Recent Update and Patches show Wargaming's utter Incompetence...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

leeuniverse #1 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:17

Major

• Players
  • 39240 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

So, we had the major update, and then TWO patches in two days...

While this is likely one of the worst instances, we've seen update after update the game working FINE on the Test Server after multiple tests, yet somehow when the release comes out there are serious problems they either have to fix immediately or as they can, and then we live with it for awhile until they do.

What is the "disconnect" between the Final version on the test server and Release?

Are they actually constantly "adding/fixing" things between and not testing it?

Only idiots do that...

Markd73 #2 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:31

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

Are there specific changes in these updates that you dislike/disagree with?

leeuniverse #3 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 39240 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostMarkd73, on Oct 10 2019 - 13:31, said:

Are there specific changes in these updates that you dislike/disagree with?

I'm talking about major bugs that need fixing that somehow happen between the last version of the Test Server and the Official Update, that they then have to rush to fix.

Like I said, since this last update there's been TWO Patches to fix major bugs in Two days...

This happens constantly, so what is their malfunction?

Da_Craw #4 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 27552 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

If "utter incompetence" gets you a world record game played hundreds of millions of times (mostly for free), then please let me be incompetent.

I had a restaurant bring me the wrong order the other day.  They realized the error and corrected it quickly.  By your definition, they are utterly incompetent.  But incompetent restaurants don't fix mistakes, they go out of business, just like incompetent game publishers.  WG is still here and YOU are still playing the game; ergo, not incompetent.

There are things that we all want improved in WoT, but some of that message gets drowned out by the screaming over every little hiccup.  You are essentially complaining that they tried to fix something too fast.  And then tried to fix that immediately.  You would prefer an extra supertest for a patch?!  And to the inevitable "get it completely right before releasing it" crowd, no!  I'm old, I don't want to wait for new features just because we might have to *gasp* patch them.   Bring on the new features!  warts and all.     

heavymetal1967 #5 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:09

Major

• Players
  • 72604 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

I give em down the road when they deserve it and I won't defend two micro-patches in two days after a patch, especially when they list "technical issues" or error numbers that most folks don't recognize.

But at least they're not waiting weeks and while they could still do better at informing folks at least there's been support articles.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it, but personally I can take this in stride better than the really simple stuff like consistent code/article delays.   Consistency usually means there isn't someone up the chain doing their job and and putting a foot in someone's posterior.

Of course I'm also not an affected user (*fingers crossed*) aside from the Polish Rudy crew.  So there is that to consider as well.

Hopefully tonight's patch is the Rudy fix then all will be well.  I see no downtime is planned which would seem to indicate something simple like a crew fix.

Bolted_On #6 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 64170 battles
  • [SFL] SFL

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2019 - 21:01, said:

If "utter incompetence" gets you a world record game played hundreds of millions of times (mostly for free), then please let me be incompetent.

I had a restaurant bring me the wrong order the other day.  They realized the error and corrected it quickly.  By your definition, they are utterly incompetent.  But incompetent restaurants don't fix mistakes, they go out of business, just like incompetent game publishers.  WG is still here and YOU are still playing the game; ergo, not incompetent.

There are things that we all want improved in WoT, but some of that message gets drowned out by the screaming over every little hiccup.  You are essentially complaining that they tried to fix something too fast.  And then tried to fix that immediately.  You would prefer an extra supertest for a patch?!  And to the inevitable "get it completely right before releasing it" crowd, no!  I'm old, I don't want to wait for new features just because we might have to *gasp* patch them.   Bring on the new features!  warts and all.     

Really, don't make me list the countless bugs and errors that have plagued this game for the seven years that I've been playing that still exist and have yet to be fixed.   THAT is incompetent.

black_colt #7 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 4287 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2019 - 13:01, said:

I agree overall with your comments as bugs/issues plague all software developers.  If you wait until very issues is resolved - you will never ship a product.

While it can be frustrating for some - it is welcome news to those who are having issues and the new build now allows them to play the game.

IMHO there is a valid argument for full disclosure of what was specifically fixed in each patch.

Da_Craw #8 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 27552 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostBolted_On, on Oct 10 2019 - 15:20, said:

Really, don't make me list the countless bugs and errors that have plagued this game for the seven years that I've been playing that still exist and have yet to be fixed.   THAT is incompetent.

