Sniping Question with the Stug III G.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Panzer_4Life #1 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 18:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4299 battles

Hello,

I have noticed the amazing accuracy of the Stug III Ausf. G Pak 42/L70. .  It seems you actually can aim for certain points on an enemy tank.  Having played a Derp wielding Hetz , this is a big change.  I am curious if there is a video or tutorial on areas of enemy tanks you can actually target. ..and strategies on what to aim for first.

I only have a 100% trained crew ..so I am not the most accurate yet for a sniper...but any suggestions would help.  

Thanks!

-B

Bad_Oedipus #2 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 18:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 46434 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

You can get a mod from official site that will put a skin on each tank, indicating weak points, modules and cre.

I'm using ASLAIN's mod pack, I'm sure other mod-packs have Hit Zone skins. 

Just be sure to use officially sanctioned mod from  https://wgmods.net/

AndrewSledge #3 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 18:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 36699 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

https://tanks.gg/ has the armor layouts of each tank in the game so you can see where you can penetrate the armor. There used to be guides on where critical modules are on tanks, but I can't find them now. Usually, engine and fuel tank are in the rear, and ammo rack is on the side of the hull or turret. 

If you find a tank out in the open, I'd recommend firing your first shot at the enemy tank's drive wheel to immobilize it. (We call it 'tracking' ) Once it's immobilized , fire at the weakpoints to kill it. Every few shots, you need to retrack it, so it can't repair and start moving. If you can track and do damage at the same time, just keep tracking it.

Common weakpoints on most tanks from the front are: lower hull ("lower glacis"   ]  , driver's hatch, commanders hatch.

Keep in mind spotting mechanics; when you are spotting for yourself behind a bush, pull back 15m from the bush once you spot something before your fire. If you fire 15m back from the bush, the bush will appear as solid to you instead of transparent, and you won't get spotted while firing.

Edited by AndrewSledge, Sep 06 2019 - 18:41.

Ikanator #4 Posted Sep 06 2019 - 22:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

View PostAndrewSledge, on Sep 06 2019 - 09:40, said:

https://tanks.gg/ has the armor layouts of each tank in the game so you can see where you can penetrate the armor. There used to be guides on where critical modules are on tanks, but I can't find them now. Usually, engine and fuel tank are in the rear, and ammo rack is on the side of the hull or turret. 

If you find a tank out in the open, I'd recommend firing your first shot at the enemy tank's drive wheel to immobilize it. (We call it 'tracking' ) Once it's immobilized , fire at the weakpoints to kill it. Every few shots, you need to retrack it, so it can't repair and start moving. If you can track and do damage at the same time, just keep tracking it.

Common weakpoints on most tanks from the front are: lower hull ("lower glacis"   ]  , driver's hatch, commanders hatch.

Keep in mind spotting mechanics; when you are spotting for yourself behind a bush, pull back 15m from the bush once you spot something before your fire. If you fire 15m back from the bush, the bush will appear as solid to you instead of transparent, and you won't get spotted while firing.

What he said. It is especially important to remember that the Stug III G is relatively blind compared to other TDs out there, so maintaining your camo is a priority. Also pay attention to the penetration marking in the center of your reticle when you go to fire. It is far from fool proof, but it can be a good quick and dirty indicator about whether or not you're likely to pen or probably wasting your shot.

Edited by Ikanator, Sep 06 2019 - 22:27.

el_01 #5 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 04:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3771 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Usually, aim for these:

• Cupolas (on top of tank)
  • Hatches (on tank)
  • Sides of turrets and hulls (NOT AT TRACKS!)

If you have time, just mouse over the side of a tank and see what areas are green. Boom.

ChaseR392 #6 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 08:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9122 battles

Places to aim:

The lower glacis plate... this is a vulnerable spot on nearly every tank in the game (some more so than others). Depending on the nation of tank there is usually something vulnerable right behind it as well.... transmission (engine damage), fuel tanks or ammo racks.

Cupolas.... also vulnerable on most tanks in the game (some are easier to hit than others). If you have an accurate gun... this can help dig somebody out of hull down position.

Drive sprockets... nearly every tank in the game can be penetrated (and usually tracked) by a well-placed side shot into the drive sprocket. A hit from the front or rear will usually only blow off the track. Works best when brawling as it is a tougher shot on moving target at range.

Those are the top 3 that I personally aim for first.

