Anonymizer vs. Trolls and Troll Platoons

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

FineousOrlon #1 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 19:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21382 battles
  1. My last 2 battles were trolled by the kellerman excelsior platoons.
  2. I have people on my blacklist that I want to know if they are in battle with me.
  3. I want to be able to recognize friends in battle.

The Anonymizer is a poor idea, as far as I am concerned, because of how it will affect these 3 points.

Feel free to post more ways the Anonymizer is a bad idea, or thoughtful counterpoints.

Edited by FineousOrlon, Sep 17 2019 - 20:05.

turbomagnus #2 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 19:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6809 battles

Actually, I think you've pretty much covered the same points/problems I have with the concept; protects trolls (which is why my first thought was 'griefer guard; protects griefers from consequences), prevents us from knowing who we're on a team with (good and bad) and how they might play, might interfere in blacklisting people for whatever reasons we might have (inappropriate chat comments, etc.)...

Crazy___Canuck #3 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 19:46

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 30154 battles
Careful, you’ll get the purple entitled hyperbole prone types that claim that they’re being focused ‘all the time’, and how miserable it makes them.

Watch for incoming fire!

dnaman #4 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 19:52

Captain

• Players
  • 32709 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
Are they seriously thinking of making everyone anonymous in battle now?  Little snowflakes all upset?  People want to focus me or ignore me, that’s on them.  I think it’s a terrible idea. 

Overdile_Spittle #5 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62992 battles
  • [LOYAL] LOYAL
You're kidding.  I really hope this is not a thing.  Haven't played yet this week.

turbomagnus #6 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 20:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6809 battles

Not added yet, but they're talking about it for upcoming updates... unfortunately.

For some reason, and I might get in trouble for saying it, I can't help but have this feeling that the whole point of the thing basically boils down to "we don't have to ban people for trolling and physics abuse if the other players can't identify them to properly report them"...

FineousOrlon #7 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 20:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21382 battles

View PostOverdile_Spittle, on Sep 17 2019 - 19:57, said:

You're kidding.  I really hope this is not a thing.  Haven't played yet this week.

Troll platoons in Excelsiors are a real thing, currently.

Anonymizer is coming to a  *Battle Near You in the near future, supposedly.

This WoT news article: https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/game-events/wargaming-fest-2019/

Edited by FineousOrlon, Sep 17 2019 - 20:02.

FineousOrlon #8 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 20:03

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21382 battles

View Postturbomagnus, on Sep 17 2019 - 20:01, said:

Not added yet, but they're talking about it for upcoming updates... unfortunately.

For some reason, and I might get in trouble for saying it, I can't help but have this feeling that the whole point of the thing basically boils down to "we don't have to ban people for trolling and physics abuse if the other players can't identify them to properly report them"...

I do wonder if this is an "easy way out" solution.

SlappedbyRommel #9 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 20:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10526 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostFineousOrlon, on Sep 17 2019 - 20:02, said:

Troll platoons in Excelsiors are a real thing, currently.

Anonymizer is coming to a  *Battle Near You in the near future, supposedly.

This WoT news article: https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/game-events/wargaming-fest-2019/

Oh how I can see this back firing so make sure you don't know who the troll or asssjockey is so instead of dealing with them enable them more - just great.

Siergen #10 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 20:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10493 battles
  • [H_FUN] H_FUN

I am assuming that you will be able to click on the temporary "anonymous" name in-game to blacklist and/or report the hidden "real" account name.  Supposedly the ream names will be shown on the post-battle results screen.

I do not recall reading anything about how clan-names will show up in the game client for "anonymous" players.  Also, will players on your friends list show up in-game on your client with their "anonymous" name, or will friends always be visible to each other?

GWyatt #11 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 21:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4276 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostFineousOrlon, on Sep 17 2019 - 13:39, said:

1. My last 2 battles were trolled by the kellerman excelsior platoons.
  2. I have people on my blacklist that I want to know if they are in battle with me.
  3. I want to be able to recognize friends in battle.

