Another Look into the Future of WoT

EBR STRV Rebalancing Russian Bias Future New Tanks Wheeled Vehicles Historical General 8.8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Systemrename190 #1 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 04:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 17833 battles
  • [NOD-] NOD-

Today I plan to cover several topics, including trends, what WarGaming says the future will look like, some history and more. Now this post is going to be talking mostly about the WG Fest 2019: A Look into the Future posted by WG on the very same day I am writing this post, however, I am going to start by diving into the history a bit.

World of Tanks quickly started to become more and more popular since it's release on August 12th of 2010. It started declining around May of 2013, just before the release of update 8.8. Update 8.8 brought with it a re-balanced Komarin, which went from absolute badness to tolerable. It brought with it Tundra, which has been changed badly and massively since then, it re-balance Serene Coast, making it the map we know today, and brought back Swamp, with both good and bad changes IMO. Komarin and Swamp are no longer in the game and frankly that's good riddance in the case of Komarin, however Swamp had a lot of potential. Serene Coast is not all that great, and Tundra has suffered a lot due to the boarder wall they added on the west side of the map.

In patch 8.8, they also added the A-43, A-44, Object 416, and Object 140 as the paper tanks we know and love today. The D.W.2 (the Panzer IIIs cousin and arguably not that different) and the VK 30.02 (M) made their debut. The next bit is quite normal for players of five years or less, but a bit of a wth, lol sort of thing for the older players. Firstly, the VK 30.01 (H) was made from a medium tank into a heavy tank, but the only adjustment they made was nerfing the crap out of the speed and mobility, which used to be ridiculously overpowered. Next, they made the VK 36.01 (H) a heavy tank instead of a medium, which was in the cards for a long time, but the only change that occurred was a  major speed buff, making that one the insanely fast one instead.

During the decline of World of Tanks, it bumped back up in popularity in a few steep spikes, the first one happening in December of 2014, and the latest in December of 2017, there was also one that happened in December of 2015. In July of 2015, World of Warships briefly passed World of Tanks in popularity, beating it by 11 points on the index. After being way more popular than World of Tanks for a few weeks or less, it went back under, but never lost all of that sudden progress. In July of 2018, World of Tanks, World of Warships, and War Thunder were all equally popular, and have been generating similar numbers ever since. This all happens in spite of the fact that War Thunder players have always struggled with senseless tech trees and numerous glitches.

So what will the future look like? Minigames, while WG hasn't revealed any info on this just yet, I wonder what they have planned for it. Perhaps we could see the return of fun novelties such as 8-bit Tales, the possibilities are endless. The Great Race: I, personally, I am very, very happy about the return of the Death Track, but it seems like they may try to make some money on this, like selling card packs like they did when they revisited the Tank Soccer event (which was fun but it is arguably not close enough to soccer to be called that). Which has a little potential to alienate some more players. Dual Gun Vehicles: given the picture on the website, I disagree 100% with the way it seems they are planning on implementing these. There is a lot of potential, like, what about multi-turreted vehicles? They could add the T-35 with nerfed ROF to simulate the difficulties of the fire control system, or they could add the use of secondary weapons, like they did in 2018 with the Realm of Fallen Tanks, or like War Thunder players have enjoyed since 2012. But with Dual Gun Vehicles there is a HUGE potential to get things wrong, and further alienate players.

The next things to hit the paper are two really big ones, Halloween and the 'Anonymizer'. First off from what I read it seems like they will be doing some sort of Dark Runners thing again, but it happens at daytime and there is a lot of fog, making it an eerie silence thing. Now this has a lot of potential but given the emphasis on the white and grey color pallet I think the graphics will look exactly like Steel Hunters, and therefore less variety in the game. It will be interesting to see what they're planning on, especially since they are saying that "you also face a particularly powerful Archenemy — unspeakably evil and impressive". I personally can't wait, maybe it could be like an Ice Leviathan, it's cool-headed cousin or something. Most importantly is whether or not you can run into more than one per game, (and multiple types of it) or if defeating one of them ends the match. There is certainly a lot of potential with this concept, especially as they've been so vague so far. 

