what is WG thinking

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

DrWho_ #41 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 17:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 26339 battles

View PostKliphie, on Sep 28 2019 - 14:50, said:

I don't recall if was some sort of prize but I know I acquired mine via excessive PayPal pwnage upon it's release

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Sep 28 2019 - 15:11, said:

If I remember correctly the AMX 13-57GF was a prize for E-sports, but it was also sold in the shop at the same time with the same GF (Grand Finals) badging, so the majority were still bought rather than earned.

View Post_Tsavo_, on Sep 28 2019 - 15:32, said:

If I recall, the 13-57GF and non GF were both sale tanks.  I don't know for sure as I won both of mine through forum and reddit contests.  Much like the 41-90GF and non GF, they're both pay tanks just from different eras. 

I stand corrected, thx for setting the facts straight

Bad example to illustrate the point then but I still think the idea of different versions of tanks to highlight how they were acquired is a better way than to make them 100% exclusive as others have pointed out. If those who won it wants to display a special type of camo (or something along those lines) to differentiate themselves from us plebs then let them but it really shouldn't be something that gives an actual advantage

Tao_Te_Tomato #42 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 17:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 28001 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostKliphie, on Sep 28 2019 - 07:07, said:

They're offering the least meta of the CW tanks.  History buffs and Vets will love to get the M60, but other than that, meh.  

Dammit, I'd have to go back to grinding for the Sheridan and buy the M48 so that I could have the complete set of "my" tanks.  :unsure:

AllieOop2 #43 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 17:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13 battles

I have earned some tanks in WoT for effort and bought some with no more of an effort than typing in a credit card number. If 12,000 other people got the same tank by whatever method including free it makes me zero difference. Any tank that WoT has made for the game should be available to everyone by various methods besides having to participate in CW.

IMO CW was a major step by WG that further fueled one of the more toxic aspect of the game. Elitist attitude, the perpetual strutting peacocks, which IMO has chased off more customers than it ever gained. If your good you don't have to tell everyone it should speak for itself.

Edited by AllieOop2, Sep 28 2019 - 17:37.

AllieOop2 #44 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 17:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13 battles

View PostTrimby99, on Sep 28 2019 - 14:46, said:

CW tanks for bonds is just another form of a participation trophy. Dislike.

No it isnt an if you earned CW tanks it wasn't your single glorious effort.

Das_Junka #45 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 18:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22000 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT

View PostTrimby99, on Sep 28 2019 - 14:46, said:

CW tanks for bonds is just another form of a participation trophy. Dislike.

Bingo, people who don't have the time and ability to earn them the normal way want it the easy way. The last thing we need on a larger scale is even more bad players than before spamming battles in Xs trying to farm bonds for cw tanks. Absolute cancer.

Baddies being envious of clan players is to be expected, what's really stupid though is the forum pandering by some who clearly don't have sincere opinions and won't debate points of substance, but want a pubby following.

Edited by JunkaTheAdmirable, Sep 28 2019 - 18:10.

BEASTY_BUCKEYE #46 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 18:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38308 battles

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 28 2019 - 11:09, said:

Bingo, people who don't have the time and ability to earn them the normal way want it the easy way. The last thing we need on a larger scale is even more bad players than before spamming battles in Xs trying to farm bonds for cw tanks. Absolute cancer.

Baddies being envious of clan players is to be expected, what's really stupid though is the forum pandering by some who clearly don't have sincere opinions and won't debate points of substance, but want a pubby following.

yV8dQOq.jpg?1

tanopasman62 #47 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 18:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 21434 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

All the QQ from CW guys makes it worth it on its own.

Although I think it would be best used to sell tanks that haven't been sold before (Such as Jagdtiger H or the Chieftain Mk 6 they have on the Chinese server, not the broken CW tank). I am not against having tanks that can only be obtained through a specific way, either be CW, bond shop or personal missions, as long as they're not a problem for game balance such as 279e or FV4201.

