what is WG thinking

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

piledriveryatyas #81 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 21:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 29035 battles

View PostCharmz, on Sep 29 2019 - 08:05, said:

In my opinion what they should do is offer tier 10 tanks that are not earned through clan wars. Like this reward tanks will remain special and would make the average players inspired to join top clans etc. 

They should put tanks like the Foch 155 or Fv 183, or perhaps the the balanced version of the Waffenträger auf E 100 the one in the Chinese server.  Maybe we might also see the original Chieftain which was never introduce. :hiding:

But this thinking is the problem. You make two crucial assumptions here:

First, that everyone who doesn't play CW is "average". Certainly many are. Just as certainly, there are MANY average players that play CW and receive award tanks.

Second, that "average" players will/should want to do CW. I know I don't - ever. And I'm not alone.

Squashballs #82 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 21:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37650 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

View Postpiledriveryatyas, on Sep 29 2019 - 14:30, said:

Not all, and I'm not asking to be "given" a tank. But I also shouldn't be penalized for having a real adult life. And as for the "time", as I said in my case, I have plenty of time in this game since I've played since nearly it's first month and have a fair amount of games. So what's in question here? My loyalty to the game? My skills? Or my ability to login at precise times for a prolonged series of days to "play"?  It seems the issue here is that you think that "dedication" (a word I use loosely, because in my eyes, it's not as much dedication as it is a lack of other obligations on CW players part) equates to entitlement or a certain skill. To highlight even more, for some time I was stationed in Hawaii - when CW would run it would start at 3pm - I was still at work. Literally NOT feasible to even play. CW is simply not accessible to everyone and rewarding only those that it is accessible to is arbitrary at best. If that means CW players take their ball and go home, I'd be all for that. 

I work 4 10 hour days from 1230pm to 11pm CSt Friday through Monday. I spend Wednesday and Thursday wth my gf. So I am now only able to do anything cw related on Tuesdays. So I completely understand what you mean, but the cw tanks should be limited only to cws. Also I cannot do tournaments and a lot of the events have cut off times so if I want any of the rewards I have to work extra hard for them or just take the L

Squashballs #83 Posted Sep 29 2019 - 21:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37650 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

View Postgideon_an, on Sep 29 2019 - 12:40, said:

There is a bit of a myth in this sentence.

"Take away the CW rewards and you will kill the competitive nature of this game and CWs will be dead and soon after WoT will be dead because all the competitive players will go elsewhere."

It is saying that the CW players are a large portion of the player base and they aren't. By Junka's rant they are the elites and equivalent to doctors. They are a small percentage.

But lets say they left because someone else gets a tank they have. Well the new players they drive off by screaming "get gud" "uninstall nub" or whatever toxic crap they spam in chat will replace them. New players might be actually able to enjoy the game without some random person raging because that player is ruining their game and saying things like "I hope your dog gets hit by a bus and dies from cancer.". And who knows people might actually help those players doing bad to play better and we can have an enjoyable game without toxic elitist jacksasses. 

Welcome to the internet where everybody is toxic. Learn to suck it up. Plus you don't have to look at the chat and can ignore the PMs. But if you are getting bitched at by better players then learn what you're doing wrong and correct it. Only way to get better. I started caring about stats after I had better players saying theirs were better than mine and I learned what to change to become better

Charmz #84 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 01:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 33575 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View Postpiledriveryatyas, on Sep 29 2019 - 20:03, said:

But this thinking is the problem. You make two crucial assumptions here:

First, that everyone who doesn't play CW is "average". Certainly many are. Just as certainly, there are MANY average players that play CW and receive award tanks.

Second, that "average" players will/should want to do CW. I know I don't - ever. And I'm not alone.

Perhaps the words I choose were wrong, as in "average" I mean it as in the "casual player", nothing to do with stats etc. Indeed, most people don't like to play CW no matter how bad/good they.

All I'm saying is that we need reward tanks only for clan war players no matter how good/bad those players are. If we just sell those reward tanks, whats the point on playing clan wars?  Players will not be motivated to play clan wars at all.  

