Klaatu_Nicto #22 Posted Sep 11 2019 - 17:20

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

StoveBolt54 #23 Posted Sep 11 2019 - 22:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30167 battles

Woke up that morning 18 years ago at a truck stop in Tallulah, LA. Went inside to do my business. A crowd of drivers standing around looking at the TV's behind the fuel desk. They quickly caught me up on what was happening. 

Grabbed me some coffee an a sandwich. Went out to my truck. Fire up the radio. Damn, 2nd had plane hit. Head out going east on I-20. Don't remember where I was going or what I was hauling. Coming up on a overpass east of Jackson, MS. Two young dudes were standing there waving our flag. Their bicycles leaned up on the railing. I laid in on the air horn. I pulled so hard on that braided leather cord, I thought I was gonna break it. 

Man, today was rough. 

RIP Pat Tillman.

Klaatu_Nicto #24 Posted Sep 11 2019 - 23:49

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

For the first time, North American airspace had been closed, and the small town of Gander, Newfoundland, a town of 10,000 people and 500 hotel rooms, was tasked with landing, housing, and providing for 6,600 stranded passengers and 473 crew members.

Ikanator #25 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 01:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10976 battles

I was going to work that day to perform the usually thankless job of parking lot security. The site I was working was an office building next door to the county courthouse, and part of the job entailed trying to make sure that people weren't parking in our lot and going next door to the courthouse. Needless to say this did not endear me to a lot of the people trying to use the parking lot.

I heard about the attack over my car radio as I was stopped at a McDonald's getting an Egg McMuffin before my shift started. When on shift I was of course paying more attention than usual to who was entering the parking lot and what they were doing. The parking lot had 3 entrances, none of them were set up with any sort of "gate" or control, and they could not all be seen easily from any one point in the lot. So this meant I had to be on the move, on foot, more often than not.

But surprise, surprise. There were several people who woke up to the fact that me doing my job in the parking lot could potentially be more than just an annoyance, and they went out of their way to thank me for the job I was doing. Never happened before, and after a few days didn't happen again. One instance involved a van that I hadn't seen before entering the parking lot. As I went to check it out and keep an eye on it I noticed that it had U.S. government plates. I overheard the driver make a brief radio transmission that my building had good security and then the van left. Never saw them again.

However, our country changed, and not for the better in many respects. Some of the laws that were passed afterwards were in my opinion a step in the wrong direction. As I look at what's happening now, and some of the stuff being talked about openly by candidates for the Presidency in the upcoming election I wonder if I have somehow been transported to another, darker world.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users