What am I doing wrong with my Crew?

Help newbie newcomer crew skills training heavy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

BakaLyfe #1 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 02:37

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

I'm a fairly new player, having made my account when the Twitch Prime Golf Care Package dropped. I've read over the Anti-New Player thread someone else posted and most of the advice given there for him. I've also watched quite a few of Taugrim's Road to Unicorn videos and the advice he gives there has proven to be a Godsend. 

Now herein lies my issue. I've noticed that on my newly recruited crew for the Japanese Heavy Tank O-I their training % isn't going up. For the past four battles my Commander has been sitting at 72% trained and the rest of the crew at 79%. Did I accidentally disable something related to training? Or is there some combination of metrics I need to meet first before they can gain more %s? I hope you can understand my frustration with this, as if they don't get to 100%, I can't start them learning skills and perks, and being under 100% affects a number of my tank's stats as well. I've also burned through all but 1 of my freebie +75% bonus Crew XP Private Reserves trying to get them leveled during the weekend.

And while I'm here, I saw it was recommended in that other thread that Heavies should learn Repair first? I've been giving my other crews that have 100% training skills related to their specific role in the tank, ie the Traverse speed one for the driver and the Designated Target skill (The one that increases damage to crew and modules) for gunners. Did I miss up by doing that or is it fine to learn Repair second? Of course, all my Commanders have Sixth Sense as their first perk.

Blocksupstudios #2 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 02:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13311 battles

did you retrain your crew to be specific to the O-I? if you didn't, your crew skills will be 25% worse and their crew xp won't be boosted up to a higher level. if that isn't the case, then you aren't gaining enough XP to level up your crew, meaning you will take far longer to grind that 70-75% crew to 100%.

if you don't know how to retrain your entire crew, place your cursor over "crew operations", the tab that is above your tank commander. then click "retrain crew". your choice on what crew level you want your crew to be retrained is up to you, though i recommend to go for the 50% free.

BakaLyfe #3 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 03:01

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

I checked and yes they are specific to the O-I And selecting the Retrain only lets me train them to 75% for 20,000 Credits a pop.

So the issue seems to be I'm not earning enough XP per battle. Dang. Gonna be a long haul then, as I'm fighting an uphill battle trying to stay alive long enough to score hits.

KatzeWolf #4 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 03:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30 battles
In the crew file, it should tell you how much experience they need to get 1%, and an estimate of how many games it will take under the Training tab.

BakaLyfe #5 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 03:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles
That was it. I had another go recently and won the match and now my Commander is sitting at 75%. Thanks you two for the replies.

Roggg2 #6 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 14:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 22001 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
The percentages are not linear.  The higher the percentage level you are at, the more XP it takes to move up the next percent.  Early on you may go up every battle, maybe even several percentage points, but the close you get to 100, the longer it will take.  Good luck.

dunniteowl #7 Posted Aug 27 2019 - 18:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

View PostBakaLyfe, on Aug 26 2019 - 19:37, said:

I'm a fairly new player, having made my account when the Twitch Prime Golf Care Package dropped. I've read over the Anti-New Player thread someone else posted and most of the advice given there for him. I've also watched quite a few of Taugrim's Road to Unicorn videos and the advice he gives there has proven to be a Godsend. 

Now herein lies my issue. I've noticed that on my newly recruited crew for the Japanese Heavy Tank O-I their training % isn't going up. For the past four battles my Commander has been sitting at 72% trained and the rest of the crew at 79%. Did I accidentally disable something related to training? Or is there some combination of metrics I need to meet first before they can gain more %s? I hope you can understand my frustration with this, as if they don't get to 100%, I can't start them learning skills and perks, and being under 100% affects a number of my tank's stats as well. I've also burned through all but 1 of my freebie +75% bonus Crew XP Private Reserves trying to get them leveled during the weekend.

