• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

KRZYBooP #1 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 16:53

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4109 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Howdy Boom Jockeys!

The general idea behind the redesign is to reduce the map's excessive linearity in those locations where it can provide an additional effect to gameplay variety. Based on this key concept, two redesign options are currently in the works.

Option 1:

1) The central hill with houses has been reworked. Now you can roll onto it and control a pretty considerable part of the map. This constitutes a vital part of the gameplay now.

The houses under the hill have been either removed or transferred onto the hill to prevent heavy player separation along the direction.

2) The entire south-west has been reworked into a more open area with both the possibility of quick attacks and flank maneuvers as well as concealment. 

3) The mountains near the bases have been revised—now they can be used to maintain defense.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Option 2:

In terms of global changes: all the shrubbery has been removed from the map, there is nothing but trees now. Only felled trees can be used for concealment now.

1) The HT zone has been connected to the central zone via a passage. 

2) Additional safer passages towards the bases have been added to the HT zone. They pass along the edges of the map, allowing for a greater flexibility of movement.

3) Due to terrain changes, the mountains near the bases can now be partially traversed. Now these zones can be used to maintain defense.

4) Only destructible buildings have been left in the central part of the village.

5) The terrain has been slightly reworked. The elevations have been flattened to allow for more secure retreats.

6) A mountain that was previously impassable has been made traversable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The future of the Pearl River map changes depends on the outcome of testing.

nuclearguy931 #2 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 17:38

Major

• Players
  • 82448 battles
  • [UMM] UMM
It would be nice to see the map back in regular rotation.

CaptSpaulding55 #3 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 17:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34255 battles
Sounds like either option will in my opinion completely ruin what was in the past a fun map to play on. Thanks for nothing! Maybe WG should let a third party company design and/or redesign their maps since it seems WG devs have no clue on what to do any more.

moogleslam #4 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 18:19

Major

• Players
  • 46423 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
Some might have noticed I've stopped doing my map series, and have started losing interest in this game, because WG seems to find a host of ways to suck the fun out of it (codes?), but this is truly great news and has me excited.  Once this is in the client, lets hope WG keep working on bring all the others back too.

An_old_slow_guy #5 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 18:20

Captain

• Players
  • 63056 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS
Yeah, it seems like the map has been opened wider - it was an interesting map to play before. I thought the reason it was retired before was due to graphics and performance issues - not playability. Dumbing down the map is hardly considered an improvement in playability. 

stalkervision #6 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 19:03

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles

View PostCaptSpaulding55, on Oct 11 2019 - 11:56, said:

Sounds like either option will in my opinion completely ruin what was in the past a fun map to play on. Thanks for nothing! Maybe WG should let a third party company design and/or redesign their maps since it seems WG devs have no clue on what to do any more.

agree,the map was great as is. :(

__Worm__ #7 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 19:08

Major

• Players
  • 35098 battles

Point of Interest :

no bushes - knock over a tree to gain cover.

see a tree knocked down in an advantageous spot for sniping blind fire it.

before said bush would have provided cover with no inclination for the attacker to be drawn to it.

madogthefirst #8 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 19:48

Major

• Players
  • 24711 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Is there a way into the building with out going through the main punchy face choke point, access from the low area near the river?

Avalon304 #9 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 22:28

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
I like option 1, with the addition of a new area of play. Not a fan of option 2, as the removal of soft concealment shouldnt be a thing.

madogthefirst #10 Posted Oct 11 2019 - 23:25

Major

• Players
  • 24711 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
I didn't even realize there was a second option. What the hell did you guys do, draw it with crayon?

ArcticTankHunter #11 Posted Oct 15 2019 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16680 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V
Yay, the map is back. But how bad is it against slow tanks though? Is the bridge drivable?

Bronco272 #12 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 18:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22365 battles
  • [MAD-] MAD-

Personally, I like Option 1 more since it is more similar to the original map, which is my favorite map in the game.  The ability to enter the town in the middle also seems like a unique change because I always tried to get into there on the old map.  I will give warning that the center village should not be like Mines where it gives complete domination of the map, which is one of the reasons that most people do not like Mines at high tiers.  There should be ample opportunity for the Village to shoot the Southwest and for the Southwest to shoot into the Village, and it should not be those two engagements that dictate victory on the map.

Additionally, I would be interested in seeing a corridor fight that runs parallel to the battle lines as in Option 2, instead of corridors that are perpendicular to the battle lines in most maps.  It is probably worth testing that idea for a different map.

#BringBackPearlRiver #PearlRiverReturns

ballyspringer #13 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 04:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22932 battles

I think the first one is heads and shoulders above the second version - it's a lot more like the original (which I loved).  I would personally like to see the center spot closed off a bit more than in those pictures though, it seems too much like the middle of mines as rendered there.  At least close it off more to the left side of the map if you want to keep it that open to all the TD's that will be camping by the caps...

And am I crazy or does it look like the map (both versions) have been flattened quite a bit from the original?  Hopefully I'm just looking at it wrong but to me all of the bumps and hills and uneven terrain are part of what made it a lot of fun.  The best game I ever had in my IS-7 was on this map.

Also THANK YOU for looking at bringing back older maps, hopefully with minimal tweaks :D

Edited by ballyspringer, Oct 22 2019 - 05:01.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users