Steel Hunter Camo -?- Looks Like Garbage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Sink_Stuff #1 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 08:32

Captain

• Players
  • 15532 battles

Is it just me, or does the Steel Hunter camo look like garbage?

Wargaming, listen up. Because there is a "Thing" going on in all of your games that needs to stop. This "Distressed" garbage artistic style needs to end. Why?

Ok so the reason that people who make models distress the model is so that it looks more real. You see, when they add rust and dirt to a model it makes it look like more realistic. Add in a diorama and like magic, the scene looks outstanding. However, do that same technique in a game and it just looks like crap. Why is that? I will explain why.

You see, it's all about immersion. In order to be immersed into a scene in model form it needs to look as real as possible so that your brain is triggered into thinking of the scene as close to real even though the scale is completely off. But when you are in a game you ARE completely immersed INSIDE the game. As soon as you play the game, it's as real as it's ever going to feel to you because you are completely immersed in it already. So, when you add a bunch of dirt and rust to a tank in game it has the complete opposite effect that it does on a plastic or metal model. Instead of looking great because it tricks your brain, it instead looks like crap because you are already inside the scene. 

Knowing this, please, for the love of God, STOP, just STOP ruining the way all the tanks look. I want them to look new and gorgeous. I want them to feel and look as if I just repaired it all shiny and new after getting destroyed. You see, we already get the look of a messed up tank every single game when we die. I don't need to see a messed up tank also in my garage after I just repaired it. I am already immersed. Your rusting up all my tanks is actually doing the opposite of what you think it does. It is actually ruining the immersion. It makes me feel like the tank was never actually repaired even though I was charged to repair it. 

So do us all a favor and teach your artists to grow a brain and learn about immersion. have your artist actually bother to play the game and they will understand. They should already know this because of the way an artist is supposed to learn about immersion. But obviously they don't. 

Brody67 #2 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 08:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13008 battles
  • [M-M-E] M-M-E
Skins aka paints are a new trend in games, every game out there has them now

FrozenKemp #3 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 09:56

Major

• Players
  • 53464 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
Eh, I don't mind them that badly. It's not like they're made to look like a !(_%*!%() football field or anything. 

HMRoyalLancers #4 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 11:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13312 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
Where do you see this?

omi5cron #5 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 11:21

Major

• Players
  • 23657 battles
played it on EU...not in my taste for a game mode.others will love it.too DARK for me...and some of the sound effects also were from halloween mode.

GenPanzer #6 Posted Aug 26 2019 - 12:38

Major

• Players
  • 44833 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT

View PostSink_Stuff, on Aug 26 2019 - 02:32, said:

Is it just me, or does the Steel Hunter camo look like garbage?

Wargaming, listen up. Because there is a "Thing" going on in all of your games that needs to stop. This "Distressed" garbage artistic style needs to end. Why?

Ok so the reason that people who make models distress the model is so that it looks more real. You see, when they add rust and dirt to a model it makes it look like more realistic. Add in a diorama and like magic, the scene looks outstanding. However, do that same technique in a game and it just looks like crap. Why is that? I will explain why.

You see, it's all about immersion. In order to be immersed into a scene in model form it needs to look as real as possible so that your brain is triggered into thinking of the scene as close to real even though the scale is completely off. But when you are in a game you ARE completely immersed INSIDE the game. As soon as you play the game, it's as real as it's ever going to feel to you because you are completely immersed in it already. So, when you add a bunch of dirt and rust to a tank in game it has the complete opposite effect that it does on a plastic or metal model. Instead of looking great because it tricks your brain, it instead looks like crap because you are already inside the scene. 

Knowing this, please, for the love of God, STOP, just STOP ruining the way all the tanks look. I want them to look new and gorgeous. I want them to feel and look as if I just repaired it all shiny and new after getting destroyed. You see, we already get the look of a messed up tank every single game when we die. I don't need to see a messed up tank also in my garage after I just repaired it. I am already immersed. Your rusting up all my tanks is actually doing the opposite of what you think it does. It is actually ruining the immersion. It makes me feel like the tank was never actually repaired even though I was charged to repair it. 

So do us all a favor and teach your artists to grow a brain and learn about immersion. have your artist actually bother to play the game and they will understand. They should already know this because of the way an artist is supposed to learn about immersion. But obviously they don't. 

That's the thing about art. Some ppl like artists choices and other don't. Your complaint is like telling directors to stop using black and white. It's the artists choice. You don't have to like it.

With that said, I like their choices. Have you ever gone to a tank museum? There is no tank that I have seen look immaculate. They all have imperfections. They have dents, and scratches, and some even have some rust. Making it look like something out of Forza would ruin the immersion for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users