first match EVER

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Gunn_Fyter #21 Posted Oct 06 2019 - 02:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 472 battles
Learn to work the armor in the Japanese tier 1. It can be very bouncy with proper angling. It can even give some tier 2 guns fits. You should stay on hard, flat ground whenever possible to maximize it's limited mobility. Trying to climb steep slopes like the hill on Himmelsdorf only guarantees that you will arrive too late to see any action. Your faster teammates will either be on the bottom of the other side of the hill by the time you get to the top, or the enemy will have destroyed them all and you'll be a sitting duck when they come swarming over to your side. You can also stay in cover and snipe and you won't have to worry at all about being hampered by poor mobility. 

The_Pushok #22 Posted Oct 06 2019 - 07:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16785 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

I am a bit of a slow learner, lol, but I did not really "get it" until a few thousand battles. At around 7000 battles, I started to actually become a decent player, having a mouse helped also as I was playing with a touch pad.

I also read a lot and watched a bunch of videos, that helped learn the maps and the role each tank generally has on the maps, I think that is crucial to start becoming better at the game. Patience also, not to yolo out there and expect different results each time.

1ST_AD_Abrams #23 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 13:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Well the other day I finally searched for defeating a certain tank that has given me nothing but grief, the AT-8 British TD.  However now I don't get a chance to shoot it as it tags me before I can aim for the week spot not to mention the dispersion issue.

Be aware that depending on your tank type (lt, mt, ht, td, spg) sniping/hiding will possibly draw the ire of some players at you so be aware of that.  Even if you do play your tank right, be prepared for the response.

I know I will never know this game or have the skills since I have joined so late, however even when asked why play a game that gets you so frustrated/upset/riled up, I say the game has great graphics, it is the only tank sim out there like it, it is fun driving the tank and I have my moments (just not very often) and of course what I don't admit, a little competition can't hurt. 

However I will never worry about my stats as I will have no need to and so ask yourself if you are going to try and be one of the best (top of the game or close to it) then you stats might be important however if you are like me and know in advance you will never gain the skills needed to be up in the top 15% or whatever and you aren't going for being someone who is in demand as a team mate and/or group/guild/clan then the stats should be viewed as just stats that let you know for your own personal use what you do.  Ignore the tracking of them if you can or you will lose focus on what you need to do and get to flustered when your stats aren't going in the right direction.  Session stats are a good way to at least see how few victories the rng mm system has caused you.  Remember the stats take in both low tier, middle and high tier, so naturally don't be shocked with all down arrows in red when playing a lower tier and then going green when playing a much higher tier since the amount of damage will be different and I don't think they have a way to balance your tier 2 stats against your tier 7 stats, so don't be worried about the session stats either.

dunniteowl #24 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 16:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

1st_AD_Abrams, I appreciate your position.  I am most definitely a "You do You" sort of person, especially in this crazy game.  There are all sorts playing here.  

I tend to believe most people are:

Here to have fun,

Doing their best to play

Want to win

Are a bit competitive

Like to think they are good at stuff.

That's my Sincere, Heartfelt perception of people in general.  So, with that in mind and that I do respect your position, I think you are selling yourself a tad short on your ability.  I think you CAN learn enough about this game to do well enough such that you win more.  Even if that's only a little bit, you'll notice it over time.  In that little bit of improved ability from knowing what you're doing, you'll:

Survive (more)

Do Damage (more often)

Help Your Team (sometimes even on purpose)

This is why I put this together:  The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

Look, this game is nearly 10 years old now.  I have been playing it for just over five of them.  When I got here it was just as crazy if not more so and I felt pretty much like you did.  Got here late.  Hard to get up and learn against all this experience, etc.  It's only a matter of perception and difference.

Yeah, it's hard, so what?  I provide you the links to the tools that WILL help you play better.  I don't give a rat's fart about your stats if you don't, but isn't winning more often more fun?  Isn't being able to survive more matches that are wins more fun than losing and getting exed out nearly immediately?  

