Underachever and proud of it...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Sir_Davos_Seaworth #1 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 20:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2444 battles
  • [-ABD-] -ABD-

..okay, I'm not "proud" of being called out for being "below average" but as that great American philosopher Bart Simpson also said: "Eat my shorts man."

Really. You want me to be worried about what my "success" in a game. Not only a game, but one that is free to play and open to every stoned teenager in the world? A game where I refuse to take the easy way out and play the best piksel tanks, and run all Russian stuff?

I guess I was supposed to be be mad as hell when my team lost my first Ace tanker game. I wasn't and I'm not...because its just a game, and no matter what, I can look this entire player base in the eye and say: "I tried my best, and did my job."

Now, this doesn't get me any farther in Tanks than is does in real life. I'm still treated like a grunt at work, and in the game people are just worried about "MAI STATTTSSS!!!" Rather than just except that sometimes RNG just says "LOL!" And it doesn't matter what you do.

No, trying to brawl a 45tp AND a Tiger(p) while in a Tiger 131 was not going to end well for the Onion Knight. He is a poor Lowborn man, and is too cheap to use much (if any) Gold ammo. But he does laugh at the IS-3 who thought enough of him to use HEAT on that same slab sided Tiger. But while they were playing grab @$$ with me, the rest of team was....well..I guess hiding in a bush was the best they could do. One should not ask much of co-workers, or teammates. So we lost, while I couldn't even dent my foes. Should I rage about MM? Teammates? Life?

Or just wait a couple of min and try again? 

That to me is the best part of this game. It is free to play, even if there are those in the game who can buy better toys than me, OR spend more time with their toys and be better than me.

I'll learn my lesson and move on. That is all some of us can do, and try and learn to be okay with it, in a silly game, or in life.

So, stat shame me if you must...I'll be shaking my head and laughing....then trying my best next game. Maybe I get that Ace Tanker, or maybe I'll drive off a cliff. One way to find out.

If you want fair this like real life, is the wrong place to look. What you do with your time, is up to you.

As always my two cents.

Peace. Davos

Nadeshiko07 #2 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 20:58

Private

• -Players-
  • 1011 battles
It's OK it's a game, I just turn off chat and pretend I am playing against AI, so relaxed this way.

Guido1212 #3 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:03

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 81554 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Davos never claimed to be a warrior, just a survivor.

Sir_Davos_Seaworth #4 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2444 battles
  • [-ABD-] -ABD-

View PostGuido1212, on Oct 10 2019 - 15:03, said:

Davos never claimed to be a warrior, just a survivor.

Very true...but he sure did his share of fighting. On land and sea.

Speaking of sea, I wish you could sink the boats in the harbor of Fijords.. Yes I tried...for science!

Sgt_King_Gunner #5 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 27393 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T

People who feel some sort of superiority due to being moderately good at a video game, and feel they need to tell you about it, are sort of failing at being good at being human. 

If i respond to someone with a nasty post battle message it’s usually to point out that it’s a bit pathetic to try to anger a stranger from anonymity over a video game. 

With luck one or two people may actually think that through and change a bit 

Markd73 #6 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

Play however you want within the bounds of the EULA.

I only take issue with people who blame everyone/everything but themselves, and then want WG to make the game easier for them.

Edited by Markd73, Oct 10 2019 - 21:16.

_Tsavo_ #7 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:22

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46230 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

Ain't no rule sayin' ya gotta be someone else's idea of good.  You play for you and your entertainment, as you should. 

On a side note, you're able to admit your flaws, which means you know mistakes when made and learn from them.  Overtime, you'll find yourself doing more killing simply because you are aware. 

Zourn #8 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16705 battles
  • [PZMAF] PZMAF
Some games i'm phenomenal(thx auto correct) and others i'm a lop sided turd..  ups and downs... :bush:

YANKEE137 #9 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 14006 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
What would this game be if all the salty people left ?

DrWho_ #10 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 25177 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostYANKEE137, on Oct 10 2019 - 21:52, said:

Bland ?

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #11 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 26392 battles

It's all good man as long as you're having fun that's the important part.  Good luck and hope you get your ace tanker. Side note you can still get a ace in a loss also.

Flarvin #12 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 54592 battles

View PostDrWho_, on Oct 10 2019 - 15:55, said:

Bland ?

That would be the forum, not really the game. 

Unless your whole point of playing WoT, is for the in game chat and post game messaging. lol

Markd73 #13 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:01

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

View PostYANKEE137, on Oct 10 2019 - 20:52, said:

Way less fun. This coming from a guy (me) who at times rages like an idiot in game.

Edited by Markd73, Oct 10 2019 - 22:02.

MissCreant #14 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2065 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Skill level is unimportant.

Trying to get better is.

If you don't try to get better, you are alien to me.

Flarvin #15 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:08

Major

• Players
  • 54592 battles

View PostMissCreant, on Oct 10 2019 - 16:06, said:

Skill level is unimportant.

Trying to get better is.