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #48 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 18:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 26957 battles

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 28 2019 - 10:09, said:

Omg dude it's a f2p game who cares if "subpar" players play tier x hopefully they're having fun, plus it's just easy damage for the rest of us. The elitism is real on this thread.

gideon_an #49 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 18:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30593 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 28 2019 - 13:09, said:

The last thing we need is toxic players driving off people with elitists attitudes but that never stops your posting.

"The last thing we need on a larger scale is even more bad players than before spamming battles in Xs trying to farm bonds for cw tanks. Absolute cancer."

Actually the true cancer is guys like you ruining things for other players because you think you are important as a doctor and the rest of us are crack addicts.

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 27 2019 - 19:36, said:

Why should someone failing their way through pubs for 30,000 games, dragging their teams down along the way, be considered to have the same merit as a clan wars caller? Some people's time is literally worth more than others. A crack addict is not equal to a doctor or a brigade commander.

Foolkiller70 #50 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 20:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 33171 battles
  • [AMPED] AMPED
It’s a great idea by WG. Let players who don’t Clan War get previous seasons reward tanks with Bonds. If you want the newest reward vehicles then you have to play Clan Wars. Rinse and repeat every year. Most other games do the same thing. If you want the best PVP gear in WOW then you have to compete in season tournaments. If not then you can buy the previous years gear by grinding emblems. 

streams12 #51 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 20:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35380 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT

View PostDrWho_, on Sep 28 2019 - 17:23, said:

I stand corrected, thx for setting the facts straight

Bad example to illustrate the point then but I still think the idea of different versions of tanks to highlight how they were acquired is a better way than to make them 100% exclusive as others have pointed out. If those who won it wants to display a special type of camo (or something along those lines) to differentiate themselves from us plebs then let them but it really shouldn't be something that gives an actual advantage

Large three-dimensional casting

Attached Files

• Attached File   112.jpg   54.61K

Edited by streams12, Sep 28 2019 - 20:44.

General_Lee_Miserable #52 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 21:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 10346 battles
While some players may feel butt hurt with the selling of reward tanks for bonds, it's actually very good for the health of the game. It will get people playing if there is something worthwhile to grind for that doesn't require a special mode or time investment. Ships has this right with coal. You can get Tier 10 ships just for the coal you grind out in your daily containers. No special mode. No clan wars. Play enough and you will be able to get Tier 10 ships. It really hasn't hurt the game and is one of many reasons why ships has been on an constant up cycle. Tanks could really stabilize server numbers by adopting some of the stuff from ships. 

DrWho_ #53 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 21:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 26339 battles

View Poststreams12, on Sep 28 2019 - 20:41, said:

Large three-dimensional casting

Neat, but make sure it can be "anonymized" so  people don't get "focused"

Das_Junka #54 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 21:41

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22000 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT

"If we make Romans of these barbarians, can we withhold Roman citizenship from them? No! Then what becomes of the precious prize Roman citizenship once was? It becomes a cheap, common thing. It will be given away like bread. I say no! We are Romans! Warriors! Let us rid our minds of this poisonous idea." - Fall of the Roman Empire, 1964

Nothing good comes of cheapening something coveted. Multiplying something of value simply devalues it, as with currency. Reward tanks are the currency of clan wars campaigns, to hand out even just the 121b and M60 throws dirt on the effort made by those to legitimately earn the tanks previously, and reduces the appeal of competing in the future for those who already have the other tanks.

There is no legitimate argument as to how this trend is good for the game. By definition it makes a competitive game less competitive. It is nice for casual players, but aside from the occaisonal financial aspect, casuals do not drive the forward progress of any game. People in niche games like this do not watch casual streams (look how badly it went when WG sponsored that fortnite streamer), nor are they inspired by mediocrity. 

Hierarchy of skill is needed in this game, i dont mind Mahou players lording their three marked tier Xs over me; I'm not demanding that three mark requirements be made more accessible to myself and other players. Resentment is a character flaw and should not provide the rationale for changing game policy on merit-based rewards.

