what is WG thinking

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

piledriveryatyas #101 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 15:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 28752 battles

View PostBavor, on Sep 29 2019 - 21:21, said:

The players who earned the tanks through the clan wars campaigns should be awarded another set of special camo for their reward tanks to distinguish themself from the players who bought them.  The players who buy the reward tanks with bonds should receive a permanent non removable camo that shows the tank was bought with bonds and/or those tanks sold for bonds should have a different tank model designation in game.  Instead of M60 it should be M60BOND or or M60$$$ or something else like that.

I've noticed the people who make the most snide remarks and say the most negative things about people who earned the tanks in clan wars are the people who don't have the individual skills and team play skills to earn a clan wars reward tank.

This attitude of everyone should get a participation trophy hurts the game.  It makes players who earned the tanks quit playing or quit spending money on the game.  I know some players who quit spending money on the game after the M6 Mutant was sold again and others who quit playing the game at that time. Other players I know said they are going to stop spending money on the game if clan wars reward tanks are actually sold for bonds.  The Stanley Cup isn't handed out to every high school hockey player who wants it and superbowl rings aren't handed out to every high school football player who wants one.  Why should rewards for both individual and team skilled play be handed out for such a low price to everyone who wants it?  If Wargaming is going to sell clan wars reward tanks for bonds, make players put in the time and effort of clan wars seasons and campaigns to earn them.  Make the reward tanks cost 25,000-30,000 bonds.

Your logic is flawed and is now just a rehash of what everyone else keeps saying. Participation trophy? Stanley Cup? When you win the Stanley Cup you don't get first round draft pick every year, or a clone of the best player in the team, which is akin to what getting a t10 reward tank is. It's the tool used for playing hockey and tanks respectively - that's an apple to apple comparison. If you want a "trophy" for playing CW, then you should get a neato badge next to your name for your epeen, or a CW only camo. That's a trophy. Not a tank. That's literally what playing the game is about. Until you see a hockey team hitting in goals with their Stanley Cup, your analogy is off.

And whether it hurts the game or not is debatable (only WG knows for sure), but one thing isn't debatable - it's been a key component of the game economy since its inception. You don't have to have a tier 8 even researched to go buy one in the premium shop. Hell, it's even possible (though highly unlikely) to get the personal mission reward tanks without ever owning a tier 10. So the precedent has already been set. Nothing is sacred to WG. If they had been disciplined about any of the other stuff, I would be inclined to agree with you. But they haven't. 

piledriveryatyas #102 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 15:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 28752 battles

View PostTrauglodyte, on Sep 30 2019 - 05:34, said:

My only question, about this concept, is how does this drive revenue?  Everything about this game is about adding to the bottom line, for WG.  Short of them offering bonds for $$$, the only monetary driver that I see is that this "PERHAPS" helps to increase current player longevity, since it would give them another carrot on a stick.

Every currency, gold, silver, xp, bonds, reserves, etc, has some form of value to it. For example, to get bonds you play tier 10s and events. Tier 10s are typically a money losing tier, or at best not a good money making one, which encourages folks to have a premium account or use reserves. The goal, for WG, is to get players to use those things so that they will be encouraged to keep the cycle going. So, in this instance, if they offer rare tanks for bonds, I'm now encouraged to play my tier 10s more (I rarely play them at all), will play frontline more (I skipped the first 3 seasons due to the time suck, until they introduced the new frontline reserve system), use my frontline reserves, which means I have to play the missions to get the frontline reserves and/or buy the frontline reserves which are sold for gold. So just by introducing this, I am burning through my other forms of game currency/economy, which keeps the players moving forward for WG, and spending money.

Of course, some folks will be happy to brag about how they never did any of that and don't/won't spend a penny. Those are the folks that don't place the same value on time as the rest of us. Time is money to me, and I'm happy to pay a little bit to avoid twice as long grinds.

Edited by piledriveryatyas, Sep 30 2019 - 19:15.

Trauglodyte #103 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 15:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 23747 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostKliphie, on Sep 30 2019 - 14:46, said:

Increasing tier 10 play to farm bonds

Which would invariably drive premium accounts, due to the credit loss.  I guess that is it.

Darkbee2Bee #104 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 19:40

Major

• Players
  • 36484 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

All along I've said to myself that there is no technical difficulty in introducing tanks into the bond shop.  To me that is just pure BS on the part of WG.  The difficulty is: [bond] prices and what tanks.  I'm sure they've done this to gauge the crapstorm; both to see what people are willing to pay and to see how CW players are going to react to selling CW reward tanks.