And while I'm here, I saw it was recommended in that other thread that Heavies should learn Repair first? I've been giving my other crews that have 100% training skills related to their specific role in the tank, ie the Traverse speed one for the driver and the Designated Target skill (The one that increases damage to crew and modules) for gunners. Did I miss up by doing that or is it fine to learn Repair second? Of course, all my Commanders have Sixth Sense as their first perk.

I know your basic questions were answered and while I know you perused the other thread with my links in it, allow me a moment to provide a bit more for you:

Global Wiki -- Crew

In this game, Crew is ALL.  Take the time at this point to review the graphs that show how the Scale of XP goes up as each point of Certification/Training goes up.  It is very non-linear such that EACH time you increase the Crew Member's % training, it gets nearly twice as long as the last one.  If you need, at whatever level of consistency you play at, 30 battles for the % increase, the next one will be just about double that.  Forever.

Crew changes, initially, seem quick.  You watch your first skill go from 6% to 24%, then to 30%, then to 34% and so on in the same general time frames and it can be a bit daunting and depressing at first.  You'll get used to it.  Meanwhile, as you are so new, you literally have a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to learn how to play this game 'properly' before you have very much to unlearn.  Strike at it now and you can avoid many of the mistakes that very many of us all have made as we progress and learn how to play better.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

BakaLyfe #8 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 06:40

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Aug 27 2019 - 09:32, said:

I know your basic questions were answered and while I know you perused the other thread with my links in it, allow me a moment to provide a bit more for you:

Global Wiki -- Crew

In this game, Crew is ALL.  Take the time at this point to review the graphs that show how the Scale of XP goes up as each point of Certification/Training goes up.  It is very non-linear such that EACH time you increase the Crew Member's % training, it gets nearly twice as long as the last one.  If you need, at whatever level of consistency you play at, 30 battles for the % increase, the next one will be just about double that.  Forever.

Crew changes, initially, seem quick.  You watch your first skill go from 6% to 24%, then to 30%, then to 34% and so on in the same general time frames and it can be a bit daunting and depressing at first.  You'll get used to it.  Meanwhile, as you are so new, you literally have a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to learn how to play this game 'properly' before you have very much to unlearn.  Strike at it now and you can avoid many of the mistakes that very many of us all have made as we progress and learn how to play better.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

That link has been super helpful. Thank you.

mmmmm. If I'm understanding this right and my intuition isn't totally off course, what you and that guide is suggesting is that I focus on getting my various free 100% trained crews up in their skills and perks first, then transfer 'em into new tanks instead of recruiting a whole new crew, cause even if they lose proficiency, they still retain their skills and perks, right?

uberdice #9 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 09:03

Major

• Players
  • 27064 battles

View PostBakaLyfe, on Aug 28 2019 - 15:40, said:

That link has been super helpful. Thank you.

mmmmm. If I'm understanding this right and my intuition isn't totally off course, what you and that guide is suggesting is that I focus on getting my various free 100% trained crews up in their skills and perks first, then transfer 'em into new tanks instead of recruiting a whole new crew, cause even if they lose proficiency, they still retain their skills and perks, right?

Situational. If you like the previous tank, keep the crew in that tank. At this point it might be more efficient for you to transfer (you can even reset the skills to shift the exp to the main qualification if you want), but bear in mind that you'll want to keep a couple of decent credit earning tanks at tiers 5 or 6 unless you're planning on buying a premium tank for that purpose.

Most of my crews only have 2 or 3 skills, and honestly once you've got the core skills for your tank (6th sense + BIA + safe stowage + repairs/camo) everything else really only provides marginal bonuses.

dunniteowl #10 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 16:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

I agree with Uberdice.  I would have taken longer, so there's that as well.

If you want to switch fully trained crews into a new tank, you definitely SHOULD have them trained to 100% in their crew qualification, especially if you're not using Gold to retrain without losing XP.  I'm a cheap bastid and retrain with credits MOST TIMES.  On occasion I will use Gold, because I had that crew for so long and I really don't want to lose anything from them for the new unit.

