[ST] Dual Barreled Soviets

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

GeorgePreddy #21 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 03:18

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Postjinxers65, on Oct 11 2019 - 20:53, said:

quick, somebody scribble down a American tank on a napkin somewhere with a 122mm belt fed gun that can put out around 60 rounds per minute.

And if someone does that, what will they have?   A soiled napkin.           :B

Avalon304 #22 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 06:08

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postjinxers65, on Oct 11 2019 - 16:53, said:

quick, somebody scribble down a American tank on a napkin somewhere with a 122mm belt fed gun that can put out around 60 rounds per minute. About as realistic as these fantasy land soviets. Seems like if there is ONE branch that is OP already it is the soviet branch. In reality that branch seemed to litter the whole desert in Iraq with their burning hulks. Whats next, soviet hover tanks??? Lets tune the science fiction back a little please. 

I mean the ST-II was an actual blueprint. It was part of the design process for the ST-I. The others? I dont know... I  dont see it as being impossible, considering the ST-II wasnt the first tank that the USSR thought up with multiple guns in a single turret.

CaptSpaulding55 #23 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 19:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34255 battles
Move along players-no Russian bias to be seen here.

GanxstaBunny #24 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 22:59

Private

• Players
  • 34189 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-

Too much make believe and shows lack of seriousness for the future direction of this game product.

There are few reasons why no such tanks should be allowed  

1.recoil would wreck the turret ring if it worked the way this clownish idea looks

2.You couldn't carry enough ammo with a second gun and if you did these tanks would be HUGE.  

3.tank guns have enough fire power with one gun to destroy a tank, two guns is just economical fantasy and overkill

4. even today with the technology we have, there are no double barrel tanks...wonder why?  So why would a game based in mid 20th century tech try to say " it could happen"

I know that here are lots of tanks in the game that never existed, But just cause some crack pot drew a tank on napkin doesn't mean it was a legit plan and should be incorporated.  WG stop drawing on napkins!

The point in nerfing arty was to reduce single shot kills and balance game play but now WG wants to throw that out the window with this project.

Why doesn't WG just make another game and make it a Sci Fi tank game because thats what is happening here.  We have wheeled vehicles that just drive around fast, circle units and take hits from main tank rounds with no apparent affects.   I've watched LOTS of documented footage of armor and Lt vehicle engagements, I've never seen anything close to what this game presents .  Double barreled tanks, come on!? thats just more ridiculous too.

I liked this game for its somewhat historical base, but now its just getting dumb and arcade like.  While I do understand the need for play-ability and balancing there comes a point where you just have to accept that perhaps its ridiculous concept like these that causes the issues.

Bring in more maps and revamp old ones.   Maybe create elements like rain, fog, or night battles.  Work on the content not unrealistic fantasy.\

Ganxsta 

HeliusOD #25 Posted Oct 12 2019 - 23:50

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 8613 battles
At first i was like cool the lee and other tanks with multiple guns will be able to fire both guns like in War Thunder, Then i watch the "Promo" video of an IS type with 2 gun barrels.  Fire one gun with a delay in firing the second or fire both and wait before it even begins to reload. Since that second gun is going to massively cut down on ammo storage, not to mention the extra weight is The ST-2 going have a less ammo and be considerably slower then its ST-1 equivalent? 

Rolling_Pig #26 Posted Oct 13 2019 - 00:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19216 battles
  • [T-D-W] T-D-W

Just another reason to stop playing wot... Probably the same 12 year old game developer that decided it was a good idea to put 90 mph wheeled tanks in the game that cannot be tracked....  After 7 years playing this game its time to find another

ArcticTankHunter #27 Posted Oct 13 2019 - 22:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16680 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V
If WG does this they have to make all current extra barrel tanks to be active like Warthunder! Could you imagine AT8-AT7 & Centurion Mk1 20mm cannon working against circling scouts. Juicy targets. :trollface:

Edited by ArcticTankHunter, Oct 13 2019 - 22:51.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #28 Posted Oct 13 2019 - 22:53

Captain

• Players
  • 29264 battles
  • [LOYAL] LOYAL
Its funny, that video did not seem any different than the first one.

Mikosah #29 Posted Oct 14 2019 - 00:37

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Oct 11 2019 - 17:01, said:

No. But when the main feature of your tank is "it has TWO GUNS" then you should probably do something make it unique. If all youre going to do is make it a two shot auto-reloader the "TWO GUNS" part doesnt matter...