I think the bond prices are reasonable.  I understand the frustration with releasing tanks that were only meant to be for a select few, but this wouldn't be the first time WG has done this.  I don't need to have CW reward tanks.  I just want WG to have some novel choices, unique to the bond shop that can't be obtained (easily?) elsewhere.

gideon_an #105 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 20:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30351 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostTrauglodyte, on Sep 30 2019 - 09:34, said:

My only question, about this concept, is how does this drive revenue?  Everything about this game is about adding to the bottom line, for WG.  Short of them offering bonds for $$$, the only monetary driver that I see is that this "PERHAPS" helps to increase current player longevity, since it would give them another carrot on a stick.

I see several plusses to Wargaming doing this.

1: Promotes the buying of premium to get to and grind those tier 10s once you unlock them.
2: The 2 shown are not meta or overpowered in any way.
3: It gives non CW players something to grind bonds for. I have about 20K saved from never spending them.
4: Tank Collectors want those tanks and many don't play Clan Wars.

So (1) gets them more money. (2) shows that it won't break the meta with an influx of M60s VS lets say a broken Cheiftain. (3/4) A reason for non CW player to play more actively to get bonds.

And lets be fair here. Lets say everyone and their dog buys the M60. They will still die horribly to an Object 268 4 or a Death Star. The sky is not falling.

Runcible #106 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 21:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 32486 battles

View PostBavor, on Sep 30 2019 - 06:00, said:

15K bonds is very cheap for a clan wars reward tank.  It cost the players who spent many hours of their time in a campaign and many hours of their time leading up to a campaign 4,000 bonds after they earned the tank in the campaign.  So, players who get the tank for 15,000 bonds are only paying 11,000 bonds more than the players who earned the tank.  For the amount of time and effort that many players put into earning a campaign reward tank, I'd be happier with a 25,000-30,000 bonds price for the clan wars reward tanks for sale in game.

Do you have any clue how long it takes for your average FTP player to aquire 15,000 bonds?

"Earning" a tank,you say? Whats your definition of earning?

Ive been playing on a regular basis since bonds were introduced.like most ftp types,i have a couple of tier 10's unlocked,but havn't purchsed them,due to tier 10 economics.

I just crossed the 9k bond threshhold. Think about that.

Think about what it will take for a normal ftp player,even a very good one,to aquire 15k bonds without clan wars play...or even a premium account.it will take years of grinding.

Your precious elite,golden baubles are safe from our grubby pub hands.what should be done is ansure that cw reward tanks are only played in cw games...not pubs.

Problem solved...

gideon_an #107 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 22:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30351 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostRuncible, on Sep 30 2019 - 16:33, said:

Do you have any clue how long it takes for your average FTP player to aquire 15,000 bonds?

"Earning" a tank,you say? Whats your definition of earning?

Ive been playing on a regular basis since bonds were introduced.like most ftp types,i have a couple of tier 10's unlocked,but havn't purchsed them,due to tier 10 economics.

I just crossed the 9k bond threshhold. Think about that.

Think about what it will take for a normal ftp player,even a very good one,to aquire 15k bonds without clan wars play...or even a premium account.it will take years of grinding.

Your precious elite,golden baubles are safe from our grubby pub hands.what should be done is ansure that cw reward tanks are only played in cw games...not pubs.

Problem solved...

I have 20K bonds. I play premium but I avoid 10s because of the economy involved. My last huge bonds earning were Steel Hunter and Tier 5 of Frontline for about 4K and 1K respectively. And I had to grind 25 levels of Steel Hunter which wasn't enjoyable. After that is saving and grinding and not having these improved equipment pieces other CW players have. So to be honest I put in the time and effort and in some cases sacrifice to get my 20K.

A CW player just has to play 5 games and get to bid on a tank which can easily be afforded by 15K.

I don't see the pearl clutching. M60s are rarely played. Either the players that got them left or the players that have them don't think they are worth playing. Either way no big deal if non CW players get one. And the argument that I somehow put in less effort then a CW player is just straight up garbage. I just don't play CW skirmishes. I grind the same content as everyone else.

nuclearguy931 #108 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 82535 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

Thank you Wargaming:

1Scots #109 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 22:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14217 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

1: Promotes the buying of premium to get to and grind those tier 10s once you unlock them.
&
4: Tank Collectors want those tanks and many don't play Clan Wars.

Worked on me. I have 5k bonds and calculated that 3 months premium time collecting 25 bonds per day plus a bit of tier 10 play I might just get the M60 before Chrimbo 2021.

spud_tuber #110 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 23:14

Major

• Players
  • 59348 battles
I want M60 for collecting purposes.   Not sure I want it 15k bonds badly, though.

gideon_an #111 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 23:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30351 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
I grabbed the 121B because I intend to use it as a support scout in advances. It already has a better view range then my best lights. And My AMX 105 has a 4-5 perk crew with optics/vents.

Also tagged with what, is, WG, thinking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users