• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 15:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 33373 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Howdy Tankers,

Let me start off by saying the new racing game is awesome.  It looks great, is easy to understand, and fun.  However, I'm not a racer.  I don't do well in racing games and I don't own any racing games.  In my races today, my matchmaking was typical for me as I was given fellow tankers who also are not good at racing (or shooting for that matter).  I have never had a feel for driving in a game and tend to spin out often.  Younger players love this kind of stuff so I applaud Wargaming for introducing it - and I'm sure the timing with Twitchcon was well planned.

For those of you who love racing, I hope this is all you ever wanted it to be.  I wasn't here for the first racing games, but I can see why people liked them. It's just not my cup of tea.  Probably cuz I'm old, or just not coordinated enough.  Either way, I've had my 5 games and now I'm done.  I just hope my Russian dude wins the overall so I get something out of it.

Best of luck to all of you who venture onto the racetrack!

__WarChild__

tod914 #2 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 64894 battles
Auto-aim is your friend.  My coordination isn't up to speed either.  Fun mode to break up the drudgery of pub matches :) 

__WarChild__ #3 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 15:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 33373 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View Posttod914, on Sep 23 2019 - 08:20, said:

Auto-aim is your friend.  My coordination isn't up to speed either.  Fun mode to break up the drudgery of pub matches :) 

Yes, I learned in my first match that auto-aim is my friend.  But losing all 5 battles and doing better than my team makes it less fun for me.  My matchmaking is bad enough in-game, so I'll just stick with that.  Enjoy the track!

_Ayreon_ #4 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 15:43

Captain

• Players
  • 53165 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

I find it easy, given the fact I've beaten Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2, coming to Masters and Elite :trollface:

But team mates are another story, they are often clueless... And enemies focusing me when I'm stuck with 2 players with sub 45% WR and sub 3k PR = guaranteed loss.

Overall, I'd say it's fun and I will play it each day as much as needed to complete all the mission to get the extra tickets for those camo styles in the store.

And I also hope the Russian dude wins, or at least gets 2nd place lol

sybredeth #5 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 15:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 82040 battles
  • [TBIRD] TBIRD
I honestly didn't believe WG could mess up a race game...but they managed to do so.

It's not a race...it's a lopsided flag cap.  If you get there first you are most likely to be killed first.

Then at the end you're lucky if the client doesn't freeze.

I am simply amazed and flabbergasted they were actually able to mess up a race game.  Unbelievable.

Redcoat #6 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:04

Captain

• Players
  • 67516 battles

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MODE!!!

I loved it when we had it in 2014 and I'm in love with it again... it's just SOOO much fun to have to do both the driving and drifting and manage the gun handling and shooting all at the same time... reminds me of driving wheelies in randoms, but with a few added cool touches... anyone who loves Mario Kart is gonna have a blast with this!

and I'm an old retired bastard  with the reflexes of an old retired bastard... but I do love racing games...

That being said, if early returns are anything to go by, and in keeping with my historically terrible taste in team selection, it looks as though I've once again picked the team that will wind up dead last in the standings...

Garandster #7 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6134 battles
It is super team dependent. I've had several races that while I made it to the end, the other players on my team where no where close and it quickly became a you're dead 3v1 at cap. I've also had races where we capped out before the enemy ever reached the cap.

goldfinger_555 #8 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:28

Captain

• Players
  • 27717 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
Thought  I read you needed at least 20 games to qualify for the "dude" prizes.....I really enjoyed the 2014 races. Was a nice change of pace. For me the awards makes a big difference.

HOTA_CHATON #9 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:36

Major

• Players
  • 13588 battles
  • [MSG] MSG
Not a mode worth my time and trouble either.  I may try it but I seriously doubt it, especially since it's already plagued with issues, right from the start.  Nice job guys, nice job.

heavymetal1967 #10 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:40

Major

• Players
  • 73163 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Agree with WC and Tod too.   Not exactly my cup of tea, but it seems like a nice set up for those folks that will like it.  And auto-aim is definitely your friend.

The repair points near the end pretty much negates lowering enemies HP before they get to cap a viable TEAM strat.  Sure it's good for individual rewards, but from a win the match standpoint it seems keeping your foot on the gas and spamming the 4 key when appropriate and getting to cap is more conducive to a win.

Daily missions seem comparatively easy albeit team dependent, so that's a bit of a mixed bag. 

I'll clear or try to, depending on teams and frustration, clear the missions each day and that's about it.

