1.6.1 and installing mod packs?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

gruz3 #1 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 17:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 34684 battles

Since the 64-bit wrapper upgrade i can't install modpacks anymore. They do not run with the new wrapper/game center.  

(In game center go to file/run command)

Any help, advice?

Edited by gruz3, Oct 16 2019 - 17:43.

GenPanzer #2 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 17:56

Major

• Players
  • 44959 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT
Don't use the 64-bit version.

Syberfly #3 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 18:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25896 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1
Or don't use MODS.

_Katyusha___ #4 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 19:45

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16871 battles
  • [KTSHA] KTSHA
say not to mods

JakeTheMystic #5 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 25015 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
Aslains works fine for me, so I'm not sure. Have you tried deleting system32?

gruz3 #6 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 21:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 34684 battles

How to go back to 32-bit?

Thanks for helpful tips in advance

OldAndSlow67 #7 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 23:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1419 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 16 2019 - 20:08, said:

How?  When I install Aslains (using wine), at startup it errors out without being able to find any of the mods, so nothing is working.

Last week it was possible to run the 32-bit version (which worked for me since I'm not on Catalina yet), but the wrapper no longer allows running 32-bit programs anymore.

I was able to use a hacked-up version of wine (not using Codeweaver) to run one game last night, but it was painful as the mouse emulation in stock wine is very poor, so I'd rather not do that again.

OldAndSlow67 #8 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 16:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1419 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 16 2019 - 12:08, said:

Also, according to Aslain himself, XVM won't work as it's not been converted to 64-bit (I just reported an issue there), so I'm surprised to hear you say it's working for you.

black_colt #9 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 18:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

Has anyone reached out to CodeWeavers - through the Expert Support section?

Has anyone reached out to the modpack developer to see if they are using a 32-bit MS Windows installer?

black_colt #10 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 18:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View Postgruz3, on Oct 16 2019 - 08:43, said:

Since the 64-bit wrapper upgrade i can't install modpacks anymore. They do not run with the new wrapper/game center.  

(In game center go to file/run command)

Any help, advice?

The trick is to immediately go to the [File] menu and select [Run Command ...] before the WG Game Center Mac Wrapper fully loads.  The Run Command will open a separate window where you can navigate to the mod/modpack you want to install.

Based on other comments in this thread - I suspect that many/if not all mod/modpack developers are using a 32-bit MS Windows installer.  As macOS Catalina does not allow ANY 32-bit code to run/be installed the mod/modpack will not install PERIOD.

OldAndSlow67 #11 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 18:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1419 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Oct 17 2019 - 10:22, said:

Has anyone reached out to the modpack developer to see if they are using a 32-bit MS Windows installer?

According to Aslain, XVM does not (yet) support 64-bit, so they are using a 32-bit installer.  I'm doing some digging to see what/why that is the case.

Note, using stock Wine, you can install Aslain (and I'm sure other mods as well), but the old way of running the installer via Gamecenter you showed above won't work because the installer is 32-bit, and that's no longer allowed as you get an error with '32-bit programs not allowed' or something similar.

View Postblack_colt, on Oct 17 2019 - 10:22, said:

The trick is to immediately go to the [File] menu and select [Run Command ...] before the WG Game Center Mac Wrapper fully loads.  The Run Command will open a separate window where you can navigate to the mod/modpack you want to install.

No joy because the installer/modpack is 32-bit.  That worked until yesterday when Wargaming added another patch to disable running 32-bit programs.

To be honest, if I can't make it work, it's not the end of the day.  With 3 mins blowout matches the norm, it's not a whole lot of fun playing the game anymore.

gruz3 #12 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 34684 battles
There doesnt seem to be an easy fix then, except to wait for XVM, again.. 

Edited by gruz3, Oct 17 2019 - 19:25.

black_colt #13 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View PostOldAndSlow67, on Oct 17 2019 - 09:37, said:

According to Aslain, XVM does not (yet) support 64-bit, so they are using a 32-bit installer.  I'm doing some digging to see what/why that is the case.

