Why does Wargaming allow seal clubbing?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

spud_tuber #21 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:18

Major

• Players
  • 59282 battles

View PostFlarvin, on Sep 20 2019 - 10:04, said:

I would say tank performance has far less influence compared to player skill, in seal clubbing.

I have ground crews at low tiers, even 75% ones. My game knowledge still allowed me to outperform newer players. 

The things you mention become more important when skill is more level. 

If I played a golf pro a round of golf, it is not going to be his better golf clubs that will beat me. Heck the pro could play with crap clubs and still beat me. But the quality of the clubs that pro uses, would matter much more, when playing another pro. 

There's some truth to what you say.   I did say part of the issue, after all. I know on those rare occasions I play very low tier, the seal clubbers usually outperform me by noticable margins, while I usually do better than the newbs.  The seal clubbers have better dpm, gun handling, mobility, camo, and VR than I do, plus are more familiar with the meta at baby tiers.

Flarvin #22 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 54848 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Sep 20 2019 - 11:18, said:

There's some truth to what you say.   I did say part of the issue, after all. I know on those rare occasions I play very low tier, the seal clubbers usually outperform me by noticable margins, while I usually do better than the newbs.  The seal clubbers have better dpm, gun handling, mobility, camo, and VR than I do, plus are more familiar with the meta at baby tiers.

Since skill is more level between you and the seal clubbers, those things you mentioned would have more influence. 

Against actual new players, those things make little difference. 

GeorgePreddy #23 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:41

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostFlarvin, on Sep 20 2019 - 12:38, said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. 

Does Hugh Macleod even know anything about wolves? 

Hugh was probably thinking about that mythical human creature, the "Lone Wolf".

He should read this:

'No Man is an Island'

No man is an island entire of itself; every man 
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; 
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe 
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as 
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine 
own were; any man's death diminishes me, 
because I am involved in mankind. 
And therefore never send to know for whom 
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. 

- John Donne

Silence_I_Keeeel_You #24 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 340 battles
  • [TIGR] TIGR

View Post_Kradok_, on Sep 20 2019 - 16:23, said:

Get angry about it and get better.  Then you'll learn you don't have to BE a seal.  You can choose to play smarter.  Sure, your team may get rolled - but you can manage your own enjoyment and stats (if you want).  Use it as motivation to learn and progress.  Seal clubbers have been in the game since the inception.  

TL/DR...  Be a tank, don't be a seal.  You choose your path.

DUH!

Silence_I_Keeeel_You #25 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 340 battles
  • [TIGR] TIGR
Forums are useless.

Pipinghot #26 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostKingRat, on Sep 20 2019 - 10:29, said:

Image result for wolves or a sheep

"Hugh Macleod is an idiot" - Pipinghot

Pipinghot #27 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:55

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postcrasta, on Sep 20 2019 - 10:33, said:

There is seal clubbing at every tier.

No. Seal clubbing is when players with experience and skill play lower tier battles against new and inexperienced players, especially in Tiers I, II & III.

There could be some discussion about whether it's possible to be a seal clubber at Tier IV or V, there are good points on both sides of that question, but there cannot be seal clubbing at Tier VI and above, that's simply playing the game. If a person is playing Tier VI-X before they're ready that's not being seal clubbed, that's just a player being stupid.

I_QQ_4_U #28 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 18:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 23367 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Sep 20 2019 - 17:18, said:

While all that helps knowledge is the biggest factor. I don't play low tiers often, usually when starting new lines, which for the most part I'm done with, and I usually put 50% crews in those tanks with only equipment that I could remove for free. Since you're usually only playing them for a handful of battles I don't feel like spending anything on them. Still, even a that great disadvantage I would usually end up in the top 5 on my team even if bottom tier. Just knowing vision mechanics and map layouts is more than enough to utterly dominate new/bad players. Not to mention the common sense to not just yolo into the open then sit there aiming for 10 seconds while you get obliterated or ram everything in sight even though you're likely going to lose most if not all your HP, it's amazing how many players with 10's of thousands of battles still do those things let alone new ones.

ProfessionalFinn #29 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 26359 battles

Seal-clubbing is a nasty business

Burning_Haggis #30 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 46056 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

View PostFlarvin, on Sep 20 2019 - 09:38, said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. 

Does Hugh Macleod even know anything about wolves? 

Nope, Nothing. 

It's some guy that makes a living doing motivational cartoons for big companies.    You know the ones, they are on every cafeteria wall in silicone valley.   What he says doesn't ever make much sense to anyone with even a little bit of knowledge of the subject, but it seems to make sense to the unenlightened masses. Just a glorified greeting card writer.