AlamoMelt #85 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 02:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20366 battles

Seriously, when's the last time you saw an M60 in the wild? It's an old, old tank that CW players have had (and not played) for a long time, if they even wanted it in the first place. I find it hard to believe anyone's "proud" of their M60 in 2019. Seems reasonable to widen the "market" for old content at this point. 

Dedicated players can be "proud" of their 907s and T95/Chieftans and whatever the top reward Frontline tank is, and if the game's still around in 6 more years WG will probably sell those for small children or whatever the new currency is at that point.

Bavor #86 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:00

Major

• Players
  • 34470 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostBlackFive, on Sep 28 2019 - 01:26, said:

15k bonds is about right for a Tier X tank.  Not for an 8.  And the CW tanks should be on the list; given that we're in the latter stages of the life of the title.

15K bonds is very cheap for a clan wars reward tank.  It cost the players who spent many hours of their time in a campaign and many hours of their time leading up to a campaign 4,000 bonds after they earned the tank in the campaign.  So, players who get the tank for 15,000 bonds are only paying 11,000 bonds more than the players who earned the tank.  For the amount of time and effort that many players put into earning a campaign reward tank, I'd be happier with a 25,000-30,000 bonds price for the clan wars reward tanks for sale in game.

Bavor #87 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:04

Major

• Players
  • 34470 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View Postcavalry11, on Sep 28 2019 - 08:56, said:

Either let everyone get CW tanks or restrict them to CWs and advances.

Anyone who earned a tank in frontlines should only be able to use that tank in frontlines.  Anyone who earned a tank in a tournament should only be allowed to use that tank in tournaments.  Anyone who earned a tank from tank rewards should only be allowed to use that for tank rewards missions.  See how ridiculous your logic sounds?

Bavor #88 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:21

Major

• Players
  • 34470 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View Postnuclearguy931, on Sep 28 2019 - 02:43, said:

Why not sell them?

They can put a little pink flower emblem on the tanks that were earned in CW's and a $ sign emblem on the ones that were bought for bonds to differentiate to the player base how they were acquired.

The players who earned the tanks through the clan wars campaigns should be awarded another set of special camo for their reward tanks to distinguish themself from the players who bought them.  The players who buy the reward tanks with bonds should receive a permanent non removable camo that shows the tank was bought with bonds and/or those tanks sold for bonds should have a different tank model designation in game.  Instead of M60 it should be M60BOND or or M60$$$ or something else like that.

I've noticed the people who make the most snide remarks and say the most negative things about people who earned the tanks in clan wars are the people who don't have the individual skills and team play skills to earn a clan wars reward tank.

This attitude of everyone should get a participation trophy hurts the game.  It makes players who earned the tanks quit playing or quit spending money on the game.  I know some players who quit spending money on the game after the M6 Mutant was sold again and others who quit playing the game at that time. Other players I know said they are going to stop spending money on the game if clan wars reward tanks are actually sold for bonds.  The Stanley Cup isn't handed out to every high school hockey player who wants it and superbowl rings aren't handed out to every high school football player who wants one.  Why should rewards for both individual and team skilled play be handed out for such a low price to everyone who wants it?  If Wargaming is going to sell clan wars reward tanks for bonds, make players put in the time and effort of clan wars seasons and campaigns to earn them.  Make the reward tanks cost 25,000-30,000 bonds.

nuclearguy931 #89 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:24

Major

• Players
  • 82837 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostBavor, on Sep 30 2019 - 00:21, said:

The players who earned the tanks through the clan wars campaigns should be awarded another set of special camo for their reward tanks to distinguish themself from the players who bought them.  The players who buy the reward tanks with bonds should receive a permanent non removable camo that shows the tank was bought with bonds and/or those tanks sold for bonds should have a different tank model designation in game.  Instead of M60 it should be M60BOND or or M60$$$ or something else like that.

