Need some unicumish help.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

MissCreant #1 Posted Sep 15 2019 - 23:53

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2186 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

I think I have turned the corner on tier 5 and am doing normal for me.  Tier 1-4 I was 'trained' and so I did 'normal'.  Now I need to get tier 6 going.  Tier 5 was a harder to get used to and so struggled at first mainly, I think, to the tanks being slower.  Lack of 6th sense hurts I am sure as well.

But that is not the question.

Tier 5-6 is pretty different from tiers 1-4.  Even though I am doing better tier 5 and somewhat tier 6 I have noticed something.  Even when I do fine I find that someone does much better.  Let's say I get 1500 damage and I see another gets 3000.  This happens on many wins.  This means I am learning but I am somehow 'out of position' to have the heaviest influence.  I think this is happening in the last 25% of the game.

I know this is general but anything obvious I am missing?  I tend to push hard toward the end in a large sweeping motion up one end and sweep to the middle of their red line.  Should I try going into the middle more?

How do you unicums 'finish hard'?

Edited by MissCreant, Sep 15 2019 - 23:54.

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 01:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5066 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
1500 dmg in a tier 6 is decently good

ChaseR392 #3 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 03:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8364 battles

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Sep 16 2019 - 01:19, said:

1500 dmg in a tier 6 is decently good

LOL....

Averaging 1500 dmg at Tier 6 means you are Super Unicum according to Wotlabs….. I think that's a bit better than decently good.

el_01 #4 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 03:35

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostMissCreant, on Sep 15 2019 - 15:53, said:

I think I have turned the corner on tier 5 and am doing normal for me.  Tier 1-4 I was 'trained' and so I did 'normal'.  Now I need to get tier 6 going.  Tier 5 was a harder to get used to and so struggled at first mainly, I think, to the tanks being slower.  Lack of 6th sense hurts I am sure as well.

Tier 5-6 is pretty different from tiers 1-4.  Even though I am doing better tier 5 and somewhat tier 6 I have noticed something.  Even when I do fine I find that someone does much better.  Let's say I get 1500 damage and I see another gets 3000.  This happens on many wins.  This means I am learning but I am somehow 'out of position' to have the heaviest influence.  I think this is happening in the last 25% of the game.

I know this is general but anything obvious I am missing?  I tend to push hard toward the end in a large sweeping motion up one end and sweep to the middle of their red line.  Should I try going into the middle more?

Damn, you're better than I am, and have half of my battles.

Don't worry right now, it will come with time. FWIW if the other flank is still being contested you should go there.

death_stryker #5 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 05:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Disclaimer: Not a unicum although I do try :)

You are right on the ball about what's missing from your play. In order to consistently get that kind of damage, you have to constantly reposition yourself as the situation calls for it. It's hard to describe how to do this in words, but what I can say is that you will notice very distinct patterns in the way unicums react to certain situations, and I think once you start emulating what they do you will start seeing the reasoning behind it. At that point, you will then be able to correctly react to the situation yourself.

On the other hand, the first and often hardest step is to realize that you are out of position in the first place. This ability tends to manifest as a gut feeling after a while, but to develop it you can try to find a break in the battle where you can stop and thoroughly analyze what is going on. I personally make it a habit to do this even when the opinion of my gut feeling is clear, because mine is...not very reliable.

MissCreant #6 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 14:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2186 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Thanks guys.

As for the 1500/3000 I just put those numbers down because it was close to a previous game.  Looking I do about 600-650 for tier 5 and about the same tier 6.  Like I said, tier 6 is what I need to work hard on next. So, don't be impressed ;)

Looks like I will have to warm up Twitch and start watching the experts again, if they would stop always playing TIER 10!!!!

TankFullOfBourbon #7 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 18:07

Major

• Players
  • 30591 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostMissCreant, on Sep 15 2019 - 23:53, said:

Well, first of all I am not a unicum.

However, in WOT and in the rest of life I have at least learned one thing, which I think is relevant to your question: there is always someone else who is better than you.

Yeah, I know, it may come as a shock for you, at least if you are in the age group of 10-40. I am a bit older than that and with life experience you stop wondering about when you will be the best, and focus more of your time to be better (than yourself). Compare with youself, are you improving?

