What is the point of Artillery when Tank Destroyers exist?

arty td

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

alphadogg64 #21 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 22:42

Captain

• Players
  • 1163 battles

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Oct 20 2019 - 14:14, said:

Perhaps you need to take the advice ;-) Arty hater :arta::justwait::child::P

no u

Izrith #22 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 09:45

Private

• -Players-
  • 612 battles

Thus far my question has not been answered:

Why would you ever play arty when TDs exist?

TD fulfills the "sniping enemies" function far better than arty does. And they don't have 20-4 second reload times. And they don't have 10-15 second aiming times. And they can move at more than a snails pace. And many of them have good armor with the option of frontlining. And they have decent view ranges. And vastly more damage. And I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Arty has no use in the game its in current state. I do not care what it once was.

Arty used to be the "if you camp behind this hill, arty is gonna smush you". Now it's "if you camp behind this hill, arty is going to tickle your outer armor layer and make your dudes take an extra picosecond or two to reload".

I have ALWAYS believed that TDs were overpowered, but at least they had some competition for the whole 'sniping' thing when arty did good damage. Now they just dominate absolutely everything, which is why the amount of TDs in que is always significantly higher than all the other tank types.

I also do not understand why arty complainers say nothing about TD, but that's a separate discussion.

alphadogg64 #23 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 10:01

Captain

• Players
  • 1163 battles

View PostIzrith, on Oct 21 2019 - 08:45, said:

Thus far my question has not been answered:

Why would you ever play arty when TDs exist?

TD fulfills the "sniping enemies" function far better than arty does. And they don't have 20-4 second reload times. And they don't have 10-15 second aiming times. And they can move at more than a snails pace. And many of them have good armor with the option of frontlining. And they have decent view ranges. And vastly more damage. And I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Arty has no use in the game its in current state. I do not care what it once was.

Arty used to be the "if you camp behind this hill, arty is gonna smush you". Now it's "if you camp behind this hill, arty is going to tickle your outer armor layer and make your dudes take an extra picosecond or two to reload".

I have ALWAYS believed that TDs were overpowered, but at least they had some competition for the whole 'sniping' thing when arty did good damage. Now they just dominate absolutely everything, which is why the amount of TDs in que is always significantly higher than all the other tank types.

I also do not understand why arty complainers say nothing about TD, but that's a separate discussion.

TD's require a lot more skill to play, involve a lot more positioning and map awareness. Arty has none of that. Point, click, do 500 damage. Oh, and the fact that TDs need a direct line of sight within the render range, whereas arty does not.

And it still does a craptonne of damage. 694 and 485 to the front of my tier 9 heavy tank, whereas TD's were completely unable to hit me. 

psb5DaO.jpg

Izrith #24 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 10:34

Private

• -Players-
  • 612 battles

I am HIGHLY doubtful of any claim that TDs "take more skill to play", given that they do the exact same thing Arty does except without god view.

Additionally, that STILL does not answer the question.

Keep trying though, I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

alphadogg64 #25 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 10:46

Captain

• Players
  • 1163 battles

View PostIzrith, on Oct 21 2019 - 09:34, said:

I am HIGHLY doubtful of any claim that TDs "take more skill to play", given that they do the exact same thing Arty does except without god view.

Try thinking for once, thanks

Rena_Dyne #26 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 9108 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

View PostIzrith, on Oct 21 2019 - 01:34, said:

You mean besides having to sit in direct lines of fire, where they can be spotted, and fired back upon {even when not spotted if your skilled at tracking hitmarkers}, besides actually having to *Pen* a target to deal damage {Barring outliers like the SU-152 and the Deathstar.}, having to actually put themselves at risk to fire upon a target, since the target can fire back, and being unable to quite literally shoot over walls? ANd theirs several arty in the game, including the T92, that can still do over 1K HP in damage on a direct hit.

Tell you what, when the TD's get to sit in base and snipe every position on the map without moving, you'll have a point.

mworthy #27 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 17:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11383 battles
  • [941ST] 941ST

View PostIzrith, on Oct 20 2019 - 02:42, said:

No, I'm not trolling.

I legitimately do not understand what the point of even having arty is when TDs exist; TD's do twice, sometimes three times more damage, at the exact same extreme ranges, with far shorter reload and aiming times than arty does.

Do not say stun. Stun does nothing. If stun stopped an enemy tank from firing, then perhaps it would have an effect; as it is, it does nothing.

I also do not understand why people who whine about arty say -NOTHING- about TDs when TDs are and always have been by FAR worse examples of '1 shot you out of nowhere', given that they have the view ranges to sit in bushes and spot you coming then 1 shot you. Arty could never do that; they could only fire at targets others had spotted in 99% of cases. Not to mention that many TDs have armor as good as or better than heavies, AND can move at a decent speed.

