IS-3A For Sale - Is it Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Sink_Stuff #1 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 12:28

Captain

• Players
  • 15532 battles

I think it is. I was one of the fail players who originally bought this when it first went on sale before it had the re-loader system. Even then, it wasn't a bad premium and this was before the Defender was out. 

But how is it now? It's much better now. But it's more of a support heavy. If you are NOT a good heavy tank player then you will NOT like the IS-3A. Tons of people got one at Christmas and hated on the tank and said that the Defender was a much better tank, and for many players it is. However, the good player can do amazing things with an IS-3A. I have seen amazing games with it and I am getting closer to having an amazing game with one myself. 

Here are the things that really upset new players about this tank

1. Bad gun handling - This thing is not a sniper tank. However, it can support well up front. It can take some mid range sniping shots and that is often best how it needs to be played because it's armor works best at longer ranges and when not exposing the hull. 

2. Slow - This is a slow tank. It's not so much the heavium that many players hope that it is. It's more of a true heavy with slight medium ability. 

3. Bad armor up front - The armor on this tank might as well not even exist if you are playing it in a heavy tank lane. But at range, the armor can work well if you use that nose correctly or reverse side scrape correctly. 

But all of these combined really turns players off. People who are good at the IS-3 love this tank. People who are bad at the IS-3 don't like this tank. Be warned, it is a good tank and can have amazing games. But it's not a forgiving tank. This is more of an expert players tank. If you already have a Defender then a lot of people say don't bother with the IS-3A. It's a huge debate among heavy tank players. However, people who like Italian medium tanks and have come to learn best how to use auto reloader tanks rather like this tank a lot. It really all depends on the player and if they know how best to play a regular IS-3 and other auto-reloader system tanks. 

Edited by Sink_Stuff, Sep 18 2019 - 12:40.

__WarChild__ #2 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 13:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 32417 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
Well, it is so OP that 4TankersAndDog uninstalled when it came out and hasn't been heard from since.  So there's that...

Sink_Stuff #3 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 13:31

Captain

• Players
  • 15532 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Sep 18 2019 - 12:20, said:

Well, it is so OP that 4TankersAndDog uninstalled when it came out and hasn't been heard from since.  So there's that...

Yeah i remember his long exit video and rant. But honestly, I lose all respect for someone who plays this game and then pretends that it's supposed to be balanced, because it isn't supposed to be balanced at all. Tier 8's see tier 10's. In what world is having a tiered system when lower tiers face higher tiers balanced to begin with? In what world are random fail teams balanced. Obviously he wasn't here in the early days when it took what a year to convince Wargaming that a KV-1 should not face tier 2 tanks. 

This game, by it's very design, is completely unbalanced. So leaving the game because an under-performing tank gets a major buff to me is laughable. It obviously shows that he never really understood the game from the beginning. 

dave_292 #4 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 13:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28786 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
 People thought it would be a defender with an auto loader when it came out. Its armor is fine for a T8 and over all I love the tank.

YANKEE137 #5 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 14:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 13970 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
I have it, never thought it was OP, you nailed it the pros and cons well. I would add though that if you use it in Frontline you get focused by a LOT of people. As soon as you get spotted you have to move because arty is already on the way.  People in other sectors will drop on you fer cryin out loud.  I blame all the hypesters.

GeorgePreddy #6 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 14:27

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Sep 18 2019 - 09:20, said:

Yeah... I believe 4T&D used that as an excuse to go on his way and do whatever it was he wanted to do. After all, he had done almost every interesting experiment possible with WoT.

I liked his stuff a lot, he had a truth & logic approach to his experiments and even had some elements of a scientific approach to his videos, and that's what I'm all about. So, was sorry to see him go, we lost a good "warrior" against silly tin foil hat conspiracies, but maybe it was just his time to do it.

ShiningArmor101 #7 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 14:45

Major

• Players
  • 42009 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostSink_Stuff, on Sep 18 2019 - 07:31, said:

In what world is having a tiered system when lower tiers face higher tiers balanced to begin with? In what world are random fail teams balanced. Obviously he wasn't here in the early days when it took what a year to convince Wargaming that a KV-1 should not face tier 2 tanks. 

I might be the black sheep in this, but I actually enjoyed the T5 KV (It wasn't called a "KV-1" yet) in T10 battles. I hate the whole +1/-1 or +0/-0 MM cause it's quite boring, and not really challenging....With the exception if I'm in the team that is being rolled over that is. The Tier I play most is T8 and I often look forward to T10 battles, and whenever I'm top tier in said T8, I'm like "meh".

