Jump to content


rental scam


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

SpyderRyder #1 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 00:09

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

used the patriot 8 level rental today -- now I see how WOT sucks you in -- all 10 games had a max of 8 level only -- went and bought the e5 American 8 level heavy premium -- nest 5 games all 10 level -- typical money grab -- I was pretty sure this is the way WOT makes you think your buying a competitive tank -- this was an experiment -- looks like it proved I was right

 



JakeTheMystic #2 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 00:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 25000 battles
  • 2,901
  • [OPIC] OPIC
  • Member since:
    12-30-2011
Sure, because a sample size of "20" games counts as an "experiment" 

24_inch_pythons #3 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 00:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 30295 battles
  • 5,732
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    03-28-2012

View PostSpyderRyder, on Sep 24 2019 - 17:09, said:

used the patriot 8 level rental today -- now I see how WOT sucks you in -- all 10 games had a max of 8 level only -- went and bought the e5 American 8 level heavy premium -- nest 5 games all 10 level -- typical money grab -- I was pretty sure this is the way WOT makes you think your buying a competitive tank -- this was an experiment -- looks like it proved I was right

 


Patriot is one of the very best premium tanks you can buy. Who cares if you got some tier X games, you still bought one of the very best premium tanks available.



Markd73 #4 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 00:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 32795 battles
  • 5,497
  • Member since:
    04-20-2011

View PostSpyderRyder, on Sep 24 2019 - 23:09, said:

used the patriot 8 level rental today -- now I see how WOT sucks you in -- all 10 games had a max of 8 level only -- went and bought the e5 American 8 level heavy premium -- nest 5 games all 10 level -- typical money grab -- I was pretty sure this is the way WOT makes you think your buying a competitive tank -- this was an experiment -- looks like it proved I was right

 

 

So you were expecting a predominance of top tier going forward?

 

Caveat Emptor.

 

Btw - your sample size is statistically irrelevant. Track top/mid/bottom tier numbers after a minimum of 100+ games. Preferably more.



Bolted_On #5 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 00:47

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 64283 battles
  • 857
  • [SFL] SFL
  • Member since:
    09-03-2012

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Sep 24 2019 - 23:21, said:

Sure, because a sample size of "20" games counts as an "experiment" 

 

LOL, you really ARE clueless, aren't you ?   :facepalm:



FrontenacDuVandoo #6 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 01:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 17530 battles
  • 1,091
  • [BBI2] BBI2
  • Member since:
    06-16-2017

View PostMarkd73, on Sep 24 2019 - 18:38, said:

 

So you were expecting a predominance of top tier going forward?

 

Caveat Emptor.

 

Btw - your sample size is statistically irrelevant. Track top/mid/bottom tier numbers after a minimum of 100+ games. Preferably more.

And you should track the tier distribution in your first 10 games vs the next 90 games in a premium tank.

This is what's being discussed here, not the overall spread.

 

There seems to be a "honeymoon phase" when you get a new premium. A few community ccontributors have noted this when they get a new premium, and they get a lot of them.



SpyderRyder #7 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 15:28

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Sep 24 2019 - 23:21, said:

Sure, because a sample size of "20" games counts as an "experiment" 


point is newer players get sucked in hoping to get a tank under false pretenses -- and it was 15 games Einstein not 20 -- math 101 is calling you 



SpyderRyder #8 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 15:30

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Sep 24 2019 - 23:27, said:


Patriot is one of the very best premium tanks you can buy. Who cares if you got some tier X games, you still bought one of the very best premium tanks available.


this was not about how the tank performed -- try reading again 



SpyderRyder #9 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 15:33

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011
just another mis-read -- its not about the overall tier after 100 games -- its about the rental tier  and how WOT sets a noob up with false expectations -- try reading before you troll 

dunniteowl #10 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 17:09

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,401
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

First of all, WG is a business, not a game.  It MARKETS a game.  That is its product.

 

So, that they 'suck you in' for ANYTHING should be a given.  It's how they make money.  It's called Capitalism 101.

