Boycott Game Codes for Missions & Events other than Scavenger Hunts

boycott Mission Codes Confusion Clutter Revert Mission UI to 1.0 Free Mission Acceptance No Codes

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #1 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 17:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I don't get upset about very much at all for this game.  I'm a pretty zen guy most times.

Today I have decided that I have had enough of all these codes.  I'm not mad.  I just don't see the point and, no matter what WG says, I intend to completely BOYCOTT ALL MISSIONS THAT REQUIRE CODES other than Scavenger Hunts, which, the seeking out of codes and clues are part and parcel of such an "event."  I do not need codes to play this game and I will happily miss out on event rewards if codes continue to be part of the plan.

I did not participate in the Halloween Trick or Treat Event (and Hallowe'en is my FAVORITE Holiday, more so than Christmas) for the Sole Reason that I am just TIRED of constantly seeking out the codes each month to play what used to be regular events that didn't require a code.

The 'explanation' of the Mission UI 2.0 being too cluttered with all these missions, thus we need codes to reduce the clutter, is such a NON ANSWER that I must shake my head in wonder at the density of this sort of thinking.

The REAL PROBLEM was making Mission UI 2.0.  It removed a lot of the clarity of textual information and replaced it with much larger graphical iconography that bespeaks a lack of improvement instead of increasing it.  This is WHY the Mission UI' is so cluttered.  The Mission UI 2.0 is the problem.

So.  I'm boycotting all codes other than Scavenger Hunts because WG HAS A BETTER ANSWER ALREADY.

Adding the requirement to enter codes is not that onerous (or difficult, if you don't know that word) however, I am playing World of Tanks, not World of Entering Codes.  I dont want to enter codes just to play a mission.  I shouldn't HAVE to.  So I'm NOT PLAYING ANY MISSIONS THAT REQUIRE CODES other than Scavenger Hunts.

Again, I am not mad.  I'm tired.  I find that, lately, I am spending more time hunting down codes and entering them than ever before.  This IMPACTS my Enjoyment by increasing the HASSLE FACTOR to play.  I'm ending the Hassle Factor by Boycotting Mission Codes.

I hope, that if you feel as I do, that this just isn't what we should be being distracted by in the game, that you, too, will join me in BOYCOTTING MISSION CODES by NOT PLAYING MISSIONS that require them if they are not Scavenger Hunts.

If the Amount of players "Participating" in the missions by signing onto the boycott drops enough, maybe WG will get the hint that maybe they should ASK us before adding more unnecessary hoops for us to jump through just to play like we used to before these codes appeared to screw things up.

I do hope you will join me in this attempt.

NO CODES!  No Codes!  NO CODES! No Codes!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Exiledcrow #2 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 50387 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
But hey, they're giving us a new launcher that absolutely nobody wanted ... :rolleyes:

dunniteowl #3 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 17:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Right.  This is the real deep issue here.  WG adding stuff without even asking the community or the player base at large if we're even remotely interested.  I think this Code Thing should be the focal point for letting WG know, "We're not interested in this crap.  We want to PLAY."

OvO

Arf_84 #4 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 17:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3817 battles
OP, I sympathize with you one hundred percent.  I hate the use of codes.  However, I don't think that boycotting those events requiring codes is the solution.  Doing so will not materially affect WG's financial bottom line.  And, as I see it, that's the only strategy that will get their attention.  Many, many threads on the forum have made it clear to everyone that there is a substantial amount of opposition to the codes.  And yet WG has not seen fit to discontinue the practice.  And i do not believe they will relent until an organized group of protesters puts a significant dent in their bank statement.

ElfMagi2 #5 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:06

Captain

• Players
  • 60597 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

I just stop buying stuff.

They have missed out on 9 months of my money so far this year.

They have killed the On-Track missions with the base XP so I don't need that code.

The Tank Mastery missions only give free xp boosters and I don't need any of them so I don't need that code.

There was a petition started over 4 months ago:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/605875-petition-stop-mission-code-redemption/page__p__12149470#entry12149470

Seems that did not help either.

_Katyusha___ #6 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16871 battles
  • [KTSHA] KTSHA

Too much effort to you?

We have codes because whinners complained about the effort required to look at their missions progress in-game, they even complained for "non-USA" missions showing up even when they got free stuff for playing the game! Too much lazyness and very short attention span, even xenophobia in some cases.

You want free stuff, search for the codes. Too lazy to enter codes? you get nothing

I_QQ_4_U #7 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 23399 battles
They are rather annoying at times. I've been playing the Panther/Panther II for the last week or so since it's on track and just unlocked the E50 and never noticed I didn't activate the code for the missions. I thought I had done it already because the tanks were on sale in the garage.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostArf_84, on Oct 20 2019 - 10:57, said:

OP, I sympathize with you one hundred percent.  I hate the use of codes.  However, I don't think that boycotting those events requiring codes is the solution.  Doing so will not materially affect WG's financial bottom line.  And, as I see it, that's the only strategy that will get their attention.  Many, many threads on the forum have made it clear to everyone that there is a substantial amount of opposition to the codes.  And yet WG has not seen fit to discontinue the practice.  And i do not believe they will relent until an organized group of protesters puts a significant dent in their bank statement.