I suspect that many, if not all, of the Modmakers will stay with a 32-bit installer. 64-bit MS Windows allows 32-bit installers BUT 32-bit MS Windows does NOT allow 64-bit installers.  I am not aware if MS Windows installer can be a fat binary [where there are multiple installers - Apple used extensively - the installer is [aware] of what OS is present and then install the only code that will run on that OS].  Perhaps some of the MS Windows gurus can weigh in on whether a fat binary is doable ...

Note, using stock Wine, you can install Aslain (and I'm sure other mods as well), but the old way of running the installer via Gamecenter you showed above won't work because the installer is 32-bit, and that's no longer allowed as you get an error with '32-bit programs not allowed' or something similar.

I do not build Wine just to run the WoT Mac Wrapper as CodeWeavers produced a wrapper [essentially Wine - and I am sure it included custom code - made into a stand-alone app] that runs out-of-the-box.

No joy because the installer/modpack is 32-bit.  That worked until yesterday when Wargaming added another patch to disable running 32-bit programs.

To be honest, if I can't make it work, it's not the end of the day.  With 3 mins blowout matches the norm, it's not a whole lot of fun playing the game anymore.

True - although I do like the ability to change the reticle and add additional circles in the mini-map for views not in the standard game.  We, macOS Catalina users, may need to manually copy the mods - if the Modmaker provides them a stand-alone mods ...

Edited by black_colt, Oct 17 2019 - 20:03.

black_colt #14 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View Postgruz3, on Oct 17 2019 - 10:24, said:

There doesnt seem to be an easy fix then, except to wait for XVM, again.. 

Actually it is more complicated than just waiting for XVM ...

macOS Catalina does not allow the installation/execution of 32-bit code so all aspects of the Modpack will need to be 64-bit INCLUDING the installer.

black_colt #15 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 16 2019 - 11:08, said:

Are you running macOS Mojave or lower?

black_colt #16 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View PostGenPanzer, on Oct 16 2019 - 08:56, said:

Don't use the 64-bit version.

That is not an option for macOS Catalina users as macOS Catalina does not allow installation/execution of ANY 32-bit code PERIOD.

OldAndSlow67 #17 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1419 battles

TL;DR - Mods may never work easily in MAC Wot ever again, if at all.

Black Colt:

I suspect that many, if not all, of the Modmakers will stay with a 32-bit installer. 64-bit MS Windows allows 32-bit installers BUT 32-bit MS Windows does NOT allow 64-bit installers.  I am not aware if MS Windows installer can be a fat binary [where there are multiple installers - Apple used extensively - the installer is [aware] of what OS is present and then install the only code that will run on that OS].  Perhaps some of the MS Windows gurus can weigh in on whether a fat binary is doable 

Fat binaries were specific to a time when there were two different architectures on the Mac, PowerPC and Intel.  Windows has never supported the same binary on multiple architectures (NT run on Intel, PPC, MIPS, and Alpha for a time), so there has never been a need for M$ to use technology like fat binaries. And, because because the primary Windows architecture (x86/Intel) allows for running 32-bit/64-bit binaries on the same chipset, there has never been a need to introduce something like fat binaries on any version of Windows.

Apple decided to cut-the-cord on 32-bit architecture because it's Apple (:shakesfist), because it allows them to reduce support for older build tools and libraries, among other things. As a software developer, I think it's short-sighted, although, they have given folks a long time to upgrade their source code, many folks (CodeWeaver, Wargaming) have chosen to ignore it and only make the move when they are forced to.

Therefore, there is no such thing as 'FAT' binaries for Windows, because it's simply not necessary, so it will almost certainly never be a thing on Windows.