If you really don't care, then I'm truly happy for you.  You know, because I am a "You do You" sort of guy.  If, however, you think you might like to win more, do more damage in games and become one of those guys people say GG to instead of curse more often than not, then give that linked package a look-see.

People say they value their gaming time and that's why they won't study any stuff like this.  I beg to differ.  If you truly valued your gaming time, you'd take the time to learn the rules of the game.  You wouldn't play Monopoly without knowing how, would you?  Do you think you could have fun at Cribbage, Dominoes, Baseball, Tennis, Disc-Golf, Paintball or playing a musical instrument if you just 'winged' it the whole time and never learned the rules of any of those things?

Of course, not!  You value your time too much to waste it in ignorant flailing about, right?

So, what makes this game any different?

That's just a little perception view I offer in order to entice you to do your best by learning how to do it better.  Not for your stats, but for your enjoyment.  When I learned those things in that Package, I was miserable and ready to quit this game.  I wasn't really having that much fun.  I believe I am more competitive than many simply by nature of being the 4th boy in a row in a family of five (I have a younger sister -- and yes, she's still a little sister, too) so I was always competing for attention at home, fairness from my older brothers and always attempting to show my older brothers, "I can do this" whatever it was that they said I was too small for, so I became pretty competitive as a general rule -- with my self more than anyone else.  I had to prove to me that I COULD do stuff when others said I could not.

So that probably makes me see things a bit different.  That said, I love blowing things up and I love driving the tanks around.  I appreciate the battle field topography as a designer of board war games and role playing games.  Again, that probably skews my view of things.  Even so, the enjoyment factor is a HUGE aspect of why I play anything.

I wasn't having that fun until I learned how the game worked.  Once I knew what I was doing wrong and how to do it more successfully over time, I found that I was having a LOT MORE FUN!!  That was what was important to me.  My stats went up, because I lived longer each match and that meant I fired my gun more, which meant I was doing more damage, getting more kills, pulling my weight and then pulling my weight plus that of another and I was doing all that while having MUCH MORE FUN than I was before.

So, with that in mind, if you are so inclined, please take the time to find yourself reading some of those links that I opined were the finest of their kind.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Oct 09 2019 - 16:23.

el_01 #25 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 01:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3777 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Still need to send that PM, sorry OP.

Krodah #26 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 20:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2666 battles
  • [AR-15] AR-15

Hi I started a few months ago and yes, the culture is toxic.

I would recommend turning off chat and setting it so only those on your friends list can message you.    

Also, you should post a thread looking to be recruited  or post in a thread like this:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/598361-looking-for-recruit-to-work-together-on-new-referral-program-20-bonus-tier-6-premium-tank/

you get a free t6  (and possibly more if the recruiter is offering incentives)  

ballyspringer #27 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23112 battles

Welcome to the game and I will say the game is more fun when you don't feed the trolls and just ignore them :D  As others have mentioned try to find a friendly clan - personally I would try to find one with mainly other new people with some experienced people sprinkled in who want to learn and get better together.  There are a lot of good helpful people in this game - ignore the rest!

I will say after you get out of tier V things in my opinion get much better, that being said don't rush yourself to get there.  You will lose a lot starting out, but learn how to shoot, use cover/hills/buildings to your advantage, and read the mini-map at the lower tiers and it will serve you well as you go to bigger tiers.  Part of the problem with low tiers is unfortunately there is a huge power gap between tanks, some tanks are potatoes and some are over powered for the tier - so you will see a LOT of trolls who do nothing but play low tier overpowered tanks and think they are great because of it.  Normally these are the people who complain the loudest in chat and will PM you after the matches about how horrible you are.  Just throw them on your blocked list and move on.

End of the day just ignore the trolls and it will get better, especially if you find a great clan you can grow and learn with.  That was the single biggest thing that helped me when I was new and was absolutely horrible at this game.  The clan I started with had something like only 6 guys who had over 5k battles - and the rest were all new and wanted to learn and get better like myself.

1ST_AD_Abrams #28 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 07:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Sure I want to win but it is important to be able to take defeat as well.  If you only can accept wins then you will have those outbursts against others who are playing the game to have fun, enjoy the competition and to whom winning is not the only reason to play.