 

There is this kind of boilerplate on the front page of WG:

In the Coupon section of Combat Intelligence (itself an oxymoron when it really is nothing more than MARKETING -- there's that word again) it says this:

 

"Don't get discouraged -- Get even!

 

Use this coupon for something snazzy in our Premium Shop.  Up your game and give 'em Hell!"

 

 

There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that they imply very clearly that getting a premium tank will make you More Stronker automatically, when no such thing is actually true.

 

You can spot this any time that something for money is being offered and if you cannot spot that you are the mark and they are the Pit Boss, then you will be constantly fleeced by those that market with words of honeyed wine and sweet confections for those that purvey their wares -- when it's vinegary wine and stale doughnuts.

 

Caveat Emptor means: Let the Buyer BEWARE

 

Don't be a Sucker and always view marketing hype as what it is: Honeyed words to get you to part with cash.  If you take your time and do due diligence, then you should never be taken in more than once or twice in any serious operation over time.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

 

(Never spent a penny yet on this game, so thanks for supporting my queue position)



Markd73 #11 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 17:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 32795 battles
  • 5,497
  • Member since:
    04-20-2011

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Sep 25 2019 - 00:43, said:

And you should track the tier distribution in your first 10 games vs the next 90 games in a premium tank.

 

Agreed, but you should only draw conclusions on the actual tier spread on the larger sample size. Doing anything else is a case of drawing incorrect conclusions based on using statistically irrelevant sample sizes. Thus Caveat Emptor.

 

This is what's being discussed here, not the overall spread.

 

They both matter. One is relevant and one is not.

 

There seems to be a "honeymoon phase" when you get a new premium. A few community ccontributors have noted this when they get a new premium, and they get a lot of them.

 

Anecdotally I would agree on the honeymoon phase.

 

 


Edited by Markd73, Sep 25 2019 - 19:05.


Markd73 #12 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 17:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 32795 battles
  • 5,497
  • Member since:
    04-20-2011

View PostSpyderRyder, on Sep 25 2019 - 14:33, said:

just another mis-read -- its not about the overall tier after 100 games -- its about the rental tier  and how WOT sets a noob up with false expectations -- try reading before you troll 

 

Sure it is. 10 games is statistically irrelevant and it will lead you to the incorrect conclusions, regardless of whether WG is actually giving better mm in the first 10 games or not. Either way 10 games is not enough to be valid.

 

Caveat Emptor



_Tsavo_ #13 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 17:55

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 46490 battles
  • 19,868
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

View PostSpyderRyder, on Sep 25 2019 - 09:30, said:


this was not about how the tank performed -- try reading again 


So, what says that it's rigged for you to get 10 top tier games?  I've had days in my non pref 8s where I don't see tens and days where I'll see nothing but 9s and 10s. 



SpyderRyder #14 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 19:00

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011
I agree that 10 games isn't a true reading -- but 10 games was all that was available for this tank in rental form -- after the purchase the next 5 games went either tier 9 high or tier 10 high -- I should have (for the record)went another 5 games  but I preferred not to play anymore blowout games -- not one of the 5 was a max tier 8 game -- but then -- toss a coin in the air and guess how many times it comes up heads -- that's all I'm saying  -- and I agree -- this is a business and this is a way to get money -- this is what happened -- it wasn't personal from WOT singling me out -- its the way it works -- enjoy your game 

dunniteowl #15 Posted Sep 25 2019 - 19:41

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,401
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

I wouldn't put it past them to code a 10 game Preferred Match Making attached to the Rentals and not the Purchase.

 

I'm thinking that's totally doable.

 

 

Do they do it?  No idea.  I find that all the tanks I play have their ups and downs and I simply do not attribute that to WG doing anything 'hinky.'  That said, I am in no real position to say one way or the other, either by experience or inside information when it comes to Premium "Rental" units.  It could be that they do provide Preferred MM for the Rentals and don't say anything.  Sort of like saying those tinted windows on THIS model are 'standard' and when you buy the other one on the floor a model down (say XLT to LT, or SVE to SE) and you find that tinting doesn't come on this vehicle.  Just doesn't.

