Advice for new players - especially casual players.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Halfneck #1 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 21:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13908 battles
  • [MASH] MASH

Patience & thick skin.

This game can be the most annoying, frustrating game I have ever played. Even if you are playing well, a bad team can screw it all up for you. If you are not having a good game it is even worse. Add in off balanced teams where you get steam-rolled & some toxic players and you will be ready to quit and uninstall.

If you are a casual gamer just looking to install & play - this game is not for you. You will need to devote some time to learning how to play the tank you choose & it's role in a match. You will also need to learn the maps & where your chosen tank needs to position & move.

While you can play for Free, I recommend at least paying for some premium time & gold. The premium time will help level your crew skills up faster & earn more credits. The gold will also help in training your crew and equipping your tank.

Toxic players just mute & blacklist them. Report if they are bad enough, but I don't know if it does anything besides a placebo effect.

Know when to back away. Sometimes the WoT gods are just not smiling on you - stop playing. The game is just not worth that aggravation, go do something else. I've actually decided I'd rather go finish up some yard work in 90 something degree heat rather than play another lop-sided loss where the light tanks don't spot & the heavy tanks snipe in back.

RHeadshot #2 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 21:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6206 battles
Better advice:  don't give your hard earned money to this company, play for free.

Halfneck #3 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 22:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13908 battles
  • [MASH] MASH

View PostRHeadshot, on Sep 14 2019 - 21:42, said:

Better advice:  don't give your hard earned money to this company, play for free.

Once I have my tank crews trained up to about 4 skills I *might* stop paying.

Dishonest_John #4 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 22:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7529 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE
If you are a casual gamer just looking to install & play, have fun and do the best you can. Thanks for joining us!

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #5 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 23:44

Captain

• Players
  • 29605 battles
I hate it when you do well but we get crap xp because of loss

jst2gr8 #6 Posted Sep 14 2019 - 23:59

Captain

• Players
  • 66405 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT rush up the lines to get that tier 10 tank without understanding and knowing how your tank is used and the mechanics of the tank. Too many people rush up the lines and do not know how to use their tank in a way to help them stay alive or help their team.

Ikanator #7 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 00:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

View PostUvBeenTrumped, on Sep 14 2019 - 14:59, said:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT rush up the lines to get that tier 10 tank without understanding and knowing how your tank is used and the mechanics of the tank. Too many people rush up the lines and do not know how to use their tank in a way to help them stay alive or help their team.

What he said. It's going to take thousands of battles to really figure out what's going on and apply that knowledge well. You also have to develop your crew skills. There are tanks out there that won't really come into their own unless they have a three or four skill crew in them. It takes time to develop those crews.

My advice would be to stay in tiers V and VI until you have a really good handle on the game. Also be aware that the capabilities of the various different tanks change somewhat as you go up in tier. In general view ranges increase, armor usually gets thicker, guns do a lot more damage but reload slower. You have to learn the difference between cover and concealment and how to use them both to best advantage. Especially when running a high tier tank with a reload time that lets your crew send out for pizza between shots. Some tanks have auto loaders which change the dynamics somewhat, but there will still be times when they have excruciatingly long reloads. Simply figuring out when, where and how to move can be a problem.

Slatherer #8 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 00:54

Major

• Players
  • 37067 battles
My advice, don't play for free. It's too hard.  Get a good crew (6TH Sense, repairs, BIA)  as soon as possible. Play Russian.  Get a Rudy for the crew. Use gold to get to tier 5.

Stay there and THEN learn the game.  

If you aren't willing to do that, the game will be A LOT HARDER!

ChaseR392 #9 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 05:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9224 battles

My advice to new players....

Spend the whopping 10 dollars (which is nothing nowadays) and get the newcomer's package sold in the premium shop.... which is a T-127, a 100% crew, gold, credits and some premium time.

This gives you a solid Tier 3 tank that can easily stand against pretty much anything it will face, a fully trained crew that you can immediately begin training skills for, and credits to get at least some equipment to upgrade the tank.

Spend a couple hundred battles learning the low-tier map rotation, angling your armor, sparing but intelligent use of premium ammo, and finish adding equipment to the tank and you will be ahead of 99% of the new players in this game.

