create a new Replay system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

thegreat101 #1 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 05:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30736 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-
So everytime WG send out a micro patch, the old replays are garbage and i cant review them without a hassle of "reinstalling the last patch". and due to the constant bugs sent out in EVERY update WG sends out... we get like a micro patch every 2 days.... so because of this can you guys fix your replays so we can review them EVEN WITH new updates!

venom286 #2 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 05:52

Captain

• Players
  • 43471 battles
that would be kind of neat i have had a god like game i would like to see but i cant get it to work 

dunniteowl #3 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 05:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I'd like a completely separate application in which to run replays.  If that could be done, then the replay review application could be updated such that it should be able to handle ALL replays no matter which rev level to a certain point and might even be made to run them all.

Maybe it's time to change the replay recording system to something more 

A) User Friendly

B) Able to Run without invoking the game client

C) Modern

D) Capable of Playing them ALL

Just a thought I keep tossing out there in each of these kinds of threads when I can.

OvO

thegreat101 #4 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 06:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30736 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-

View Postdunniteowl, on Sep 26 2019 - 05:52, said:

I'd like a completely separate application in which to run replays.  If that could be done, then the replay review application could be updated such that it should be able to handle ALL replays no matter which rev level to a certain point and might even be made to run them all.

A) User Friendly

C) Modern

Just a thought I keep tossing out there in each of these kinds of threads when I can.

OvO

i love the idea,like before i didnt mind the current replay system, but with all the micro patches, i cant stand it... its anoying me

Ndtm #5 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 06:07

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Sep 26 2019 - 05:52, said:

A) User Friendly

C) Modern

OvO

At that point you might as well just record as mp4 or something, while certainly it hasn't had any improvements in a long time the replays are only as small as they are because they contain instructions for the game engine to recreate, what is the point of having two different applications using the same game engine, and even if they went at it from scratch the problem of map changes, model changes (or even tanks removed) would still be there and if you wanted it to work despite that you'd either 1: store all versions of map/model data and use the ones appropriate for the replay.. ugh.. unnecessary bloat.. or 2: record it(video)-- but if that's the case then you can already do it and they don't have to change anything.

But certainly, replays didn't use to break on every micropatch so that's something they could at least look into

dunniteowl #6 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 06:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostNdtm, on Sep 25 2019 - 23:07, said:

At that point you might as well just record as mp4 or something, while certainly it hasn't had any improvements in a long time the replays are only as small as they are because they contain instructions for the game engine to recreate, what is the point of having two different applications using the same game engine, and even if they went at it from scratch the problem of map changes, model changes (or even tanks removed) would still be there and if you wanted it to work despite that you'd either 1: store all versions of map/model data and use the ones appropriate for the replay.. ugh.. unnecessary bloat.. or 2: record it(video)-- but if that's the case then you can already do it and they don't have to change anything.

But certainly, replays didn't use to break on every micropatch so that's something they could at least look into

Because why should I have to invoke the game client to run a Replay?  WHY?  There's got to be a better way and file sizes can be compressed in all manner of methods that are still quite usable without having to run the game to do it.  Other gaming systems have somehow managed it.

And as the game engine changes, killing ANY utility of those replays as they are, they are purposely forcing a data loss in effect for later review short of running Fraps or some other outside program to record it that way instead -- which as I'm sure you know, sort of defeats the purpose of having the replays if they become useless after a minor rev change update.  Sort of a 'smoke 'em if you got 'em' kind of mentality.

I get they take up a tiny amount of space so that the client gets to run it.  In some ways, yes that's code efficient, but it's not user efficient and the system, if it's going to provide the users such devices, must remain relevant as far as the player is concerned to be useful.

I don't think WG was lazy or anything like that.  I DO think, however, it's time they upped their game a bit as far as replays go and maybe see if there's something they can do, like even maybe add some bits here and there with the current replay system to allow older revs to play as replays with an 'archived' set of instructions that match the revs.  Even THAT should be possible without serious overhead.

All I'm asking WG is to think it over and consider that it might be time to make that sort of change, too.

OvO

Troa_Barton #7 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 14:04

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4229 battles
  • [CHMC] CHMC
This really messes with content creators, would really appreciate this change along with advanced camera controls.

GWyatt #8 Posted Sep 26 2019 - 14:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4171 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostNdtm, on Sep 26 2019 - 00:07, said:

As nice as it would be to be able to do what you are asking, the above quote is why it would be difficult to do so. The replay file is entirely dependent on the particular version of the game engine it was recorded with, that is why it must evoke the game client to run. To do what you are asking would require that the map and game engine be stored somewhere and downloaded on to your machine for each replay or copies of the game engine and maps be stored on your machine with each update to be used for replays.

The only other way I can think of, that would retain the functionality of replays (as opposed to just a video recording), would be to run the replay on their server and their server would keep every map/game engine version available to the replays. That is, you would have to run the replay in a remote window off the server. This would of course increase the load on the servers or require a separate replay server. Could they do this, likely, but like anything else, there would be cost involved.

Not every micro patch breaks the replay. It's been a while, but I have ignored the warning and run replays anyway. Sometimes they work okay or have minor glitching, sometimes they don't work at all.

As a side note, I suspect the ability to watch and interact with replays of your battle is also a reason why if would be technically difficult to add dynamic map elements. Such as, randomly spawning bushes, rocks, buildings, or random cap circle locations on a map. All those randomly occurring map elements would have to be stored in the replay file with their hitboxes, etc. 

One other thing I just thought of, many of the micro patches come out to fix a problem/bug in the game. To replay your battle, exactly as it occurred, using the current game system version, they would have to leave the bug in the engine and turn the bug on for your replay, then turn the bug off so it would not affect your current game play. I just don't see them doing that.

Edited by GWyatt, Sep 26 2019 - 14:25.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users