what is WG thinking

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

gideon_an #61 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 02:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30566 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
And Rome was burned down. Though after seeing a few posts by Junka I can't complain. Probably from the "elites" lighting their own farts and burning it down.

sneakytails #62 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 03:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7688 battles
  • [ESG] ESG
If CW players are buying the better tanks for 5k bonds then its fair to sell them to everybody else for significantly higher cost, we still have to earn the bonds to buy the tanks and it takes a while. Every tank should be available to all players. You make it fair with cost differences.

piledriveryatyas #63 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 04:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 28962 battles

View PostJunkaTheAdmirable, on Sep 28 2019 - 12:41, said:

"If we make Romans of these barbarians, can we withhold Roman citizenship from them? No! Then what becomes of the precious prize Roman citizenship once was? It becomes a cheap, common thing. It will be given away like bread. I say no! We are Romans! Warriors! Let us rid our minds of this poisonous idea." - Fall of the Roman Empire, 1964

Nothing good comes of cheapening something coveted. Multiplying something of value simply devalues it, as with currency. Reward tanks are the currency of clan wars campaigns, to hand out even just the 121b and M60 throws dirt on the effort made by those to legitimately earn the tanks previously, and reduces the appeal of competing in the future for those who already have the other tanks.

There is no legitimate argument as to how this trend is good for the game. By definition it makes a competitive game less competitive. It is nice for casual players, but aside from the occaisonal financial aspect, casuals do not drive the forward progress of any game. People in niche games like this do not watch casual streams (look how badly it went when WG sponsored that fortnite streamer), nor are they inspired by mediocrity. 

Hierarchy of skill is needed in this game, i dont mind Mahou players lording their three marked tier Xs over me; I'm not demanding that three mark requirements be made more accessible to myself and other players. Resentment is a character flaw and should not provide the rationale for changing game policy on merit-based rewards.

You've mentioned this a couple of times now, so here's my legitimate argument:

You're wrong. There is no legitimate argument for NOT allowing others to purchase those tanks. And to prove my point, I'll offer myself as a good example.

Your stats are admittedly slightly better than mine, but I think you'd agree that mine are surely good enough to place in a halfway decent CW clan. In fact, a cursory look at your clan roster shows that I'm better than over half of them. So, your hierarchy of skill claim is now out the window. Even if that half of your team didn't do CW, I'd still make the cut. Further, since I've done those events, I also know that making the cut is often dependent on which tanks you have - I have a lot.

The only difference between someone like you and someone like me, is that someone like you has the time/desire to dedicate to CW. I have the cumulative time (I have more games than you), but simply cannot/will not devote myself to the strict schedule that is CW. You're not "better" than folks like me. At all. You simply have more time. I have a job, 2 kids, own a business, etc. Real life [edited]. In fact, a few years ago, I was deployed during one of the CW events while I was serving our country. I guess though, your commitment to the game means you should get the cool tank since I wasn't dedicated enough to play CW from Afghanistan then eh?

And I have played in CW events, and gotten tanks. Years ago I had a couple of them, and the experience was such a turn off that I quit the game for about a year and a half. Got rid of that account, etc. So, yeah, if that's your idea of keeping the game relevant and the hierarchy of skill... I think you're doing it wrong. 

Finally, opening these up to folks in the bonds shop STILL puts a pretty damn big pay wall up to keep those "casual" players you so fear out. The bonds don't exactly get handed out like candy. I've NEVER bought a single directive because I knew that one day I'd be able to use the bonds for something more permanent - like a tank. Guess what? Having never spent a single bond, I still only have 20k bonds. So those "casual" players aren't gonna make a run on your cool tanks man. They can't afford it. And if they can, then it's because they already have t10s and are already grinding.

I am a collector. That's probably dumb in yours (and many other folks) eyes. I have nearly every premium tank ever released in this game - except for the CW tanks. That means I've spent thousands of dollars on this game. It's my thousands to spend. I've also earned the ones from the personal missions and frontline, because they don't require me to be on my computer at exactly 6pm talking into a headset with people I don't know/like/care about strategizing about the game like it's real war (which, as I've stated, I've been to - more than once). So if my money, time, and skill aren't worthy in your eyes, I'm glad WG doesn't view it the same.

_Red_Saaryn_ #64 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 05:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24300 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L
I'm not going to lie. Im tempted to get a m60 then play like crap and have awful stats on it just to despise these supremacy guys...

streams12 #65 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:07

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35349 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT

I think the more controversial is the Legion Award.

