veteran benefits military military veteran

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

meanieoh #301 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 17:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 7630 battles
  • [SNEKS] SNEKS

IDMe might be US based and totally on the up and up, but I would still be concerned as while they may not be passing any information along to WG, they are flagging to them that you are, were or are a family member of, a US veteran.

This may seem innocuous, but in today's big data world, data about you is collated to create a profile which they can then use to not only target ads at you via social media that you may use (Facebook etc.) and to also use that same information to create fake accounts on these same social media platforms to spread misinformation.

Every US intelligence agency has confirmed that the Russian's used these methods to interfere in our last election, and here we are with a company based in a Russian aligned country offering incentive's to only their US player base who are willing to identify their account information as belonging to that of an active service member, a veteran or a family member of same - a year out from the next election.

Could I be being paranoid? Sure, but that's all way too much of a coincidence for me.

corrado14 #302 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 18:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 68594 battles
Come on WG, time to allow this program for Canadian serving members, veterans and families also. We use a program up here called CFONE to get discounts and it could easily help identify us with you so we can benefit also. https://www.cafconne...ices/CFOne.aspx

KiltedAmerican #303 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 19:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postmeanieoh, on Jan 14 2020 - 11:58, said:

IDMe might be US based and totally on the up and up, but I would still be concerned as while they may not be passing any information along to WG, they are flagging to them that you are, were or are a family member of, a US veteran.

This may seem innocuous, but in today's big data world, data about you is collated to create a profile which they can then use to not only target ads at you via social media that you may use (Facebook etc.) and to also use that same information to create fake accounts on these same social media platforms to spread misinformation.

Every US intelligence agency has confirmed that the Russian's used these methods to interfere in our last election, and here we are with a company based in a Russian aligned country offering incentive's to only their US player base who are willing to identify their account information as belonging to that of an active service member, a veteran or a family member of same - a year out from the next election.

Could I be being paranoid? Sure, but that's all way too much of a coincidence for me.

Security Statement

I've read through the entire thread, and nearly everything that could be said on either side of it has already been said, and some points several times. So, as with all things, it's your decision.

Also, the US Army used SSN on dog tags for more than forty years - a move that I thought was stupid before the first "internet" ever went up.

Even as the Army pursued digital integration, it doggedly ignored the criminal potential in a paper-oriented world.

The Army only recently returned to the use of service numbers, pretty much too late in the current age

Edited by KiltedAmerican, Jan 14 2020 - 21:36.

SykoticTX #304 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 20:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6597 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6

View Postmeanieoh, on Jan 14 2020 - 10:58, said:

ID.me is used by the VA as one of the 3 methods for authentication to use VA services. The other 2 being a MyHealtheVet account (which is going away I believe) and DSLogon (DOD account). Currently on the VA site you cannot even create a new MyHealtheVet account. For new accounts it is only ID.me that is allowed online (I think; DS Logon may sitll be possible online). For a MyHealtheVet Premium account you have to either have an existing DS Logon or ID.me account to verify the MyHealtheVet or you have to do it in person at a VA facility

Just putting this here so you (and others) are aware that ID.me is what the VA is fully moving to. BTW, this is from the VA's own FAQ: https://www.va.gov/sign-in-faq/#what-is-idme

ID.me is a digital identity platform that helps people like you easily prove your identity so you can access advanced online services—while keeping your personal information safe.

ID.me is a trusted VA partner and one of only 4 Single Sign-On providers that meet the U.S. government’s most rigorous requirements for online identity proofing and authentication. ID.me provides the strongest identity verification system available to prevent fraud and identity theft. This service uses bank-grade encryption to keep your personal information safe. And they give you control over which services and businesses can share your information.

ID.me is a Veteran-owned, digital identity platform. Hundreds of well-known private-sector companies (like Verizon, Dell, and Ford) and other government agencies and nonprofits (like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Hiring Our Heroes initiative) have also chosen ID.me to help keep their customers’ personal information safe.

Commodore_Krunk #305 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 21:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16913 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

What is the UPDATE they are referring to today?

C_K

SykoticTX #306 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 22:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6597 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6

View PostCommodore_Krunk, on Jan 14 2020 - 14:54, said:

What is the UPDATE they are referring to today?

C_K

My guess is that the only change is that they removed the huge U.S. tank bundle and replaced it with smaller Russian, U.S., and German bundles. Someone else may have noticed something more though. 

RaynorShyne #307 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 00:10

Captain

• Players
  • 28638 battles
You can purchase the starter pack again

philspamoni #308 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 01:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29141 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View PostDomoSapien, on Oct 10 2019 - 11:43, said:

Today we're pleased to announce our partnership with ID.me and the launch of our Military Veteran & Personnel benefits program: World of Tanks Salute.

