Jump to content


Map exclusions was a bad idea, WG


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Oxboy1212 #1 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:33

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 50212 battles
  • 787
  • Member since:
    09-21-2015

Anecdotally, I think the map rotation has become more restricted in the last few months since introducing player-excluded maps.  If players think the maps are bad, just fix them instead of removing them or having the players exclude them.  You go through the effort of making all these maps in the first place, just fix them and throw them ALL in the rotation....even the ones that are too small for Tier 10.

 

Nobody ever said "We have too many maps....we need to slim down the number." 

 

Bad decision, WG.



_Draklor_ #2 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:41

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 9075 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    01-20-2014

Disagree.

Map doesn't need to be "bad" to be excluded. IE if I'm planning to play arty tonight (which I'm not, honestly, you have to believe me!), I'm definitely going to exclude 2 maps I'd feel less comfortable playing in arty (some city maps, obviously).

If I was planning to play Maus, I would probably ended up excluding maps like Prokhorovka or Malinovka, as it's very painful to stay in the open under enemy artillery fire.



GenPanzer #3 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:43

    Major

  • Players
  • 45099 battles
  • 3,814
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT
  • Member since:
    08-15-2011

And what percentage of players dislike should WG use to determine if a map needs fixed? They will never be able to make everyone happy.

 

Map rotation is not determined by which maps are excluded and which ones are not. The system picks the map first, then the teams from the queue. Unless you are claiming that there are so many blocking a specific map and you are getting said map at a much higher rate than normal. I'd say block that map then, lol.

 

And while no one wants less maps, there are players that blocked maps, therefore wanting less maps. Go figure.



tanopasman62 #4 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:44

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21434 battles
  • 4,583
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_
  • Member since:
    12-13-2016

Map rotation was always getting the same 5-8 maps per session and that hasn't changed at all.

 

What did change is that we no longer have to deal with maps we don't enjoy at all, if you don't like it, don't use it, don't ruin the fun for everyone else when it doesn't affect you.



ThePigSheFlies #5 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:48

    Major

  • Players
  • 78304 battles
  • 17,954
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

disagree.

 

if anything there are already way too many maps that are functionally identical in terms of their toxic game play, and we should be able to block more.

 

asking this company to fix things in any form of acceptable time frame is ludicrous.  after all, their own staff have adopted the mocking we came up with when discussing time frames via the soon™ 



tanopasman62 #6 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:56

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21434 battles
  • 4,583
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_
  • Member since:
    12-13-2016

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 17 2019 - 19:48, said:

disagree.

 

if anything there are already way too many maps that are functionally identical in terms of their toxic game play, and we should be able to block more.

 

asking this company to fix things in any form of acceptable time frame is ludicrous.  after all, their own staff have adopted the mocking we came up with when discussing time frames via the soon™ 

 

I'd be content if the map blocks extend to all modes so I can enjoy encounter without being dumped into Prokhorovka.



Rides_with_Death #7 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 19:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 35523 battles
  • 2,543
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS
  • Member since:
    05-02-2011
There are lots of maps, we just only get a small small sample of them on any given day. Now if all the maps where in rotation at the same time I think it would make the game more comfortable 

hikerjon1 #8 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:02

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 39525 battles
  • 487
  • Member since:
    04-28-2013

The variety and the randomness of the game is what makes it enjoyable. I wouldn't mind more focus on improving existing maps and adding some new ones into the mix for everyone. Sometimes you get conditions you like and sometimes you don't--that's what makes the game dynamic and interesting. If it was always the same four or five maps that I liked it would get boring very quickly. I get that players want more control over their games, but the OP has some good points. 

 



Flarvin #9 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 55113 battles
  • 17,243
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostGenPanzer, on Oct 17 2019 - 13:43, said:

And what percentage of players dislike should WG use to determine if a map needs fixed? They will never be able to make everyone happy.

 

Map rotation is not determined by which maps are excluded and which ones are not. The system picks the map first, then the teams from the queue. Unless you are claiming that there are so many blocking a specific map and you are getting said map at a much higher rate than normal. I'd say block that map then, lol.

 

And while no one wants less maps, there are players that blocked maps, therefore wanting less maps. Go figure.


