Personal Improvement

It is possible

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

cloudwalkr #1 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 02:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

I decided to come and make this thread this evening for a few different reasons.  

1)  I've seen a lot of threads lately claiming the game is rigged or that personal skill or effort makes no difference in wins or progression.  

2) To give a little props to a friend of mine I've been helping with the game.  He's improving by leaps and bounds and I think it's awesome.  He will know who he is if he sees this thread.

3) To highlight that even a "tomato"  has the right to play this game and even they can improve.  It's just a matter of them getting a little help and effort.

4) Highlight (at serious risk of thread derailment) that if we had a SBMM then this player would soon begin being punished for their improvement.  

So here it is:

lErUcmY.pngSo at a quick glance you can see that this player has increased his recent by over 200 and his most recent bordering on 1k wn8.  He is starting to be able to carry closer and closer to a 50% w/r and with some buddies has been hitting well above that.

I've had several 80% sessions with him.  You can see his survival rate is up 2% and honestly will continue to rise from there.  His kill ratio is steadily improving and his awareness is on point.  

Again, Im highlighting this player because they have put forth the effort to reach out and get some advice and help and are soaking any info I have for them up like a sponge and turning it into action.  I wish more would do this because a lot of higher level players don't mind at all about giving some advice or even running training rooms with people to help progress.  This player shows up with a positive attitude and is a pleasure to be around.  Never any blame on others but more "what can I do"...and that's the winning formula.

If you are having trouble with the game and truly want to improve but just can't seem to "figure it out" then, please, don't turn to the "game is rigged" or some of the other nonsense you will see constantly posted on this forum by well know forum goers who only ever complain and have plateaued skill wise so look for any reason why they can't improve.  Dont fall into this trap.  Instead, reach out to that player with a "hey man, saw you were a good player and just had a question or need some advice" and I would almost bet that 9/10 high rated players would at least answer your question and a lot of them will spend time with you working on skills.  

It's never to late to improve, it's up to you.  This player is a shinning example of how just a little effort can be incredibly rewarding.  They are having more fun now because they are doing more in matches, getting more kills, more dmg...more wins.

I would PLEASE ask that if you do decide to post in this thread to not try and derail it or start some major argument.  This thread wasn't created for those people, it was created for the ones out there looking to get better and wondering if it's possible.  It is.

To the owner of this account, it's been an awesome pleasure man.  I wish more were like you.

HeraldricKnight #2 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 02:53

Captain

• Players
  • 8751 battles
Wish I could say the same from playing all the Tier VIII lights, but being dependent on your team to shoot straight is asking too much apparently. 

cloudwalkr #3 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 02:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

View PostHeraldricKnight, on Oct 09 2019 - 02:53, said:

Wish I could say the same from playing all the Tier VIII lights, but being dependent on your team to shoot straight is asking too much apparently. 

So a common trap that some fall into is going out and just lighting the enemy...when their team isn't able to fire at them.  If you find that nobody is shooting what you're lighting then double check and make sure the target is in a place that can be shot and that you have allies in positions to shoot and they aren't currently attacking/being attacked.

It's a finesse  kind of thing.  You get early lights for team intel and then based on that deployment you try and light for your teammates.  It's certainly not the easiest thing and can be very frustrating when you have the entire enemy team lit and it feels like nobody is shooting them.

Edited by cloudwalkr, Oct 09 2019 - 03:07.

HeraldricKnight #4 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 03:15

Captain

• Players
  • 8751 battles

If I ran from anything then I would get nothing but the hysterical Tank Destroyers whining about reporting me because I left the advanced spot.

cloudwalkr #5 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 03:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

View PostHeraldricKnight, on Oct 09 2019 - 03:15, said:

If I ran from anything then I would get nothing but the hysterical Tank Destroyers whining about reporting me because I left the advanced spot.