I've noticed the people who make the most snide remarks and say the most negative things about people who earned the tanks in clan wars are the people who don't have the individual skills and team play skills to earn a clan wars reward tank.

This attitude of everyone should get a participation trophy hurts the game.  It makes players who earned the tanks quit playing or quit spending money on the game.  I know some players who quit spending money on the game after the M6 Mutant was sold again and others who quit playing the game at that time. Other players I know said they are going to stop spending money on the game if clan wars reward tanks are actually sold for bonds.  The Stanley Cup isn't handed out to every high school hockey player who wants it and superbowl rings aren't handed out to every high school football player who wants one.  Why should rewards for both individual and team skilled play be handed out for such a low price to everyone who wants it?  If Wargaming is going to sell clan wars reward tanks for bonds, make players put in the time and effort of clan wars seasons and campaigns to earn them.  Make the reward tanks cost 25,000-30,000 bonds.

I've suggested marking to differentiate the CW award tanks from the bond tanks.

CW award tanks can have a pink flower or a pansy emblem while the tanks bought with bonds can have a '$' emblem, neither of which can be removed.

Altwar #90 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:24

Major

• Players
  • 58737 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 12:15, said:

Welcome to the internet where everybody is toxic. Learn to suck it up. Plus you don't have to look at the chat and can ignore the PMs. But if you are getting bitched at by better players then learn what you're doing wrong and correct it. Only way to get better. I started caring about stats after I had better players saying theirs were better than mine and I learned what to change to become better

When these so called better players do their scolding or [edited]as you put it, it's then that they fail.  Good players who are truly good become even better when they pass on what they know so that others become better.  When so called better players treat other players like crap because they don't measure up or do the things those so called better players think they should do, they forget this one simple thing about a game:  

when you are at the top of a mountain and become obnoxious about it, don't be surprised if the mountain becomes a hill becomes merely a bump until you've only yourself to brag to about how good you are.

Btw, just because a better player says this or that should be done, doesn't mean it's true.  There are quite a few so called better players who are angry at their own failings and take it out on others because they can't face how they aren't as good as they think they are.   It's only a game after all.  ;)

Altwar #91 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:28

Major

• Players
  • 58737 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostBavor, on Sep 29 2019 - 21:21, said:

How do you know these people don't have the skills?  Maybe they are just tired of others who proclaim constantly about how great they are and how others suck in comparison which breeds contempt and negativity in turn.

Not everyone takes this game seriously or puts in the time and effort to "git gud".  I certainly don't.  I come to have fun shooting things and enjoying the entertainment Wargaming provides.  If Wargaming wants to provide extra content that has been exclusive for years to a select few, well then, it's for them to decide.

Avalon304 #92 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 06:51

Major

• Players
  • 23912 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostBavor, on Sep 29 2019 - 22:21, said:

Well that first idea is silly, since the tanks bought with bonds dont come with any camo at all, and players hardly use the camos that came with the reward tanks if they did get them through CW.

And since the auctions exist, and theres 0 effort required to bid in them (5 battles) and 15k is only about 3k less than most of the minimum bids for the reward tanks, 15k is about right given that it will take much much longer for a non-CW player to get say an M60, as compared to a person who did participate in a campaign.

Anyone who quits over this is looking for an excuse to quit. If you actually care about CW you'll play it regardless of whether or not they sell the CW rewards. You say that people should have to put in the time and effort of a CW campaign to get a tank from the bond shop if theyre going to be sold. Well that price already reflects that. Any player who isnt doing CW probably isnt going to have 15k bonds for MONTHS. The only reason any of them may have that much (or more now) is because until now theres been nothign actually worth buying with bonds. If a player only does the premium mission every day it would take them 600 days to get a CW tank out of the bond shop. But even assuming 50 bonds a day youre looking at just under a year to get a tank, and I dont think 50 bonds a day is out of reach of a person only doing pub battles, especially an average person. Of course that doesnt account for events like Frontlines or Steel Hunter, but those events take time and effort too, so call it 6 months accounting for those events. Thats so much more time and effort required than taking part in a 21 day or 14 day campaign, or playing 5 battles in a campaign and then bidding on a tank.

streams12 #93 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 07:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35508 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT

I suddenly have an idea, 8th-order value-added car
Can you also have the ability to earn a small amount of bonds?