Because there are too many thresholds, there needs to be a legion, there are members who can play, and the problem of time cooperation.
There is also a language problem (Myself)

But I think that the campaign should not be put in, because the campaign is any single player, you can participate in the battle at any time, there is no threshold, the problem is fair, and the person wants to get it step by step.

However, if the Legion War rewards can be obtained in the bond store, it is also necessary to pay attention to the fair feelings of the Legion Wars, because their control skills and dedication are worth boasting.

Perhaps they should be like the winning Olympic athletes, hang their medals on their vehicles, respect their glory, at least retain the value of performing tasks.

Edited by streams12, Sep 29 2019 - 06:08.

TornadoADV #66 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26201 battles
  • [ESC] ESC
I'll finally be able to get that really terrible KV-4 TD, yay! :medal:

streams12 #67 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:17

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35349 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT

View PostTornadoADV, on Sep 29 2019 - 06:15, said:

I'll finally be able to get that really terrible KV-4 TD, yay! :medal:

M41 90 GF and KV-4 KRESL

Squashballs #68 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37494 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE
As an ex World of Warcraft player who did arenas here's how i can put it. If you ranked high enough in the arenas you got special gear, and special rewards. The GP was never going to obtain these items. The CW tanks should be limited to only players who play CWs and not be allowed to just be bought by the GP. Take away the CW rewards and you will kill the competitive nature of this game and CWs will be dead and soon after WoT will be dead because all the competitive players will go elsewhere. I only really play this game anymore for CWs and ranked battles. I don't enjoy the pub battles anymore especially since I am not grinding any tanks, and my crews are all 4+ perk in my T10s.

Squashballs #69 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37494 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

View Postpiledriveryatyas, on Sep 29 2019 - 03:49, said:

You've mentioned this a couple of times now, so here's my legitimate argument:

You're wrong. There is no legitimate argument for NOT allowing others to purchase those tanks. And to prove my point, I'll offer myself as a good example.

Your stats are admittedly slightly better than mine, but I think you'd agree that mine are surely good enough to place in a halfway decent CW clan. In fact, a cursory look at your clan roster shows that I'm better than over half of them. So, your hierarchy of skill claim is now out the window. Even if that half of your team didn't do CW, I'd still make the cut. Further, since I've done those events, I also know that making the cut is often dependent on which tanks you have - I have a lot.

The only difference between someone like you and someone like me, is that someone like you has the time/desire to dedicate to CW. I have the cumulative time (I have more games than you), but simply cannot/will not devote myself to the strict schedule that is CW. You're not "better" than folks like me. At all. You simply have more time. I have a job, 2 kids, own a business, etc. Real life [edited]. In fact, a few years ago, I was deployed during one of the CW events while I was serving our country. I guess though, your commitment to the game means you should get the cool tank since I wasn't dedicated enough to play CW from Afghanistan then eh?

And I have played in CW events, and gotten tanks. Years ago I had a couple of them, and the experience was such a turn off that I quit the game for about a year and a half. Got rid of that account, etc. So, yeah, if that's your idea of keeping the game relevant and the hierarchy of skill... I think you're doing it wrong. 

Finally, opening these up to folks in the bonds shop STILL puts a pretty damn big pay wall up to keep those "casual" players you so fear out. The bonds don't exactly get handed out like candy. I've NEVER bought a single directive because I knew that one day I'd be able to use the bonds for something more permanent - like a tank. Guess what? Having never spent a single bond, I still only have 20k bonds. So those "casual" players aren't gonna make a run on your cool tanks man. They can't afford it. And if they can, then it's because they already have t10s and are already grinding.

I am a collector. That's probably dumb in yours (and many other folks) eyes. I have nearly every premium tank ever released in this game - except for the CW tanks. That means I've spent thousands of dollars on this game. It's my thousands to spend. I've also earned the ones from the personal missions and frontline, because they don't require me to be on my computer at exactly 6pm talking into a headset with people I don't know/like/care about strategizing about the game like it's real war (which, as I've stated, I've been to - more than once). So if my money, time, and skill aren't worthy in your eyes, I'm glad WG doesn't view it the same.

so you should be rewarded for not being able to play the game? seems pretty counter intuitive to me. the point of a game is to reward the players who actually put the time in and play the game. you don't play you don't get rewarded. 

nuclearguy931 #70 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 06:55

Major

• Players
  • 82767 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 00:51, said:

so you should be rewarded for not being able to play the game? seems pretty counter intuitive to me. the point of a game is to reward the players who actually put the time in and play the game. you don't play you don't get rewarded. 