As for balancing the guns: they seem to have reasonably accomplished that already. Both the IS-3-II and ST-II are reasonably balanced already. They have average cyclical DPM (the IS-3-II is at 2.1k and the ST-II is at something like 2.3k), super below average Dual-Shot DPM (the IS-3-II has 1,5k and the ST-II has 1.8k) and a Burst DPM somewhere in the middle. Their armor, for the tiers they reside in is not better or worse than anything else in the tier (the IS-3-II is an IS-3 hull with 20mm more armor on the front, yet no better sloped and the ST-II is literally and ST-I hull at tier 10). The penetration of their guns is average for tier. Their speed is heavy tank speeds with heavy tank power to weight ratios. Their health is average for their tiers.

The stats shown above are balanced, reasonably so given the game theyre going into. So I dont see how its "insanely hard" to balance them when they already are balanced. It would actually be harder to balance a tank that only fire 2 shells at a time, because it would either have bad DPM (like they currently do when firing both barrels) or their alpha would be half as much as every other heavy tank at tier, at which point theyre basically just single barreled tanks, where their damage is split across two shells. What we are getting is something actually unique, that gives varied options instead of just one.

That's the thing though, they never needed to start blowing trumpets, scattering confetti, and announcing that they now have this amazing newtm mechanic and therefore should implement it into another tech tree line. The only tank that warranted it was the ST-II, which could have been added with the earlier MTLS simultaneous shot mechanic (or a doublet burst, or a 2-shot autoloader, or any of the alternatives) several years ago.

Whether or not the current version of the mechanic is properly balanced or fun to have around is still debatable. The real problem is that what should have been an extremely quick and simple exercise in making one odd tank fit in has become a lengthy, bloated, counterintuitive, overthought mess of how to conjure a tech tree line out of thin air to justify the time and effort wasted on account of the one tank that was actually worth adding.

Avalon304 #30 Posted Oct 14 2019 - 08:45

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostMikosah, on Oct 13 2019 - 16:37, said:

That's the thing though, they never needed to start blowing trumpets, scattering confetti, and announcing that they now have this amazing newtm mechanic and therefore should implement it into another tech tree line. The only tank that warranted it was the ST-II, which could have been added with the earlier MTLS simultaneous shot mechanic (or a doublet burst, or a 2-shot autoloader, or any of the alternatives) several years ago.

Whether or not the current version of the mechanic is properly balanced or fun to have around is still debatable. The real problem is that what should have been an extremely quick and simple exercise in making one odd tank fit in has become a lengthy, bloated, counterintuitive, overthought mess of how to conjure a tech tree line out of thin air to justify the time and effort wasted on account of the one tank that was actually worth adding.

Making one odd tank isnt worth the effort. I dont know whats so hard to grasp about that. And making it or any of them function like the MTLS would have just been an unsatisfying way to implement any dual gun tanks, given that its already unsatisfying on the MTLS. The MTLS may as well not be a dual gunned tank, the shells come from one gun and its otherwise just an autoloader.

Its currently appearing very well balanced and it'll be no less fun than every other high alpha heavy tank.

Yes, this was not only a measure in adding actual new tangible content to the game but a new way to monetize it. Welcome to being a for profit company.

ArcticTankHunter #31 Posted Oct 14 2019 - 21:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16680 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V

View PostAvalon304, on Oct 14 2019 - 08:45, said:

Making one odd tank isnt worth the effort. I dont know whats so hard to grasp about that. And making it or any of them function like the MTLS would have just been an unsatisfying way to implement any dual gun tanks, given that its already unsatisfying on the MTLS. The MTLS may as well not be a dual gunned tank, the shells come from one gun and its otherwise just an autoloader.

Its currently appearing very well balanced and it'll be no less fun than every other high alpha heavy tank.

Yes, this was not only a measure in adding actual new tangible content to the game but a new way to monetize it. Welcome to being a for profit company.

If this works, they should do the AT line next. A lot of the AT tanks have 20mm guns which could be auto loaders. AT7 stock gun is a 10 shot 6 pdr auto loader, mix that with thee 20mm. If that works then tanks like M3 Lee should be next. AT tanks can be very balance already just for its slow speed at start. Though the 20mm may not pen high tiers, still do able to non-armoured tanks dumb enough to rush the front of the tank.

http://forum.worldof...at-tanks-added/

Edited by ArcticTankHunter, Oct 14 2019 - 21:29.

Wolf_Jaeger_ #32 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 00:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3341 battles
  • [VPR1] VPR1
Oh great more way OPed Soviet tanks! That's what this game really needed. Freaking Objects wasn't enough, nerfing all the German tanks wasn't enough, weak British light tanks wasn't enough, nope we needed more over armored yet somehow fast, super penetrating Soviet tanks that never existed.  Yep that's balance.  Bad enough that you hit the side of a soviet tank with 80mm armor three times with 240mm penning round that never pens or in some cases just disappears. wth. Don't they give one damn. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users