Jump to content


I'm loving the T21...Experimented w/Equipment Setup w/Good Results

t21 PassiveScoutSetup

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

APA_Woody #1 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 14:09

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

When I first started playing the game, I had no clue (as is usually the case) and thought I would enjoy the fast, mobile features of light tanks because they were fun to drive. So, I played mostly US Lights up to the Bulldog, but did VERY POORLY. Eventually, I learned more about the game mechanics and shifted focus to other types of tanks and tech trees and realized I had completely bungled my run up the US LT tree, so I decided last weekend to give it a go on the T71 DA line. I had already unlocked the t21 but never actually purchased the tank, so I figured I'd start there.

 

I didn't do too much research on the tank itself other than a quick read on the WoT wiki and one or two YouTube vids, but what I decided to do was attempt to make this thing as good of a passive scout as possible. So, in seeing some folks talk about using an equipment setup I'd never used before, I went with Binocs, Optics, and Camo Net. My commander has 6th, concealment, and about 40% towards Recon, the rest of the crew has first skill maxed to concealment and next skill focused on extending view range for radio operator, one of the driving perks for driver (smooth ride maybe), can't remember what gunner is working towards, and loader is working on repairs. I think view range is somewhere around 520 or so right now, and I've ran the concealment directive most of the time as well to further enhance their concealment.

 

Results have been pretty awesome in the first 40 battles, and the tank is by far my highest rated tank thus far (wn8 of 2518). I aced it and earned first MoE last night, and I'm hoping the good times continue because I had sworn off playing lights for a while after I screwed the pooch so bad the first time around!



Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 14:33

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5008 battles
  • 1,060
  • [TCM] TCM
  • Member since:
    12-25-2017
Noice

MiddleAgedNoob #3 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 14:40

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • 675
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

Great job OP.  I really enjoyed the T21 when I played it, also heading to the DA.  I found that it's gun was really good for its class and tier and it was very effective in the end game.  I set mine up for a more active role than you have set yours up, going with optics, vents and vstabs.  With a decent crew, you still get plenty of view range, and I found that given the relatively large size of the vehicle, camo was not its strong point anyway.,  Crew skills wise. second skill for the driver for me is always ORD for the mobility boost, and I would go with snap shot for the gunner.  If you are playing it with a camo net and binos, you are going to want to minimize hull movement in any case.  YMMV.

 

Just to note that the DA is a whole different ball game, especially if you aren't experienced with auto loaders.

 

GLHF



Ken_McGuire #4 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 14:46

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31510 battles
  • 1,754
  • [CLASS] CLASS
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012
Personally I am not a fan of binos and camo net on LT's since throwing so much equipment at passive spotting is limiting on so many maps. That said, you are making it work - and work quite well. Congratulations!

APA_Woody #5 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 14:55

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Sep 05 2019 - 08:40, said:

Great job OP.  I really enjoyed the T21 when I played it, also heading to the DA.  I found that it's gun was really good for its class and tier and it was very effective in the end game.  I set mine up for a more active role than you have set yours up, going with optics, vents and vstabs.  With a decent crew, you still get plenty of view range, and I found that given the relatively large size of the vehicle, camo was not its strong point anyway.,  Crew skills wise. second skill for the driver for me is always ORD for the mobility boost, and I would go with snap shot for the gunner.  If you are playing it with a camo net and binos, you are going to want to minimize hull movement in any case.  YMMV.

 

Just to note that the DA is a whole different ball game, especially if you aren't experienced with auto loaders.

 

GLHF

 

 

Thanks! Yeah, in regards to auto-loaders, after last Christmas's  holiday stuff with the awesome female crew members from the holiday cheer stuff, I put them towards the French light tank line, and plopped them in my AMX-12t, which had been the best-performing tank until now (193 battles at 1855 wn8). My experience with the 12t (and the EBR FL wheelie premo in Frontline) is another reason I wanted to work towards the DA.

 

I appreciate your feedback, and I'll definitely check what the gunner and driver skills are set to on the t21 right now.


Edited by APA_Woody, Sep 05 2019 - 14:56.


APA_Woody #6 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 15:00

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostKen_McGuire, on Sep 05 2019 - 08:46, said:

Personally I am not a fan of binos and camo net on LT's since throwing so much equipment at passive spotting is limiting on so many maps. That said, you are making it work - and work quite well. Congratulations!