You're daft.

Squashballs #71 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 07:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37494 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

View Postnuclearguy931, on Sep 29 2019 - 05:55, said:

You're daft.

aww would you like a participation trophy too for not participating?

nuclearguy931 #72 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 07:53

Major

• Players
  • 82767 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 01:15, said:

aww would you like a participation trophy too for not participating?

So that's what you're calling the CW award tanks now? Participation trophies?

Kliphie #73 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 13:17

Major

• Players
  • 33114 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 00:51, said:

Wouldn't acquiring 15k require a bit of playing?

gideon_an #74 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 13:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30566 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 01:47, said:

As an ex World of Warcraft player who did arenas here's how i can put it. If you ranked high enough in the arenas you got special gear, and special rewards. The GP was never going to obtain these items. The CW tanks should be limited to only players who play CWs and not be allowed to just be bought by the GP. Take away the CW rewards and you will kill the competitive nature of this game and CWs will be dead and soon after WoT will be dead because all the competitive players will go elsewhere. I only really play this game anymore for CWs and ranked battles. I don't enjoy the pub battles anymore especially since I am not grinding any tanks, and my crews are all 4+ perk in my T10s.

There is a bit of a myth in this sentence.

"Take away the CW rewards and you will kill the competitive nature of this game and CWs will be dead and soon after WoT will be dead because all the competitive players will go elsewhere."

It is saying that the CW players are a large portion of the player base and they aren't. By Junka's rant they are the elites and equivalent to doctors. They are a small percentage.

But lets say they left because someone else gets a tank they have. Well the new players they drive off by screaming "get gud" "uninstall nub" or whatever toxic crap they spam in chat will replace them. New players might be actually able to enjoy the game without some random person raging because that player is ruining their game and saying things like "I hope your dog gets hit by a bus and dies from cancer.". And who knows people might actually help those players doing bad to play better and we can have an enjoyable game without toxic elitist jacksasses. 

Edited by gideon_an, Sep 29 2019 - 13:40.

piledriveryatyas #75 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 15:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 28962 battles

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 28 2019 - 21:51, said:

Not all, and I'm not asking to be "given" a tank. But I also shouldn't be penalized for having a real adult life. And as for the "time", as I said in my case, I have plenty of time in this game since I've played since nearly it's first month and have a fair amount of games. So what's in question here? My loyalty to the game? My skills? Or my ability to login at precise times for a prolonged series of days to "play"?  It seems the issue here is that you think that "dedication" (a word I use loosely, because in my eyes, it's not as much dedication as it is a lack of other obligations on CW players part) equates to entitlement or a certain skill. To highlight even more, for some time I was stationed in Hawaii - when CW would run it would start at 3pm - I was still at work. Literally NOT feasible to even play. CW is simply not accessible to everyone and rewarding only those that it is accessible to is arbitrary at best. If that means CW players take their ball and go home, I'd be all for that. 

Tao_Te_Tomato #76 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 16:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 27990 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Postpiledriveryatyas, on Sep 29 2019 - 15:30, said:

Not all, and I'm not asking to be "given" a tank. But I also shouldn't be penalized for having a real adult life. 

If for no other reason than that often that real adult life is penalty enough by itself!

For one movie's take on the issue here:

Edited by Tao_Te_Tomato, Sep 29 2019 - 16:11.

BEASTY_BUCKEYE #77 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 16:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38297 battles

I guess everyone just forgot about this article, Notice what is written in bold letters.

TrPWvyH.jpg

Kliphie #78 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 33114 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Unfortunately, we ended up with the darkest timeline instead of Harkonnen's hope.  

Charmz #79 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 17:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 33555 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

In my opinion what they should do is offer tier 10 tanks that are not earned through clan wars. Like this reward tanks will remain special and would make the average players inspired to join top clans etc. 

They should put tanks like the Foch 155 or Fv 183, or perhaps the the balanced version of the Waffenträger auf E 100 the one in the Chinese server.  Maybe we might also see the original Chieftain which was never introduce. :hiding:

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #80 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 17:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 26953 battles

View PostBEASTY_BUCKEYE, on Sep 29 2019 - 08:16, said:

I guess everyone just forgot about this article, Notice what is written in bold letters.

TrPWvyH.jpg

Ooof... oh wayment that's from 2018

Edited by Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy, Sep 29 2019 - 17:17.

Also tagged with what, is, WG, thinking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users