Jump to content


Shooting mechanics sapping the fun out of WOT and spall liners seem useless against HE ammo

mechanics spall liner accuracy penetration

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

creasey #1 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 01:58

    Private

  • Players
  • 40411 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    06-10-2013

I am a long-time player, and I have become frustrated with the over-randomization of accuracy and penetration.  The game is less fun than it was years ago before the enormous amount of inconsistency was introduced into the shooting mechanics. Many shots that should be auto penetrations bounce or do not hit at all.  Additionally, I believe that floating variables affect the in-game performance of both accuracy and penetration.  Only a chosen few have not experienced periods when nothing would hit and/or penetrate.  Any statistical analysis returns significance looking at the results of either of these variables indicating intentional skew no matter the P-value used. The only reason I come back to the game nowadays is to play with friends that I have made through the game.  The friends I mentioned and I are actively looking for a new game to play collectively as a replacement for Wargaming's offering. Please restore some consistency to the shooting mechanics making the game more enjoyable which in-turn would eliminate the need to find a replacement game.  

 

Recent gameplay also steers me to believe spall liners have little to no effect on explosive damage.  Damage received from HE seems high and consistently high whether a spall liner is installed or not.   



NeckRomancer #2 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 02:06

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 7633 battles
  • 225
  • Member since:
    08-11-2011

I have 1 spall liner on a tank, it's a super heavy at tier 8, it does help with splash damage , but if i get penned , it's useless.

 

So if you have it on any thing with low armor or your tanks get penned it's really not much help.

 

 



SynfulSun #3 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 02:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 13987 battles
  • 3,287
  • [CMPRE] CMPRE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2012
My JPE100 seems to appreciate it.

heavymetal1967 #4 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 02:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 73126 battles
  • 22,280
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

Spalls only help on splash and non pen HE hits.  If it pens per previous poster spall does nothing.

 

They also cut stun times and help with collisions/ramming.   Their real value seems to be in crew protection.

 

 

 

 



FrozenKemp #5 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 02:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 53783 battles
  • 9,970
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
There has been no enormous amount of inconsistency introduced into the game, I'm afraid.  But believe whatever floats your boat. 

Flarvin #6 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 03:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 54836 battles
  • 17,053
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

Any statistical analysis returns significance looking at the results of either of these variables indicating intentional skew no matter the P-value used. 

 

Please provide links to statistical analysis that prove your claim. 



Flarvin #7 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 03:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 54836 battles
  • 17,053
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostFrozenKemp, on Sep 05 2019 - 20:49, said:

There has been no enormous amount of inconsistency introduced into the game, I'm afraid.  But believe whatever floats your boat. 

 

But there is an enormous amount of cognitive bias introduced into the forum. By posts like the OP. lol 



FrozenKemp #8 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 03:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 53783 battles
  • 9,970
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostFlarvin, on Sep 05 2019 - 21:13, said:

 

But there is an enormous amount of cognitive bias introduced into the forum. By posts like the OP. lol 

 

Yeah, basically :(



HeraldricKnight #9 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 03:55

    Captain

  • Players
  • 8751 battles
  • 1,011
  • Member since:
    11-05-2012
If anything, HE mechanics that aren't high caliber are completely useless. Shooting at the guts of an artillery piece with 75mm HE and all it does is do 36 damage and some light module toasting. Other times it one-hit-kills them outright. 

GeorgePreddy #10 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 04:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,667
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 21:58, said:

over-randomization of accuracy and penetration...  The last change to shot dispersion (accuracy) actually improved shot grouping, making much fewer the shots landing in the outer rings.

 

enormous amount of inconsistency was introduced into the shooting mechanics... Last change, as I said above, was positive, and it was years ago.

 

...auto penetrations bounce or do not hit at all.     "auto penetrations... do not hit at all", that's cute

 

I believe that floating variables affect the in-game performance of both accuracy and penetration...  Never go full tin foil !!!

 

Only a chosen few have not experienced periods when nothing would hit and/or penetrate.    How are they "chosen", I want to be in on that.

 

Any statistical analysis... indicating intentional skew no matter the P-value used.  Do you know what a P-value is ?

 

friends I mentioned and I are actively looking for a new game to play... making the game more enjoyable which in-turn would eliminate the need to find a replacement game.  OOOOOOH !   A threat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



SawUcomin #11 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 04:57

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 20 battles
  • 234
  • Member since:
    05-27-2019

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Sep 06 2019 - 04:36, said:

String of useless drivel in oversize bold green font.