Basically what I'm saying here is that either arty needs to have its damage reverted and remove this ridiculous 'stun' mechanic that does literally nothing, or nerf TD by an extreme amount.

well when the game came out and before everyone was crying about 'muh heavy tank died because bs'. yeah arty was suppose to be your main damage dealer on your team the queen of the battlefield but after the great arty nerf ,which btw went to far, arty became more of a support role and even more so when Stun came out. and the hilarity of this all people are still whining about how op arty is,

WhineMaker #28 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 38618 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA
Be on the lookout for my soon to be announced "Arty STUNNING Makeover Contest:girl:

Mikosah #29 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 23:46

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostRena_Dyne, on Oct 23 2019 - 08:19, said:

You mean besides having to sit in direct lines of fire, where they can be spotted, and fired back upon {even when not spotted if your skilled at tracking hitmarkers}, besides actually having to *Pen* a target to deal damage {Barring outliers like the SU-152 and the Deathstar.}, having to actually put themselves at risk to fire upon a target, since the target can fire back, and being unable to quite literally shoot over walls? ANd theirs several arty in the game, including the T92, that can still do over 1K HP in damage on a direct hit.

Tell you what, when the TD's get to sit in base and snipe every position on the map without moving, you'll have a point.

This.

TDs are no less dependent on the entire gamut of the game's mechanics and general knowledge than lights, mediums, or heavies. Arta on the other hand requires nothing of the sort. The game is an exercise in establishing/breaking line of sight for tactical advantage in different situations, yet here's this gimmick that lobs shells independent of line of sight or render limits. The phrase 'click on the red tanks' contains the entire lexicon of every tactic, strategy, and technique that artillery gameplay has ever required. To answer the OP's question, the point of arta is to give the illusion of playing WoT without having to go through any of the processes of actually playing it.

choSenfroZen_1 #30 Posted Oct 24 2019 - 21:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6346 battles
  • [GITS] GITS

View Postalphadogg64, on Oct 21 2019 - 01:01, said:

TD's require a lot more skill to play, involve a lot more positioning and map awareness. Arty has none of that. Point, click, do 500 damage. Oh, and the fact that TDs need a direct line of sight within the render range, whereas arty does not.

And it still does a craptonne of damage. 694 and 485 to the front of my tier 9 heavy tank, whereas TD's were completely unable to hit me. 

psb5DaO.jpg

The mere fact you whine like a toddler who lost his soother, over a game piece shows, the skill you need is avoiding fire from 1/5th of a game.

Your river of tears, though loud, constant and consistent, really shows one thing. You are sad because you cannot figure out artillery.

Instead of figuring it out, your solution is to puke over every artillery posting like the obvious little kid you are. Rather sad.

The farther away a target is , the harder it is to hit. What are you, a juvenile and stupid as well. I suppose someone throwing a ball into a basket is an easier from farther away than right beside. You are desperate, Mr. Reroll

Anticipation and actually leading targets takes skill. Finding lines to shoot is hard.

Running like a girl to the favorite bush and then just placing a reticle over a target and clicking . sounds rather simple to me. Even if the target is moving, what, sort of lead the tank. Half a vehicle length,, ooo so hard.

Give it up. Reroll.

alphadogg64 #31 Posted Oct 24 2019 - 22:48

Captain

• Players
  • 1163 battles

View PostchoSenfroZen_1, on Oct 24 2019 - 20:01, said:

The mere fact you whine like a toddler who lost his soother, over a game piece shows, the skill you need is avoiding fire from 1/5th of a game.

Your river of tears, though loud, constant and consistent, really shows one thing. You are sad because you cannot figure out artillery.

Instead of figuring it out, your solution is to puke over every artillery posting like the obvious little kid you are. Rather sad.

The farther away a target is , the harder it is to hit. What are you, a juvenile and stupid as well. I suppose someone throwing a ball into a basket is an easier from farther away than right beside. You are desperate, Mr. Reroll

Anticipation and actually leading targets takes skill. Finding lines to shoot is hard.

Running like a girl to the favorite bush and then just placing a reticle over a target and clicking . sounds rather simple to me. Even if the target is moving, what, sort of lead the tank. Half a vehicle length,, ooo so hard.

Give it up. Reroll.

Let's just hover over the little eye... Oh, 44% and 2k. How surprising, not typical of an arty apologist at all.

WhineMaker #32 Posted Oct 24 2019 - 23:27

Major

• Players
  • 38618 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View Postalphadogg64, on Oct 24 2019 - 13:48, said:

Let's just hover over the little eye... Oh, 44% and 2k. How surprising, not typical of an arty apologist at all.

