GSOR comments and Steel Hunter post Frontline experience

GSOR steel hunter frontline

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

fierronights #1 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 04:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8742 battles

Wrap up: GSOR stock so far is a sluggish LHMTV. Frontline is fun but its feels like a grind. Steel Hunter has lots of bonds to win and a badge to have next to your name during MM. I didnt play wot seriously until i started the light British line. Made rank 15 in Steel Hunter. 

This wont be my official GSOR review with the events going on atm, but wanted to touch on it for anyone interested. 

Still on stock. I used a training booklet for my new crew and with the credits earned in frontline, I bought one of those training booklets. Those things are nice, combined with a training manual I got a full perk and a second at 54% for the whole crew. Its a nice start, so those books are a nice if you have a few million after events. Anyway, the GSOR feels sluggish, it does remove the bad gun elevation issues the LHMTV had but its sluggish. You can take a hit and slowly move away. Hiding in a bush doesnt work as well, other tanks can spot even better than before. You can reach out and touch crippled tanks though but when in the crowd, with both teams exchanging fire, the slow turn speed and sluggishness means any moment your rammed, recovery isnt easy and youll be a shot away from death. Ill write up more when i finish upgrading. 

Recently frontline. That was a fun event, sucks it was only a week. I often found myself wanting to grind feeling obligated to do so because i had to catch up from past weeks i never attended which automatically felt discouraging as a newer player. So often during the week I didnt feel like doing it. Creativity here could have shined map wise but it was fun to play on a big map for once. The LHMTV was not my go to tank but it did handle like a nice sniper that could move around. The grind felt long but the large map feels like these tanks can stretch their legs. Shooting from a distance with accuracy felt much more engaging and a nice game play style knowing when someone on your team is dead, it doesnt mean your left for dead right away. With the grind feeling long though, it seemed most players didnt care about much else other then trying to rank up which was more a focus in game chat. Frontline is an experience. If you meet someone whos been there, theres not much to talk about. I recall seeing it as an option instead of random matches and seeing that count down. I was thinking this is some big event. Its a grind for some tanks. Thats the candy wrapped up. Hard candy in the wrapper, thats all your getting in return. You can get a badge but the grind sucks. 

Steel Hunter. Oh man. After front line was over i wanted to take a break from the game period and this mode was the cherry on top of that. I set up a new aquarium and periodically thinking frontline still on my mind. What the heck was this steel hunter stuff now. I played a few matches and i got annoyed at first. Sometimes getting shot and killed right away, having a menu to press combo keys pop up and cover the screen and when I got busted down in rank I felt like just saying f this. But I didnt want to quit, and ill explain in a moment why. After each death I went over the rules and such feeling sore, then I saw once you get to rank 5 you wont get busted down below that. So I saw it as a step, made it, and its a nice way to get over 700 bonds.

I liked making bonds, but then while frustrated i was in a random match feeling empty from FLevent thinking " back to this again". And then I saw next to someones name that badge. Thats right, in steel hunter you can earn a badge at rank 15. For myself, I wanted that something next to my name at the start of random matches. I didnt have a badge for all the matches over 7k iv played. So I decided to grab some beers, light up some hookah coals and get some music going. Turned down most of the other stuff in the game sound and listened to slow paced music on pandora. What i did keep on was the sounds of the environment. Which with headphones is nice. 

Steel Hunter. so with the sound more tuned to me being in the zone for this. The game played out better. You dont always know whos around you and you can give off your position easily. You can hear other tanks destroying things like light posts and such which unlike in random matches can now be used to your advantage when not wanting to be spotted while blind. You can also hear the crashing sound of upgrades spawning in the area with the other sounds removed. After upgrading your tank in so many matches, youll get the menu that pops up annoyingly down almost to memory, one after the next so its not an issue anymore.