I underestimate my skills because that leaves me room for improvement.  If I remember a statement from someone who said you will know you are ready, skills and gear wise is that you can go into a lower tier and own the match.  Now I don't expect to get all the kills on the team, top gun, high caliber and so on, wishful thinking.  I also base my skill estimation based on can I beat almost all the tanks in the game when fighting a matched (like tier 5 vs tier 5, ht vs ht) player (ignoring the rankings/ratings of WOT).

You used the monopoly example.  Sure I need to understand the rules by which govern the game.  I don't or haven't yet read anything on how to win at monopoly (in terms of strategies or tactics), I mean once you read the rules you have a basic understanding.  However learning to play something else whether a board game, a computer game, a real sport will vary based on the complexity of the rules (and I have never tried to learn cribbage and I still don't honestly know how to play Chess at the basic level)  Learning the game rules differs from being able to implement skills to overcome you fellow players takes time and practice.

I hope to do more study on this game.  However I believe in the OJT, on the job training can sometimes be helpful.  Almost any game I have played, mostly solo games, I play the game without reading the rules (sure I get clobbered) but I learn things about how the game works or plays when I explore a feature or why don't I have that item/size/bonus or whatever.  Of course WoT doesn't really allow for OJT especially if you have a skilled player show up in your Tier 2 match, which is an area I wish WOT would address.  In addition if you don't act like a player wants you to, you get yelled at, no matter how many videos/faq's/tips/etc you have read.  You still need the skill to implement what you read.  After all I can follow and read the guides on LT in terms of taking down a hvy tank or TD with no turret however I need to be able to have the skills and ability to put what I learned into action.

Sadly the boot camp phase of the game is something I am sure most new players might coast through with almost no problems as there is no death penalty in most of those missions and then assume they are ready to play against others and get a rude awakening.  Perhaps those who have leverage or a foot in the door with Wargaming.net would encourage them to extend basic training to address tactics, what each tank type should be doing based on the current tactics used or seen in matches.  They should tap those who have written or shown excellent guides/videos on how to play the game for helping to improve basic training so it is more in line with what players will see in the game and let them know that be aware there are players who lose their head and will yell at you for failing to do something and the options of how to handle it.

I will say in a conservative way, I have picked up or have improved in some areas of the game but still have a long way to go.  Sure I hate losing and I hate being out of a match within the first 2 minutes and then sit and wait till the match is over.  Sure winning is fun, sure destroying other tanks solo is fun, doing something that saves another player or helps the team are fun, however there are some matches where you simply won't have the ingredients needed to perform all those fun things and match making plays a key role at times in whether that match had any chance of being fun or just another lopsided match, which of course you don't have fun.

dunniteowl #29 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 14:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

So, that's a "No" to actually understanding the game mechanics in that link.  Got it.

I did say, "I'm a 'You do You' sort."  Good Luck.

OvO

VooDooKobra #30 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 14:56

Major

• Players
  • 10083 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PosttheOG1893, on Oct 01 2019 - 09:49, said:

Is the community really dislike new people? in the Japanese tank you get after the tutorial, its very slow. I find a random battle, and tried following the team but could barely climb a hill on himmelsdorf, and by the time I got up there, the enemy captured the base. After the match, I was harassed byx for being a "reroll" and being reported for not playing. I really did want to shoot at other tanks :( is everyone like that towards new people? Or should I just uninstall now and never look back?

hi and welcome to the game, as had been said before that person is not a representative of the majority of players

as you are just starting out i have a few little words.  do not get discouraged, use the first 5 tiers as a place to try out the different lines to see what you want to play.  US and soviet are both lines i have felt are more forgiving to newer players

as well remember this isnt a sprint to get to tier 10, its more of a marathon so dont rush up the lines.  also look up skills like sidescraping and armor angling as well as the best ways to use your gun depression/be hull down. these skills will help you so much when you get to higher tiers

el_01 #31 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 00:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3777 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post1ST_AD_Abrams, on Oct 21 2019 - 23:15, said:

Sure I want to win but it is important to be able to take defeat as well.  If you only can accept wins then you will have those outbursts against others who are playing the game to have fun, enjoy the competition and to whom winning is not the only reason to play.