Then go play the tank game that doesn't have those countless bugs and errors.  Oh, there isn't currently one with a large playerbase and free servers? Odd.  Obviously, those "countless bugs and errors" have failed to keep you from playing the game.  Failed over 60,000 times.  So why would a company allocate resources to fix "problems" that aren't keeping people from playing?  You want them to polish up minor flaws to assuage some pet peeve while they are focused on making stuff they can sell to pay their employees and keep the servers online.  That isn't incompetence, that is logical allocation of resources.

leeuniverse #9 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 22:59

Major

• Players
  • 39240 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2019 - 14:01, said:

I perfectly understand what you're saying, however, you're missing my entire point.

I'm stating that they constantly are releasing Updates that have Bugs that WERE NOT IN THE LAST TEST SERVER VERSION...

So, they are doing something between that they shouldn't be doing.

In other words, the entire purpose of the Test Server is to identify bugs, and then when fixed, THEN they release a new update.

But they aren't doing that, they are clearly doing things between which causes NEW bugs, creating a version that ISN'T TESTED and then releasing it in mass.

I'm just saying this is a bad practice, and simply causes irritation with your customers, especially those who use mods, causing mod developers to have to constantly update their mods, users having problems, thinking it might be the mods when it's not, having to wait over and over again for updates to the mods cause of Wargamings screw-up.  etc.  Anyway, this is NOT proper Software Development practice.

What this is using your analogy, is if a Restaurant engages in a practice that is constantly irritating their customers, and it's a non-standard practice in their industry that they shouldn't be doing, and yet they keep doing it, NOT learning from their mistakes... THAT is what makes them incompetent...  Do you now understand my point?  And FYI, a company or person CAN be incompetent in some things, but not entirely so.  In fact, a good example of this is the sheer number of business owners and people who make good money, and yet they are utter idiots, and you wonder how in the world they were successful.  If you've known a lot of different kinds of people in life, you've likely seen this.  Thus, it's 100% possible to be incompetent, but to have success.  I mean, after all, it's how the Left views Trump, whether accurate or not.

The_Illusive_Man #10 Posted Oct 10 2019 - 23:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2019 - 18:01, said:

Block Quote

The "Most players online simultaneously on one MMO server" world record was officially registered by Guinness World Records on 23 January 2011 and constituted 91,311 players.

That happened 8 years ago. Back when I started playing the game, it was ALOT more fun. Now its just not worth the hard drive space. Already uninstalled the EU client, and only have the NA client so I can test mods, and allow people to continue using the mods they like from me.

I agree with Lee. The game devs have a history of poor quality. And i'm pretty sure they have NO QA team. Because, if they did, these issues for the most part would have been found. Then there is the time it takes to fix major issues with the game. MM took 23 months to fix (from first announcement to release). Any other game would have died, or at least had serious backlash due to that. So, I wont be surprised if this game is on its last legs. Because the devs dont care anymore. But at one point, they did.

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Oct 10 2019 - 23:08.

leeuniverse #11 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 05:11

Major

• Players
  • 39240 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Oct 10 2019 - 15:08, said:

That happened 8 years ago. Back when I started playing the game, it was ALOT more fun. Now its just not worth the hard drive space. Already uninstalled the EU client, and only have the NA client so I can test mods, and allow people to continue using the mods they like from me.

I agree with Lee. The game devs have a history of poor quality. And i'm pretty sure they have NO QA team. Because, if they did, these issues for the most part would have been found. Then there is the time it takes to fix major issues with the game. MM took 23 months to fix (from first announcement to release). Any other game would have died, or at least had serious backlash due to that. So, I wont be surprised if this game is on its last legs. Because the devs dont care anymore. But at one point, they did.

Well, I'm sure they "do" have some sort of QA team, cause they DO fix stuff, it's just like I said, pretty incompetent, at least whoever is running it.

I won't necessarily blame the programmers themselves, they generally just do the work and what they are told to do.

Ya, it's crazy the "time" they take to fix or even "add" things, oh and not only that, but when they DO add things, they do it half ***'d such as the Tank Carousel.  I mean, they finally give us Rows, but give us "two" rows max, when the mods have been giving us at least 5 rows FOREVER, and there are many other things.

I mean, there are so many things I can list that should be in the game already, but aren't.  Really, there's a ton of things primarily in XVM that should already be in the game, yet they aren't.  Or other things like the "Tank Icon Maker" that should just be in the game, so we can make our own Tank Icons if we want.

Well, I don't think the game is going anywhere...  There are just too many people who are fine with lower quality control, like those in Russia where this game is super big.  And there are clearly plenty fanboys on this forum who balk at ANY sort of improvement to the game that won't actually hurt them, but WILL allow others to enjoy and be happy with the game.  So, a lot of them aren't going anywhere.  Also, I think Wargaming DOES care about the game, the problem is that few are visionary's with the will to do what needs to be done.  Them doing what needs to be done is like pulling hair... and worse, often when they do do things, they do it wrong, making the game worse or just as bad, such as Stun.

