Too Much Cheating In This Game

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #101 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 17:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Methodology:  I read a post about an issue.  In these forums, that's not very nuanced. most of this stuff is VERY Black and White in terms of positions taken on subjects.

This sorts players into two categories on any subject:  Pro Subject Idea Matter or Anti-Subject Idea Matter.

I check a player's overall stats.  This helps me determine the overall potential "quality" to their stated positions, which I sort of pencil into categories like, Agree/Disagree  or Informed/Uninformed based upon either my own experiences in the subject (which includes actual game theory study, map design, military history, topology, geography, climate, geology, etc) such that I can make that determination or through a bit of subject matter study from subject matter experts when possible.

Foil Hat wearing is a thing.  I have noticed that some folks tend to wrap a bit more foil on than others and that anomalous correlation I noted was in inverse proportion, such that, in general, there was a noticeable difference in foil thickness that was in an inverse ratio, thus, the higher one's stats got, the less foil, if any, the hat would sport.  Of course, this also correlated with an increase in foil usage as the statistical effectiveness of the person(s) in question went down.

Just wanting to know if anyone can help independently confirm these observations?

OvO

Ironmike11B #102 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 17:16

Major

• Players
  • 31934 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Oct 10 2019 - 10:11, said:

Methodology:  I read a post about an issue.  In these forums, that's not very nuanced. most of this stuff is VERY Black and White in terms of positions taken on subjects.

This sorts players into two categories on any subject:  Pro Subject Idea Matter or Anti-Subject Idea Matter.

I check a player's overall stats.  This helps me determine the overall potential "quality" to their stated positions, which I sort of pencil into categories like, Agree/Disagree  or Informed/Uninformed based upon either my own experiences in the subject (which includes actual game theory study, map design, military history, topology, geography, climate, geology, etc) such that I can make that determination or through a bit of subject matter study from subject matter experts when possible.

Foil Hat wearing is a thing.  I have noticed that some folks tend to wrap a bit more foil on than others and that anomalous correlation I noted was in inverse proportion, such that, in general, there was a noticeable difference in foil thickness that was in an inverse ratio, thus, the higher one's stats got, the less foil, if any, the hat would sport.  Of course, this also correlated with an increase in foil usage as the statistical effectiveness of the person(s) in question went down.

Just wanting to know if anyone can help independently confirm these observations?

OvO

Research checks out. I too have noticed this correlation. It seems to be a very nasty version of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Copacetic #103 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 18:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 48852 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
I don't suck! You cheat!

SquishySupreme #104 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 23:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3766 battles

View Postdeter77, on Sep 29 2019 - 20:57, said:

In spite of the skepticism displayed by a number of people in this thread I must say I am puzzled by a few things I have seen in game recently, so any explanations welcome ... maybe I am not doing the right things or not aware of the capabilities of the current vehicles, for example.

Next topic of interest was being shot twice and destroyed when running an IS 1. Both shots were at close range and set the vehicle on fire. After my tank was destroyed, the enemy tank proceeded to set another heavy on fire and destroy it .... one shotted, lol. Now I appreciate that one might have the trick of aiming in the right spot down, but this seemed to be good fortune in the extreme. Perhaps some special ammo is being used, or some other explanation might apply.

There is a skin pack that you can load in that overlays the enemy tanks with their internal components and hitboxes.  Aim at the engine which is red - done.  No, WG has not banned it yet.

MudShark92553 #105 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 23:05

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10459 battles
I cheat you don't suck!. MUUAAAAHAHAHHAHA!:trollface:. Check my stats. LOL!

VooDooKobra #106 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 03:18

Major

• Players
  • 10087 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostSquishySupreme, on Oct 11 2019 - 15:03, said:

There is a skin pack that you can load in that overlays the enemy tanks with their internal components and hitboxes.  Aim at the engine which is red - done.  No, WG has not banned it yet.

as long as you only use the skin and not the 3d mod you are safe

SquishySupreme #107 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 08:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3766 battles
I know, but the videos are hilarious - it's like firing a gun with normal sights and a low powered scope or aimpoint.  Just having that crosshair or dot telling you where TO aim is a massive advantage in the time it takes to snap off a snot.

Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LCNZ1HPLQ

Bavor #108 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 08:46

Major

• Players
  • 34476 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostNeroGermanicus, on Sep 05 2019 - 23:09, said:

So I would be led to believe that the guy shooting me was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing?