Yeah, I hear ya loud and clear and had never tried this approach before now. In those less-than-ideal maps (city maps especially) I try to adjust to a more support role. This tank is a bit too slow to really thrive as an active scout, but it plays the passive role quite well and has a really effective gun overall.



Peak_Bagger #7 Posted Sep 05 2019 - 16:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 19827 battles
  • 1,400
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-
  • Member since:
    03-16-2017
Great work, Woody! I was surprised at the T21 as well. I haven't played it much, if at all, since I moved up to the T71, but I decided it was a keeper. And I have it set up almost as you have it with camo and binocs. It works for me and is a fine passive scout.

APA_Woody #8 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 13:30

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

On my 79th battle I earned the 2nd Mark of Excellence in the T21. This is the only tank I've ever 2-marked, and I'm going to attempt to 3-mark it if possible as it's earned a special place in my <3. While not as good of wn8 as original, it's still my best tank overall with a 57% win rate and a 2175.69 wn8 in those 79 battles. It's been hard to play anything else right now because I've enjoyed this so much. Frontline took a backseat to me attempting to get this second MoE last night, and I ended the night on a high note. o7

 

:medal:

 

 

 

 



MiddleAgedNoob #9 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 14:27

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • 675
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostAPA_Woody, on Sep 19 2019 - 07:30, said:

On my 79th battle I earned the 2nd Mark of Excellence in the T21. This is the only tank I've ever 2-marked, and I'm going to attempt to 3-mark it if possible as it's earned a special place in my <3. While not as good of wn8 as original, it's still my best tank overall with a 57% win rate and a 2175.69 wn8 in those 79 battles. It's been hard to play anything else right now because I've enjoyed this so much. Frontline took a backseat to me attempting to get this second MoE last night, and I ended the night on a high note. o7

 

:medal:

 

 

 

Good job OP!  Are you still running the binos/optics/net setup?  It looks like you racked up a lot of assist in that battle, so it's clearly working for you.

 

Edited to add:  You're currently number 10 on the server for September!  https://worldoftanks.com/en/ratings/vehicles/A71_T21/#wot&w_uid=1029406222  Nice!

 

GLHF


Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Sep 19 2019 - 14:37.


Not_Connery #10 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 05:37

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7583 battles
  • 726
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017

Yeah, I had roughly the same experience with the T21 (though I set mine up for active OR passive scouting with vents, rammer, and optics).

 

When I went and looked for reviews/guides on the T21, I was disheartened by how many people (including a certain Dutch WoT streamer who shall go unnamed) essentially said that it sucks when compared to anything else.  But then I actually went and looked at the stats, and they just didn't seem to make sense compared to how many people were/are griping about it.

 

I actually had the same experience with the Chaffee, with a lot of people saying that it is now useless or garbage after it was nerfed.  I aced it and have had a good number of VERY fun games in it (while firing very little gold ammo).  It (meaning the Chaffee) is and will be a keeper for me.

 

You just keep doing you, my dude!


Edited by Not_Connery, Sep 20 2019 - 05:39.


APA_Woody #11 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 13:16

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Sep 19 2019 - 08:27, said:

 

Good job OP!  Are you still running the binos/optics/net setup?  It looks like you racked up a lot of assist in that battle, so it's clearly working for you.

 

Edited to add:  You're currently number 10 on the server for September!  https://worldoftanks.com/en/ratings/vehicles/A71_T21/#wot&w_uid=1029406222  Nice!

 

GLHF

 

Oh WOW! Had no idea that was even a thing to look up! Pretty cool stuff, and I had no idea I've been playing this tank that well. Thanks for sharing that!

 

And yes, I'm still running that binocs, optics, camo net setup. The crew isn't the greatest overall yet (I don't have a US light tank crew trainer yet - plan to nab the t92 at some point), but they are max camo skill, and I also typically use the camo directive. It's a pretty gnarly setup if I may say so myself, and I think I'd play the new British light tank line very similarly as I saw Guido use them much like this with good success when reviewing those tanks (especially the tier vii and viii).



APA_Woody #12 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 13:21

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostNot_Connery, on Sep 19 2019 - 23:37, said:

Yeah, I had roughly the same experience with the T21 (though I set mine up for active OR passive scouting with vents, rammer, and optics).