Peak_Bagger #31 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 18:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20011 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

View PostSilence_I_Keeeel_You, on Sep 20 2019 - 17:47, said:

Forums are useless.

No, some people simply disagree with your point of view. You started playing this game a year before I did. I've been able to get to Tier 10 on multiple lines in that time. You chose to play sporadically. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but you do need to take responsibility for your game.

Also, gold rounds aren't a problem if you avoid getting hit in the first place. I've been playing light tanks and tanks with little armour for the better part of the last year and don't even notice what type of shells people fire any more. It's irrelevant. Don't rely on your armour.

_Kradok_ #32 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 33379 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

View PostBurning_Haggis, on Sep 20 2019 - 12:18, said:

Nope, Nothing. 

It's some guy that makes a living doing motivational cartoons for big companies.    You know the ones, they are on every cafeteria wall in silicone valley.   What he says doesn't ever make much sense to anyone with even a little bit of knowledge of the subject, but it seems to make sense to the unenlightened masses. Just a glorified greeting card writer.

When I was in the corporate HR world, I'd use the 'demotivator' posters when I could sneak one in.  Dark humor has always been my thing... part of the reason I went solo - so I could be 'me'... 

My favorite one was 

ATTENTION

It's always the tallest blade of grass that gets cut first.

Akrotiri #33 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:07

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11459 battles

View Post_Kradok_, on Sep 20 2019 - 13:18, said:

"Whining cry baby...party of one..... your table is ready"

My grandson would tell you not to bring that weak crap to his playground... you wouldn't last ten minutes.

Thanks for doing your little bit to make this place even more toxic. 

There are a lot of people like you around here.  Using your keyboards while remaining safely anonymous.

Edited by Akrotiri, Sep 20 2019 - 20:18.

Necrophore #34 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:12

Major

• Players
  • 30924 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View PostPipinghot, on Sep 20 2019 - 08:55, said:

No. Seal clubbing is when players with experience and skill play lower tier battles against new and inexperienced players, especially in Tiers I, II & III.

There could be some discussion about whether it's possible to be a seal clubber at Tier IV or V, there are good points on both sides of that question, but there cannot be seal clubbing at Tier VI and above, that's simply playing the game. If a person is playing Tier VI-X before they're ready that's not being seal clubbed, that's just a player being stupid.

I was reported for seal clubbing at tier IX. Some people will always be a seal.

_Kradok_ #35 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 33379 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

View PostAkrotiri, on Sep 20 2019 - 14:07, said:

Thanks for doing your little bit to make this place even more toxic.

I'm confuzzled Mr. Pious,

Was your sarcasm meant to bring MORE toxicity or to show me the error of my ways?  :sceptic:

Silence_I_Keeeel_You #36 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 340 battles
  • [TIGR] TIGR

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Sep 20 2019 - 18:49, said:

No, some people simply disagree with your point of view. You started playing this game a year before I did. I've been able to get to Tier 10 on multiple lines in that time. You chose to play sporadically. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but you do need to take responsibility for your game.

Also, gold rounds aren't a problem if you avoid getting hit in the first place. I've been playing light tanks and tanks with little armour for the better part of the last year and don't even notice what type of shells people fire any more. It's irrelevant. Don't rely on your armour.

And I'm crying foul on the people who would disagree that seal clubbing is in poor taste and unfair to new players who have stock crews.

Have you tried playing tier 2 anytime recently with a 50-75% crew?  No modules & barely enough credits for consumables.

I have a lot of credits on hand actually.  Last christmas I was gifted a lot of boxes all I got was credits and some gold that I have

not used and I thinkI got  that payout for having 3 or 5ys too.  But so many players who are fresh to the game do not have such luxury.

I am not a complete noob to the ways of WoT .  I've watched endless hours of YouTube and QuickBaby and SirHavoc and Klaus.

But watching and playing are separate and apart things.    The view mechanics, shell mechanics, etc do not seem to work like some of the videos I've watched.

Far more variables involved and need a degree in physics and balistic to decipher the in-game workings.  That aside.

Avoiding being hit by gold slinging 20mm machine guns with a 25% dispersion is like walking into a freeway on a moonless night against cars that have

tape over the headlights.  *You're gonna be hit*.

When the tanks are aiming their shots and use a single shot 30-47mm gun the chance of being hit goes up because the gun is better. 

Add a good crew, vents and 3 sklills on the gunner.  And hitting for damage goes up more.

