Crew Books versus Crew Trainers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Big_0 #1 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 03:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 19537 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE

Maybe I’m just thinking incorrectly, or has crew trainer tanks kinda become a moot point since the advent of crew books? I never bothered looking at mine until today, and I had 2 American crew books (20k xp) and 1 large book ( don’t remember how much xp)

I spent them on a new crew for American Medium tanks and went from a 100% crew with no skills to a crew with 2 full skills and 73% (or there abouts) before I ever entered battle. Put them in M4A1 and promptly got shellacked but that’s neither here nor there. 

My question is doesn’t it make sense to just buy the big books with silver instead of buying tanks as crew trainers? I haven’t done the math yet financially but may do it in the morning. Thanks fellas!

Garandster #2 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 03:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6134 battles
Basically you need a few good credit makers and that's it these days. Train one in the tank and train the rest with credits.

Nightshield_ #3 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 03:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 37530 battles

View PostGarandster, on Sep 18 2019 - 02:18, said:

Basically you need a few good credit makers and that's it these days. Train one in the tank and train the rest with credits.

Agreed.

rockbutcher #4 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 03:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22783 battles
  • [-OPS-] -OPS-
It's not a moot point as OP states above.  The premium 'crew trainer' tanks will make you a lot more silver than your regular tech tree tanks do along with training your crews faster.  As such, you get the best of both worlds; grind the crews faster until you have the creds to buy a book.

Sink_Stuff #5 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 03:56

Captain

• Players
  • 16047 battles

View PostBig_0, on Sep 18 2019 - 02:07, said:

Maybe I’m just thinking incorrectly, or has crew trainer tanks kinda become a moot point since the advent of crew books? I never bothered looking at mine until today, and I had 2 American crew books (20k xp) and 1 large book ( don’t remember how much xp)

I spent them on a new crew for American Medium tanks and went from a 100% crew with no skills to a crew with 2 full skills and 73% (or there abouts) before I ever entered battle. Put them in M4A1 and promptly got shellacked but that’s neither here nor there. 

My question is doesn’t it make sense to just buy the big books with silver instead of buying tanks as crew trainers? I haven’t done the math yet financially but may do it in the morning. Thanks fellas!

It really just gives people the option to use cash, real cash, and in game credits to train crews. Remember gold can be used to buy credits as well. So you can literally buy a crew this way. You could do it before also but this way doesn't require you to play a lot of games first (as in the old way required you to have a lot of banked free XP on something). Now, anyone can buy their way to Sixth Sense and other must have skills. 

This is important because if someone joins a clan and wants to contribute to the team they are often left feeling put off when they are told that they simply can't be part of the team because they don't have the crew skills to do the job they need to do. This was very common in the past and players would have to spend a lot of game time working on Type 64 crews and things that they normally otherwise would not play. Now, those players can join any clan, gind any premium tank and then setup whatever they need to be helpful in skirmishes or whatever. It really has been a wonderful thing for clans when they did this. I wish they had this years ago. It also encourages players to get invested, really invested in the tanks that they really like to play. Want a six skill crew on that great tank, well, just earn the credits for it. Really nice huh? That player then wants to keep playing the game because they are now invested in a crew and a tank. This in my view is a great thing for the game and levels the playing field as well for clans and new players. 

TheManFromKekistan #6 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 04:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles
Books compliment the prem tanks because you train your crew as you grind for credits to buy the book in the first place. Plus most newer and a few older premiums are as good or better than tech tree and some even have pref mm so if you have the money then why not? But overall yes if you are short on disposable funds then getting a good credit grinder premium can certainly fund books for other lines.

I_QQ_4_U #7 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 04:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 23628 battles
If you have lots of credits burning a hole in your pocket the books are great but I wouldn't use more than 2, maybe 3, on a new crew. Being able to earn more credits and train a crew still makes them a worthwhile crew trainer for crew with over 2 (trained) skills.

RagnarokBazil #8 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 10:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25707 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostGarandster, on Sep 17 2019 - 21:18, said:

basicly buy credits from the shop enjoy your crew books..

jamesdoz #9 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 15:04

Major

• Players
  • 39615 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostBig_0, on Sep 17 2019 - 21:07, said:

I would say one Prem for each line at most then Books, Or 3 Tier 8 prems and buy books with the credits, WG kinda made a mistake with this one, Once everyone realizes it the premium tank sales will dry up, Buy those books while you can!

_Bagheera_ #10 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 36887 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Grind the crews in the tanks while you grind credits for the books. And after a certain point books aren't really effective. 

golruul #11 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 21:26

Captain

• Players
  • 22183 battles

If you can earn a lot of credits per hour, then grinding credits and buying books is better, especially if you can grind the credits in tanks you like.  I think I earn around 700k credits an hour for random battles (premium account, premium tanks, credit boost), so it'll take 3 hours to buy a 2M book to train a crew. 

Using this method has the (potentially huge) benefit of saving money because you can only buy 2-4 (OP probably) premium tanks to grind credits in, rather than multiple premium tanks per nation/class like you had to do before.

However, this method crumbles if you don't have premium account, tier 8 premium tanks to grind credits in, and credit boosters.  If you don't have all of these (i.e. pure F2P player), you're better off grinding crew xp the old way.

DrWho_ #12 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 22:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 26530 battles

View Post_Bagheera_, on Sep 18 2019 - 19:51, said:

Grind the crews in the tanks while you grind credits for the books. And after a certain point books aren't really effective. 

Pretty much. The books are very nice to put the first and second skill on a crew but after that it gets really expensive to level up just with books, maybe use them to finish off a long grind on a perk or something after that but getting expensive for the gain in %

ThePigSheFlies #13 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 78354 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

I have a lot of premium tanks I don't play.  A lot are heavies from years ago.

I have, and kept the Tier 9 Conq, because tier 9 > tier 10 MM.  After the last campaign, I grabbed the SConq, stuck an all lady crew in it, burned 3 or 4 crew books, and now the crew is adequate for a heavy, so, if called upon for the next campaign, or if I break down and need it to be used for personal missions in the SConq, and/or Chieftan I can.  And I don't have to "grind the crew" in the Caern Ax which I don't have, and don't really want.

On the other hand, I really enjoy french LTs, and thus have both the 1357 and ELC Even 90, which have pushed my all lady 1390 crew (original crew went to batchat years ago) up to almost 7 skills...

TheManFromKekistan #14 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 05:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View Post_Bagheera_, on Sep 18 2019 - 13:51, said:

Dunno. I can make two million credits faster than I can accumulate 250k xp on a single crew unless I constantly run boosters. But yes they are far more useful on a no skill crew as that gets you a full first skill and a good ways into the second and two books will get you into your third skill from a fresh crew.

ShadowDancer27 #15 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 05:27

Major

• Players
  • 31208 battles

since dumping a pile of books on a crew is peanuts versus a few primary classification changes wth silver....

Be creative.  If you need a 5 skill light crew commander don't throw books at a three crew tank...put them in a tank with a big crew so you get all those others trained up.

TheManFromKekistan #16 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 05:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostShadowDancer27, on Sep 18 2019 - 23:27, said:

since dumping a pile of books on a crew is peanuts versus a few primary classification changes wth silver....

Be creative.  If you need a 5 skill light crew commander don't throw books at a three crew tank...put them in a tank with a big crew so you get all those others trained up.

Can only use books on crew in their original tank.

Slatherer #17 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 37075 battles
You really want to train crews?  In addition to what you are doing, add in a premium account and grind out a tank but don't elite it.  Take your x3 xp five times a day indefinitely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users