My 5 cents.

MissCreant #8 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 19:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2186 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Sep 16 2019 - 18:07, said:

Well, first of all I am not a unicum.

However, in WOT and in the rest of life I have at least learned one thing, which I think is relevant to your question: there is always someone else who is better than you.

Yeah, I know, it may come as a shock for you, at least if you are in the age group of 10-40. I am a bit older than that and with life experience you stop wondering about when you will be the best, and focus more of your time to be better (than yourself). Compare with youself, are you improving?

My 5 cents.

Blasphemy!

Yes, yes, you are right of course.

Where you are wrong, though, is one doesn't have to accept it.  One can rail against it and then when one is forced to accept it it will be in fewer cases and one will be stronger for it.

You also seem to indicate that this struggle is somehow irritating or angry or makes one unhappy.  Au contraire!  I seek out the best of the enemy because I love seeing 'what he/she has".  It is fun and enjoyable!  If I lose the contest I may learn something.  If the other person is just so good I can't compete it will not stop me from going after him next time!

You talk of 'competing against myself'.  That idea is foreign to me!  Who am I?  Why is it so good to beat myself?  How do I determine if I did beat myself?  Competition is against others!  Who cares if I 'beat myself' when I can surprise a CLAWS or MAHOU superunicum in battle and knock him on his keister!  THAT is enjoyment!  THAT is competition!  My 'stats' may say I didn't do so great that game but HE knows I owned him and I know I owned him and that is what matters :)

Stats are fine to concentrate on but one might lose the sight of what PvP is about.  PvP is about the individual dances.  The struggle.  The taking of another person and owning them completely or them to you.  Making the universe dance to your beat or be forced to dance to theirs.   It's those slices of time, those dances that make me love this game.  You don't get that competing with yourself!

You are old and tired ;)  Allow me to try to stoke you up again with a classic:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

TL/DR - It is a strong invocation for us to live boldly and to fight. It implores us to not just "go gentle into that good night," but to rage against it. Even at the end of life, when "grave men" are near death, the poem instructs us to burn with life. The poem's meaning is life affirming

That is my 10 cents.  Inflation, ya know.

Edited by MissCreant, Sep 16 2019 - 19:46.

MissCreant #9 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 20:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2186 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA
LOL, I just reread what I wrote and more understand why some people have said my IRL alignment (in D&D terms) is Chaotic Neutral.  ;)

Boghie #10 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8505 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostMissCreant, on Sep 16 2019 - 13:30, said:

Blasphemy!

Yes, yes, you are right of course.

Where you are wrong, though, is one doesn't have to accept it.  One can rail against it and then when one is forced to accept it it will be in fewer cases and one will be stronger for it.

You also seem to indicate that this struggle is somehow irritating or angry or makes one unhappy.  Au contraire!  I seek out the best of the enemy because I love seeing 'what he/she has".  It is fun and enjoyable!  If I lose the contest I may learn something.  If the other person is just so good I can't compete it will not stop me from going after him next time!

You talk of 'competing against myself'.  That idea is foreign to me!  Who am I?  Why is it so good to beat myself?  How do I determine if I did beat myself?  Competition is against others!  Who cares if I 'beat myself' when I can surprise a CLAWS or MAHOU superunicum in battle and knock him on his keister!  THAT is enjoyment!  THAT is competition!  My 'stats' may say I didn't do so great that game but HE knows I owned him and I know I owned him and that is what matters :)

Stats are fine to concentrate on but one might lose the sight of what PvP is about.  PvP is about the individual dances.  The struggle.  The taking of another person and owning them completely or them to you.  Making the universe dance to your beat or be forced to dance to theirs.   It's those slices of time, those dances that make me love this game.  You don't get that competing with yourself!

You are old and tired ;)  Allow me to try to stoke you up again with a classic:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

TL/DR - It is a strong invocation for us to live boldly and to fight. It implores us to not just "go gentle into that good night," but to rage against it. Even at the end of life, when "grave men" are near death, the poem instructs us to burn with life. The poem's meaning is life affirming

That is my 10 cents.  Inflation, ya know.