The Anonymizer is a poor idea, as far as I am concerned, because of how it will affect these 3 points.

Feel free to post more ways the Anonymizer is a bad idea, or thoughtful counterpoints.

If I'm understanding it correctly, the Anonymizer issues you a random name in battle only. It would not affect anything else about you or the other players in the battle. The game will still know who is who, only the displayed name would be different than your actual in-game name.

Given that, it should not affect if someone is blacklisted as the game knows the actual name and it should act exactly as it does now for blacklisted players. I would also think that reporting someone in game would also not be affected as it is only the displayed name that you see that is different.

As far as seeing your friends, I thought it was setup as an opt in, so if they don't opt in, nothing changes. (Would be nice if at some point there was some easy indicator of who on your friends list is in battle with you.)

As to the Kellerman excelsior platoons, those trolls are going to troll no matter what name they are currently using. So changing names means nothing to them or what they are doing.

The Anonymizer is a solution to a long standing, heavily debated, issue in the game in that certain tools are that are allowed are too often abused or used for abuse. They could just outlaw XVM and all tools similar to it, but XVM is so much more than in-battle stats that some find useful. The Anonymizer is a compromise.

Abuse by some players in game is why we can't have nice things. And before the snowflake crap comes out, I do turn off certain things in game to improve my gaming experience, so I'm pretty good with it all at the moment. I do think that if enough players opt in to Anonymizer, you will see some difference in game play. Maybe you might see an improvement as players assume everyone is a tomato on your team and everyone on the red team is a unicum. Who knows until we try it.

DomoSapien #12 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 21:26

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14984 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

So, preserving reporting functionality is definitely a concern for us, and it's my understanding that Customer Support will have a way to identify the anonymized players being reported in replays. I'm not sure what these guys' fascination with impersonating Claus is, but they aren't affiliated with him in the slightest, for what it's worth.

Sure Claus is Claus and he's got his style, but he's actually a really nice dude and doesn't have any personal interest in trolling people and intentionally ruining their battles. 

3nr0n #13 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 21:50

Captain

• Players
  • 23416 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

The Anonymizer 

The anonymizer is a tool that conceals a player's real username in battle. This feature was announced at last year's WG Fest, and is important to our players. The main task of the anonymizer is to maintain a certain privacy in game, and the tool we’re currently working on can solve this issue. 

We had several ideas of how the anonymizer should work in World of Tanks, but the most fitting concept for players is they should be anonymous only during battles.

How does it work? You select an option in the game settings and activate the anonymizer. The game generates a random username in each battle. It's not a random string of symbols, but a word that more or less makes sense, so other players won't even notice you have the anonymizer turned on. They only realize it after the battle when they want to see your battle statistics.

The anonymizer will let many players feel more comfortable in battle. There will be less “social pressure,” and you’ll be able to play your favorite game in peace.

Ok so a troll uses this feature and does his thing abusing the physics etc...  Post battle if you were to look for the troll he doesn't show up but I presume the vehicle type will.  You have 2 or 3 of the same vehicle in the match so that means you can't be 100% sure whom the troll was.  

It seems that WG is actually promoting/feeding the trolls if this feature were added to the game.  It also lets bad players camp the red line behind arty and run and hide in their favorite spot without other team members being able to report them or add them to their blacklist.

If they do this then they should make the players pay $$$$$ for the right to be anonymous.  Since WG is all about the bottom dollar and trying to maximize their earnings make the trolls pay for it got give it to them for free.

WG don't feed the trolls:angry:

Buttknuckle #14 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 52698 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
I don't understand all this focusing on the topic of in-game trolls/griefers. Last patch they dumbed down the game by removing team damage because of trolls. Now they've introduced some attempt at providing anonymity in game (a feature some people have asked for to reduce focus and stat shaming) and people are dwelling on how it might be abused by trolls.  How often do you people really encounter a troll in a game? I doubt I see one every 50 games or so.
Seems like many of you are focusing on what rarely happens, rather than the impact these changes will bring to vast majority of games. 