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 73163 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostHOTA_CHATON, on Sep 23 2019 - 11:36, said:

Not a mode worth my time and trouble either.  I may try it but I seriously doubt it, especially since it's already plagued with issues, right from the start.  Nice job guys, nice job.

Sahm Lockhart just posted a thread with a mod fixing the after battle crash if that's what you're referencing.

*Knock on wood*  I haven't had any issues including that and I don't run vanilla.

Sherman_Panzer #12 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 103576 battles
  • [ROTS] ROTS

Count me in the "Not for Me" category.

5 races in,

• all 5 had 1 bot/non starter,
  • 4 of those games they were on my team
  • 1 game I was the only player on my team to move

So 3:30 minutes each, outcome already determined off the line. Games should be fun, these were not.

heavymetal1967 #13 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 73163 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Postsybredeth, on Sep 23 2019 - 10:44, said:

I honestly didn't believe WG could mess up a race game...but they managed to do so.

It's not a race...it's a lopsided flag cap.  If you get there first you are most likely to be killed first.

I am simply amazed and flabbergasted they were actually able to mess up a race game.  Unbelievable.

View PostGarandster, on Sep 23 2019 - 11:26, said:

It is super team dependent. I've had several races that while I made it to the end, the other players on my team where no where close and it quickly became a you're dead 3v1 at cap. I've also had races where we capped out before the enemy ever reached the cap.

The team dependency and small three to a team is the big downer for this mode imo.  Three makes it hard to water down the bad, so to speak.

Don't get me wrong it's not for me even if this wasn't an issue, but that's a personal/age thing.  Partly based on taste, partly on hand/eye. :P

With all the frustration over win requirements in missions that they hear ad nauseam one would think they'd get it or give an iota.   But they're missing one or both.

Hopefully folks will figure it out, but considering a sizeable portion of this server's playerbase I ain't holding my breath.

_Ayreon_ #14 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 17:58

Captain

• Players
  • 53165 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
Well, the Russian guy is last and looks like it may remain that way. :/ 

Gothraul #15 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 20:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles

This mode isn't bad but it does take a bit of time to get used handling wise, just be mindful the chaffee loves to drift when people are not expecting it.

After all these years this still looks great.

goldfinger_555 #16 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 21:07

Captain

• Players
  • 27717 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

View Post_Ayreon_, on Sep 23 2019 - 16:58, said:

Well, the Russian guy is last and looks like it may remain that way. :/

Ya I picked him too based on Russian game. Oh well we get something for 3rd that we wouldn't of had if we didn't register so I'm fine with it.

Cole_with_a_Bowl_RIPT502 #17 Posted Sep 23 2019 - 22:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 21308 battles

View Postsybredeth, on Sep 23 2019 - 14:44, said:

I completely agree with you. The race part is completely pointless. I dont bother trying to shoot enemies over the walls that are too tall while at the same time playing bumper tanks with your team.

I was so excited for this game mode. After playing two games i decided that was enough. Its not worth any rewards they want to give out.

Im sure they will screw up the soccer game again when it comes back. It was perfect the first time which means they had to change it. Go back the the T62As.

goldfinger_555 #18 Posted Sep 24 2019 - 04:53

Captain

• Players
  • 27717 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

View PostCole_with_a_Bowl_RIPT502, on Sep 23 2019 - 21:44, said:

I completely agree with you. The race part is completely pointless. I dont bother trying to shoot enemies over the walls that are too tall while at the same time playing bumper tanks with your team.

I was so excited for this game mode. After playing two games i decided that was enough. Its not worth any rewards they want to give out.

Im sure they will screw up the soccer game again when it comes back. It was perfect the first time which means they had to change it. Go back the the T62As.

Actually the race part is very important. Not only do you get back part of your HP lost for getting to the cap circle 1st but more importantly you can hide on cap if your lead is big enough and cap out without firing a shot on cap. I've done it a few times. Works really well if the 2nd tank to reach cap is on your team too.....And for getting to cap 1st you get 5 points no matter what happens.

__WarChild__ #19 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 03:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 33373 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
I've done a couple races lately with good teams (young kids) and we've done well.  It's fun if your team can carry you. :great:

buckschott #20 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 23:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19635 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

I'm a big Need For Speed and Grand Turismo fan and have to say that this mode has a similar feel.  If they made this mode a stand alone game with more tracks and tanks I would play it exclusively. 

Well done Wargaming.

Also tagged with The Great Race

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users