But as others have said turret cheeks and sides, hull sides above tracks, hatches, and of course the rear of the tank are all good too. Also watch for areas of flat armor... an example being the upper hull on KV-1 right above the sloped upper glacis. 

Multiple shots into the engine compartment is also a good way to set a tank on fire. Your Stug fires quickly and most players at Tier 5 don't spend the money on auto-extinguishers.

dunniteowl #7 Posted Sep 07 2019 - 17:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Things YOU can do:

One of the things I note (I have my reticle set with Pen Indicator as a dot) is that when I have a very tight area for a pennable shot, I do my best to take into account that the shot is going to be IN that circle somewhere and MOST of the time it will be in the area of about 50% of center of that circle.  So I have a 50/50 shot, essentially, of hitting within the 6 to 10 ring were I shooting at a standard 100 yard silhouette.

Knowing this, I aim my center point so that I get the maximum opportunity to hit that pennable surface area.  Sometimes, this means aiming at a spot you cannot really expect to hit exactly just so you have a good chance to hit at all.  If the Pen Indicator shows green over most of that area, aim for the center of where you saw only a green indicator.  This allows you a better chance at hitting some part of that area.

The Pen Indicator is NOT a guaranty of Penning.  It is a Good Guide and Better than just praying to RNGesus for a hit.  The Pen Indicator is sort of like 6th Sense.  If you use it like you think you should, you'll be disappointed.  If you learn to leverage that information stream a bit differently, though, you can find ways to maximize your damage potential -- or at least know if you should even keep popping your boomstick at that impenetrable steel wall.  If the Pen Indicator shows Red, you can pretty much forget a damage causing strike.

Lastly, if you're going to be a sniper, you have to get good at leading moving targets.  If you are well positioned, almost all your targets will have to be either advancing or retreating in your Line of Fire (LoF).  This makes the next shot more an issue of timing and elevation, which is much easier than leading a target moving across your LoF.  When going across your LoF, however, you have to have a pretty good idea of how fast your shot arrives at distance to target.  Sometimes this is worth a 'test' shot when not in contact at something like a house or car so you can 'time' your shot distance.  This allows you a better idea of how far to lead a target depending on how far away it is as well as how fast it is going.

Things YOU Should Do:

Your Crew:

A Sniper type TD Crew should start right away with things that help it be a sniper.  As I tend to get 75% Crews when I start a unit (if I don't have a 100% crew already trained for that tank) I have to get them up to 100%.  I do this all with Credits, because I am a FTPP and, as such, Gold is precious to me.  So let's say I do have that crew at 100% Qualification and that I intend to Keep that Crew for Some Time.  If that were the case, here's how I'd go about starting my initial Skills and Perks for my Crew:

Crew Member:               1st Skill                   2nd Skill                   3rd Skill                      4th Skill

100%                             100%                       100%                         100%                           60%

Commander                  6th Sense                     Recon                  Concealment               Repairs/Firefighting

Driver                        Off Road Driving          Concealment           Clutch Braking              Repairs/Firefighting

Gunner                       Concealment                  Repairs                   Snap Shot                Firefighting/Deadeye

Loader                        Concealment                  Repairs                  Firefighting                    Safe Stowage

Radio Op.             Situational Awareness     Concealment         Repairs/Signal Boost    Signal Boost/Repairs

Once I got those and started on the 4th, I would just grind until the 4th hits 50% to 60% and then I'd reset the entire Crew Skills to this:

Crew Member:               1st Skill                   2nd Skill                   3rd Skill                      4th Skill

100%                             100%                       100%                         100%                           10%

Commander                       BIA                       6th Sense                     Recon                  Concealment              

Driver                                 BIA                    Off Road Driving          Concealment           Clutch Braking              

Gunner                               BIA                     Concealment                  Repairs                   Snap Shot                

Loader                                BIA                     Concealment                  Repairs                  Firefighting                    

Radio Op.                           BIA                   Situational Awareness     Concealment     Repairs/Signal Boost    

Note the difference in the percentages.  If you Retrain your Crew for 20K Credits per Crewmember (the Reginmental Level of training), when resetting Crew Skills/Perks, you lose 10% of your 100% levels and an additional 10% on the last skill.  (This is based on the Regimental Restriction on training, such that, when retraining to a new tank of the Same Class or Resetting Crew Skills on that Crew in that Tank, Regimental Training provides a 75% New Crew or a 90% of original value if higher than 75%).