If you don't try to get better, you are alien to me.

I’m an alien. lol 

Sir_Davos_Seaworth #16 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2444 battles
  • [-ABD-] -ABD-

Just in case anyone was wondering, yes I DO try and get better. I spent an hour in a Training room trying something yesterday...I'm on vacation this week, so I had time for such things. Usually I don't, but even if I REALLY step in it while in a Random I try to make something positive out it. Am I perfect at it? Oh H E L L no. I bounced a plastic glass off three walls of our basement when I did something dumb yesterday.

I have a life long bad habit of throwing myself into the deep end before I'm ready, and I put myself in bad situations. This game is REALLY good at punishing mistakes like that, so I try and back off a little bit...but I gotta try some days.

MissCreant #17 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2065 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostSir_Davos_Seaworth, on Oct 10 2019 - 22:28, said:

I have a life long bad habit of throwing myself into the deep end before I'm ready, and I put myself in bad situations. 

Hello my twin!

Copacetic #18 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47318 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View PostSir_Davos_Seaworth, on Oct 10 2019 - 20:56, said:

..okay, I'm not "proud" of being called out for being "below average" but as that great American philosopher Bart Simpson also said: "Eat my shorts man."

Really. You want me to be worried about what my "success" in a game. Not only a game, but one that is free to play and open to every stoned teenager in the world? A game where I refuse to take the easy way out and play the best piksel tanks, and run all Russian stuff?

I guess I was supposed to be be mad as hell when my team lost my first Ace tanker game. I wasn't and I'm not...because its just a game, and no matter what, I can look this entire player base in the eye and say: "I tried my best, and did my job."

Now, this doesn't get me any farther in Tanks than is does in real life. I'm still treated like a grunt at work, and in the game people are just worried about "MAI STATTTSSS!!!" Rather than just except that sometimes RNG just says "LOL!" And it doesn't matter what you do.

No, trying to brawl a 45tp AND a Tiger(p) while in a Tiger 131 was not going to end well for the Onion Knight. He is a poor Lowborn man, and is too cheap to use much (if any) Gold ammo. But he does laugh at the IS-3 who thought enough of him to use HEAT on that same slab sided Tiger. But while they were playing grab @$$ with me, the rest of team was....well..I guess hiding in a bush was the best they could do. One should not ask much of co-workers, or teammates. So we lost, while I couldn't even dent my foes. Should I rage about MM? Teammates? Life?

Or just wait a couple of min and try again?

That to me is the best part of this game. It is free to play, even if there are those in the game who can buy better toys than me, OR spend more time with their toys and be better than me.

I'll learn my lesson and move on. That is all some of us can do, and try and learn to be okay with it, in a silly game, or in life.

So, stat shame me if you must...I'll be shaking my head and laughing....then trying my best next game. Maybe I get that Ace Tanker, or maybe I'll drive off a cliff. One way to find out.

If you want fair this like real life, is the wrong place to look. What you do with your time, is up to you.

As always my two cents.

Peace. Davos

we don't care shutup

DrWho_ #19 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 23:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 25177 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostFlarvin, on Oct 10 2019 - 22:00, said:

That would be the forum, not really the game. 

Unless your whole point of playing WoT, is for the in game chat and post game messaging. lol

I find the salty comments to be quite silly, especially the post game ones. I do fall into this trap myself and post a few salty comments while in the game but I can't remember the last time I PM'ed someone after a game

What I find mildly amusing though is that most of the salty comments come from people who are either fairly low skill themselves, typical 50k games and below avg WR who thinks they're good at this because they've played a long time, or players who've barely hit "blue" and are probably desperately trying to become purple, mostly the last group.

Really good players don't do that kind of stuff in my experience and neither do most average or below avg players with a reasonable amount of games to their names

Doesn't bother me none but I can see why it's not fun for people who aren't experienced online gamers to get really nasty PM's after a game 

Drunkenparrot #20 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 23:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19424 battles
  • [ZOCOM] ZOCOM

World of Tanks has a steep learning curve and it honestly takes a few thousand games for most people to find their stride.

In the lower tiers most of the population are newer free to play people so anybody hurling abuse is either even more clueless or a failed sealclubber.

The game becomes a lot more competitive and the players a lot better above tier VII and a mistake many people make is advancing too quickly before they really understand the game mechanics and strategies.

It's not uncommon to see a team mate who makes a bad play and gets killed 2 minutes into a game raging in chat about what somebody else did or didn't do. 

You can blacklist a specific individual from chat and you won't have to hear from them but you want to be careful because chat is an important source of information when you are trying to grow beyond playing bumper tanks in tier III.

If however you are the guy with 2k battles who buys a tier XIII premium when your next highest tank is a tier V with 20 battles and always insists on going valley playing encounter on the Lakeville map you are going to hear it from multiple teammates every time and maybe you should listen.

The best advice is to watch youtube videos from players like the Mighty Jingles and Quickfingers who do a good job explaining how certain tank matchups should be played on different maps in different situations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users