Fast ways to train crews?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AncientFoxx #1 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 02:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10582 battles
  • [-FANG] -FANG
So, I use premium tanks. premium time. And it doesn't do ANYTHING to speed up crew training. At all. It takes months to get one crew member to 100% in a skill. 
I feel like I'm the ONLY player in the game who DOESN'T have every last tank in their garage, each one with a fully maxed out crew. Like, I'm the only player left who is still researching tanks. 

Ta_Hun_Kwai #2 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 02:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 18178 battles

View PostAncientFoxx, on Oct 16 2019 - 17:47, said:

So, I use premium tanks. premium time. And it doesn't do ANYTHING to speed up crew training. At all. It takes months to get one crew member to 100% in a skill. I feel like I'm the ONLY player in the game who DOESN'T have every last tank in their garage, each one with a fully maxed out crew. Like, I'm the only player left who is still researching tanks. 

the amount of XP need to 100% a crew on a tank isn't a lot if you can't do that then you're not playing very well if you are talking about skills and perks then its normale to take a lot of time since the exp amount need to 100% doubles for each finished set

Edited by Ta_Hun_Kwai, Oct 17 2019 - 03:06.

HOTA_CHATON #3 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 02:56

Major

• Players
  • 13890 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB

View PostAncientFoxx, on Oct 16 2019 - 19:47, said:

So, I use premium tanks. premium time. And it doesn't do ANYTHING to speed up crew training. At all. It takes months to get one crew member to 100% in a skill. 
I feel like I'm the ONLY player in the game who DOESN'T have every last tank in their garage, each one with a fully maxed out crew. Like, I'm the only player left who is still researching tanks. 

Premium time and vehicles do speed things up.  Just do a comparison and you will see the results.

jst2gr8 #4 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 03:12

Captain

• Players
  • 68057 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
Throw on an experience reserve while you are playing in the premiums. It helps a lot.

highex #5 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 03:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25567 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

if you start with a crew less than 100%, than play to get the 20k credit to boost commander. then radio operator, then gunner, then driver, then loader.

continue to grind the tank until they are 100%.

once you have a 100% crew then you use gold to transfer them to the next tank if you will not use gold repeat the 20k credit dance.

my tier 1 crew went into my tier 2 tank usually needing to add a crew member here and there.

once i start dealing with skills i always do mentor for commander because it is a skill and increases by percentage and increases the rest of the crew

radio operator gets situational awareness first

every other crew member gets cam

cam is always active. more when stationary, less when moving but always active

none of the other skills are always active except recon we will get to that

once any crew member gets 100% skill reset it to brothers in arms

20k gets you pretty close if you have a second skill about 50%

after bia every crew members second skill is what the first one was.

second skill at 100%? you probably dont need to listen to me anymore. but commanders 3rd skill should always be recon

i do have one more technique. once commander is working on skills, every battle use free xp to increase his % by 1. pick an amount of free xp that you can always do i pick 500 free xp 

i never do more than 1 point and if it is over 500 xp i wait until it isnt. 

i never do any crew member besides commander (they are getting mentor boost) 

and dont get impatient and do 10 points because it is under 500. you will actually take more battles and use more free xp by being impatient.

premium account, premium tanks, personal reserves, missions, weekend stuff, etc

finally, any zero skill crew you get should be switched with gold to be the commander of a top tier grinding tank even if the current commander has 2 or even 3 skills. zero skill crews can get 4 skills grinding a tier 9 to tier 10 on just that grind alone!

female crews, berlin crews, racing mission crews, holiday crews, new nation crews are all coveted and should be made commanders.

i know i p1zzed in everyones cheerios by not screaming sixth sense but really, you should always consider yourself spotted and stop trying to be sneaky pete.

Edited by highex, Oct 17 2019 - 03:27.

GenPanzer #6 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 03:31

Major

• Players
  • 45497 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT
There are books for 2mil that will help boost your crew even faster. Grind for credits and buy crew XP.

highex #7 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 03:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25567 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL
forgot about books

tod914 #8 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 66089 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View PostAncientFoxx, on Oct 16 2019 - 20:47, said:

What level are you starting them off at?  A good way to do it, is to use your 100% Premium tank crews in your Premium tank.  Spend 2 million credits on a book.  Poof.. instant 1.5 skills.  Then you can retrain him for silver to 90% to what ever tank you want.  Then run your dailies 2x.  Apply your 3x if you have a Premium account.  Use your boosters that you can earn for free.  Even the small books that you get for free help with 100% crews.  I wouldn't bother using them on a 1.5 skill + though.  Gain is very little at that point.  Most importantly on your Premium tanks; make sure you have the check box for crew checked instead of xp.

Peak_Bagger #9 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 06:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20406 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

View Posthighex, on Oct 17 2019 - 03:38, said:

forgot about books

I really should forget about books.  :teethhappy: After the crew retraining sale last week, I spend many millions on crew books. This week I'm grinding back all those credits in Frontlines. I know this is the most efficient approach for improving crews, but man, I feel bad spending all those credits on books!

dunniteowl #10 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 16:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostAncientFoxx, on Oct 16 2019 - 19:47, said:

Not sure how accurate your assessment is about crew, however several factors can be at play.