In this manner, the 60% Skill at the end gets 'skimmed' for 10% as do each other Skill and the Primary Crew Qualification, (CQ= 100% - 10 = 90%; S1= 100% - 10 = 90%, S2 = 100% -10 = 90%; S3 = 100% - 10 = 90%; S4 = 60% -10 = 50%) and then, to make up the difference between 90% on the CQ, S1, S2 & S3 percentages, the Final Skill (S4) gets those 10% bits taken from it to ensure they are all at 100% (Now, CQ = 90 + 10 = 100%; S1 = 90 +10 = 100%; S2 = 90 =10 = 100%; S3 = 90 + 10 = 90%; S4 = 50 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 = 10% ).  This is the "complex" and complete explanation, just rest assured that if you retrain with silver this is how it works. 

If you use Gold, then 200 Gold per Crew Member for a penalty free Skill/Reset. 

Your Tank:

When it comes to equipping your tank for a sniper role, you have to consider two things first: How far can you see and how hard are you to spot?  For this reason, you most probably should consider these things as Modules (Complex Equipment) for your tank:

Binoculars/Coated Optics:

Depending on your playing style, you'll either want Binoculars (adds 25% to VR when stationary for more than 3s to a max of 445m) or Coated Optics (adds 10% ALL THE TIME to VR up to 445m).  In this game, if you want to snipe, you gotta see.  View Range is your most critical tool for success.  Some folks swear by using both Binocs and Coated Optics so that they have advanced vision all the time of at least 10%.  I'm not sure I want to sacrifice DPM for VR, but the guys that swear by this method are all Very Good LT players, so you should consider that as a potential Thing.

Gun Rammer/Gun Laying Drive: 

(depending on your reload to aim times)  If you have a fast load time, then you might not require a Gun Rammer, which improves your load time.  As an example, if your tank's gun has a 10s reload and a 6.5s aim time, a Rammer will boost your DPM by reducing that 10s to 9s.  At that point, you don't really need a Gun Laying Drive to improve DPM and so you might consider NOT using a GLD and place another piece of equipment on your tank instead.  A Gun Laying Drive improves aim time and reduces the bloom (dispersion ring) while on the move (chassis movement only, turret and gun aim movement still increase bloom as normal) so, if you plan on shooting, moving, relocating, shooting, moving, relocating, a GLD might make more sense depending on your concealment factor and view range.

Camo Net:

Most TDs have good concealment value relative to all other units of other classes.  This does not mean they are invisible, just, all other things being equal, they are harder to spot.  The harder you are to spot while sniping the better.  A camouflage net is cheap, removable and, like the Binocs, activate 3s after going stationary.  The addition of a camo net to your base concealment for a TD is enough of an overall improvement that it's usually worth it.  If you have room for a Camo Net, get one and place it.

Camo-Skins:

You can 'rent' camouflage skins for 75K credits for 100 battles.  This is 750 Credits a battle.  It increases your concealment factor and stacks with your base concealment, the crew Skill level of Concealment you have and your Camo Net when active.  In the right spot and angle, you can be very, VERY hard to spot even after firing.

You have gotten some great advice already and I hope that anything I provide here is remotely helpful to you or anyone else.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Sep 07 2019 - 17:17.

da_Rock002 #8 Posted Sep 08 2019 - 13:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 9819 battles

View PostPanzer_4Life, on Sep 06 2019 - 12:18, said:

Hello,

I have noticed the amazing accuracy of the Stug III Ausf. G Pak 42/L70. .  It seems you actually can aim for certain points on an enemy tank.  Having played a Derp wielding Hetz , this is a big change.  I am curious if there is a video or tutorial on areas of enemy tanks you can actually target. ..and strategies on what to aim for first.

I only have a 100% trained crew ..so I am not the most accurate yet for a sniper...but any suggestions would help.  

Thanks!

-B

The game has a setting for your aiming reticle that causes it to change color from red to green when it's aiming at a part of your target the round can penetrate. 

It tells you whether or not the shot should penetrate.   It's really worth turning that option on.   The settings actually have to be switched on for both Arcade and Sniper modes.   They are found in the Settings menu under the Reticle tab.      Settings-Reticle-(Arcade/Sniper)   Look for the Gun Marker  and choose one (with armor penetration indicator)  

Those settings are very worthwhile.   It's realtime information and saves you having to learn weak points on hundreds of tanks.   In fact, learning weaks points won't do you much good if your target is a couple of tiers higher and your gun doesn't have enough penetration even if aimed at a weak point.    The pen-indicator-reticle is worth turning on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users