Map exclusions was a bad idea, WG

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Volcanic_lobster_220 #21 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 03:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8802 battles

When i know i'm going to be playing heavies i block Prok and Malinovka,

The only backfire is you have to wait 4 HOURS to unblock/change maps......

spud_tuber #22 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 03:26

Major

• Players
  • 59827 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 17 2019 - 12:48, said:

disagree.

if anything there are already way too many maps that are functionally identical in terms of their toxic game play, and we should be able to block more.

asking this company to fix things in any form of acceptable time frame is ludicrous.  after all, their own staff have adopted the mocking we came up with when discussing time frames via the soon™ 

I would be surprised if soon™ was invented here.  I was seeing it used in EvE Online before I ever heard of WoT, and i would guess it is even older than that.

Darkbee2Bee #23 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:09

Major

• Players
  • 36707 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
I'm not aware of any map in WoT that is universally agreed upon as good.  Every map will always have it's supporters and detractors.

RacWisco #24 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 76187 battles
  • [MOOBS] MOOBS
Proof that some would gripe about free money.

jeb2 #25 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 52500 battles
  • [HU] HU
I, for one, hope never to see Paris again.

KingRat #26 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 21758 battles

Studzianki- Best Map music in the game; kinda Romanian Gypsy drinking music that goes great with single-malt-scotch!

Edited by KingRat, Oct 18 2019 - 13:23.

Sevorejar #27 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 723 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostOxboy1212, on Oct 17 2019 - 19:33, said:

Anecdotally, I think the map rotation has become more restricted in the last few months since introducing player-excluded maps.  If players think the maps are bad, just fix them instead of removing them or having the players exclude them.  You go through the effort of making all these maps in the first place, just fix them and throw them ALL in the rotation....even the ones that are too small for Tier 10.

Nobody ever said "We have too many maps....we need to slim down the number." 

Bad decision, WG.

I haven't seen Ensk, it is a great thing.

Edited by Izgoy0899, Oct 18 2019 - 13:29.

Sevorejar #28 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:40

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 723 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostKingRat, on Oct 18 2019 - 13:21, said:

Studzianki- Best Map music in the game; kinda Romanian Gypsy drinking music that goes great with single-malt-scotch!

Always reminds me of the movie Savior.  I know Savior was Balkins but the music sounds similar. 

ThePigSheFlies #29 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 13:42

Major

• Players
  • 78304 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Posthikerjon1, on Oct 17 2019 - 14:02, said:

The variety and the randomness of the game is what makes it enjoyable. I wouldn't mind more focus on improving existing maps and adding some new ones into the mix for everyone. Sometimes you get conditions you like and sometimes you don't--that's what makes the game dynamic and interesting. If it was always the same four or five maps that I liked it would get boring very quickly. I get that players want more control over their games, but the OP has some good points. 

except there isn't any variety or randomness.  after 8 years of playing himmelsdumb, mt pass or abbey, it's the same crap basically every time...  and when one of those maps gets stuck in rotation, like mt pass has for the last week it just leads to tilt and/or log off for many of us.

I can deal with the occasional arty focus, which tilts most people

I can deal with loss streaks (within reason)

I can even deal with the non stop non-participants, passive players, afkers, and griefers.

It's the stupid old maps of cancerously funnel/small/city designs that cause me to stop playing.

If I wanted to play on a DOTA map, I'd be playing DOTA...

_Juris #30 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 14:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19798 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

I think it's actually one of the better ideas they've had recently (not that there is that much competition).  Presuming that they can track which maps get banned, it would provide them actual, useful, unbiased data about which maps are most in need of being updated.  From the player surveys on the topic i've seen, the top four that I would ban are exactly the ones I would have guessed (Empire's Border, which is a complete useless s***show on normal mode, Minsk, Paris, and Airfield).  Honestly, if I could ban those four, I could live with the rest, although i'd be looking at Mountain Pass, Abbey, Fjords, and Ghost Town with a skeptical eye.

Basically, Pig has it right.  The calculus for whether to ban a map is probably a combination of two things.  First, is the map so predictable in terms of gameplay meta that when I load in, I know exactly where all the friendly and enemy tanks will go (and i'll be right >90% of the time).  Second, if the first is true, do I at least have a decent area to go and fight in, no matter what kind of tank I brought?  If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the second is no, onto the banned list you go.