Overall, as I have played lower tiers mostly (nearly exclusively due to my extremely potatoey craptop that gets 11 fps at lowest SD quality settings on a rural wireless connection) I have a bit of familiarity with crew switching when they are not fully trained as well.  And, because I am a cheap bastid and a FTPP, I use credits for most of my transactions with crew, I know a bit about the math of whether or not you should retrain a crew to a new tank or just get a whole new crew.

This is different for Premium Crews that come with Premium Tanks (I call them premium Crews, because those are the ones that tend to be Zero Skill BIA crews that come with a Premium Purchase or an Earned/Won/Gifted Premium unit).  You SHOULD take these crews out of those Premium Tanks and slap them into something more fitting -- and, in this sort of instance, I would spend GOLD to do it, so you don't lose any XP value on your Skills/Perks during the transfer.

Any other crew, I most likely will take the Regimental Training at 20K credits per crew when I move them to a new tank.  This is ONLY when I switch from Same Class to Same Class.  Like a Med Tank to another Med Tank.  That's a 10% hit to your overall XP as long as your crew is above 85% Qualification, it is worth moving them for credits, though just barely.

In that Crew section I linked, you can see that a Regimental Training level of Retraining Crews provides you a 75% minimum Crew OR 90% of their Previous Qualification.  In short it bones you for 10% of each: Crew Qualification (your ability to operate your tank) and Each Skill or Perk in their File.  Thus, if you have a 100% crew, with BIA, another skill full and part of a third, it will take 10% from EACH of those.

It is hard to note, because it does it like this.  Example:  100% Crew, BIA, Repairs, Firefighting (I use these for purposes of ease of example as ALL crew can have these particular skills/perks) and the last one is at 70%.

Crew                   BIA                   Repairs              Firefighting

100%                 100%                  100%                  70%

Train to new tank with Regimental Training @ 20K credits per CM.  Same Class of tank, Med to Med.  90% of original value.  What it does...

Crew                   BIA                   Repairs              Firefighting

90%                    90%                    90%                   60%

How it Looks when you see it:

Crew                   BIA                   Repairs              Firefighting

100%                 100%                  100%                   30%

The reason it looks like this, even though it is actually taking 10% from each of the skills and crew qualification is because the system is automatically reapportioning those XP points to ensure that all the Qualification, first and second skill slots are FULL (at 100%) so that it can start adding more points to the last Skill/Perk in line.  This is automatic and the reason is that it makes it easier for the system to continue training your crew in a stable manner.  After all, you wouldn't want to have to wait for your Crew Qualification to reach 100% from 90%, then start working on your BIA until it's done, then start working on your Repairs, etc. until they are also done.

That would be too painful and hard on the players.  So they scoot the extra points from the last skill or perk and use what it has to 'fill' the balance missing from the ones before them as much as it can until it's at zero.  This is why some folks say, "Don't retrain or reset Crew Skills until you have your last Skill/Perk at least at 50% (for normal two or three skill crews being moved)"  This is to account for that automatic reapportionment such that it does not leave you a zero % Skill to start over from scratch.

If you have a situation like that and feel you just HAVE to keep the crew and move it to a new unit, then, if you have it, I would use GOLD to retrain.  I wouldn't do this as a 'casual' affair in my case.  I am a cheap bastid, because I am.  I don't mind spending real money for things of estimable value, I just don't have it to spare in RL for this game at this time, so I have to be cheap and patient.  I mean, why else would I be using an aging laptop made in 2010 to play if I had cash to spare, right?

So my advice, when it comes to 'currency transactions' in this game is to use credits whenever possible, take the hit to the %s and go on from there.  If you have gold and plenty of money for a premium account, by all means, please use gold and help keep the game funded.  You support me when you do that, and I feel that's a good thing.  ;)

In return for this beneficence by paying players, I have accepted my role as cannon fodder for the paying players and have also taken it upon myself to do as much as I can to 'give back' to the community that supports my playing.  I hope that it equates to a fair deal all the way 'round.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Aug 28 2019 - 16:09.