Sometimes i felt gained up on and tag teamed. Leaving me suspicious that platoons where battling eachother and i was just a filler used to round out the player limit of 20 for the match

Regardless, i found my style and kept it up. After getting my own style down, the game felt like a mix of intuition and strategy of wits. It felt like the british light tank line was training for this. Confrontation, requires tactful movement and use of abilities down to the second. You can heal yourself between an opponents reload and linger around the center of the entire map to upgrade your tank and destroy anyone in the area that pops off a radar ping with all the air drops that youll get access to. 

Like In frontline, smoke is a compile tool. You can also set traps which helps securing the center to block off access to it while getting a couple of shots into a slow motion moving target which a trap does to opponents. 

Track opponents following you, especially if they seem to be gaining up on you as a team. Pay attention to the time in between shots, if your avoiding fire you need to know intuitively when to drive around cover with the various destroyed cars and tanks that are used as props in the middle of roads and use those to block line of fire. 

If your in a loosing confrontation, use all of your power ups. Dont save a stack of power ups for someone else to take over your dead tank. Use all your tools wisely and as often as you can as they give an upper hand. Thats just my tip because screw the other guys when your dead, use all that ammo up if your going down. 

If you stay near the edges of the map which shrinks over time, you'll often find yourself pinged between more than one tank and trapped between a shrinking map which kills you in 15 seconds and forced confrontation with two tanks at once. The issue with being near the edges and multiple tanks is you can easily be tag teamed before the two go at each other after your dead. Unlike the center which allows several routs to lay down traps at. 

When facing a heavier opponent, track so they use a repair kit, hit their ammo rack then engine. If your out classed, the tanks have weak spots explained in the game. Pick up blue power ups and use them. Saving and stacking is just time against you. The faster you can remove opponents off the map the greater your chances of getting a chevron to keep progressing in rank if you delay, you wont have much room to fight if any during the show down matches as the map shrinks. 

If you engage in combat as fast as you can when the match starts, you risk losing chevrons and rank along with having your position given away to others who know you've just been in combat and most likely have less resources now if you survive. 

Reaching rank 10 in steel hunter gives the title ' hunter '. I didnt know what that was and didnt see anywhere what the hell a title was or where it was displayed. It goes on your dog tags. Your dog tags probably have ' tank man ' on them like a noob, jk. Thats a title. So with SH rank 10 you can get " HUNTER " on your tags instead of the defualt/given to everyone free, "tankman".

Iv never had a badge before next to my name during match ups. For those who dont either, once you get it at rank 15 in steel hunter. You have to click on it when in your profile and a check mark will show up on it and glow. Then it will be displayed. 

There is a new mechanic for when your tank flips over. Im not sure how exactly it works but spamming turning and giving the tank some gas while flipped engages a 5 second timer that when done properly will reset your tank right side up. A nice feature game wise that i hope to see more of. 

Edited by fierronights, Aug 29 2019 - 06:43.

TankFullOfBourbon #2 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 11:05

Major

• Players
  • 30537 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Thanks for sharing.

ThePigSheFlies #3 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 19:15

Major

• Players
  • 75542 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Postfierronights, on Aug 28 2019 - 22:11, said:

Wrap up: GSOR stock so far is a sluggish LHMTV. Frontline is fun but its feels like a grind. Steel Hunter has lots of bonds to win and a badge to have next to your name during MM. I didnt play wot seriously until i started the light British line. Made rank 15 in Steel Hunter. 

This wont be my official GSOR review with the events going on atm, but wanted to touch on it for anyone interested. 

Still on stock. I used a training booklet for my new crew and with the credits earned in frontline, I bought one of those training booklets. Those things are nice, combined with a training manual I got a full perk and a second at 54% for the whole crew. Its a nice start, so those books are a nice if you have a few million after events. 

at tier 9, my LTs have 4-5+ perks.  one, is nearly done with their 7th set.  might have something to do with being out spotted...

Also tagged with GSOR, steel hunter, frontline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users