ThePigSheFlies #31 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 78304 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Post_Juris, on Oct 18 2019 - 08:59, said:

I think it's actually one of the better ideas they've had recently (not that there is that much competition).  Presuming that they can track which maps get banned, it would provide them actual, useful, unbiased data about which maps are most in need of being updated.  From the player surveys on the topic i've seen, the top four that I would ban are exactly the ones I would have guessed (Empire's Border, which is a complete useless s***show on normal mode, Minsk, Paris, and Airfield).  Honestly, if I could ban those four, I could live with the rest, although i'd be looking at Mountain Pass, Abbey, Fjords, and Ghost Town with a skeptical eye.

Basically, Pig has it right.  The calculus for whether to ban a map is probably a combination of two things.  First, is the map so predictable in terms of gameplay meta that when I load in, I know exactly where all the friendly and enemy tanks will go (and i'll be right >90% of the time).  Second, if the first is true, do I at least have a decent area to go and fight in, no matter what kind of tank I brought?  If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the second is no, onto the banned list you go.

I'll add to this a bit.  People love to whine about "skill rounds" - enough so that wargaming is spending an inordinate amount of time on a proposed rework of them.  Hilariously, skill in this game isn't about what round you pick, it's about positioning.  And if the map forces certain positioning due to corridorization, then THAT needs to be the focus, not redoing the stupid premium rounds.

When I'm on a map that allows what I call 'flow' I rarely fire premium rounds.  When I'm on a map that forces mainly face-check shots, then I spam them out of tilt, even when I don't need them.  This sometimes leads to some of my highest damage games, but I don't enjoy a single solitary moment on those maps (mt pass hello?)

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5060530#mountain_pass-thepigsheflies-t-44-100

OLDIRTYBOMBER #32 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 16:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12243 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY

View PostOxboy1212, on Oct 17 2019 - 19:33, said:

If players think the maps are bad, just fix them instead of removing them or having the players exclude them. 

Nice meme bro. Way too many sht maps in this game.

Steeldeathdriver #33 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 16:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 32460 battles

I am so happy to be able to block 2 maps.

the new Kharkov is horrible to me with that trench bifurcating the map.

and Fishermans bay.

so happy not to see either of those maps period.  ever.

SargeanTravis #34 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 18:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3010 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU

You mean =map exclusions is a somewhat good idea?

Having to never play on Widepark again takes away a lot of stress from me

AllieOop2 #35 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 19:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 17 2019 - 22:39, said:

I've blocked ghost town and erlenberg (I really prefer the old erlenberg, the new one only promotes camping).

If I could block more I would do prok, mali, muro, empires border, ensk, fishermans bay, fjords, highway, himmelsdorf, karelia, lakeville, live oaks, mines, minsk, mountain pass, overlord, paris, pilsen, province, redshire, ruinberg, serene coast, Siegfried line, stepps, studzianki, tundra, westfield, widepark, mannerham, glacier, kharkov, airfield, el halluf, sand river, uninstall the game and play a game where the devs actually listen to community suggestions. 

Worst thing a gaming company can do is listen to a vocal minority espousing their ideas of what the game should be. Typically its their personal wants that are not good for the game or majority like you do frequently.

golruul #36 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 20:53

Captain

• Players
  • 22183 battles

Yes, WG, please fix your maps.  Aim for 50% of maps being open and allowing flanking.  More Prok, less corridor/funnel maps please.

...and herein lies the problem.  I want an equal amount of open maps that allow flanking while many people absolutely loath open maps and think they shouldn't exist.

thehelmsman #37 Posted Dec 06 2019 - 22:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8826 battles

View Postgolruul, on Oct 18 2019 - 14:53, said:

Yes, WG, please fix your maps.  Aim for 50% of maps being open and allowing flanking.  More Prok, less corridor/funnel maps please.

...and herein lies the problem.  I want an equal amount of open maps that allow flanking while many people absolutely loath open maps and think they shouldn't exist.

Indeed. Prokhorovka is one of my favorite maps because despite it being open and lacking cover, control of the middle is usually what decides the match, rather than the middle being a giant no-man's-land like it is on Live Oaks, Studzianki, Highway, and so many other 'open' maps. Winning plays can be made from almost anywhere on Prok. The only time it really sucks is when it's a 3-Arty game.

--Helms

UFO_Sailor #38 Posted Dec 06 2019 - 23:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 33170 battles
  • [W--W] W--W

some people like certain maps and some don't. 

some people use the feature and some don't.

Seems like a good thing to me.

Spammy #39 Posted Dec 07 2019 - 00:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 67835 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
I won't miss that occasional jerk who would say at the start of a battle "I hate this map, killing myself."  then proceed to drive off a cliff.  I am thankful for map exclusion.

Sevensided #40 Posted Dec 07 2019 - 02:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 671 battles
As an aside- is there anyway to see your stats by map?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users