Jump to content


wthis an AE phase 1


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

ThePigSheFlies #21 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 78121 battles
  • 17,916
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View PostRetroMan55, on Sep 16 2019 - 20:13, said:

Just saw my first group of these new Heavies - two on their team, one on ours.  Great, just what we need more OP tanks in the hands of hardcore players.  That's how you will keep a constant stream of new players coming into the game.

 

the hull is butter, from pretty much any angle.  the turret, even when hull down isn't what I'd call reliable, except dead straight on, hull down, and the cupola while smaller than an e5's continental sized one isn't difficult to hit compared to say an obj 430's...

 

leaping to the conclusion that wargaming is giving away a free "OP" tank to folks that have the time/ability to grind out an alternative game mode seems strange...

 

I don't play heavies much.  I tried it a couple of times.  Not my thing.  



obj69 #22 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:42

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 5828 battles
  • 80
  • [BITSA] BITSA
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011
I think it looks really cool, but I have no idea how it plays.

Edited by obj69, Sep 17 2019 - 22:42.


Rabbitlover2017 #23 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:59

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1935 battles
  • 436
  • Member since:
    11-17-2018
As with any new vehicle, many seem to complain about how "OP" the vehicle is.

However, if you would actually look at its stats, its really just an M103 with a split track. Not anywhere near "OP", especially when compared to the OP standards set by Obj. 279e, T95 Cheftain, or Obj. 970.

The misconception of its "OPness" comes from people not knowing how to play against it, and the fact that only the most dedicated WoT players have been able to earn one.

Wait a few weeks and the "OPness" will boil off.

Edited by Rabbitlover2017, Sep 17 2019 - 22:59.


kapri25 #24 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 23:06

    Captain

  • Players
  • 19733 battles
  • 1,343
  • [KRUSH] KRUSH
  • Member since:
    03-21-2014

View PostRabbitlover2017, on Sep 17 2019 - 16:59, said:

As with any new vehicle, many seem to complain about how "OP" the vehicle is.

However, if you would actually look at its stats, its really just an M103 with a split track. Not anywhere near "OP", especially when compared to the OP standards set by Obj. 279e, T95 Cheftain, or Obj. 970.

The misconception of its "OPness" comes from people not knowing how to play against it, and the fact that only the most dedicated WoT players have been able to earn one.

Wait a few weeks and the "OPness" will boil off.

 

It is, literally, the quintessential reward tank. A couple of cool things but nothing to special. And I do mean reward tank since it does not give the bonus for XP or credits. A tank I don't think I will take out a lot if not letting it sit in the garage for long periods. Seriously...just shoot anywhere on the hull. 120mm of armor thickness...there isn't a tank that can't pen it that will see it.



RetroMan55 #25 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 04:24

    Captain

  • Players
  • 94539 battles
  • 1,377
  • [DWING] DWING
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Sep 17 2019 - 15:19, said:

 

the hull is butter, from pretty much any angle.  the turret, even when hull down isn't what I'd call reliable, except dead straight on, hull down, and the cupola while smaller than an e5's continental sized one isn't difficult to hit compared to say an obj 430's...

 

leaping to the conclusion that wargaming is giving away a free "OP" tank to folks that have the time/ability to grind out an alternative game mode seems strange...

 

I don't play heavies much.  I tried it a couple of times.  Not my thing.  

 

In the first encounter where I saw them (we had 1 the other team had two) our guy pushed past the MT's on the hill in El Halluf and drove over like he wasn't worried about anything.  I put 4 shots from my T54E1 and was promptly killed by the I was shooting at - so my first impression was another OP tank I've never heard of.  My second view was of the track system, which looks like it belongs in a Sci-Fi game.  Like many others of my age group, I got into this game to see how M4's would fair against Tigers and Panthers.  The game has come up the timeline quite a bit from WWII.



kapri25 #26 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 04:55

    Captain

  • Players
  • 19733 battles
  • 1,343
  • [KRUSH] KRUSH
  • Member since:
    03-21-2014

View PostRetroMan55, on Sep 17 2019 - 22:24, said:

 

In the first encounter where I saw them (we had 1 the other team had two) our guy pushed past the MT's on the hill in El Halluf and drove over like he wasn't worried about anything.  I put 4 shots from my T54E1 and was promptly killed by the I was shooting at - so my first impression was another OP tank I've never heard of.  My second view was of the track system, which looks like it belongs in a Sci-Fi game.  Like many others of my age group, I got into this game to see how M4's would fair against Tigers and Panthers.  The game has come up the timeline quite a bit from WWII.

 

A lot of the tanks you will see (even on the tech tree) are not WW2. A lot, if not all, of the tanks above tier 6 and 7 are Cold War Era tanks. That big box that you see on the top of the AE's gun is an IR light. Kind of a caveman's introduction to nightvision. Except it needed a "special lamp" to illuminate targets. Picture below is of an IR lamp on top of a M60.

 

Posted Image



RetroMan55 #27 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 05:07

    Captain

  • Players
  • 94539 battles
  • 1,377
  • [DWING] DWING
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014

View Postkapri25, on Sep 17 2019 - 21:55, said:

 

A lot of the tanks you will see (even on the tech tree) are not WW2. A lot, if not all, of the tanks above tier 6 and 7 are Cold War Era tanks. That big box that you see on the top of the AE's gun is an IR light. Kind of a caveman's introduction to nightvision. Except it needed a "special lamp" to illuminate targets. Picture below is of an IR lamp on top of a M60.

 

Posted Image

 

Yes I know, I've been playing this game since Feb. 6th, 2014.  But a lot of these tanks never existed, some not even as Blueprints (I'm looking at the Japanese HT's that seem to have been conceived at a saki party where some Naval guys were explaining to Army tankers what they needed to beat M4's - "You need big gun, and guns here, here and here, and lots of thick armor, real thick" ) .  This game has strayed far from where it was when a lot of us started playing it.



kapri25 #28 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 05:18

    Captain

  • Players
  • 19733 battles
  • 1,343
  • [KRUSH] KRUSH
  • Member since:
    03-21-2014

View PostRetroMan55, on Sep 17 2019 - 23:07, said:

 

Yes I know, I've been playing this game since Feb. 6th, 2014.  But a lot of these tanks never existed, some not even as Blueprints (I'm looking at the Japanese HT's that seem to have been conceived at a saki party where some Naval guys were explaining to Army tankers what they needed to beat M4's - "You need big gun, and guns here, here and here, and lots of thick armor, real thick" ) .  This game has strayed far from where it was when a lot of us started playing it.

 

Yeah...I remember as well. Also, found this for you about where this tank comes from. Technically not a heavy...

 

https://thedailybounce.net/museums-events-historical/historical/history-behind-ae-phase-i/



RetroMan55 #29 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 05:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 94539 battles
  • 1,377
  • [DWING] DWING
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014

View Postkapri25, on Sep 17 2019 - 22:18, said:

 

Yeah...I remember as well. Also, found this for you about where this tank comes from. Technically not a heavy...

 

https://thedailybounce.net/museums-events-historical/historical/history-behind-ae-phase-i/

 

Thanks, an interesting read.  +1 for information exchange instead of the usual non-informative comments others like to give.



Runcible #30 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 17:39

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 32608 battles
  • 91
  • Member since:
    11-25-2014

View PostMajorRenegade, on Sep 17 2019 - 04:34, said:

it a new tank, there going to be a lot of confusion as players get push back into a wall with no knowledge on how to fight this thing. Give it few weeks and players will be penning it left and right

They are soft in sides and rear...real soft.my m53 can pen those sides.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users