If for a given battle tier, there are not enough players available for a specific map, then that map won’t be used. 
 

Not saying how frequent that happens. 
 

But a single player now has the possibility in deciding not to use a specific map for 29 other players. 



Krupp_Sabot #10 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:07

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 11320 battles
  • 301
  • Member since:
    07-03-2015
Disagree removing Mines form the rotation has done my blood pressure good much like opting out of assault/encounter did.

Vulcan_Spectre #11 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:23

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 6093 battles
  • 1,684
  • [TCM] TCM
  • Member since:
    12-25-2017
Op, Alot of people dont like Paris, I actually enjoy it because Arty can't hit you very well

Hijak #12 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:27

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 16999 battles
  • 334
  • [-G_R-] -G_R-
  • Member since:
    03-21-2011

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Oct 17 2019 - 12:23, said:

Op, Alot of people dont like Paris, I actually enjoy it because Arty can't hit you very well

I used to get Paris a lot when I chose my SPG, but it is blocked for the time being



MagillaGuerilla #13 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:35

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25922 battles
  • 4,734
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013
I could easily block a dozen and not miss them in the least.

Vulcan_Spectre #14 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 20:37

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 6093 battles
  • 1,684
  • [TCM] TCM
  • Member since:
    12-25-2017

View PostHijak, on Oct 17 2019 - 14:27, said:

I used to get Paris a lot when I chose my SPG, but it is blocked for the time being

See? 

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Oct 17 2019 - 14:35, said:

I could easily block a dozen and not miss them in the least.

I bet you'd also miss not waiting for 10+ minutes



MagillaGuerilla #15 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 21:19

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25922 battles
  • 4,734
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Oct 17 2019 - 20:37, said:

See? 

I bet you'd also miss not waiting for 10+ minutes

There's no way to know wait times until it happens. Just because you pull a number out of thin air doesn't make it true.



WeSayNotToday #16 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 21:33

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 24108 battles
  • 1,218
  • Member since:
    04-08-2015

I run premium time, so I get 2 maps excluded.  The game runs pretty well, and I enjoy not seeing those maps on standard; still dislike seeing them on encounter.

 

However, every so often, my map rotation gets quite repetitive.  Not often, something like once a month.  I ascribe this to BOTH of my excluded maps being in rotation that day, thus map rotation for me that day is affected noticeably.

 

It's a fine system, it just makes me want to exclude more, lol, which brings to mind, "do what you can on the map you are given," and that exclusion is maybe not such a great idea.

 

Interesting points, OP.


Edited by WeSayNotToday, Oct 17 2019 - 21:35.


TastyPastry #17 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 21:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 30024 battles
  • 1,628
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013
It's pretty great that I haven't played Glacier or Airfield since the map blocking came out, so I'm not complaining. 

JakeTheMystic #18 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 22:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 25135 battles
  • 3,052
  • [OPIC] OPIC
  • Member since:
    12-30-2011

I've blocked ghost town and erlenberg (I really prefer the old erlenberg, the new one only promotes camping).

 

If I could block more I would do prok, mali, muro, empires border, ensk, fishermans bay, fjords, highway, himmelsdorf, karelia, lakeville, live oaks, mines, minsk, mountain pass, overlord, paris, pilsen, province, redshire, ruinberg, serene coast, Siegfried line, stepps, studzianki, tundra, westfield, widepark, mannerham, glacier, kharkov, airfield, el halluf, sand river, uninstall the game and play a game where the devs actually listen to community suggestions. 



Harvester_0f_Sorrow #19 Posted Oct 17 2019 - 23:49

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29606 battles
  • 1,426
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostOxboy1212, on Oct 17 2019 - 10:33, said:

Anecdotally, I think the map rotation has become more restricted in the last few months since introducing player-excluded maps.  If players think the maps are bad, just fix them instead of removing them or having the players exclude them.  You go through the effort of making all these maps in the first place, just fix them and throw them ALL in the rotation....even the ones that are too small for Tier 10.

 

Nobody ever said "We have too many maps....we need to slim down the number."

 

Bad decision, WG.

Yep I love prok but hardly ever see it now



Maniac57c #20 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 00:37

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1224 battles
  • 167
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    02-24-2016
They will fix it......soon™




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users