In this case, it has NOTHING to do with Bottom Line as cash.  The idea behind the codes was to both allow folks to 'streamline' their Mission UI 2.0 interface clutter and to allow them to track how much participation there is in the missions.

If people stop entering codes for the missions, then WG should note a drop in participation in the Missions fairly quickly.  At that point, maybe they will start to think these things through and maybe, if nothing else, tap some Community Members to test out their ideas and plans such that it can actually be tested before being released to the rest of us like an unknown plague of frustration.

I like the game, I am going to continue to play it if I can (the WGC may kill me from playing, I'll find out tomorrow) as long as I can, but I am NOT GOING TO ENTER CODES for STANDARD MISSIONS.  That's no longer a factor for me.  No Codes!  No Codes!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

GWyatt #9 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4208 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

While I don't disagree that codes are a pita dunniteowl, now that many, if not all, mission codes are in the article announcing the mission, why are they still such a big deal.

What it comes down to, WG/WGNA puts out announcements and articles that all too often are ignored by players that later come back and wonder why they did not know about whatever was announced/written about. Codes are one method to change one's behavior to look for and read WOT news. I suspect that getting these articles in front of players is also a reason for the WGC as links to those articles are right there in the WGC for the player to see.

Arf_84 #10 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3817 battles
dunniteowl, my point was not that avoiding coded missions would affect WG's bottom line but rather that the only sort of protest that might succeed will require action that would affect the bottom line.  As long as their cash flow remains constant, I doubt very much that a drop in participation rates in specific missions will get their attention.  I could be wrong.

omi5cron #11 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 23894 battles

also throw in the fact that its ONLY HERE ON NA! no other serverhas this extra hoopage. if it were beneficial in any REAL way...it would be best if ALL servers had them.we are the smallest (by far) server, yet we get this added annoyance. my position has been pretty clear for a while..if there be any misunderstanding...my sig says it all. while this code BS is here on NA,no more money.and actually there are about 4 tanks that i have passed up due to my personal decision.

either take away the code nonsense (best option) or also include ALL servers across the world.

WhineMaker #12 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 38618 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA
The only one losing out is those unwilling to make a minimal effort to receive FREE stuff... :facepalm:

HOTA_CHATON #13 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:28

Major

• Players
  • 13602 battles
  • [MSG] MSG

I quit purchasing anything, quite a while back.  Got tired of WG not listening to anyone but the RU player base. That is so wrong of them to do that.  I realize it's there biggest server(s) population but that doesn't make it right but any stretch.  There are many other servers out here who are tired of the codes, the endless screw ups they keep making by catering to just one group, and so forth.  Codes are a huge annoyance to me and I realize it only takes a few seconds to punch one but I have quit.  From now on, I am only going to play the game.  I will no longer click on codes, do special missions, etc.  Even if I were financially able to purchase anything right, now, I wouldn't as I am tired of the junk WG just keep throwing at us as if we want it.

OP, I am behind you, I am boycotting WG financially, etc and just playing the game.

Exiledcrow #14 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:32

Major

• Players
  • 50387 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

It's absolutely pointless hoop-jumping, poor design and rather than engaging players with the website it breaks immersion in-game. Seems like a backfire waiting to happen, with numerous minuses and zero pluses and a dumb choice by WG-NA all the way around.

And even WG must think it's stupid since they can't manage to reliably update on time.

Arf_84 #15 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3817 battles

The only one losing out is those unwilling to make a minimal effort to receive FREE stuff... 

But that's the issue, isn't it?  Judging by the number of threads on this "feature", quite a number of players consider codes to be a bit more than a minimal effort.  Late codes, codes that don't work, codes that are buried in sub-menus and being singled out on the NA server add up to what many feel are a substantial annoyance.  Your mileage obviously varies.

Edited by Arf_84, Oct 20 2019 - 18:33.

Insanefriend #16 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:35

Captain

• Players
  • 46920 battles

Do what I did submit a polite support ticket about how much you dislike the codes.  The answer I got back was roughly it's to drive people to the website.  As you need to click on every news thing to see if there is some dumb code.  This both increases the views for sales on new premium tanks, along with allowing them to show that stupid banner after activating a code for a advertisement for something else in the shop.

The question is how much push back do we need to give as a community before they scrap the idea?  How do we get heard as players to the point they care enough to provide us with any sort of respect?

VooDooKobra #17 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:39

Major

• Players
  • 10040 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostExiledcrow, on Oct 20 2019 - 09:32, said:

But hey, they're giving us a new launcher that absolutely nobody wanted ... :rolleyes:

thats the way the industry is, you either deal with launchers or quit gaming because every company is using them.  they are the new standard since steam came out

Arf_84 #18 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3817 battles

The question is how much push back do we need to give as a community before they scrap the idea? 

As I posted above, imo there is only one answer, simple in concept, difficult in execution:  organize a sufficiently large pool of paying players to close their wallets until the problem is addressed.  Good luck on that.

Vulcan_Spectre #19 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5607 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
Don't do em, don't get free stuff, I mean you can boycott wm

largeelvis #20 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 18:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20181 battles
It's just being lazy or cheap. They don't want to pay people to implement the events, they want their users to take fulfillment out of the equation. They just want the dollars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users