BLOWOUT LOSSES

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

medic1241 #61 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 22:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 100787 battles
  • [7-BDR] 7-BDR
I am not looking for anyone to care. The initial inquiry was asked if anybody else have the amount of blowout losses that I get.

Copacetic #62 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47224 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View Postmedic1241, on Sep 21 2019 - 22:58, said:

I am not looking for anyone to care. The initial inquiry was asked if anybody else have the amount of blowout losses that I get.

well you didn't post any data just a bunch of feelz, so we just can't [edited]tell, got it?

TAR_b #63 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31856 battles
how many alts does PZB2 have?

death_stryker #64 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

No, I do not get as many blowout losses as you do. It seems to me that the number of losses you get in which the score is 5-15 or worse is about the same number of losses I get in which the score is about 9-15 or worse..

Also, your ranking on your team is not a very good measure of your contribution in a battle. If you ask me, I would say that only the top two or sometimes three tanks on the losing side of a blowout are likely to have contributed anything at all. In order to influence the outcome of a battle, a tier 8 usually needs to do >2000 damage, which presumably you rarely did, considering the 1100 average damage per game that you claimed to achieve. 

Pipinghot #65 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:16

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postmedic1241, on Sep 21 2019 - 13:26, said:

I have been experiencing an over abundance of blowout losses for about the past 12 months now. I realize what "random" means but I feel that I am getting way more than my share.

So the first thing you need to understand is that this is not true, your thinking and your memory are being attacked by confirmation bias which causes a wide variety of bad thinking and bad conclusions. If you're not familiar with the concept of confirmation bias this is a good time to read up on it. This is not intended to make you feel bad, anyone can be attacked by confirmation bias including super-smart people.

This is why we have tools to help us see the truth, tools like statistics and data analysis, for example, because it's incredibly easy to get an idea stuck in your head and then everything starts to feel like it supports that idea. If you were to collect the data from your 12 months I guarantee that you would find you had the same percentage of blowout battles as anyone else in the game. No matter how it feels today, or this week, or a month from now, the objective reality is that blowouts are equally common for everyone ( with the caveat that blowouts increase slightly as you move up in the tiers, as already pointed out by Neatoman ).

The first thing you need to do, and you really need to do it, is to figure out how you can beat confirmation bias and make this false idea go away. And make no mistake, it's not easy. Confirmation bias is sneaky, it hides in the corners of your mind ready to trick you. "See, you had three blowouts in one day, the game is being unfair to you!", that sort of garbage. You have to be on guard against being tricked by it.

When you track one day, or even one week, you can come up with numbers that seem unusual, but if you track every battle for a month I assure you that you will see they are not happening as often as you feel like they're happening. There are times in life when you should trust your feelings, this is not one of them. This is one of the times when you need to ignore what your gut is telling you and use real information, real data, to show you what's actually happening.

View Postmedic1241, on Sep 21 2019 - 13:26, said:

I do not expect to win all matches nor do I expect to be constantly blown out either.

Something that may help you is to understand that blowouts are to be expected, that is just normal game play in a single-death-per-battle game. In games with respawn battles, even when the score is a blowout, people can fool themselves into thinking that it wasn't a blowout because they got to keep respawning and fighting no matter how badly they were losing, but that illusion doesn't exist in WoT. This is how it works in every single-death game, blowouts are common, and specifically they are more common than most people feel like they should be. Whatever your feelings are about how many blowout battles you should experience overall, you're feelings are tricking you because you should expect blowouts to be common in single-death games.

Pipinghot #66 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:25

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postmedic1241, on Sep 21 2019 - 14:02, said:

As for blowout wins, I rarely see those.

Yes you do but, again because of confirmation bias, you're not remembering them as much. You remember blowouts on losses more than wins because losses affect you more, you blame the blowouts when really that's not what's causing the losses.

The blowout losses out weigh the blowout wins at least 10-1 if not more.

Absolutely false, you really need to read up on confirmation bias, this is truly poisoning your thinking.

I have been told that once you reach a certain amount of games played they use some type of bias against your account.

Whoever told you that is an idiot, you'll never make any progress listening to idiots like that.

JayStark02 #67 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 23:48

• 5187 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
Closing thread due non-constructive posts and insults

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users