I underestimate my skills because that leaves me room for improvement.  If I remember a statement from someone who said you will know you are ready, skills and gear wise is that you can go into a lower tier and own the match.  Now I don't expect to get all the kills on the team, top gun, high caliber and so on, wishful thinking.  I also base my skill estimation based on can I beat almost all the tanks in the game when fighting a matched (like tier 5 vs tier 5, ht vs ht) player (ignoring the rankings/ratings of WOT).

You used the monopoly example.  Sure I need to understand the rules by which govern the game.  I don't or haven't yet read anything on how to win at monopoly (in terms of strategies or tactics), I mean once you read the rules you have a basic understanding.  However learning to play something else whether a board game, a computer game, a real sport will vary based on the complexity of the rules (and I have never tried to learn cribbage and I still don't honestly know how to play Chess at the basic level)  Learning the game rules differs from being able to implement skills to overcome you fellow players takes time and practice.

I hope to do more study on this game.  However I believe in the OJT, on the job training can sometimes be helpful.  Almost any game I have played, mostly solo games, I play the game without reading the rules (sure I get clobbered) but I learn things about how the game works or plays when I explore a feature or why don't I have that item/size/bonus or whatever.  Of course WoT doesn't really allow for OJT especially if you have a skilled player show up in your Tier 2 match, which is an area I wish WOT would address.  In addition if you don't act like a player wants you to, you get yelled at, no matter how many videos/faq's/tips/etc you have read.  You still need the skill to implement what you read.  After all I can follow and read the guides on LT in terms of taking down a hvy tank or TD with no turret however I need to be able to have the skills and ability to put what I learned into action.

Sadly the boot camp phase of the game is something I am sure most new players might coast through with almost no problems as there is no death penalty in most of those missions and then assume they are ready to play against others and get a rude awakening.  Perhaps those who have leverage or a foot in the door with Wargaming.net would encourage them to extend basic training to address tactics, what each tank type should be doing based on the current tactics used or seen in matches.  They should tap those who have written or shown excellent guides/videos on how to play the game for helping to improve basic training so it is more in line with what players will see in the game and let them know that be aware there are players who lose their head and will yell at you for failing to do something and the options of how to handle it.

I will say in a conservative way, I have picked up or have improved in some areas of the game but still have a long way to go.  Sure I hate losing and I hate being out of a match within the first 2 minutes and then sit and wait till the match is over.  Sure winning is fun, sure destroying other tanks solo is fun, doing something that saves another player or helps the team are fun, however there are some matches where you simply won't have the ingredients needed to perform all those fun things and match making plays a key role at times in whether that match had any chance of being fun or just another lopsided match, which of course you don't have fun.

Sorry if I'm being an annoying bugger, but what is the point of this post? 

Also, I'm rather pessimistic, but really? What? So you give up every time you see a tank you think you can't win against? There's something to be said for choosing engagements, but just giving up? Eh?

OJT thing: OK. Seal clubbers are just OK, though, since they're usually mediocre players at higher tiers who can hide behind stupid tanks at low tiers. So what if you run into seal clubbers? There are literally at least 14 other enemies for you to pick on. Also, the idea is that randoms is where you TRY to implement things that you're learning. Really, World of Tanks on its own isn't a difficult game to play. Going hull down doesn't require much brain utilisation, you just find a ridge and sit there. Positioning and plays to make are difficult, but you cannot get a guide that will tell you how to make EVERY play. It's not the guide's fault that the play didn't work, it's your miscalculation. I do it too. The plays that you make cannot be taught to you. Even unicums can't agree on what plays are the best to make. LemmingRush plays his light tanks differently than Taugrim does, because they've had different experiences with what works. They can give you some assistance as to what plays usually work, but don't expect to magically get the results they do if you just do what they do. No. Every battle is different. Listen to why, now how. Therefore, it follows that your play style should be based on what works for YOU. Try some unicum tactics out, see what works, see what doesn't, and keep those in mind.