I don't know how much you played World of Tanks back when it just got out of Beta, but it was much more brutal then that. From what I recall, the "KV" didn't see T1 or T2s, but did see T4s up to T10s. I also remember facing T9s (Specifically T9 M26 Pershings) when I was playing the M3 Lee (And when the T23 was still a thing). But at the end of the day, it's just some rambling from a random player.

PTwr #8 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 14:58

Major

• Players
  • 45482 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Its derpy gun is indeed a turnoff for many. It got heck lot of of other weaknesses to pay for that cheatloader.

So in the end you get blanked nerfed IS-3 with a funky gun clip. Personaly I found bad sides to outweight its two advamtages (drum and premium status) so it just gathers dust together with filthy Defender.

Sink_Stuff #9 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 14:59

Captain

• Players
  • 15532 battles

View PostShiningArmor101, on Sep 18 2019 - 13:45, said:

I might be the black sheep in this, but I actually enjoyed the T5 KV (It wasn't called a "KV-1" yet) in T10 battles. I hate the whole +1/-1 or +0/-0 MM cause it's quite boring, and not really challenging....With the exception if I'm in the team that is being rolled over that is. The Tier I play most is T8 and I often look forward to T10 battles, and whenever I'm top tier in said T8, I'm like "meh".

I don't know how much you played World of Tanks back when it just got out of Beta, but it was much more brutal then that. From what I recall, the "KV" didn't see T1 or T2s, but did see T4s up to T10s. I also remember facing T9s (Specifically T9 M26 Pershings) when I was playing the M3 Lee (And when the T23 was still a thing). But at the end of the day, it's just some rambling from a random player.

I remember when the KV had the KV-2 turret and derp gun at tier 5. Remember that one? That was before they switched it up and then made the KV into the KV-1 and the KV-2 at tier 6 with the derp gun. Yeah I remember those days, and not fondly either. 

ShiningArmor101 #10 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 15:06

Major

• Players
  • 42009 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostSink_Stuff, on Sep 18 2019 - 08:59, said:

I remember when the KV had the KV-2 turret and derp gun at tier 5. Remember that one? That was before they switched it up and then made the KV into the KV-1 and the KV-2 at tier 6 with the derp gun. Yeah I remember those days, and not fondly either. 

I do. I was there when Patch 0.7.2 and Patch 0.7.3 occurred. And in contrast to you, I enjoyed those days - More maps, content was fresh, Tank Company battles were fun, and other weird things. I still remember when the Type 59 was first sold in the game and ruined MM with numerous Type 59s in each battle. I still remember the T9 T34 before it became a Premium tank in Patch 7.2, how the KV-3 was a T6 before Patch 7.3, and so on.

Sturm_Teufel #11 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 48378 battles
  • [-P-] -P-
Not worth $50 for me. Nope. I currently haz no coopahn, so I shan't be acquiring said IS3 A.

BladedPheonix #12 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 43264 battles
  • [KKREW] KKREW

Bought me a mutant yesterday and I don't regret my choice.:medal: had 6x 100k credit games yesterday!

View PostSink_Stuff, on Sep 18 2019 - 07:59, said:

Same, it was a nightmare if you were in tier 3, you couldn't pen anything! and were often to slow to scout when uptiered.:ohmy: Only option was to hide and hope the big scary tanks wouldn't notice you.:hiding:

IndygoEEI #13 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 61439 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

My IS3A only comes out for FL as my opener.  After that it's rare if it sees another

engagement in the same battle.

MountainLion1 #14 Posted Sep 18 2019 - 16:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24930 battles
  • [TMBPK] TMBPK
I purchased this tank the first day it was sold in the premium shop. I thought the IS-3 used to be better in just about every way. Since it received the auto reloader system I have only played a couple of battles in it. The IS-3A is definitely a better tank now but as it has been stated the accuracy of the gun can be frustrating at times. The ability to have the reloading system does help to offset the poor accuracy and increases the impact you can have in battle. See y’all on the battlefield.

4TankersAndDog #15 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 06:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 27041 battles
  • [122MM] 122MM

lol, you all are funny...

ps, was never about the IS-3A, it was about the IS-3A only being available in loot boxes...

Now that it's for sale generally (and has been previously this year) there's no moral dilemma to stress about, buy it or not up to you.

And yeah WarChild I saw your note in the Double Barrel Loot Box thread lol, that would certainly cause a fresh kerfuffle wouldn't it :-P

o7 folks, it's a game, keep having fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users