Maybe 10~20 sheets

Edited by streams12, Sep 30 2019 - 07:50.

streams12 #94 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 07:48

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35508 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT

View PostBavor, on Sep 30 2019 - 06:21, said:

Binding camouflage will hinder the game's new camouflage sale, so this method is not very good

gideon_an #95 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 08:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30677 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostSquashballs, on Sep 29 2019 - 16:15, said:

That is another myth that the person [edited]at you is actually right. I'm forgetting the exact details now but the guy was raging at me for being the worst player on the server or whatever it was he was saying. He fired 3 times and only hit once for around 400-700 dmg. I did about 1500 with a kill hitting and penning something like 4/5 shots. And of course I earned more exp another metric he played worse.

I wasn't angry or salty about it but I did have to ask him by what metric he thought he did anything better. I did more damage, got a kill, got more exp, and hit and penned more shots. Hell I think I was in a tier 8 tank while he was in a 9.

Though I do try and own my mistakes. Sometimes I push into bad exchanges or just whiff shots. That guy though had nothing to complain about because he definitely didn't play anywhere near well. And we did lose the match but it took a whole team to only get 3 kills. That wasn't just on the two of us but for some reason he decided everyone else was to blame.

Says #96 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 14:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13933 battles
  • [SAYS] SAYS
Just offer a few OP tanks that can be purchased with bonds who anyone that took part in a CW event don't qualify for.  Best of both worlds.

Trauglodyte #97 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 14:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 23747 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
My only question, about this concept, is how does this drive revenue?  Everything about this game is about adding to the bottom line, for WG.  Short of them offering bonds for $$$, the only monetary driver that I see is that this "PERHAPS" helps to increase current player longevity, since it would give them another carrot on a stick.

Kliphie #98 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 14:46

Major

• Players
  • 33183 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostTrauglodyte, on Sep 30 2019 - 08:34, said:

My only question, about this concept, is how does this drive revenue?  Everything about this game is about adding to the bottom line, for WG.  Short of them offering bonds for $$$, the only monetary driver that I see is that this "PERHAPS" helps to increase current player longevity, since it would give them another carrot on a stick.

Increasing tier 10 play to farm bonds

highex #99 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 14:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24961 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

as a non unicum this is a good way for me to get the "unobtainiums".

and if WG stopped making the exclusivity promises this wouldnt happen.

players will still play for the newest, best, shiniest temporarily exclusive tanks even knowing that they will be sold someday.

there are mission tanks i would pay for because i simply do not have the time or skill to complete what is required. and i think that would be less heartburn for the unicum cw players that need to be exclusive. 

piledriveryatyas #100 Posted Sep 30 2019 - 14:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 29035 battles

View PostCharmz, on Sep 29 2019 - 16:43, said:

Perhaps the words I choose were wrong, as in "average" I mean it as in the "casual player", nothing to do with stats etc. Indeed, most people don't like to play CW no matter how bad/good they.

All I'm saying is that we need reward tanks only for clan war players no matter how good/bad those players are. If we just sell those reward tanks, whats the point on playing clan wars?  Players will not be motivated to play clan wars at all.  

Well this is where we disagree. Much like just about every other facet of this game, it's monetized. Those who put in the effort for CW get them for free. Or, in reality, for bonds as well - but they get those bonds in much larger quantities. Those who don't play CW have to take MUCH longer to get them and pay a much larger price. I think that's fair. They waited years to release the pre-order tanks and those are out now. In fact, the kv-220-2 was an alpha tester tank once. Guess what? It's available for all occasionally. CW tanks should be no different. The motivation is getting it earlier and cheaper. That's my 2 cents.

Also tagged with what, is, WG, thinking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users