#TheKiddoRageIsReal

#MultiDayEpicTantrumInProgress

#PermaBannedRagerPostingFromAnAlt

#WaddedPantiesBestPanties

alphadogg64 #33 Posted Oct 24 2019 - 23:31

Captain

• Players
  • 1163 battles

View PostWhineMaker, on Oct 24 2019 - 22:27, said:

#TheKiddoRageIsReal

#MultiDayEpicTantrumInProgress

#PermaBannedRagerPostingFromAnAlt

#WaddedPantiesBestPanties

#ImALonelyBoomerWithNothingBetterToDoThanToCallPeopleKidsThenAttemptToBullySaidKids

choSenfroZen_1 #34 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 01:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6346 battles
  • [GITS] GITS

View Postalphadogg64, on Oct 24 2019 - 13:48, said:

Not the sharpest tack in the box are you.

You seem to have two modes.

Whine like a child over artillery, when you know, and hopefully knew it was in the game. Everything is available for you to figure out how the mean tank works. As I said, your juvenile whines, still resonate. They are an indicator of one thing. A toddler frustrated the game is mean to him. A real player figures out what is in the game, for the sole purpose of frustrating players. Then figures out how to play without being miserable and frustrated.

Your solution, typical for a child as yourself, to complain, cry and hope grown ups will fix it for you.

You play a grown up game. Lots of other do as well. I enjoy myself. I spend money and guess what ya moron.

I too was frustrated. I then learnt to ignore them. I played a bit of arty, figured out how not to get frustrated and ta da. I have fun with the game.

You sad sack really miss the purpose of games.

Your other mode. Attack as if numbers mean something, pathetic reroll sad sack.

Why some like yourself  ties the entertainment of others to a set of pointless numbers, baffles.   You are the moron hung up on stats, not me, I have fun, win or lose.

Arty apologist. Not sure what you mean. I just follow you around, because you are a real  arrogant sad reroll,  who implies consistently your superiority. All while hiding your indubitably poor real account.

If you have a point share, otherwise your complaints show one thing. Just how sad you are. Grow up, either have fun with the game or not. You are miserable, just quit.

Edited by choSenfroZen_1, Oct 25 2019 - 01:19.

Kesslan #35 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 09:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13327 battles

I find it funny as hell that all these complaints from people calling artillery 'clickers' and 'takes no skill' actually don't know crapabout artillery. I also guarantee none of those people could actually hit half their targets and wouldn't be able to hit a target on the move without pure dumb luck. Proper arty often requires repositioning, knowing how to counter battery, what to look for on the map as signs of moving vehicles, how to aim for the tracers, how to shift to aim to hit targets under cover or when you can't at all without major relocation, Then also know -where- to aim for on a tank to actually do damage. Or know that, yes, Arty can hit a target, and like any other tank, do zero damage. You can even bounce arty shells, though it's quite uncommon due to the angle they come in at. But I've seen it happen on multiple occasions, I've seen tanks bounce shells I've fired, and I've been in tanks that bounced arty shells that hit my armour. Also given that arty does... really crap damage these days... it's not much of a threat. Most lights don't even take that much damage from a shot anymore half the time. If I'm in a fight and i'm taking fire from arty and a tank, my only real concern is the other tank. The arty will take a good long while to chip away at the armour compared to an enemy tank or TD, and a TD is a massive threat compared to arty, and half the time you can't even see them.

But no, it's the arty they all [edited]about. Even if arty was taken out of the game, they'd [edited]about something else though, probably TDs because they'll whine about how they can't see the TD shooting them.

GRINCH7777 #36 Posted Nov 05 2019 - 00:12

Captain

• Players
  • 48235 battles
  • [SHUSH] SHUSH

View PostIzrith, on Oct 20 2019 - 01:42, said:

No, I'm not trolling.

I legitimately do not understand what the point of even having arty is when TDs exist; TD's do twice, sometimes three times more damage, at the exact same extreme ranges, with far shorter reload and aiming times than arty does.

Do not say stun. Stun does nothing. If stun stopped an enemy tank from firing, then perhaps it would have an effect; as it is, it does nothing.

I also do not understand why people who whine about arty say -NOTHING- about TDs when TDs are and always have been by FAR worse examples of '1 shot you out of nowhere', given that they have the view ranges to sit in bushes and spot you coming then 1 shot you. Arty could never do that; they could only fire at targets others had spotted in 99% of cases. Not to mention that many TDs have armor as good as or better than heavies, AND can move at a decent speed.

Basically what I'm saying here is that either arty needs to have its damage reverted and remove this ridiculous 'stun' mechanic that does literally nothing, or nerf TD by an extreme amount.

View PostIzrith, on Oct 20 2019 - 01:42, said:

No, I'm not trolling.

....at less than 1000 games you dont know enough about the game to say sh&&.......get back to us when you have some real game experience.

Also tagged with arty, td

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users