Help with model swaps please!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

marcus_kane #1 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 00:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 9452 battles
Ive been trying to do some model swaps, ive gotten the guns and turrets to swap to the models from other tanks but so far I cant get the hulls to switch no matter what. Is there something unique about changing the hulls? i know the tanks need to have the same number of exhausts. so far all the model swaps ive tried to do with hulls have the same exhausts but nothing is showing up. game runs fine except tank looks unchanged.

Edited by marcus_kane, Aug 26 2019 - 00:40.

thandiflight #2 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 00:38

Major

• Players
  • 86805 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Que?

Coffee_ #3 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 19:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles

Look in the scripts.pkg under item_defs/** NATION**/***TANK_FILE_NAME**.xml

The paths for the parts of the tanks are located there..
Also.. optionally ... you may need to also change them in the .model files.

Also.. the transform may need changed when swapping turrets.

If you need an XML editing tool... Use mine

I have a number of useful tools for WoT modding.

There is a chat client you can down load and install.. It will find my server .. just put a name in (your name here) and login.
I'm usually logged in from 9 am (PST) till I shut my system down.

Coffee_ #4 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 19:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles

If you are just dropping the primitives_processed files in the tanks folder.. make sure the names are exactly whats in the .model file for the tank you are replacing.

The best thing to do is extract the entire tanks structure you want to replace. This means LOD0 to LOD4 or 5 if it has it and all visuals and primitives. You do not need the .dds files.
Every one of these LODs will need the .primitives_processed replaced.

The visual_processed files will need to be dropped in there as well and renamed to match the tank you are replacing.

In the visuals are paths to the textures... you should NOT NEED to change any of these but you need the visual for the transforms and other tank related to the replacement tank.

Coffee_ #5 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 19:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles
I am not sure you need the .VT files swapped. In fact.. Id not even extract them to res_mods. It could cause a cheat trigger if they are changed. I'm not sure if its even checked but... to be safe...
Same goes for the collision folder..

Coffee_ #6 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 20:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles

Something else that might work and would be much easier is to just extract the item_defs XML in scripts.pkg of the replacement tank and rename it to the tank you are replacing.

Theoretically, that should completely replace every aspect of the tank...

Think I'll try that and see what happens :) 

OK.. that does not work. I extracted both the M53 and T92 arties  item_defs XMLs and swapped their names. The game ignores the files.

Edited by Coffee_, Aug 29 2019 - 20:20.

marcus_kane #7 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 16:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 9452 battles
hey thanks for the replies, So far ive been able to swap out guns, turrets and hulls no problem. The only thing causing issue is when i try to change the chassis. I suspect this is because now every chassis has a different number of roadwheels that bob up and down while in the past the tracks were static so i had no issue back then.

marcus_kane #8 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 16:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 9452 battles

That might help me right now i was looking for the panthers first turret and gun but for some reason only the second one shows up in the vehicle folders.

Edit: The xml even says the turret_01.model should be there in the folder and its not when i look for it. I could probably just change it so it looks for the first turret model when mounting the second but idk.

Edit2: editing the .xml worked, still have no idea why the models dont appear when i look for them though. I was also looking for the textures and once again missing, but the xml did not point them to me so idk where they are.

Edited by marcus_kane, Sep 12 2019 - 17:08.

Coffee_ #9 Posted Sep 13 2019 - 14:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles

View Postmarcus_kane, on Sep 12 2019 - 10:36, said:

That might help me right now i was looking for the panthers first turret and gun but for some reason only the second one shows up in the vehicle folders.

Edit: The xml even says the turret_01.model should be there in the folder and its not when i look for it. I could probably just change it so it looks for the first turret model when mounting the second but idk.

Edit2: editing the .xml worked, still have no idea why the models dont appear when i look for them though. I was also looking for the textures and once again missing, but the xml did not point them to me so idk where they are.

Textures for tracks are sometimes shared. Their paths will be in the .visual_processed file for the chassis. Look in the <geometry> entries with "track" in them.

also.. the tanks components are spread all over the place. Some parts are in the shared pkg files as well as -part1 and -part2 pkg files. Only textures are stored in hd-part1 and hd-part2 files.

Spoiler

Hope that helps.

marcus_kane #10 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 03:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 9452 battles

View PostCoffee_, on Sep 13 2019 - 14:52, said:

Textures for tracks are sometimes shared. Their paths will be in the .visual_processed file for the chassis. Look in the <geometry> entries with "track" in them.

also.. the tanks components are spread all over the place. Some parts are in the shared pkg files as well as -part1 and -part2 pkg files. Only textures are stored in hd-part1 and hd-part2 files.

Spoiler

Hope that helps.

by chance you wouldnt happen to know what setting in the vehicle xml defines the length of a track? I model swapped the pz3/4 to look like the pzIII and it worked fine except the tracks sag are way too long and sag in the chassis, like it still has the track length of the pz 3/4 and not the pzIII. Ive been trying editing different things but i cant find what determines the track length.

Coffee_ #11 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 17:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43383 battles

You wont like this...
The track is made using a nurb curve/line.
There are variables that define the spacing of the real track segments.

There are also variables that define how many segments of track there are.
Basically, the segment count is the nurb length divided by the spacing.

You could try changing the section count and see if that tightens up the track. My logic says it should.

Let me find that in a tanks item_defs xml.

Spoiler

Try one and see if it works.. if it does change the right and left side.

marcus_kane #12 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 23:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 9452 battles
it seems segmentscount does indeed define the number of tracklinks. But for some reason only the bottom track segment that is in contact with the ground changes. quite odd, but then again i dont really know programming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users