So you cannot avoid being shot at tier 2.   It's a fact of life.

I don't mean shooting gold is even a bad thing.  The M2 light needs to use apcr on it's own kind and tanks like the R35 and H35 which have 40mm of armor all around and the M2 light's machine gun pens 41mm but bounces 7 of 10 shots it fires at it.

That is a situation where gold ammo is required.  My complaint is that people use only gold ammo without care that it's more expensive whether they

need to use it or not.  Combined with multi-skill crews that seal clubbers inherently have and they have an advantage that new players with few battles could

possess without the ability to buy lots and lots of gold and a premium tank to convert xp from.    Honestly if seal clubbers players w/ greater than say 1000 battles in a tank were only allowed to use an unskilled crew that would even solve the whole issue.  It would level the field and give new players at least equal footing.

_Kradok_ #37 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 33379 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

View PostSilence_I_Keeeel_You, on Sep 20 2019 - 14:18, said:

And I'm crying foul on the people who would disagree that seal clubbing is in poor taste and unfair to new players who have stock crews.

Have you tried playing tier 2 anytime recently with a 50-75% crew?  No modules & barely enough credits for consumables.

I have a lot of credits on hand actually.  Last christmas I was gifted a lot of boxes all I got was credits and some gold that I have

not used and I thinkI got  that payout for having 3 or 5ys too.  But so many players who are fresh to the game do not have such luxury.

I am not a complete noob to the ways of WoT .  I've watched endless hours of YouTube and QuickBaby and SirHavoc and Klaus.

But watching and playing are separate and apart things.    The view mechanics, shell mechanics, etc do not seem to work like some of the videos I've watched.

Far more variables involved and need a degree in physics and balistic to decipher the in-game workings.  That aside.

Avoiding being hit by gold slinging 20mm machine guns with a 25% dispersion is like walking into a freeway on a moonless night against cars that have

tape over the headlights.  *You're gonna be hit*.

When the tanks are aiming their shots and use a single shot 30-47mm gun the chance of being hit goes up because the gun is better. 

Add a good crew, vents and 3 sklills on the gunner.  And hitting for damage goes up more.

So you cannot avoid being shot at tier 2.   It's a fact of life.

I don't mean shooting gold is even a bad thing.  The M2 light needs to use apcr on it's own kind and tanks like the R35 and H35 which have 40mm of armor all around and the M2 light's machine gun pens 41mm but bounces 7 of 10 shots it fires at it.

That is a situation where gold ammo is required.  My complaint is that people use only gold ammo without care that it's more expensive whether they

need to use it or not.  Combined with multi-skill crews that seal clubbers inherently have and they have an advantage that new players with few battles could

possess without the ability to buy lots and lots of gold and a premium tank to convert xp from.    Honestly if seal clubbers players w/ greater than say 1000 battles in a tank were only allowed to use an unskilled crew that would even solve the whole issue.  It would level the field and give new players at least equal footing.

Shooting premium rounds at low tiers is a non-factor economically.  You can literally FARM credits in NUMEROUS ways just by playing the game so you can shoot basically ONLY prem ammo if you want to. 

That said, change your mindset - EXPECT premium rounds every time.  Learn how to predict, avoid and when NOT to engage as much as when TO engage.  You can SAY you know WoT - but that really won't take place for a couple of years of SOLID gameplay - in fact you'll pretty-much always learn SOMETHING new.  If not, either you're a Unicom or an idiot.

Edited by _Kradok_, Sep 20 2019 - 20:25.

The_War_Master_2019 #38 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2019 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Sep 20 2019 - 16:17, said:

While I think a possible solution to seal clubbing would be 2 low tier player pools, NA at least doesn't have the population to pull it off.

Unfortunately, can't do anything about clubbing.  It won't impress anyone, it's blatantly obvious, and at the day, they aren't breaking any rules and having fun.  Which is kind of the point of playing games.

Except the clubbing nearly made me quit at the beginning. I couldn't survive against any of them. The game got way better when I got that rental t3485m. That beauty kept me here. 

As for players who aren't so fortunate, clubbing will only drive them away

Zourn #39 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16783 battles
  • [PZMAF] PZMAF
sometimes I seal club, sometimes I'm the seal.... :hiding:

Tolos #40 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 20:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Sep 20 2019 - 15:10, said:

WG caters to players who spend a lot of money. Those guys with a gazilllion battles that have played for years are WG's cash cows. That's why there is seal clubbing.

One of the stupidest comments today. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users