First rule of scouting - don't really listen to the people raging about a scout not doing anything.  That's not to say never listen to anyone.  The TD's in the back yelling and screaming probably aren't up forward enough to shoot anything anyway.  When I play my scouts, and I love scouts, I play my game.  I read the enemy lineup, decide where I want to go for early lights (or to counter enemy lights if I need) and then I will think about where to post up or be active.  I do this based on where my team is but one thing I rarely ever do is actually listen to what my team is asking me to scout.  Again, this is a VERY thin line and you must be good at listening to people who have a clue.  For example if Im in a game and its mid game and I need something scouted then I may say to the light "need a scout here pls" or "rdy to fire if lit" and ping the map once or twice.  But if someone is in the back yelling at me (and trust me, it happens a lot.  I'm shot by friendlies...pushed out by friendlies...you name it and it's primarily because they just dont understand what Im actually doing in my scout) then they are not the one to listen to.  Listen to the medium or heavy up front or on the flank asking for a light or for an area to be spotted.  And NEVER suiscout just because friendlies are pinging you on the map.  If someone is spamming me...welcome to my ignore.  I play my scout in any way I see fit to win the match.  Hope this helped a little.

tanopasman62 #6 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 03:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 21375 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

View PostHeraldricKnight, on Oct 09 2019 - 03:15, said:

I usually go, lit some tanks up and turn back, if I get assist damage then I go back and keep them lit, if I don't, I move somewhere else.

Making sure you have teammates to shoot at the stuff you spot is also important, otherwise you're just going there to get yourself killed.

InfinityGamer #7 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 13:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34945 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
Good job. It's very satisfying watching the improvement of someone you're helping.

Major_Duke #8 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 14:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11393 battles
  • [B-T-G] B-T-G

Hi, thanks for this post.  What would you say are the 3 top tips that you have given this person you are helping? 

I'm kinda in the same position, almost 10,000 battles and I'm not improving much at this point and don't know how to, thanks!

TripleDELUXExGAMER #9 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 14:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4987 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
This should be common sense, but that isn’t so common if you look at these forums. 

SporkBoy #10 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 16:06

Major

• Players
  • 48888 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Simplest thing to do to get better results is platoon and focus fire - watch the wins roll in. However, there is more to getting better than just winning more.

cloudwalkr #11 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 16:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

View PostMajor_Duke, on Oct 09 2019 - 14:03, said:

Hi, thanks for this post.  What would you say are the 3 top tips that you have given this person you are helping? 

I'm kinda in the same position, almost 10,000 battles and I'm not improving much at this point and don't know how to, thanks!

First we worked on vision mechanics and learned EXACTLY how spotting works and how to abuse it.  This included bush mechanics and practice with staying unlit while firing from them.

Second was side scraping and learning how to line up your tank correctly.

3rd is overall basic map positioning and my personal take on several maps in the game.

PM me and we'll get you involved if you're interested.  

Thanks for the positive replies guys.  

cloudwalkr #12 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 16:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

View PostTripleDELUXExGAMER, on Oct 09 2019 - 14:03, said:

This should be common sense, but that isn’t so common if you look at these forums. 

You ever had anyone tell you something and you were like "omg I can't believe I didnt realize this already!".  That's basically whats happening with a lot of these people I'm helping out right now.  They just needed a little guidance and bam...they get it.  Then with just a little practice they have been easily picking it up.  So, for some, sure...some of this is basic common sense (especially if you play many other multiplayer games where use of cover and relocation tactics are used) but a lot of the player base are a little older and don't really "game" so they don't really put experience learned from other games into practice in this one.  Basically, they just need someone to be like "look, this is how it works and this is what you do" and they are generally good to go.

The ones that I do not work with and won't bother wasting my time with are the ones that cry rigged game or blame everything under the sun for their losses.  Those people have no common sense imo.

