Jump to content


Any GA Pilots out there?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

WaywardChild #1 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 22:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013
I'm a Pilot with 300+ hrs and I own a Cessna c150H. Anyone else? I'm working on my Commercial ticket, I've been offered a job letting people jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. Also available to me is towing gliders and banners. I've flown 172's, 182's, PA-28's, c210, A Mooney, a Cirrus, even a Funk taildragger.  I'm just saying hi and looking for like minded people for hanger talk/stories/'toons.

_Koschei_ #2 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 22:39

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 33562 battles
  • 255
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI
  • Member since:
    05-14-2011

View PostWaywardChild, on Sep 01 2019 - 15:31, said:

I'm a Pilot with 300+ hrs and I own a Cessna c150H. Anyone else? I'm working on my Commercial ticket, I've been offered a job letting people jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. Also available to me is towing gliders and banners. I've flown 172's, 182's, PA-28's, c210, A Mooney, a Cirrus, even a Funk taildragger.  I'm just saying hi and looking for like minded people for hanger talk/stories/'toons.

 

cessna 150 is generally used as a trainer not a very good plane especially for jumping it is underpowered IMO.

 

 towing banners is what alot of beginning pilots do to get hours while working toward a commercial charter license. it does not pay very well though

 

I'm not from GA  but I have several thousand hour's because I was raised in an airport.   my family mainly done charter and crop dusting. as well as rebuild/repair planes.

182 and 210 cessna's are decent private pilot planes.  as for myself I prefer STOL planes and taildraggers

 

I think it should be mandatory to learn flying in a tail dragger with a stick and rudder ....euro coupes should never have been made and cessna's well they just kill doctors :(



GeorgePreddy #3 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 22:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,868
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

I'm a  retired pro pilot.  17,000+ flight hours, no accidents or incidents.

 

I have time in over 100 different aircraft types.

 

I did primary flight instruction in Cessna 150s when I was 19 years old in the late 1960s at a little country airport/gliderport called Strawberry Hill Soaring Center located near Advance N.C. in Davie County.

 

I also flew sailplanes (including a very rare Bowlus BS-100 Super Albatross) and towed them with a 150 horsepower Super Cub.

 

I had a 42 year flying career culminating in being a Captain on a 543 seat Boeing 747-300, flying globally.

 

I'd be glad to swap stories and/or answer aviation questions. PM me anytime.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Capt_Maddox #4 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 22:59

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 9915 battles
  • 38
  • [2VETS] 2VETS
  • Member since:
    11-03-2011

Soloed at 16 yrs old in '72, Private ticket in '76.  I have time in the Cessna 150, 170, 172, 182, Piper J-3 (helped my Dad restore 2), J-4, PA-18 Super Cub, Tripacer, Pacer, assorted Cherokees, Aeronca Champ, Luscomb... and a couple of memory making hours in a restored Stearman.  My Dad gave me my first ride when I was 6 months old (can't say I remember). I continued that story with my children at that age, although they never caught the bug. I've been hanging around airplanes and airports for a long time, my head turning skyward at the slightest sound.  So Hi back, Wayward Child and safe landings!



GeorgePreddy #5 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 23:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,868
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

View Post_Koschei_, on Sep 01 2019 - 18:39, said:

I think it should be mandatory to learn flying in a tail dragger with a stick and rudder   That's not right... I mean, I love taildraggers and have lots of flying time in them. I owned an Aeronca 7AC Champ and a share of a J-3 Cub, and flew a US Mail Star Route in Twin Beeches, but what you suggest here is like saying every driver should have to learn to drive a Model T.

 

....euro coupes should never have been made and cessna's well they just kill doctors :(    It's an Ercoupe, not "euro coupe", and I did not like flying it because of the lack of independent rudder controls, so I agree that it is not a very desirable aircraft from my point of view.

 

Also, it was the V-tailed Bonanza that was originally called a Doctor killer, not Cessnas.  It got the rep from pilots with more money than flying experience (like M.D.s) getting in over their heads by buying high performance retractable gear singles in the 1950s.  The exact nickname was "Fork Tailed Dr. Killer".  The v-tail design exacerbated the situation by making the Model 35 Bonanza a bit less stable than conventional tailed competitors.

 

 



WaywardChild #6 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 23:27

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013
Hahaha I'm not towing anything  IN the 150! I'm 240lbs and have trouble finding passengers <190lbs already! The 150 is strictly solo fun. I would use the 182 for towing and tossing out meatbags. Dang Mr. Preddy, congratulations. I know it was all a lot of hard work. I have a friend who flies for United between SFO and Hong Kong and He loves it. Its been >90 degrees here lately so not a lot of flying going on. I get my hours in before 0900. I like flying early morning in the dark, that way when I get lost the sun comes up and points me home. hahaha I would give a minor body part to fly a Stearman. I flew in one years ago and that's kind of what got me started. Hey Capt. Maddox

WaywardChild #7 Posted Sep 01 2019 - 23:34

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013
Great Bonanza knowledge there......Almost bought one, changed my mind and looked at the Arrow. Found a couple stories where the wings fell off. Think I'm sticking with Cessna....I'm a Nurse, not a MD hahaha I want to LIVE!

mlinke #8 Posted Sep 02 2019 - 00:13

    Captain

  • Players
  • 53566 battles
  • 1,606
  • [FIXX] FIXX
  • Member since:
    06-14-2011

View PostCapt_Maddox, on Sep 01 2019 - 22:59, said:

Soloed at 16 yrs old in '72, Private ticket in '76.  I have time in the Cessna 150, 170, 172, 182, Piper J-3 (helped my Dad restore 2), J-4, PA-18 Super Cub, Tripacer, Pacer, assorted Cherokees, Aeronca Champ, Luscomb... and a couple of memory making hours in a restored Stearman.  My Dad gave me my first ride when I was 6 months old (can't say I remember). I continued that story with my children at that age, although they never caught the bug. I've been hanging around airplanes and airports for a long time, my head turning skyward at the slightest sound.  So Hi back, Wayward Child and safe landings!