Over the years we've been fortunate enough to partner with so many different military and veteran organizations, museums, historical societies; And we've also been fortunate enough to have a truly unique community of players from various backgrounds, including a very significant portion of our community that's made up of active military personnel and veterans. This definitely rings true when we host player gatherings and meet so many of you amazing folks in person.

That said, active military personnel and veterans can verify their military status through ID.me and link with their Wargaming.net ID's to receive additional benefits for World of Tanks, including special battle missions, special bundles, coupons for discounts in the Premium Shop, a free M4A3E8 Thunderbolt and an absolutely awesome Preset Style, "Days of Glory" that fits on any US vehicle.

For all the details, please check out the article on our news portal or watch the video below.

Or you can head directly over to https://worldoftanks.com/salute

For some additional Help with verifying your/ family member status. 

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/wot-salute-program-announcement/

Hey Dom, You should change that very first line to "America Only" Military Veteran &...

As an ex RCR I find this pretty cheap that you guys aren't even trying to include the other NA components. 

KiltedAmerican #309 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 02:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postphilspamoni, on Jan 14 2020 - 19:47, said:

Hey Dom, You should change that very first line to "America Only" Military Veteran &...

As an ex RCR I find this pretty cheap that you guys aren't even trying to include the other NA components.

WGNA has stated more than once in this very thread that they're working on it ...

corrado14 #310 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 02:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 68594 battles

View Postphilspamoni, on Jan 14 2020 - 16:47, said:

Pro Patria

View PostKiltedAmerican, on Jan 14 2020 - 17:17, said:

WGNA has stated more than once in this very thread that they're working on it ...

Not fast enough, sometimes they need to be reminded.

KillnU_ #311 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 02:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41854 battles
  • [CURED] CURED

View Postphilspamoni, on Jan 14 2020 - 19:47, said:

What, that camo doesn't make it obvious enough for you? Snarkiness aside, WG's working on opening it up for non-US vets. Chill...

Hells_Wrath #312 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 10:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 14686 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
Looks like they changed the daily missions.  They used to be targeted at US vehicles only, but they changes the missions more than a little and they also now apply to tanks of all nations.  Awesome change!  No idea why they didn't more clearly detail the changes.

Rommelman1 #313 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 13:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27411 battles
  • [VDLS] VDLS
It says on the launcher .... and their families....how do you verify this ? and how can family members purchase packages ?

KiltedAmerican #314 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 16:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostRommelman1, on Jan 17 2020 - 07:52, said:

It says on the launcher .... and their families....how do you verify this ? and how can family members purchase packages ?

View PostDomoSapien, on Oct 10 2019 - 14:13, said:

I'll pass that info on to customer support and make sure it gets looked at. Thanks!

Attention to question quoted above, Domo, si vous plait

Edited by KiltedAmerican, Jan 17 2020 - 17:10.

DomoSapien #315 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 18:13

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 15124 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostKiltedAmerican, on Jan 17 2020 - 09:54, said:

Attention to question quoted above, Domo, si vous plait

I have a friend whose father served in the military and he was able to verify using his dad's USAA information. During the ID.me verification process, when you are uploading the documents you can select whether you are verifying for yourself or a family member. 

Klept2 #316 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 19:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 13818 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

I am a world of tanks OG veteran. 

Thank you for everyone that served and helped protect this country. Thank you for your service!

KiltedAmerican #317 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 03:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Bump for veterans

AO1_Tidepod #318 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 18:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 41900 battles
  • [TTP] TTP
Thank You World Of Tanks & Wargaming!

Attached Files

• Attached File   DD214blurb.jpg   292.34K

AO1_Tidepod #319 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 19:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 41900 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View Postphilspamoni, on Jan 15 2020 - 00:47, said:

Veteran means Veteran of the Armed Forces Of The United States, Unless it says Communism!

https://images.app.g...HWaME5L7iGT6bU7

KiltedAmerican #320 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 03:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostAO1_Tidepod, on Jan 23 2020 - 13:14, said:

Veteran means Veteran of the Armed Forces Of The United States, Unless it says Communism!

https://images.app.g...HWaME5L7iGT6bU7

Easy, tidepod ...

Canadians were there for all the allied efforts, in two world wars, and many other missions extending to this very day ...

They just don't write about it much.

Suggested reading, just one of many ... Battle of the Scheldt

and this one ... Hollywood even made a [classic] movie about it ...

Think about you doing that.

Better yet, walk the ground ...

Edited by KiltedAmerican, Jan 24 2020 - 04:36.

Also tagged with veteran, benefits, military, military veteran

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Szet