 

OOOOOOH...….  A SHILL !!



Pipinghot #12 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 05:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 25960 battles
  • 10,557
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

I am a long-time player, and I have become frustrated with the over-randomization of accuracy and penetration.

Except that hasn't happened.

* Guns are more accurate than they were in the past, accuracy is less random than it used to be

* and there has never been a change to he +/-25% for penetration.

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

Additionally, I believe that floating variables affect the in-game performance of both accuracy and penetration.

Feelings are not facts, your "belief" is incorrect.

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

Any statistical analysis returns significance looking at the results of either of these variables indicating intentional skew no matter the P-value used.

If that's true then you can easily share "any statistical analysis" with the forums. Talk is cheap, evidence is what matters.

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

Please restore some consistency to the shooting mechanics

And again, the shooting mechanics are already more consistent than they used to be, what you're saying simply isn't true.

View Postcreasey, on Sep 05 2019 - 19:58, said:

Recent gameplay also steers me to believe spall liners have little to no effect on explosive damage.  Damage received from HE seems high and consistently high whether a spall liner is installed or not.

They have no effect if it's a penetrating hit, they only matter if it's splash damage, which is how they're supposed to work.



Tuwtles_50B_God #13 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 07:01

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 19009 battles
  • 1,084
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
  • Member since:
    01-19-2015

View PostFrozenKemp, on Sep 05 2019 - 18:49, said:

There has been no enormous amount of inconsistency introduced into the game, I'm afraid.  But believe whatever floats your boat. 

25% RNG is an enormous amount of inconsistency. So no, it hasn't been added. More accurately, it has always been there.



Flarvin #14 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 18:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 54836 battles
  • 17,053
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostTuwtles_50B_God, on Sep 06 2019 - 01:01, said:

25% RNG is an enormous amount of inconsistency. So no, it hasn't been added. More accurately, it has always been there.

 

I love when those ignorant of the subject, jump in a discussion making statements with terms they have not idea what they actually mean. lol 



BEASTY_BUCKEYE #15 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 01:24

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 37898 battles
  • 400
  • Member since:
    06-05-2014

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Sep 05 2019 - 21:36, said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The last change to shot dispersion (accuracy) actually improved shot grouping, making much fewer the shots landing in the outer rings.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one.  Sure seems the opposite to me. If they did improve it, it was on such a small scale that its not even noticeable. I know they were measuring on a volume of like 3000 shots fired or something like that.


Edited by BEASTY_BUCKEYE, Sep 07 2019 - 01:41.


Pipinghot #16 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 02:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 25960 battles
  • 10,557
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View PostBEASTY_BUCKEYE, on Sep 06 2019 - 19:24, said:

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Sep 05 2019 - 21:36, said:

The last change to shot dispersion (accuracy) actually improved shot grouping, making much fewer the shots landing in the outer rings.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one.  Sure seems the opposite to me. If they did improve it, it was on such a small scale that its not even noticeable. I know they were measuring on a volume of like 3000 shots fired or something like that.

"Seems" doesn't count, either you have data or you don't. It may feel the opposite to you, all that tells you is that your feelings are incorrect and you shouldn't be listening to them.



BEASTY_BUCKEYE #17 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 03:09

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 37898 battles
  • 400
  • Member since:
    06-05-2014

View PostPipinghot, on Sep 06 2019 - 19:38, said:

"Seems" doesn't count, either you have data or you don't. It may feel the opposite to you, all that tells you is that your feelings are incorrect and you shouldn't be listening to them.

 

All, so you have to have hard data now, when you post on the forums about your gaming experience. I see. Maybe you could show me some hard data where its better now, then it was before 8.6. Because i don't remember so many fully aimed dirt shots before. or is my memory flawed to?  And i should just stop thinking when i play. As most already have. 



Flarvin #18 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 03:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 54836 battles
  • 17,053
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostBEASTY_BUCKEYE, on Sep 06 2019 - 21:09, said:

 or is my memory flawed to?  

 

If you are human, then yes. 



3nr0n #19 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 05:42

    Captain

  • Players
  • 23253 battles
  • 1,338
  • [1VETS] 1VETS
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012
I have one on my Doom Turtle/Arty Magnet and it seems to help with a reduction in stun time. 

Zuikakoo #20 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 06:34

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 21919 battles
  • 679
  • Member since:
    02-11-2016

You can get into conspiracy theories if you want, but really if WG has eroded your trust that far I doubt you will ever be able to trust them again

.







Also tagged with mechanics, spall liner, accuracy, penetration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users