ThePigSheFlies #15 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:27

Major

• Players
  • 78162 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostButtknuckle, on Sep 17 2019 - 16:20, said:

Seems like many of you are focusing on what rarely happens, rather than the impact these changes will bring to vast majority of games. 

when some of the bot/griefer/troll accounts have tens of thousands of battles, your definition of rare, is probably not consistent with my own.  yes, it's true that I might only run into one of those griefers (like in my hall of shame thread) several dozen times in total - but I am obviously not the only person significantly affected by this person and those like him.

I'm talking of course about a person that survives something like 10% of his battles, and yet still only averages 50% of his hit points taken in battle in a defender...  (the clear implication is intentional suicide, and exit to garage which on a win results in exploding and incurring full repair costs)

DrWho_ #16 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 26434 battles

View PostDomoSapien, on Sep 17 2019 - 21:26, said:

So, preserving reporting functionality is definitely a concern for us, and it's my understanding that Customer Support will have a way to identify the anonymized players being reported in replays.

But that doesn't help us in a battle does it. I have a few people BL'ed because they are notorious map pingers and/or really abusive in chat, not that I care what they actually say but having them filtered out makes it easier to see if there's anything relevant in the chat. Not that there usually is of course but you never know.

Does this mean that the BL function is now null and void in a game if these people decide to go anonymous ?

Which reminds me btw, how is that WG allow people to ping the map continuously but there's a time limit to the "request fire at xxx" which is a quite useful feature for passive scouts ?

Flarvin #17 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:34

Major

• Players
  • 55072 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Sep 17 2019 - 16:27, said:

when some of the bot/griefer/troll accounts have tens of thousands of battles, your definition of rare, is probably not consistent with my own.  yes, it's true that I might only run into one of those griefers (like in my hall of shame thread) several dozen times in total - but I am obviously not the only person significantly affected by this person and those like him.

Your problem does not seem with the frequency, but the effects of when it does happen. 

So yes it happens rarely, but when it does, you find in highly disruptive.  

I almost never see deliberate trolling in match. 

turbomagnus #18 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6809 battles

View PostButtknuckle, on Sep 17 2019 - 22:20, said:

I don't understand all this focusing on the topic of in-game trolls/griefers. Last patch they dumbed down the game by removing team damage because of trolls. Now they've introduced some attempt at providing anonymity in game (a feature some people have asked for to reduce focus and stat shaming) and people are dwelling on how it might be abused by trolls.  How often do you people really encounter a troll in a game? I doubt I see one every 50 games or so.

Honestly '1 in 50 battles', considering how many battles can be played a day even by a casual player, can still come out to be 'one every two or three days'... I've seen two instances in the last two days; one single player and one two-person platoon (yup, them.), so I can't agree that it necessarily 'rarely happens'.

kapri25 #19 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:37

Captain

• Players
  • 19733 battles
  • [KRUSH] KRUSH

View PostDomoSapien, on Sep 17 2019 - 15:26, said:

Sure Claus is Claus and he's got his style, but he's actually a really nice dude and doesn't have any personal interest in trolling people and intentionally ruining their battles. 

Claus can be rescuing kittens from a tree and walking old ladies across the street...but when you publicly shame people in your videos that are not ***holes...in the end though....it doesn't even matter. I don't follow him nor look at his videos anymore. Ted Bundy was a nice guy.

Flarvin #20 Posted Sep 17 2019 - 22:39

Major

• Players
  • 55072 battles

View Postturbomagnus, on Sep 17 2019 - 16:35, said:

Honestly '1 in 50 battles', considering how many battles can be played a day even by a casual player, can still come out to be 'one every two or three days'... I've seen two instances in the last two days; one single player and one two-person platoon (yup, them.), so I can't agree that it necessarily 'rarely happens'.

50 matches is over 5 hours of WoT, which I doubt casual players play that much in 2 to 3 days. Except for maybe special weekends. 

Heck I might play 5 hours in 2 to 3 days, and I am more than what one would call a casual player. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users