Next is the Anonymizer, and really it's a big wth, it's not what it says it is and doesn't do what is says it does. The Anonymizer is supposed to give a fake username to you that switches between battles, but won't work if someone views your stats. Like, no, it should not just break there, no, it should have a decoy clan with decoy stats. The Anonymizer just doesn't work, and it does not give you privacy because someone will just look at your stats and go "he lied to me about his username! Not suspicious at all" and probably judge you for it, and wonder why you are lying to everybody. This is just supposed to work in random battles, but what if it worked for clan wars? In detachments you could use this to infiltrate, observe, or sabotage enemy clans and their detachments, without the actual user becoming known as an enemy. It should only change your username and clan tag when you go to a different detachment, that belongs to a different clan, and just change it back as needed. Also, if someone starts a chatroom with you, that mask shouldn't go anywhere unless you tell it to. So, the Anonymizer is an incredibly useful tool that is not incredible, it is not useful, and it is not a tool. The most important part is how exactly will the AI decide what looks like a legitimate username? The AI may decide that A55_MANN1942 and xznvxdjxnxj are equally valid arguments for a username. It may decide that both Merciless_Fat_boy and chrisleighton look like equally legitimate usernames, the possibilities for error are unlimited. And what if you couldn't use those usernames for new accounts, it may take hours to come up with a username or else you just settle on chrisleighton or xznvxdjxnxj or something dumb.

When it comes to WoT, I am cautiously optimistic about it's future. The game is most popular in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine, in that order, and the decline has been a lot more limited in Czechia and Moldova, and could easily make a comeback there. WoT should take a step back and lose a little of their  current playerbase, if only to gain whole lot of their old playerbase, a strategy that worked really well for World of Warcraft, with WoW overtaking WoT briefly  in June of 2012 again in August of 2014 and recently in May of 2016, and since May of 2019, it has been WAY more popular. I can't wait to hear your opinion, but if you should post, I'd really like to see what AI usernames you can come up with, Good Luck on the Battlefield. 

WaywardChild #2 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 05:22

Captain

• Players
  • 39359 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
Guess I'm moving to Belarus :)

jpli #3 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 12:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46003 battles
  • [ALL] ALL

View PostSystemrename190, on Sep 15 2019 - 22:07, said:

When it comes to WoT, I am cautiously optimistic about it's future. WoT should take a step back and lose a little of their  current playerbase, if only to gain whole lot of their old playerbase

Hi,

Good points. The decline in terms of population that plays (not only on NA) should sound an alarm, something we are doing is wrong.

The question as they continue on the same path is why ?

Cheers.

Atragon #4 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 12:28

Major

• Players
  • 44454 battles
  • [FINES] FINES
We need to have a Q & A session with the marketing dept and not he developers.

Firebird646 #5 Posted Sep 16 2019 - 19:52

Private

• -Players-
  • 5167 battles
  • [FURHQ] FURHQ

View PostSystemrename190, on Sep 16 2019 - 04:07, said:

Next is the Anonymizer, and really it's a big wth, it's not what it says it is and doesn't do what is says it does. The Anonymizer is supposed to give a fake username to you that switches between battles, but won't work if someone views your stats. The Anonymizer just doesn't work, and it does not give you privacy because someone will just look at your stats and go "he lied to me about his username! Not suspicious at all" and probably judge you for it, and wonder why you are lying to everybody. This is just supposed to work in random battles, but what if it worked for clan wars? In detachments you could use this to infiltrate, observe, or sabotage enemy clans and their detachments, without the actual user becoming known as an enemy. It should only change your username and clan tag when you go to a different detachment, that belongs to a different clan, and just change it back as needed. 

What are you going on about?

The anonymizer is just going to give you a fake username in battles. After the battle and everywhere else your actual username will be displayed, there's no way you could use it to "infiltrate" an enemy clan in CW since you have to create the deployments outside of battle.

View PostSystemrename190, on Sep 16 2019 - 04:07, said:

Like, no, it should not just break there, no, it should have a decoy clan with decoy stats.

However, one thing that I agree with you on that would be necessary is the fake stats and clan tag, so it isn't obvious to xvm users who's anonymized .

Systemrename190 #6 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 02:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 17833 battles
  • [NOD-] NOD-

View PostFirebird646, on Sep 16 2019 - 11:52, said:

What are you going on about?

The anonymizer is just going to give you a fake username in battles. After the battle and everywhere else your actual username will be displayed, there's no way you could use it to "infiltrate" an enemy clan in CW since you have to create the deployments outside of battle.

However, one thing that I agree with you on that would be necessary is the fake stats and clan tag, so it isn't obvious to xvm users who's anonymized .

I did say "What if", just a possibility

Copacetic #7 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 16:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 48824 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
If it dies. I move on.

Systemrename190 #8 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 00:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 17833 battles
  • [NOD-] NOD-
Mini games are now here and they didn't put a lot of effort into that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users