 

When I went and looked for reviews/guides on the T21, I was disheartened by how many people (including a certain Dutch WoT streamer who shall go unnamed) essentially said that it sucks when compared to anything else.  But then I actually went and looked at the stats, and they just didn't seem to make sense compared to how many people were/are griping about it.

 

I actually had the same experience with the Chaffee, with a lot of people saying that it is now useless or garbage after it was nerfed.  I aced it and have had a good number of VERY fun games in it (while firing very little gold ammo).  It (meaning the Chaffee) is and will be a keeper for me.

 

You just keep doing you, my dude!

 

 

Thanks! I plan on it because it's been a LOT of fun!



MiddleAgedNoob #13 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 15:46

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • 675
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostAPA_Woody, on Sep 20 2019 - 07:16, said:

 

The crew isn't the greatest overall yet (I don't have a US light tank crew trainer yet - plan to nab the t92 at some point).

 

The T92 is not considered a very competitive tier VIII light, and the crew set up is a bit different than the T21.  In fact the T21 crew layout is unlike any of the US premium lights, as it has five crew, including a dedicated RO.  If and when you move to the T71 DA, you will also lose the RO, as well as the Loader.  An alternative to consider is the Locust at tier III.  It's dirt cheap, lots of fun to play and the crew layout matches the DA, more or less.  Or, if you have 250k silver, drop a book on them.  On the other hand, if you go up the other US light branch, which have dedicated Loaders, the T92 crew layout fits better.

 

GLHF



APA_Woody #14 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 15:07

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Sep 20 2019 - 09:46, said:

 

The T92 is not considered a very competitive tier VIII light, and the crew set up is a bit different than the T21.  In fact the T21 crew layout is unlike any of the US premium lights, as it has five crew, including a dedicated RO.  If and when you move to the T71 DA, you will also lose the RO, as well as the Loader.  An alternative to consider is the Locust at tier III.  It's dirt cheap, lots of fun to play and the crew layout matches the DA, more or less.  Or, if you have 250k silver, drop a book on them.  On the other hand, if you go up the other US light branch, which have dedicated Loaders, the T92 crew layout fits better.

 

GLHF


Yeah, I've worked the other line up to through the Bulldog and have unlocked, but not played, the T49. I do have the locust already and have used it a bit to have some fun, but I don't see it as a great trainer overall really due to the tier it's in. I do think I'll purchase the t92 soonish, but I'm just enjoying the t21 for now for the foreseeable future.

 

I'm wondering if I set up the t92 in this fashion what sort of outcomes I would garner? Hmmm...:sceptic:



Ken_McGuire #15 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 15:19

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31510 battles
  • 1,754
  • [CLASS] CLASS
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012
I suspect you will be able to transition to the T92 fairly well. The T92 has quite good camo and view range. I wish it had a bit more mobility to get out of dodge when I accidentally overextend, but from what I recall of how you play the T21, you should do fine.

APA_Woody #16 Posted Sep 24 2019 - 13:51

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 5862 battles
  • 88
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostKen_McGuire, on Sep 21 2019 - 09:19, said:

I suspect you will be able to transition to the T92 fairly well. The T92 has quite good camo and view range. I wish it had a bit more mobility to get out of dodge when I accidentally overextend, but from what I recall of how you play the T21, you should do fine.

 

That's my hope anyhow! Thanks! o7



MiddleAgedNoob #17 Posted Sep 24 2019 - 16:40

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • 675
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostAPA_Woody, on Sep 21 2019 - 09:07, said:


Yeah, I've worked the other line up to through the Bulldog and have unlocked, but not played, the T49. I do have the locust already and have used it a bit to have some fun, but I don't see it as a great trainer overall really due to the tier it's in. I do think I'll purchase the t92 soonish, but I'm just enjoying the t21 for now for the foreseeable future.

 

I'm wondering if I set up the t92 in this fashion what sort of outcomes I would garner? Hmmm...:sceptic:

 

Just to note that low tier premiums get a larger battle experience bonus than do higher tier premiums.  https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/premium-vehicle-improvements/ If you have accelerated crew training set, that xp will go to the least skilled crew member, or should.  I've populated premiums with skilled crew members, with the exception of the Commander, so as to ensure that all the xp from accelerated crew training goes to the Commander.

 

GLHF







Also tagged with t21, PassiveScoutSetup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users