Underestimation of skills is a bad habit, not because being a pessimist is bad, but because it immediately creates a negative feedback loop. You CANNOT fight players at your skill level at every battle. Skill-based MM advocates can start screeching now, but even then, people who overestimate their skills and try hard will progress. In Randoms, though, it causes a negative feedback loop. The idea is that because you think you're horrible you therefore don't really pay attention to being bad which makes you think every battle can't be won which makes you try less and so on.

The only reason why I'm sure most of the people here aren't tomatoes is because they realized that sometimes it's good to push yourself to the limit, for the longer you're at the limit, the more you adapt to it.

To "there are matches where you simply won't have the ingredients to perform those fun things". Eh? What? Every match will give you a designated map that you can study, tanks of classes that you can predict where they will go, and the same positions if you're active in using them. Sure, there are games where your team can't do anything and you will be influenced by it, but it's your game. You're in control. You are the person who controls the ingredients in the first place. If your position depends too much on the enemy driving in front of your gun, it's your positioning mistake. You can't blame the matchmaker or anything like that for your lack of damage when it's YOU that caused it. 

Overall, sorry if I sound harsh, but you've got your head shoved far into the sand. You're trying to continuously come up with excuses as to why you can't improve and all that when really all you need to do is actually improve. How? Varies by person, which is why I didn't include it. Why? People vary. For me, I thought hard about the game, played hard, pushed myself, repeat. If you don't have fun that way, OK. Just don't complain about your lack of stats increase. The game isn't going to deliver it to you. I've been at this point before. I've been called a bot, a noob, a r-word, and more for how I've played the game. I made excuses for myself, but since I'm pathetic in that regard, they didn't work. Eventually, I realized that the game wasn't fun if I wasn't good. Progress was slow, games where I would just rush out and die or sit their and do nothing were getting old, and I decided that I had to do something about it.

Go play some Russian tanks, or actually good tanks. Don't complain about Russian bias, I used to live under that tinfoil hat as well until I realized that it was stupid and that it interfered with my own improvement.

Edited by el_01, Oct 23 2019 - 00:56.

dunniteowl #32 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 03:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

And READ that linked package.  It WILL help.

OvO

1ST_AD_Abrams #33 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 08:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I said underestimate as I am not one to be cocky about what I can or can't do.  In addition, by setting the bar low, it gives me that chance to do better, whether winning a game, destroying a ht with a lt, or whatever, it can serve as a motivation for some.  My point on this is that I don't look at who I think I can own, I look at every team I play against as having better players than me, so I can't make dumb mistakes (well try not) as they will jump at any stupid moves I make.  When I played soccer even at the college level I have always looked at the other team and think, they are better and I am going to have to do better to beat them, it worked in soccer for me and I never got burnt because I thought I can beat anyone of them.  As I said it works in some places.  In the military I had to think I was superior to them as that is part of which gives you the morale and courage to do things beyond what you think you can do but also tempers trying to win medals (hopefully this came out in the manner I wanted to).

Will I ever be a game changer, who knows, just have to play each match the very best I can and if I do that then I achieved my own internal goals.  Sizing up your opponent allows you to decide just what you will need to be able to beat them.

When I was responding to this topic, I was just trying to provide my experience as a new player and to encourage them if they can to stay through those tough lower tiers and the toxic chat in game you will get.

There is a limit for improvement.  It depends on time, real life and in some way your age.  I am going to make an assumption in this sentence that a 16 yr old will usually be a better player in the long run than a person who is 35 yrs old.  Yes 35, 38, 40 year old players could be top class it is just that you would expect the 16 yr old has had more game exposure in terms of developing skills while those in the 30's, 40's, 50's will, since computer games have evolved and so that 16 yr old might have been the fast pace games at a younger age.  If you look at the e-sports leagues you might see some upper 20's but most are in that 16-25 age category (no I don't have the actual numbers so this is an educated guess).  A game like this with the clans, you will have all ages in the clan (of course depending on what the clan decides is the player type they want) as this isn't an e-sport where there is money and prizes of value to win.