1)  Account since 2011 and you have 1/3 the battles I have and I joined 3 years later than you.  This means you don't play that often in general.  It's hard to stay good at something if you don't keep at it and it's a lot harder to improve between getting used to playing each time and then stopping again.  This means you don't get to keep your 'reflex memory' of how to do some things consistently, because you are leaving, coming back, leaving coming back -- regularly, but not that often, relative to what we might consider a 'normal' learning curve.

So lack of overall playing can make this training seem to take a really long time.

2)  Playing higher tiers is proving a bit harder for you than you probably would like to admit, but that is slowing your XP progression as well -- you aren't lasting long enough at the upper tiers of your play to do more than barely cover the cost of your shells/repairs/consumables (if that) and your XP from one to two shots of damage at those tiers is pathetically small for the Progression required (and this is ONLY if we are talking Skills and Perks training -- if you're running these tanks with less than 100% Tank Certified Crew in them, you are definitely doing it wrong).

Even so, if your Crew isn't fully Certified or Qualified (that's their Crew qualification at 100% without any boosts, stacks or bonuses) they should at least be a 90% Crew carried over from the previous tank or, at minimum, a 75% Crew purchased with 20K credits per Crew Member.  NEVER, EVER -- EVER -- Start a tank with a 50% Crew!  Just don't.  Don't ask, "Why not?"  

And if you are doing that, there is another thing you can change to improve your situation.  

3)  Your Perception is probably off.  Again, due to not playing that often, when you play, you are probably shelling out for Premium time.  You should try being an FTPP (Free To Play Pubbie) for a while and NOT play your Premium Tanks and see what a difference all that Premium named stuff brings to your table.  It does make a difference.  This error of perception, again, is probably due to not having enough time without the Premium stuff helping you to really see a difference.  This might be another thing you probably should just trust is true and not let your feels get to you.  That stuff SO DOES make a difference.

Now.  I have stopped progressing my tanks past tier VI.  I have an old moldy potato of a laptop made in 2010.  So I just have stopped, because I can't play those tiers at 11 fps and 200+ ping on a wireless rural internet.  It's too much missing information by the time it gets to me.  Even so, I hear plenty of wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth to tell me that 'getting to the end content' is not where it's at for this game.

I would only recommend you drop down a few tiers (back to tiers IV--VI) because you performed better in those tiers as an aggregate than in the others.  This means you can play here, train here and then move crew up that are more Skilled and Perked.  You can (and should) stuff as many different crew as will fit into your Premium Tanks and Double Train your Tech Tree Crews (take Crew trained for your Premiums and Retrain them to Tech Tree Tanks) so that you get that extra X2 (minimum) and then that Premium Bonus to Credit and XP. 

This is the primary reason to have a Premium Tank -- to train crew without penalty in that tank and get that crew a Premium bonus to boot.

I am not the kind of guy that tells folks how to play their tanks on which maps, yada yada yada.  I offer only this:

The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

In it are links to:

the Crew Mechanics from the Global wiki

Game Mechanics from the Global wiki (linked at Vision and Spotting, but you should read all of that)

Sask Outrider's Guides and Thoughts (from the Guides and Tutorials section of these very forums)

Lert's Collection of Guides and Tutorials (also from the Guides and Tutorials section)

Mongoose Jake's Useful Tips/Info/Replay topic

4Tankersanddog's video series, collectively called "Tanking With Science" YT page

and, last, though certainly not least, even though they're old

Zeven's Replay Reviews

All these things are things I found to be the most useful, informative and (most importantly) CLEAR and ACCURATE information that, if applied and understood, WILL improve your game.

To get twice the XP for you, in simple terms, is nothing more than doubling your overall damage per game.  In your case, this should, on average, amount to about 3 more penetrating shots per game.  Use that Welcome Package to help you do that.

Lastly, Personal Reserves are a thing.  WG gives them out like candy.  You should have at least a few dozens of them by now.  Use them.

Look, here's something important about Personal Reserves:  They are nothing more than a booster for XP and Credits in some fashion.  NOTHING more.  When you pop one in, PLAY LIKE NORMAL!!

I cannot overstate that last bit.  When you pop a PR into play, don't suddenly start thinking, "I gotta maximize this thing!"  Huh uh!  Don't do that.  You are already getting a boost, just by using it, so play like normal and focus on just playing your best.  I find that I end up still watching the ends of some matches when I have Reserves running, but I just don't care -- I've got hundreds of them. 

If you play like they are precious, then you will be too passive or too aggressive in the wrong moments, trying to 'get the most' out of that reserve and that allows it to affect how YOU play.  If you do that, you literally are pissing away the value of that Personal Reserve, in my not so humble opinion.  Pop in a set of reserves and then play.  Forget that they are running as much as you can while you play.

Not sure what else I can tell you except to hang in there and remember, patience is the key in this game, both in the short term and the longer term.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Oct 17 2019 - 16:42.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users