BUNNYHUGGERI #11 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 16:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 58519 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

How do you not have any battles in tier 1?

Just curious if my settings are off.

dunniteowl #12 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 17:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

View PostBUNNYHUGGERI, on Aug 28 2019 - 09:28, said:

How do you not have any battles in tier 1?

Just curious if my settings are off.

Looking at his profile, it looks like he sold off all his Initial Tier Is and then bought the ones he has as premiums, working his way to purchase the others.

OvO

BakaLyfe #13 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 21:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles
I actually haven't sold any of my tier 1s. I started with a number of free tanks from the Golf Care package, an invite code, and one premium tank bundle purchase that came with 30 days of Premium. And the tutorial starts you off in a German tier 2 Light Tank that you upgrade to tier 3 and take with you into the actual game, which I used to pay for the tier 4 Light Tank I used for majority of my playtime. Then once I finished the Briefing and For Glory missions, I got a free tier 6 token and bought the O-I with it on a whim, which looking back was probably a mistake.

dunniteowl #14 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 22:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

View PostBakaLyfe, on Aug 28 2019 - 14:16, said:

I actually haven't sold any of my tier 1s. I started with a number of free tanks from the Golf Care package, an invite code, and one premium tank bundle purchase that came with 30 days of Premium. And the tutorial starts you off in a German tier 2 Light Tank that you upgrade to tier 3 and take with you into the actual game, which I used to pay for the tier 4 Light Tank I used for majority of my playtime. Then once I finished the Briefing and For Glory missions, I got a free tier 6 token and bought the O-I with it on a whim, which looking back was probably a mistake.

So where are the now 11 tier I tanks that come with every game download for the first time?  Each nation in the system starts with a Free Tier I tank and they aren't in your stable.  They'd show as played if you had.

I'm curious.  When you got your package, is that how you Started Playing?  This is stuff that, after nearly five years, has definitely changed and knowing how it works now would be easier for me to help newer players.  Care to share?

Thanks!

OvO

BakaLyfe #15 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 22:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Aug 28 2019 - 13:06, said:

So where are the now 11 tier I tanks that come with every game download for the first time? 

Still in my depot. I've literally never used any of them. Here's a screenshot of my Depot showing all of them, except the German and Italian Tier 1s, which I'm not entirely sure what happened to them. I do know that I didn't do any public matches until I finished the tutorial, and I'm pretty much 100% certain that my first public match was in the Pz. 38 (t). 

And yes, when I got the package is when I started playing. I didn't play before then. 

[EDIT] Fixed link

Edited by BakaLyfe, Aug 28 2019 - 22:42.

dunniteowl #16 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 22:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

Thanks!  So the way I thought it was was incorrect, though the overall form is that if you never played one, then it doesn't show in the battle lists of tanks you've played.

Actually, I didn't know that until just now.  So, I learned something new today.  Thanks for posting that image for me.

OvO

BakaLyfe #17 Posted Aug 28 2019 - 23:12

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Aug 28 2019 - 13:57, said:

Thanks!  So the way I thought it was was incorrect, though the overall form is that if you never played one, then it doesn't show in the battle lists of tanks you've played.

Actually, I didn't know that until just now.  So, I learned something new today.  Thanks for posting that image for me.

OvO

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I think I remembered what happened to my German and Italian Tier Is. I sold them to make room in the garage for the German Tier IV Light Tank and Italian Tier III Medium tank. I can rebuy them from the tech tree though for 0 credits. >> I'd normally be playing right now but this week's kinda bad for me for gaming.  Hopefully next week I'll be able to devote more time to battling and learning the maps.

Also tagged with Help, newbie, newcomer, crew skills, training, heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users