 

It could be like that.  It would be a marketing thing and the ONE thing that prevented me from going into marketing (I'm good with words, after all) was that I hated the idea that I would be basically lying through my teeth, making crap up to fool people into buying something they probably didn't need, want or benefit from in any way.  I don't want folks doing that to me, so I couldn't be in a position to purposely do that to others.  Damn the idea of having ethics!  I could'a been a contendah.

 

 

OvO



BigJohnsonLogan #16 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 23:11

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 34709 battles
  • 218
  • Member since:
    06-21-2013

Unless a Tier 8 Premium Tank has a preferential Matchmaker, it can see Tier 10 Tanks.

There is something called the 3/5/7 matchmaker which refers to number of matches as top tier, middle tier and bottom tier a tank will get in 15 matches.

 

These tanks have preferential, the rest do not.

 

- USSR/Soviet Russian IS-6, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- USSR/Soviet Russian KV-5, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- USA/American T26E4 SuperPershing, Tier 8 Premium Medium Tank
- China/Chinese Type 59, Tier 8 Premium Medium Tank
- China/Chinese T-34-3, Tier 8 Premium Medium Tank
- China/Chinese 112, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- China/Chinese WZ-111 Alpine Tiger, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- USA/American M6A2E1, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- France/French FCM 50t, Tier 8 Premium Heavy Tank
- German/Germany JagdTiger 8.8, Tier 8 Premium Tank Destroyer

 

 



dunniteowl #17 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 23:27

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,401
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

3/5/7 does NOT refer to the different tiers you will be in across 15 matches.

 

3 top tier

5 mid tier

7 bottom tier

 

Vehicles in a template for a team.  It's a MM Template that determines the number of different tier vehicles in the match.  3/5/7,  5/10,  2/4/9 and Single Tier I have seen during matches.  I have even seen a 7/8 set of matches.

 

NOT the Tiers You WIll Be In.  The tier Spread and number in each battle tier is what that 3/5/7 is.

 

 

JFYI

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO



Volcanic_lobster_220 #18 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 23:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 8682 battles
  • 1,044
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
  • Member since:
    06-04-2016

I don't know what the "First ten games in premium tank" conspiracy is, the only thing i know about MM is that your first game in a new tank will never be bottom tier. (unless you're in the que for longer than a minute)

 

Matchmaking is random not rigged, -though it sure does feel like it sometimes, but it's not- somedays you'll see tier 8's and no Tier 10's, sometimes you'll see a LOT of Tier 10's, 



SpyderRyder #19 Posted Sep 27 2019 - 04:07

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

View PostVolcanic_lobster_220, on Sep 26 2019 - 22:43, said:

I don't know what the "First ten games in premium tank" conspiracy is, the only thing i know about MM is that your first game in a new tank will never be bottom tier. (unless you're in the que for longer than a minute)

 

Matchmaking is random not rigged, -though it sure does feel like it sometimes, but it's not- somedays you'll see tier 8's and no Tier 10's, sometimes you'll see a LOT of Tier 10's, 


look -- I know the game thank you -- the point is the first 10 games with the 8 level premium never met any level higher until the tank was purchased -- coincidence ?  I think not !I the next 5 games were all level10 -- 



SpyderRyder #20 Posted Sep 27 2019 - 04:09

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 55222 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

View Postdunniteowl, on Sep 26 2019 - 22:27, said:

3/5/7 does NOT refer to the different tiers you will be in across 15 matches.

 

3 top tier

5 mid tier

7 bottom tier

 

Vehicles in a template for a team.  It's a MM Template that determines the number of different tier vehicles in the match.  3/5/7,  5/10,  2/4/9 and Single Tier I have seen during matches.  I have even seen a 7/8 set of matches.

 

NOT the Tiers You WIll Be In.  The tier Spread and number in each battle tier is what that 3/5/7 is.

 

 

JFYI

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO


as usual -- the point is missed  -- I know how the game is played -- this was just an observation -- and I don't believe in coincidences 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users