I want to always strive to improve, I just try to be realistic about just how far I can improve.  I don't consider underestimating as a negative feedback loop but tells me to try my best and if I lose, then the person was a better player and/or I made dumb mistakes that I can see in the replay or in the game when I make it.  So you can say we agree to disagree.

dunniteowl #34 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 15:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I am 59, 1st_AD_Abrams.

I have been in the military, have worked on an Atom Smasher (Stanford Linear Accelerator) computing system, worked for the BIG THREE in computing here in the US (IBM, AMD, Intel) and have also had MANY a workaday, lowly laborer job, shoe sales, retail clerking, janitor, zookeeper and oh so many others that are not really worth mentioning and the ONLY thing that is always the same in all of that was me.

This game is the very same thing.  Look, if you don't think you can, then you don't think you can.  However, if you do not take your own fate into your own hands in this game by LEARNING the game mechanics, you, at your number of battles and apparent skill level at this point, will not go any higher very soon.

Again, let me point this out:

People, such as yourself, who 'value' their free time in gaming are selling yourselves SHORT on information by NOT READING those materials.  

You countered the Monopoly thing, but it's EXACTLY THE SAME.   If you truly VALUE YOUR GAMING TIME, then you would be SMART ENOUGH TO REALIZE that learning the rules is part and parcel of any game and NO TACTICS, STRATEGIES and GUIDES on HOW TO DO WHATEVER is going to allow you to improve the level of FUN you can get out of the game, because you have to know WHY you do those tricks, tips and techniques.

If you truly value your gaming time and enjoy it, then wouldn't you INVEST YOUR TIME into playing better?  You cannot, simply cannot, play better if you do not understand the game mechanics as explained in that package.  You just WON'T DO IT, because you would lack the necessary understanding of the way things work to know what you're actually doing.

And I'd say you are proving that to be true.

The mental methods by which we convince ourselves that we can do things are varied and sometimes hard to pin down.  That said, ALL of those methods WILL BENEFIT FROM KNOWLEDGE APPLIED.  Even your methods.

If you truly wish to own your play, then you have to accept the outcome of your ideas.  Right now, it's around 44% of the time as successful.  And it was lower before, so you ARE IMPROVING.  Your improvement rate is up to you.  Just as it is for the OP.

Yes, the topic began about people in the game being unhelpful.  We all responded with help and advice for the OP and for you, because we ARE OFFERING YOU HELP to IMPROVE.  The reason many of us are loathe to 'let go' of providing that advice is BECAUSE WE WISH FOR YOU TO IMPROVE.  Winning more often IS MORE FUN.  Surviving more often IS MORE FUN.  Getting out there and doing serious work that says, "You Carried, that time," IS MORE FUN.

There is no qualitative or quantitative argument anyone can make that can convince you that Winning, Surviving and Damaging more often is not more fun.  We all inherently understand that being better at something, seeing yourself improve, is MORE FUN than not seeing that happen.  It's just a basic truth of human nature.  Just as is making excuses for why something cannot, should not, or will not be done.  It's an internal struggle to overcome our own mental limitations of habit and thinking to improve our awareness, comprehension and knowledge of those things in which we endeavor.

This is just as true for business operations, scientific study, learning an instrument, playing a game or engaging in lively and spirited conversation.  The better you are at things, the more enjoyable and comfortable those things become.

Please don't take this as a rebuke or something you have to 'argue' against to have your way.  I am, as I said, "A You do You," sort.  That said, you keep coming up with pretty detailed 'explanations' for why you won't take that little step and read a bit to learn better how to play.  So I speak to that voice in your responses at this time.  That 'voice' that comes out in your responses tells me that you are resistant to the idea of taking that time.  I honestly and sincerely believe, as I first said in this matter, "You are selling yourself short."  All it takes is five to ten minutes of your time, just a few times a week, to just LEARN stuff and then use that knowledge to apply to your gaming.  It isn't really that hard or time consuming.