Peak_Bagger #13 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 16:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20019 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

View Postcloudwalkr, on Oct 09 2019 - 03:24, said:

First rule of scouting - don't really listen to the people raging about a scout not doing anything.  That's not to say never listen to anyone.  The TD's in the back yelling and screaming probably aren't up forward enough to shoot anything anyway.  When I play my scouts, and I love scouts, I play my game.  I read the enemy lineup, decide where I want to go for early lights (or to counter enemy lights if I need) and then I will think about where to post up or be active.  I do this based on where my team is but one thing I rarely ever do is actually listen to what my team is asking me to scout.  Again, this is a VERY thin line and you must be good at listening to people who have a clue.  For example if Im in a game and its mid game and I need something scouted then I may say to the light "need a scout here pls" or "rdy to fire if lit" and ping the map once or twice.  But if someone is in the back yelling at me (and trust me, it happens a lot.  I'm shot by friendlies...pushed out by friendlies...you name it and it's primarily because they just dont understand what Im actually doing in my scout) then they are not the one to listen to.  Listen to the medium or heavy up front or on the flank asking for a light or for an area to be spotted.  And NEVER suiscout just because friendlies are pinging you on the map.  If someone is spamming me...welcome to my ignore.  I play my scout in any way I see fit to win the match.  Hope this helped a little.

Great thread, Cloudwalkr, and kudos to you for helping this tanker and others with your sessions! And I find this follow-up particularly relevant for me. I really, really try not to listen to the stupids when playing scouts. Usually, I successfully ignore them, but l sometimes do stupid things at their prompting. I'm getting better, though. Occasionally, I'll try something a little different than the "standard play" I a scout and will face chat abuse. It's fun when trying something different works out. 

cloudwalkr #14 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 17:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56350 battles

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Oct 09 2019 - 16:43, said:

Great thread, Cloudwalkr, and kudos to you for helping this tanker and others with your sessions! And I find this follow-up particularly relevant for me. I really, really try not to listen to the stupids when playing scouts. Usually, I successfully ignore them, but l sometimes do stupid things at their prompting. I'm getting better, though. Occasionally, I'll try something a little different than the "standard play" I a scout and will face chat abuse. It's fun when trying something different works out. 

It's a very fine line.  You need to be a team player as the scout, but most people in game pinging the map like crazy don't play scouts so don't fully understand what a scout can or can't do...so it's a skill in itself on learning who to work with and listen to when they call for a scout.  Pretty much if you're ping spamming me or yelling at me then I'm putting you on ignore and playing my game out.  If you're asking in a somewhat adult way, then I will evaluate what you're asking and decide if I even think it's possible for me to do it and live.  Being a good scout player is tough. 

I love scouts, so if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.  I might be able to give some pointers.

Norseskald #15 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 19:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22292 battles
  • [SKALD] SKALD

View Postcloudwalkr, on Oct 09 2019 - 02:46, said:

I decided to come and make this thread this evening for a few different reasons.  

1)  I've seen a lot of threads lately claiming the game is rigged or that personal skill or effort makes no difference in wins or progression.  

2) To give a little props to a friend of mine I've been helping with the game.  He's improving by leaps and bounds and I think it's awesome.  He will know who he is if he sees this thread.

3) To highlight that even a "tomato"  has the right to play this game and even they can improve.  It's just a matter of them getting a little help and effort.

4) Highlight (at serious risk of thread derailment) that if we had a SBMM then this player would soon begin being punished for their improvement.  

So here it is:

lErUcmY.pngSo at a quick glance you can see that this player has increased his recent by over 200 and his most recent bordering on 1k wn8.  He is starting to be able to carry closer and closer to a 50% w/r and with some buddies has been hitting well above that.

I've had several 80% sessions with him.  You can see his survival rate is up 2% and honestly will continue to rise from there.  His kill ratio is steadily improving and his awareness is on point.  

Again, Im highlighting this player because they have put forth the effort to reach out and get some advice and help and are soaking any info I have for them up like a sponge and turning it into action.  I wish more would do this because a lot of higher level players don't mind at all about giving some advice or even running training rooms with people to help progress.  This player shows up with a positive attitude and is a pleasure to be around.  Never any blame on others but more "what can I do"...and that's the winning formula.

If you are having trouble with the game and truly want to improve but just can't seem to "figure it out" then, please, don't turn to the "game is rigged" or some of the other nonsense you will see constantly posted on this forum by well know forum goers who only ever complain and have plateaued skill wise so look for any reason why they can't improve.  Dont fall into this trap.  Instead, reach out to that player with a "hey man, saw you were a good player and just had a question or need some advice" and I would almost bet that 9/10 high rated players would at least answer your question and a lot of them will spend time with you working on skills.  