[ And, I agree with you, most folks writing mods will have almost ZERO motivation to create two packages, one 32-bit, and one 64-bit, as they would be alienating the vast majority of their user if they only provided a 64-bit installer, if that is even feasible. ]

I wrote:

Block Quote

I do not build Wine just to run the WoT Mac Wrapper as CodeWeavers produced a wrapper [essentially Wine - and I am sure it included custom code - made into a stand-alone app] that runs out-of-the-box.

https://brew.sh

% brew install wine

Just install the stock wine package, and then run the installer

% wine ~/Downloads/Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.6.1.1_03.exe

[ You have to choose the Wine directory where WOT is installed, but that's a one-time choice ]

However, the above only lets you install the mods, the mods themselves don't work right for reasons that are not yet well known. Also, wine MAY NOT work in Catalina (yet), I'm still running Mojave as I have a lot of 3rd party development SW that will never be ported to 64-bit that I can't live without.

OldAndSlow67 #18 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 22:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1419 battles

If you want to play around, you can get 'MOST' of the mods to work right if you use an alternate start image (as discussed by Black Colt earlier), which is the WorldOfTanks.exe in the win64 directory on your MAC.

[ XVM does NOT work, because it's a 32-bit app. ]

For more details on this, see the following English thread on Aslains.

https://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/14864-mods-on-mac-64-bit-only-no-joy/

I wanted to provide a screen-shot, but I'm getting an error when I try to upload a 500K image ('too big to upload').

Edited by OldAndSlow67, Oct 17 2019 - 22:23.

black_colt #19 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 00:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 4460 battles

View PostOldAndSlow67, on Oct 17 2019 - 11:37, said:

TL;DR - Mods may never work easily in MAC Wot ever again, if at all.

Fat binaries were specific to a time when there were two different architectures on the Mac, PowerPC and Intel.  Windows has never supported the same binary on multiple architectures (NT run on Intel, PPC, MIPS, and Alpha for a time), so there has never been a need for M$ to use technology like fat binaries. And, because because the primary Windows architecture (x86/Intel) allows for running 32-bit/64-bit binaries on the same chipset, there has never been a need to introduce something like fat binaries on any version of Windows.

Apple decided to cut-the-cord on 32-bit architecture because it's Apple (:shakesfist), because it allows them to reduce support for older build tools and libraries, among other things. As a software developer, I think it's short-sighted, although, they have given folks a long time to upgrade their source code, many folks (CodeWeaver, Wargaming) have chosen to ignore it and only make the move when they are forced to.

Therefore, there is no such thing as 'FAT' binaries for Windows, because it's simply not necessary, so it will almost certainly never be a thing on Windows.

[ And, I agree with you, most folks writing mods will have almost ZERO motivation to create two packages, one 32-bit, and one 64-bit, as they would be alienating the vast majority of their user if they only provided a 64-bit installer, if that is even feasible. ]

https://brew.sh

% brew install wine

Just install the stock wine package, and then run the installer

% wine ~/Downloads/Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.6.1.1_03.exe

[ You have to choose the Wine directory where WOT is installed, but that's a one-time choice ]

However, the above only lets you install the mods, the mods themselves don't work right for reasons that are not yet well known. Also, wine MAY NOT work in Catalina (yet), I'm still running Mojave as I have a lot of 3rd party development SW that will never be ported to 64-bit that I can't live without.

Since Wargaming released a 64-bit version of World of Tanks I suspect that they are already going down the path of getting rid of 32-bit completely as well so that they do not have to support two sets of libraries, APIs, etc.

64-bit is here to stay - everyone needs to get used to it.  32-bit is in the autumn of its lifecycle and companies that continue to support will find their potential market shrink.

Apple has always stated they do not have infinite resources and will concentrate on ascending technologies - not technologies in the autumn of their lifecycle.  iOS, tvOS, and iPadOS only support 64-bit apps so it was logical and predictable that 32-bit support in macOS would disappear.

Microsoft will probably drop 32-bit support in the near future as well - supporting 32-bit and 64-bit libraries is taxing and you can claim valuable disk space by not needing to have 32-bit code.  That is very important in a portable device - e.g., Surface.

Who knows - perhaps the all-or-nothing approach by Apple will send ripples out in the software community pushing them to move to 64-bit exclusively.

Wargaming would be wise to open a 64-bit only section of the WG MODs website ...

Edited by black_colt, Oct 18 2019 - 00:41.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users