Wish I had a dad like that.



Capt_Maddox #9 Posted Sep 02 2019 - 00:41

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 9915 battles
  • 38
  • [2VETS] 2VETS
  • Member since:
    11-03-2011

Hey Wayward Child, I'm sure a minor body part would go very far towards a Stearman today!  Buggers cost a small fortune.  The one I flew is owned by a retired Naval Aviator (F-4's) and FedEx DC-10 Captain who bought it as a basket case while in High School!  Talk about foresight!  I don't know what C 150's  _Koschei_'s flown, but I never once thought or heard anyone complain about it being under-powered.  As far as the Ercoupe goes, my Dad's 1st cousin (my 2nd?) lost a leg in New Guinea during the war (he was a kicker in C-47's) and afterwords learned to fly on the GI bill in an Ercoupe.  Had it not been for the Ercoupe he may have never known the joy of solo flight.  Have you ever heard of a Breezy?  Got few hours in one...high wing home built pusher with two open seats bolted in tandem to basically a TV tower.  I never said I was real bright as a young man, but what fun I had!  A last parting word...in this instance GA I believe stands for General Aviation...not Georgia.  Clear skies and tail winds to all!

 

BTW, a kicker flew in Army Air Corps C-47's and kicked the air dropped cargo out the door.  He usually one of the biggest guys in the Squadron.


Edited by Capt_Maddox, Sep 02 2019 - 00:46.


WaywardChild #10 Posted Sep 02 2019 - 05:20

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013

Cheers to you Capt! Great stories, mine are not near as colorful. Kids finally graduated college and my eldest grandson asked me if I would help him buy a car.....I bought the c150 instead hahaha told him to get a job and maybe his dreams would come true just like mine did. hahaha clear sky's mate.

 



_Koschei_ #11 Posted Sep 02 2019 - 12:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 33562 battles
  • 255
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI
  • Member since:
    05-14-2011

we used a split tail bonanza for charter ....was a great plane. 

 

for stearman's that was what we used to dust with....we threw away the 220 continentals and replaced them with the 450 pratt's 

 

....very fun planes.  not for beginner's they would ground loop if ya didn't have your hand on throttle and ducks in a row lol

 

I still favor super cubs myself.....



WaywardChild #12 Posted Sep 03 2019 - 05:29

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013
I'd like to fly a Super Cub but I worry about horsepower. My c150 has the Continental 0-200 in at 100hp (?). Smaller? yikes, I don't know. 

_Koschei_ #13 Posted Sep 03 2019 - 20:35

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 33562 battles
  • 255
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI
  • Member since:
    05-14-2011

View PostWaywardChild, on Sep 02 2019 - 22:29, said:

I'd like to fly a Super Cub but I worry about horsepower. My c150 has the Continental 0-200 in at 100hp (?). Smaller? yikes, I don't know. 


you cant get to much HP :)



GeorgePreddy #14 Posted Sep 04 2019 - 00:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,868
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

View PostWaywardChild, on Sep 01 2019 - 19:34, said:

Great Bonanza knowledge there......Almost bought one, changed my mind and looked at the Arrow. Found a couple stories where the wings fell off. Think I'm sticking with Cessna....I'm a Nurse, not a MD hahaha I want to LIVE!

 

The wings didn't just "fall" off, they were ripped off due to a high speed graveyard spiral when pull out was attempted prior to leveling the wings.

 

Something like that happened to John-John Kennedy, he was in a high performance, retractable single, over a dark ocean and without an instrument rating with visibility at about 3 miles.  It was a terrible spot for an amateur pilot with no instrument rating.  He used poor judgement when he took off that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Quikzdraw #15 Posted Sep 08 2019 - 08:48

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 14365 battles
  • 125
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Sep 03 2019 - 18:35, said:

 

The wings didn't just "fall" off, they were ripped off due to a high speed graveyard spiral when pull out was attempted prior to leveling the wings.

 

Something like that happened to John-John Kennedy, he was in a high performance, retractable single, over a dark ocean and without an instrument rating with visibility at about 3 miles.  It was a terrible spot for an amateur pilot with no instrument rating.  He used poor judgement when he took off that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hmm next you will be saying I was there I was  there , I saw the wings rip off . Just like your recent golf story . I was there I  was there in 1978 when Arnold Palmer hit a 13 the hole eagle. I was there I was there standing next to celebrities it was wowwwwweeee

FACT.

Arnold palmer did not hit a 13 the hole eagle you so well described in 1978 but he did in 1958.

So readers be aware of Ron aka George stories that he gets off the internet .



WaywardChild #16 Posted Sep 08 2019 - 13:59

    Captain

  • Players
  • 39387 battles
  • 1,423
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013

Look up "Embry Riddle PA-28R Daytona Beach". Low wing aircraft and flight school stress. 

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users