Question about WG GameCenter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

NiteDog #1 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 14:42

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
After 8 years I have never had to DL the WG GameCenter. This morning WG forced me to install the GameCenter in order to open the client and play. Why is this required now when it never was necessary before? 

usercar001 #2 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 14:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24406 battles
  • [-_W_-] -_W_-

View PostNiteDog, on Sep 12 2019 - 14:42, said:

After 8 years I have never had to DL the WG GameCenter. This morning WG forced me to install the GameCenter in order to open the client and play. Why is this required now when it never was necessary before? 

Nope, I'm still using the old client as of today no forcing to download game center for me. Even downloaded and installed the latest micro patch. 

Edited by usercar001, Sep 12 2019 - 14:55.

NiteDog #3 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:08

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Postusercar001, on Sep 12 2019 - 05:51, said:

Nope, I'm still using the old client as of today no forcing to download game center for me. Even downloaded and installed the latest micro patch. 

It's weird. It tried to DL the client again, yet, I already have it installed. Thanks.

the_dude_76 #4 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:22

Major

• Players
  • 34016 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM
If the Game Center turns you off you can go to the WoT folder on your hard drive and pin the WorldOfTanks.exe to your taskbar or Start menu and launch it directly from there.

CanadianPuppy #5 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 414 battles
Why don't people like the Game Centre? It clears up some clutter. You can run Sandbox, Common Test, and the Regular Client from one icon on the desktop.

NiteDog #6 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:33

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Postthe_dude_76, on Sep 12 2019 - 06:22, said:

If the Game Center turns you off you can go to the WoT folder on your hard drive and pin the WorldOfTanks.exe to your taskbar or Start menu and launch it directly from there.

Thanks.

NiteDog #7 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:33

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostCanadianPuppy, on Sep 12 2019 - 06:29, said:

Why don't people like the Game Centre? It clears up some clutter. You can run Sandbox, Common Test, and the Regular Client from one icon on the desktop.

Personal preference.

ThePigSheFlies #8 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 74371 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostCanadianPuppy, on Sep 12 2019 - 09:29, said:

I don't get why people have a problem with having 3 different icons...

here's what I don't like about it.  I don't care to keep common test, and warplanes up to date with each and every micropatch.  In the past I tended to just update them as needed, if I ever played them.  Now, when I want to log into tanks like this morning, it goes out and updates everything all at once.

and I despise background processes running that might have updated them overnight, so I kill the task every single time it launches.  (I've also only had it recently because I wanted to try out the manticore on common test)

The_Illusive_Man #9 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 16:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

View PostNiteDog, on Sep 12 2019 - 10:42, said:

The legacy one is being retired for all WG games. Its to reduce the workload of WG.

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Sep 12 2019 - 11:42, said:

here's what I don't like about it.  I don't care to keep common test, and warplanes up to date with each and every micropatch.  In the past I tended to just update them as needed, if I ever played them.  Now, when I want to log into tanks like this morning, it goes out and updates everything all at once.

and I despise background processes running that might have updated them overnight, so I kill the task every single time it launches.  (I've also only had it recently because I wanted to try out the manticore on common test)

You can disable this.

Settings
Launch When PC Starts
Disable Auto Updates
Exit everything when you hit "X" (Yes, this includes the background processor's)

omi5cron #10 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 23487 battles

i have WoWP WoWS, 3 regular clients (including EU),and Common Test  on WGC. however i have set WGC to NOT start on bootup,and if i use it to update/download,i have it set to close OUT afterwards. for me,its ONLY running when i choose, and only then.

i launch he game from a taskbar shortcut that is linked to the in-client exe.this works best for me.others dont like WGC and back in the original WGC i did hate it. now the present version works great. i love the check-and-repair function, and the pre-download function.

everyone has different tastes and PC setups. you can still launch from the ingame exe,no WGC required.

edit: ninja'd by Illusive....bastidge!!!

Edited by omi5cron, Sep 12 2019 - 17:01.

The_Illusive_Man #11 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 17:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

View Postomi5cron, on Sep 12 2019 - 13:00, said:

i have WoWP WoWS, 3 regular clients (including EU),and Common Test  on WGC. however i have set WGC to NOT start on bootup,and if i use it to update/download,i have it set to close OUT afterwards. for me,its ONLY running when i choose, and only then.

i launch he game from a taskbar shortcut that is linked to the in-client exe.this works best for me.others dont like WGC and back in the original WGC i did hate it. now the present version works great. i love the check-and-repair function, and the pre-download function.

everyone has different tastes and PC setups. you can still launch from the ingame exe,no WGC required.

edit: ninja'd by Illusive....bastidge!!!

Image Ninja'ed at that :)

tod914 #12 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 64377 battles

View PostNiteDog, on Sep 12 2019 - 08:42, said:

Spoiler

NiteDog #13 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Sep 12 2019 - 07:58, said:

The legacy one is being retired for all WG games. Its to reduce the workload of WG.

You can disable this.

Settings
Launch When PC Starts
Disable Auto Updates
Exit everything when you hit "X" (Yes, this includes the background processor's)

Thanks Illusive

NiteDog #14 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 18:56

Major

• Players
  • 29493 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Posttod914, on Sep 12 2019 - 08:36, said:

Spoiler

LOL!

ThePigSheFlies #15 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 74371 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Sep 12 2019 - 10:58, said:

You can disable this.

Settings
Launch When PC Starts
Disable Auto Updates

I'm aware, and did so.  I was explaining why I don't think it's a good thing to have.  not to mention yet another app designer that thinks their code should have priority, defaulting to opt-in for such behavior.

I work in software development industry and see this behavior all the time.  it's revolting.

CanadianPuppy #16 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 19:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 414 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Sep 12 2019 - 15:42, said:

I keep lots of work files/report folders on my desktop for easy access in case I can't get to work and I can review them from home. My desktop has very little room for more icons, the Game Centre really helped with clearing off those 3 different icons. I like staying up to date (slight side effect of my occupation) and it's much easier to let it run updates when I'm asleep or at work instead of having to go download it each time. Players with slower internet connections can let the game run vast majority of large updates while they're not home, awake,or available. 

Is it easier to let a 2 hour update go on while you're not there, or while you stare at your monitor cheering the download bar on.

ThePigSheFlies #17 Posted Sep 12 2019 - 22:53

Major

• Players
  • 74371 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostCanadianPuppy, on Sep 12 2019 - 13:49, said:

I keep lots of work files/report folders on my desktop for easy access in case I can't get to work and I can review them from home. My desktop has very little room for more icons, the Game Centre really helped with clearing off those 3 different icons. I like staying up to date (slight side effect of my occupation) and it's much easier to let it run updates when I'm asleep or at work instead of having to go download it each time. Players with slower internet connections can let the game run vast majority of large updates while they're not home, awake,or available. 

Is it easier to let a 2 hour update go on while you're not there, or while you stare at your monitor cheering the download bar on.

You do you.  As for me, I also find keeping "files" on the desktop a reprehensible organizational structure for work or class files.  

But then the vast majority of my work files are stored in onedrive, or sharepoint, with local copies only landing on my encrypted work laptop for working offline such as on an airplane.

Anyway, just because it's "easier" for some folks doesn't mean it should be forced for all folks...  (and while it's true those of us that didn't turn to the WGC could still get the main client to update, that went away a patch or two ago for those that want to play common test)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users