• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Avalon304 #21 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 23884 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postjeb2, on Oct 21 2019 - 12:34, said:

I thought HE was the best ammo against wheelies.  The chance of pen was high, inflicting full damage, and all hits had samage chances.

AP, OTOH, could bounce and would have lower damage after pen than the same caliber HE that pens.

Why is AP better?

The chance of pen is no higher than it is on most other light tanks, in fact it might be less since the wheel take up so much of the side profile of a wheeled vehicle.. If HE doesnt pen, it does half-damage minus a bunch of other things that can and often does result in damage that is less than what a comparable HE shell will do. AP can bounce, but is far more consistent when dealing damage against wheeled vehicles. Further more HE shells generally have lower velocity than AP or APCR rounds and that can make it hard to ensure that you hit the target at all.

HE is the far less reliable round to shoot at wheeled vehicles.

Meanwhile the HE changes are removing wheeled vehicles high penetration HE, effectivly giving tracked light tanks a buff against them.

View Posthikerjon1, on Oct 21 2019 - 13:31, said:

With the new changes, HE (especially low caliber) will be far less effective against the little buggers.

Low caliber HE is far more consistent and effective on the sandbox server than it is on live and high caliber is still effective against lightly armored vehicles.

jeb2 #22 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 52437 battles
  • [HU] HU

I do not sense much if any shell velocity delta between AP and HE, but I confess I have not been looking for it.

Specifically, in my SU-122-44, I do not detect any velocity delta between AP and HE.

Apache1990 #23 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 00:52

Major

• Players
  • 35614 battles

View Postjeb2, on Oct 21 2019 - 18:00, said:

I do not sense much if any shell velocity delta between AP and HE, but I confess I have not been looking for it.

Specifically, in my SU-122-44, I do not detect any velocity delta between AP and HE.

It depends on the gun.  Some HE is much slower than the AP ammo (especially on guns with high velocity APCR standard), and some guns have rather high HE velocity (armored cars being a prominent example).

Although now that I go to look at the stats, it looks like all HE has the same velocity as regular AP now?  Not sure if a glitch in datamined stats, or if it changed at some point.

Avalon304 #24 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 04:02

Major

• Players
  • 23884 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostApache1990, on Oct 21 2019 - 16:52, said:

It depends on the gun.  Some HE is much slower than the AP ammo (especially on guns with high velocity APCR standard), and some guns have rather high HE velocity (armored cars being a prominent example).

Although now that I go to look at the stats, it looks like all HE has the same velocity as regular AP now?  Not sure if a glitch in datamined stats, or if it changed at some point.

As you said, it depends on the gun. Lots of tier 8 mediums havs slower HE than AP. (As well as anything with APCR standard, so most other light tanks). I honestly am not sure Id trust tanks.gg right now though... it hasnt been updated since 1.6 and even before that it had been having some wrong stats on it.

Even still, if HE did have the same muzzle velociy I still wouldnt waste time shooting it at wheeled vehicles, because if it doesnt pen its still gonna do less damage than an AP shell, and wheeled vehciles can just repair their all their wheels at once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users