No, that is their canned copy and paste response to everyone.

Bavor #109 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 08:56

Major

• Players
  • 34476 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostLucudus58, on Sep 05 2019 - 22:04, said:

There is so much cheating in this game and WOT knows this for a fact and yet they do nothing.Now watch all the Brain Dead people respond to this post and say WHERE IS YOUR PROVE lol.Give your heads a good share ok and tell me if you hear anygthing.

I've noticed that 99% of the players who insist that cheating is widespread in this game don't understand the basic game mechanics.  So they blame things they can't understand on cheating.

I have over 34,000 battles in this game and the number of times that I've encountered someone that was definitely cheating was less than ten.  Most of those were players using the mod that shows where your tank is when its outside of draw/render range. 

All the other time I thought someone might be cheating, I figured out that I was wrong after watching the replay.

Please provide replays where you are sure that other players are cheating.  You make the claim that "There is so much cheating in this game" and insist that everyone who says otherwise is wrong.  I'm sure if you provide replays where you were sure players were cheating, other players can look at it and tell you if you are correct.

SynfulSun #110 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 08:58

Major

• Players
  • 13987 battles
  • [CMPRE] CMPRE

View PostSquishySupreme, on Oct 12 2019 - 07:35, said:

I know, but the videos are hilarious - it's like firing a gun with normal sights and a low powered scope or aimpoint.  Just having that crosshair or dot telling you where TO aim is a massive advantage in the time it takes to snap off a snot.

Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LCNZ1HPLQ

I used them when I was new (and I mean REALLY new) to the game, they are ok for learning purposes, but after a while you sort of develop a natural feel on where everything is based on being exposed to those tanks and/or playing them yourself and noticing what crew/modules get damaged depending on where you got hit.

Clown cars aren't good for using them in your entire WoT career, their usefulness is particularly limited when bushing properly or doing long range engagements.

Zack_xD #111 Posted Oct 13 2019 - 21:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18862 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostSquishySupreme, on Oct 10 2019 - 03:36, said:

There are several that I see in use regularly:

1: Knowing all the positions of enemies on the map.  This is surprisingly common as it is 100% client side and virtually undetectable by Wargaming.  Some variants use the minimap, some use pillars or other ways to notify you, some use lasers or arrows to show were they are pointing(only recently banned for the last type, believe it or not).  It doesn't tell you exact positions but it's close enough to give a huge advantage.  This is how they guess what exact bush out of 15 you are behind - they triangulate your position and make a guess, and if there is a bush within 10-15 ft of that exact location, they have you.  Most players have wised up to play sneaky/avoid detection - it even SAYS as much on the sites that have the hacks available for download, so they will usually miss a shot or two afterwards or not do it all the time. In the end, this is not really a huge factor most of the time as they have other things to deal with in their face.  The instances of this mattering went down by a huge factor when wheeled vehicles came out as those are dangerous and are a giant priority to them.

2: Knowing which way/where the enemy is pointing.  Multiple examples and variants of this.  This is most notable when playing artillery.  They will sit in one spot for 30-45 seconds but the millisecond you aim over them, they roll back behind the rock - then 2-3 seconds after you focus on someone else, move back to their old position.  ESP, effectively.  Many players I have effectively trolled to put them in a bad position without actually firing at all, just by "lasing" them.  This is a kind of odd cat and mouse psychology game when it happens, and is kind of hilarious how I can use their own hack against them.   I don't mind, though, since I play U.K. arty and just go over the rock anyways...

3: Tracking alterations to the map.  This is easily defeatable, though, by simply moving so that you don't break or run over things when moving around.  Again, just a slight alteration of your play style fixes this.

4: Enemy information that they shouldn't know - this also takes many forms and while not explicitly mentioned as cheating, is effectively so.  ie - tank loadout, reload timers based on best guesstimates , and many many other things.  Again, not "hacking" in the sense of having it shoot or aim for you, but knowing information that they normally only should know about them can be powerful.  Nothing you can do, but this also isn't ESP as you could be running a directive or food or some skill that isn't normal as well.  

In the end, aimbots aside, these amount to not nearly as much of an impact as crew skill and modules and are largely ignorable.  It is odd how wheeled vehicles in their faces now makes it a lot less of a problem, since they usually get spotted or are dealing with other things besides going after your arty or TD.

And you realize that claim affect a small amount of players, just because your bad and can't get good, doesn't give you an excuse to call people who are better than you hackers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users