Tank movement

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Billtheterrible #1 Posted Sep 09 2019 - 17:17

Private

• -Players-
  • 217 battles
I have a real problem using wasd on keyboard . I can see others moving smoothly , not me . Are they using X box controllers ? I don't have one . Would a joystick help ? Any suggestions would be helpful .

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Sep 09 2019 - 17:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5052 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

Most players on PC use wasd, if your having trouble with it my only suggestion is to practice

MagillaGuerilla #3 Posted Sep 09 2019 - 17:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 25893 battles
Sounds like you have lag/packet loss if your tank stops but everyone else is fine. That would be your modem/ISP connection or computer problems.

MiddleAgedNoob #4 Posted Sep 09 2019 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18163 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostBilltheterrible, on Sep 09 2019 - 11:17, said:

I have a real problem using wasd on keyboard . I can see others moving smoothly , not me . Are they using X box controllers ? I don't have one . Would a joystick help ? Any suggestions would be helpful .

Hey OP, I feel your pain.  WoT was (and is) the only PC video game I've ever played and wasd gave me a lot of trouble to begin with.  You do get used to it, eventually.  I wonder about your finger placement.  I keep my the middle finger of my left hand resting on the 'w', my ring finger on the 'a' and my index finger on the 'd'.  I keep 'w' constantly pressed to move forward at top speed, pressing 'a' or 'd' to steer.  My middle finger only comes off the 'w' key to stop, or to press 's' to reverse.  I've also chosen to set the 'reverse inversion' setting in the client, so I don't have to switch between 'a' and 'd' when switching to reverse from forward, and vice versa.

Pinky on the shift key for sniper mode toggling and thumb on the space bar for the hand brake.

Sorry if this is basic info you already know, but you never know.

GLHF

sparky_49 #5 Posted Sep 10 2019 - 08:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8620 battles

Wargaming just followed convention, as most PC games use wasd, so that's what players are accustomed to.

Personally I remap the keys in all PC games so it's more comfortable and intuitive for me.  Since I move forward a lot more than back I use "s" for forward. That puts all three fingers on the same row most of the time rather than reaching up for forward.  Reverse is "z" so I move my finger back to reverse, that works better for me and I've been doing it like that for years so it's a habit now.

TankFullOfBourbon #6 Posted Sep 10 2019 - 12:01

Major

• Players
  • 30577 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
I thought WASD was pretty much used in every PC game? Is this a transfer from console/PS problem?

Roggg2 #7 Posted Sep 10 2019 - 15:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 21971 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

WASD is the standard for all kinds of PC games.  I wasn't much of a PC gamer before Wot, so even though I had some (very little) FPS and Minecraft experience, it took me some time to get used to it.  Unless you have some kind of disability in the hand, it will feel natural after a while, and is worth sticking to it.  Most important thing is to make sure you are using the middle finger on "w" and the ring/index on a/d.  

It gets easy with practice.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Sep 10 2019 - 16:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 31436 battles

I know I've been around computers for a while now, so when I tell you that my SSI Gold Box 5.25" version of Pool of Radiance, that came out in 1987 used WASD and/or the number keypad for movement.  So it's been like this for a while.

That said, computer gaming is still relatively NEW to a LOT of people out there who are used to mouse clicking their way through pretty much everything, so the whole WASD thing is new to them.  After all these years using them, I still manage to remember that bit of truth: A lot of people still have no experience with actual computer PC games that require more than a mouse to operate if it isn't a joystick or hand held controller (a la console) instead.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Ikanator #9 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 06:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

One of the problems I had with WoT initially was that I had played a lot of WoW previously. In WoW you depress both mouse buttons in order to move forward, and then control your direction of movement by using the mouse.

Obviously in WoT pressing your left mouse button as a matter of course when you try to move is a no no. Leads to wasted ammunition and, before the latest patch, torqued off team mates you just put a round into. Also, after using the mouse to control direction of movement switching to the WASD keys just felt clunky.

Edited by Ikanator, Sep 15 2019 - 00:17.

Boghie #10 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 17:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8501 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

You are probably setting your left hand fingers in the normal typing positions.

Instead, shift your hand one key to the left - that is, your index finger on the 'D' key.  Your 'pinky' finger will not be on a key.  It is far more comfortable like that.  

Another option I looked at is the key layout 4Tankers uses.  I do think I remapped the space bar as he describes.

Happy hunting.

3nr0n #11 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 18:21

Captain

• Players
  • 23015 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS
Have you tried remapping the keyboard?  You ca reassign the control keys to what ever you want.  I use the "home" keys for the left hand for my tank movement A S D F and the W key is for cruise control.

4TankersAndDog #12 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 06:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 27121 battles
  • [122MM] 122MM

View PostBoghie, on Sep 14 2019 - 08:58, said:

You are probably setting your left hand fingers in the normal typing positions.

Instead, shift your hand one key to the left - that is, your index finger on the 'D' key.  Your 'pinky' finger will not be on a key.  It is far more comfortable like that.  

Another option I looked at is the key layout 4Tankers uses.  I do think I remapped the space bar as he describes.

Happy hunting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users