Veracks #55 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 21:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23212 battles
  • [SU] SU

View Post_Tsavo_, on Sep 28 2019 - 09:30, said:

To the first paragraph, you missed my point entirely.  Your reason for CW isn't universal.  Nor did I say it was torture, I said the reward wasn't enough.  Nor, again, was I making fun of those who don't do CW. 

To the second, if a signature bothers you, oh well.  

Tried to be reasonable, but you want to be a bit of a prick, by all means, do so.  You'll receive the same from me. 

First off, my intention was not to be rude in any way. That being out of the way:

1.) CW is like any other mode in this game: you play it for fun if you find that mode fun. I personally hate Assault, so I have it disabled for example. The rewards for CW are like the rewards for FL: if you're playing only for the rewards, you're doing it wrong. This is a game which is to be played for your personal entertainment, not a grind-a-thon that you're running to maximize the best prizes.

2.) The signatures, XVM, and WN8 reek of elitism. This isn't to say that every last person who uses them is an obnoxious individual, but it is to say their very existence is to try to attach an absurd (and arbitrary) amount of "skill" to a game which is an outright casual game. This is like the people who try to turn party games like Smash Brothers into highly competitive game. All it ends up being is an awkward experience where 90% of the content is ignored so you can be "meta". But I digress, since this isn't the topic at hand.

_Tsavo_ #56 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 21:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46799 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostVeracks, on Sep 28 2019 - 15:41, said:

First off, my intention was not to be rude in any way. That being out of the way:

1.) CW is like any other mode in this game: you play it for fun if you find that mode fun. I personally hate Assault, so I have it disabled for example. The rewards for CW are like the rewards for FL: if you're playing only for the rewards, you're doing it wrong. This is a game which is to be played for your personal entertainment, not a grind-a-thon that you're running to maximize the best prizes.

2.) The signatures, XVM, and WN8 reek of elitism. This isn't to say that every last person who uses them is an obnoxious individual, but it is to say their very existence is to try to attach an absurd (and arbitrary) amount of "skill" to a game which is an outright casual game. This is like the people who try to turn party games like Smash Brothers into highly competitive game. All it ends up being is an awkward experience where 90% of the content is ignored so you can be "meta". But I digress, since this isn't the topic at hand.

Fair points, apologies for misinterpreting your post and the terse reply. 

Volcanic_lobster_220 #57 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 22:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8777 battles
I'm all for Tier 8 premiums for bonds, saw the Patriot for 8K and got excited, hopefully there'll be more Tier 8 options than that.

FrozenKemp #58 Posted Sep 28 2019 - 22:10

Major

• Players
  • 54129 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 28 2019 - 15:41, said:

"If we make Romans of these barbarians, can we withhold Roman citizenship from them? No! Then what becomes of the precious prize Roman citizenship once was? It becomes a cheap, common thing. It will be given away like bread. I say no! We are Romans! Warriors! Let us rid our minds of this poisonous idea." - Fall of the Roman Empire, 1964

Considering the Roman Republic (at least, Empire too surely?) expanded precisely because it granted citizenship to a wider and wider area, this strikes me as really silly ahistorical words to put into the mouths of actors. The reason the Romans were able to defeat Hannibal despite losing army after army to him was because they controlled most of the Italian peninsula by that point and had a vast population to call upon. If the Romans had stuck to "to be a citizen you have to be from the citizen of Rome" they would not have expanded as well as they did. 

I mean, you may have a point in your main argument, but the quote I disagree with. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Sep 28 2019 - 22:12.

SkaerKrow #59 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 00:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17397 battles
Aw, clanner scum panicking that WG is going to give people a way to earn tanks that doesn’t revolve around the game’s trashy clan battles system? How terrible. 

mrmojo #60 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 00:40

Major

• Players
  • 20455 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 29 2019 - 04:41, said:

Roman cavalry were crap and archers non-existent, what did the Romans do?

Used cavalry and archers from other nations/races...

Also tagged with what, is, WG, thinking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users