_Kradok_ #12 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 14:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 32906 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

View Postleeuniverse, on Oct 10 2019 - 23:11, said:

Well, I'm sure they "do" have some sort of QA team, cause they DO fix stuff, it's just like I said, pretty incompetent, at least whoever is running it.

I won't necessarily blame the programmers themselves, they generally just do the work and what they are told to do.

Ya, it's crazy the "time" they take to fix or even "add" things, oh and not only that, but when they DO add things, they do it half ***'d such as the Tank Carousel.  I mean, they finally give us Rows, but give us "two" rows max, when the mods have been giving us at least 5 rows FOREVER, and there are many other things.

I mean, there are so many things I can list that should be in the game already, but aren't.  Really, there's a ton of things primarily in XVM that should already be in the game, yet they aren't.  Or other things like the "Tank Icon Maker" that should just be in the game, so we can make our own Tank Icons if we want.

Well, I don't think the game is going anywhere...  There are just too many people who are fine with lower quality control, like those in Russia where this game is super big.  And there are clearly plenty fanboys on this forum who balk at ANY sort of improvement to the game that won't actually hurt them, but WILL allow others to enjoy and be happy with the game.  So, a lot of them aren't going anywhere.  Also, I think Wargaming DOES care about the game, the problem is that few are visionary's with the will to do what needs to be done.  Them doing what needs to be done is like pulling hair... and worse, often when they do do things, they do it wrong, making the game worse or just as bad, such as Stun.

If only you worked for WG.... All our problems would be fixed. 

Out of genuine curiosity - what do you do for a living when you aren't solving WoT's problems or making yourself feel superior to everyone else?? 

CowgoesMOO_ #13 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 14:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 721 battles

View Post_Kradok_, on Oct 11 2019 - 14:40, said:

If only you worked for WG.... All our problems would be fixed. 

Out of genuine curiosity - what do you do for a living when you aren't solving WoT's problems or making yourself feel superior to everyone else?? 

You've seen the movie Glass right? Hes Kevin Wendell, so hes busy debating the 23+ voices in his head. It's a full time job.

SquishySupreme #14 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 22:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3657 battles
I second the massive bugs.
#1 is that the game engine itself only renders things now if it thinks you can detect.see them.  In all other FPS games, it renders everything out to infinity but applies penalties too your end by not giving you a lock or outline until you are at an appropriate range.  Or adds blur or weather effects so you can *see* 500m, but the rain makes it opaque as  mud after 300m or so.

What you end up with is tanks that go past a gap and are suddenly drawn *AT ALL* when they are 80% through it, invisible tanks, disappearing shots ( usually they are hitting a tank in front of the one you actually see ) and on and on.
Their rendering engine is simply busted and needs a ground-up rework, because dropping a packet or two, which is common most nights and you simply are fighting blind.

Edited by SquishySupreme, Oct 11 2019 - 22:59.

black_colt #15 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 06:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 4287 battles

View PostSquishySupreme, on Oct 11 2019 - 13:59, said:

I second the massive bugs.
#1 is that the game engine itself only renders things now if it thinks you can detect.see them.  In all other FPS games, it renders everything out to infinity but applies penalties too your end by not giving you a lock or outline until you are at an appropriate range.  Or adds blur or weather effects so you can *see* 500m, but the rain makes it opaque as  mud after 300m or so.

What you end up with is tanks that go past a gap and are suddenly drawn *AT ALL* when they are 80% through it, invisible tanks, disappearing shots ( usually they are hitting a tank in front of the one you actually see ) and on and on.
Their rendering engine is simply busted and needs a ground-up rework, because dropping a packet or two, which is common most nights and you simply are fighting blind.

So if you think you can do a better job then create your own game ...

leeuniverse #16 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 11:57

Major

• Players
  • 39240 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

OMG...  ANOTHER UPDATE...

This is what, the 4th Patch since the major update, in what, one week or so?

Chtholly_Seniorious #17 Posted Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 37245 battles
  • [WASHD] WASHD

I mean other than the day the update dropped when same day they did a patch because it was causing problems I havent noticed any issues.  Most of these are more than likely things that could wait and wouldn't cause issues to most people but they figure a hour of downtime will be worth it in the long run to fix a small error.  

And please tell me the last time you have had a major bug that wasnt fixed same day or a public announcement went out saying they are working on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users