And, while the instructions do NOT fit on the back of the game box, like Monopoly, Sorry or Aggravation, they are relatively easy to understand and have all sorts of good visual cues in the process.  I do encourage you to CHANGE YOUR MIND about this.  I believe, honestly, that if you did take that time, you'd find that, in very short order, you're doing much better at the game.  And, at that point, I'd be willing to wager that you'd be having a ton more fun as well.

I know, that before I did what I suggest to you, I was ready to quit the game out of frustration.  And I was already playing better than you are now, even so, I felt like I totally sucked at the game.  Well, now I don't totally suck at the game.  I'm actually slightly above average.

I have all manner of strikes against me.  Older player, OLD LAPTOP (made in 2010) with a Wireless Mouse and Wireless Rural Internet that does NOT provide a constantly stable connection and shared RAM with my OS and Video Chip of 6GB, which is tiny in today's computing world.  I play on SD lowest possible quality settings and get 11 fps on the regular.  Sometimes as low as 6 fps (when I get a bird flying by my antenna or it rains a bit) and with all that going on, I still can manage a relatively steady 53/54%  WR most days.

It's not because I'm awesome (even though at times I might think I'm pretty amazing here and there), not by a long shot.  It's because I know the rules of the game and that allows me to take advantage of others who do not, even at those speeds.  Even at those speeds I am not usually an easy kill, because I know the game mechanics and use them accordingly to provide me as much leverage as I can to overcome all those technical limits imposed by my situation.

You'll notice, in all that, that I am not making excuses for my lack of success or failures.  I do screw up and make mistakes -- plenty of them.  And that is the reason I can do as well as I do.  I took that valued gaming time and applied it directly to being better at the game through a bit of reading and study.  As a result, my gaming time became MUCH RICHER and MORE REWARDING for me.

Yes, yes, I won more, I did more damage and I lived longer than before.  Most importantly, though, I HAD MORE FUN and CONTINUE TO HAVE IT, because I took the time to purposely pay attention to the game -- that included learning HOW IT WORKS.

People, like the OP, are concerned that there are too many mean people out there and that the community is not helpful.  We, I believe, have allayed those concerns on the whole.  Thus, now it comes down to:  How much "HELP" are you willing to provide yourself?  It's right there in that link.  It WILL help.

And, lucky you, I only gave you in that package what I KNOW will help and what I KNOW is:

Easy to Understand

Clear

Helpful and Relevant to New and/or Struggling to Improve Players.

I spent a LOT of time reading (and, at the time, I didn't have a computer that would play WoT, as mine died) and learning what information is out there and what information is actually USEFUL to New and Struggling to Improve Players.  There is NOTHING useless in that package and none of it is hard to figure out.  I purposely ONLY placed stuff in there that WILL ABSOLUTELY HELP YOU IF YOU USE IT.

That's a freaking PROMISE I can make without reservation or qualification.  If you can WASD and use the Mouse, read at an 8th grade level or better and have the ability to use your opposable thumbs in concert with the other fingers of each hand, this stuff will help.  Period.

This is the last I will say on this.  Recognize that this is an appeal to your higher reason.  Taking the time to learn WILL HELP you have MORE FUN.  I promise.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Oct 23 2019 - 15:39.

Peak_Bagger #35 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 15:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20108 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

Good posts, 1st AD Abrams, they're honest and insightful. You will find that your objectives and approach in this game evolve. While you might not currently be interested in watching videos and reading about the game to improve your stats, you might start finding that stuff interesting as well. I didn't start really trying to improve my stats until I hit about 5,000 games. And it was only in the last year or so that I started looking at videos to improve. The idea of watching others play a video game rather than playing the game myself seemed insane. But I enjoy watching good tanking videos now. And while I'll never be a good player, I do enjoy getting better. Stats simply provide an objective measure for this.

Oh, and about the age thing, you'd be surprised at the ages of some of the very, very good players in this game. This game really rewards strategic thinking over reflexes. Age is largely irrelevant in this game.

Good luck and keep having fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users