It's never to late to improve, it's up to you.  This player is a shinning example of how just a little effort can be incredibly rewarding.  They are having more fun now because they are doing more in matches, getting more kills, more dmg...more wins.

I would PLEASE ask that if you do decide to post in this thread to not try and derail it or start some major argument.  This thread wasn't created for those people, it was created for the ones out there looking to get better and wondering if it's possible.  It is.

To the owner of this account, it's been an awesome pleasure man.  I wish more were like you.

see the problem with this and wn8 in its self, it only takes you a day to lose a weeks worth of positive.

Boghie #16 Posted Oct 14 2019 - 23:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8725 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostNorseskald, on Oct 09 2019 - 13:33, said:

see the problem with this and wn8 in its self, it only takes you a day to lose a weeks worth of positive.

Someone pointed this thread out to me - those stats kinda look familiar as of Tuesday, 2019/10/08...

But, they are being fixed to their 'proper' level one day at a time starting with a bone stock Churchill I and Panther I.  You gotta take advantage of that crew retraining sale - don't you:unsure:.  Geez, that Churchill I, Churchill VII, and Black Prince are going to be a joy for a LT/MT player!!!  However, the Super Conq is light at the end of that tunnel.  And, what a light it is.  Me want.  And, the E50 follows the Panther and Panther II.  With an On-Track.  Me want.

By the way, I'm sitting on 378,500 in FreeXP.  Real men stock grind:medal:

Badkarma #17 Posted Oct 14 2019 - 23:52

Captain

• Players
  • 32244 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Postcloudwalkr, on Oct 09 2019 - 16:38, said:

You ever had anyone tell you something and you were like "omg I can't believe I didnt realize this already!".  That's basically whats happening with a lot of these people I'm helping out right now.  They just needed a little guidance and bam...they get it.  Then with just a little practice they have been easily picking it up.  So, for some, sure...some of this is basic common sense (especially if you play many other multiplayer games where use of cover and relocation tactics are used) but a lot of the player base are a little older and don't really "game" so they don't really put experience learned from other games into practice in this one.  Basically, they just need someone to be like "look, this is how it works and this is what you do" and they are generally good to go.

The ones that I do not work with and won't bother wasting my time with are the ones that cry rigged game or blame everything under the sun for their losses.  Those people have no common sense imo.

Wow, you were much kinder than I was going to be for that D-bag response from Triple, good on you, this should give a lot of us baddies hope. I know who's fault my current status is..mine and nobody else's.

Vulcan_Spectre #18 Posted Oct 15 2019 - 00:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5560 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
It's hard to fix your overall stats, but it's easier (and more relevant) to care about your recent stats

deathman254 #19 Posted Oct 15 2019 - 00:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20509 battles
  • [LARRY] LARRY
I have to admit, that it is true that if you ask a good player 9/10 they will help ya. I was in a match long ago with a platoon from SIMP, they were calling us all sorts of names for playing poorly that I gave in and told them "If you are so good, then why don't you teach me what I am doing wrong!" I ended up platooning with the 2 of them for a few hours and learning the basics of minimap reading, where to position/good initial positions. At the end, we ended up friending each other. I took the time to say something and they took the time to help. This was 3 years ago maybe ? I think one of their usernames was Psmurf, not naming and shaming. If you are reading this Psmurf, thanks for the help from so long ago.

Boghie #20 Posted Oct 15 2019 - 02:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8725 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Uh, the Churchill I should have destroyed CloudWalkr's confidence in me.  I figured my confidence would take a few years to recover.  But, then THIS happened:

Yup, my FIRST Radley-Walters and Kolobanov's - in the damn Churchill I.  OMG

There were A LOT of Muppet Moments - but, there was goodness as well.  The player I was most concerned about was the one in the M10 Wolverine.  I had been either on his team or against him all night.  He is awesome.  And, I never saw him till he started capping me.  Just think, a Churchill I that both 'defended the cap' and then took theirs.

Also tagged with It, is, possible

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users