For 10 measly bucks.... you can find out pretty quick whether or not this is the game for you. 

Edited by ChaseR392, Sep 15 2019 - 05:33.

3bagsfull #10 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 06:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostSlatherer, on Sep 14 2019 - 23:54, said:

My advice, don't play for free. It's too hard. Get a good crew (6TH Sense, repairs, BIA) as soon as possible. Play Russian. Get a Rudy for the crew. Use gold to get to tier 5.

Stay there and THEN learn the game.

If you aren't willing to do that, the game will be A LOT HARDER!

That is pretty bad advice for a new player.    Spend money on a game they haven't even played enough to realize whether it is worth it to keep playing.

Best advice to give a new player IMO is this:

1)   Do NOT buy consumables early on, hoard your Credits - they are a new players lifeline.

2)   Any time you get a credit booster activate it, Credits are a new players lifeline.

3)   Make the best use of the free Premium Time you get - play as often as you can until that dries up.

4)   If you have Amazon Prime, get the free 3 skill Commanders - free is free afterall.

5)   Do not spend real money on this game until you've decided it's a game you intend to play for the long haul - because that is the whole point of FTP games (try it before you buy it - and with the prices WoT charges you will be buying it trust me).  

Shouldn't take a new player more than a month or two to figure out if this game is really for them or not.

Slatherer #11 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 07:57

Major

• Players
  • 37067 battles
A casual player will need a good foundation to play casually.  The grind and frustration of lower tiers is not what a casual player wants.  They'll have to pay for convenience.

A gamer will grind.  A casual gamer will leave for something easier, unless they pay for that foundation.

What's wrong with throwing the game some bucks for that experience?  Are you assuming a casual player actually wants to work hard and grind out lines in this current wot environment we are in?

We are taking about CASUAL players here.

3bagsfull #12 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 16:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

So am I.    Lets be honest here, there really isn't much of a grind until you start getting into the higher tiers, and to be honest the higher tiers is probably a place the casual player doesn't belong - because money can't buy what you need to play well there anyway.   At those tiers, you are expected to have "gamer" skills and knowledge - and that usually only comes with a playing regimen that is anything but casual.  

It's the very reason I stopped playing, there was no point to the grind because there was no distinction in Randoms, they throw the top players in the game with every conceivable advantage and then some - with the absolute worst players in the game with their MM - it's pretty pointless.    You either make the decision real quick to either spend the time to be a "gamer" (if you even have that kind of time to begin with) or you leave - there really isn't much of a middle ground except to stay at tiers (I-VI) where you don't need to grind anyway - and in that case there really isn't any need to spend money is there?

jst2gr8 #13 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 19:42

Captain

• Players
  • 66405 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

View Post3bagsfull, on Sep 15 2019 - 08:50, said:

So am I.    Lets be honest here, there really isn't much of a grind until you start getting into the higher tiers, and to be honest the higher tiers is probably a place the casual player doesn't belong - because money can't buy what you need to play well there anyway.   At those tiers, you are expected to have "gamer" skills and knowledge - and that usually only comes with a playing regimen that is anything but casual.  

It's the very reason I stopped playing, there was no point to the grind because there was no distinction in Randoms, they throw the top players in the game with every conceivable advantage and then some - with the absolute worst players in the game with their MM - it's pretty pointless.    You either make the decision real quick to either spend the time to be a "gamer" (if you even have that kind of time to begin with) or you leave - there really isn't much of a middle ground except to stay at tiers (I-VI) where you don't need to grind anyway - and in that case there really isn't any need to spend money is there?

You have under 5k battles under your belt. You've barely got your feet wet with the game. It isn't that hard of a game to understand and learn the mechanics of the tanks if you actually take the time to study them. Blaming MM is just another excuse for not stepping up to the plate and admitting failure. 

Slatherer #14 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 37067 battles

View Post3bagsfull, on Sep 15 2019 - 07:50, said:

In an honest free to play account, you have to grind out credits for new tanks and equipment. You also have to grind out a good crew and retrain that crew for credits in every new tank.

That's a grind!!!

You are competing against seasoned players with fully equipped tanks with enough credits to dab the 2 key often, and afford bia zero-skill crews.  

I really don't see a casual player staying too long as a true free to play player.  I really don't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users