

 

 

OvO

 

 



SupertankerBeast #13 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 22:17

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1644 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-11-2014

View PostRoggg2, on Aug 26 2019 - 14:23, said:

Good decision.  That can also help you explore tank lines.  Try a few lines up to tier 6, and see what you are good at.  Try grinding the t-38-85, the AMX12t, KV-1, t67, stug 3g for example.  Each is pretty much the exemplar for its playstyle at middle tiers, and will help you figure out what you like, and what you are good at, without the hassle of high tier play.

 

FWIW, I'm not that advanced on the American lines, but the heavies peak at tier 7 (the T29 which is VERY good).  The medium line is considered good for a specific playstyle (hull-down MBT role), and if that style sits well with you, this could be a good experience.  

Thanks a ton for the helpful advice! I’ll make sure to check out all those different lines/play styles. I really appreciate that. Have a great day



Shrapnel_7372 #14 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 13:48

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 65956 battles
  • 181
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013
You cant go wrong with the Russian line, they are the most forgiving line for new players. Also Russian bias, yo.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users