Ah, perfection...

I still remember taking out a Mahou Named Sword end-game in a close battle.  I still remember pumping two important rounds into Cody Menz - although that one ended up in 'Come and Brag About Your Disasters'.

All I use stats for regarding personal betterment is to see if I am improving or not.  Win Rate is the key, but sometimes you get put on dump truck teams or teams that otherwise don't work.  Are you still performing?  Kinda short term.  I don't really care if my stats are good while my team is losing.  I don't play with myself - much:hiding:

Ikanator #11 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 21:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

Just going to harp on one thing. Crew skills, crew skills, crew skills. How many skills do your crew members have? You will likely have to get a 3 or 4 skill crew to start wringing the best out of whatever tank you are playing. While it is axiomatic that good players can do well with just about anything, they are usually running with well skilled crews.

My advice, for whatever you think it is worth, is to increase your crews' skills until they have at least 3 or 4 before you go on up to the next tier. The other thing to point out, is that when you play tanks at Tier VII and up, starting with a 100% qualified but otherwise unskilled crew is a recipe for disaster. That's one of the reasons why my overall win rate is so lousy. Note that goes double if the crew is NOT 100% qualified.

As a result, you need to get in the habit of retraining your better crews so they can run in a higher tier tank than the one you initially started them on. Then you need to get a new crew for the tank you just left unmanned so the new crew can start training to eventually be moved up when the time comes. That sort of thing should continue until you get to where you are running Tier X tanks and have crews for all of your lower tier vehicles. Then everybody can stay put. Obviously, if you start out with vehicles in another tech tree line that sort of thing is going to have to be repeated.

I would say that Tier V, and to a lesser extent Tier VI, are the highest tiers you should be putting 100% qualified but otherwise unskilled crews in. Use those vehicles as "training" vehicles to develop the skilled crews you will need for higher tier vehicles as you advance. I know that there are people who will train up only one crew and then continually retrain them to the next vehicle in line as they advance up the tiers. The problem there, as I see it, is that they can only play their highest tier vehicle at any one time. If they wanted to play a lower tier vehicle in that tree for some reason they would have to start over with a totally new crew for that vehicle from scratch. This can be especially important because it can be hard to make credits with higher tier vehicles, especially if you're still relatively new. But if you have a stable of lower tier tanks with decent crews in them then you can just run those until you build your credit balance up enough you feel like hitting the higher tiers again.

Last but not least, the different vehicles in the same line of a tech tree will sometimes have different crew requirements. So even if you try to keep the "same" crew together as you continually retrain them you are still likely to run into situations where you are going to have to add a new crew member to the mix, or drop a crew member who is no longer needed for that vehicle at that tier. For instance, I will eventually be running the T30. I will likely move my Wolverine crew up into that tank when they get 4 skills. But then I will be short a loader because the T30 needs two loaders and the Wolverine only has one. I could recruit a brand new loader for use in the T30, but then that crew will be slightly nerfed until the new 100% qualified but otherwise unskilled loader comes up to speed. Or I could just take the loader from either my Jackson or T78. That would then end up giving me two loaders with 4 skills to retrain for the Tier IX tank. I then get a brand new crew for the Wolverine and a replacement loader for whichever vehicle I robbed to get the loader for the T30. That way my 100% qualified but otherwise unskilled crew members are starting out in tiers that are low enough it won't put them at too much of a disadvantage.

Hopefully you, and other people reading the thread, will find that to have been helpful.

dunniteowl #12 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 22:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 31524 battles

^^^  this is some really good advice on the whole ^^^

OvO

MissCreant #13 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 02:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2186 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postdunniteowl, on Sep 18 2019 - 22:14, said:

^^^  this is some really good advice on the whole ^^^

OvO

I guess it is.

Not at all what I asked for.

But I'm sure it is ;)

Ikanator #14 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 06:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

View PostMissCreant, on Sep 18 2019 - 17:14, said:

I guess it is.

Not at all what I asked for.

But I'm sure it is ;)

You wanted to know how the unicums do it. Crew skills are part of that. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users