Should there be a permanent ranked mode?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Ranked (29 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should there be a permanent ranked mode

1. Yes (17 votes [58.62%])

Percentage of vote: 58.62%

2. No (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

Vote Hide poll

CremeFraiche1 #1 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 19:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9973 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O
I think it will allow players to start separating themselves into their own skill levels. If your purple and climb the rank ladder you will be qued with people who achieve the same rank and who are most likely purple themselves.Same goes for all skill levels. What do you guys think? These are just my thoughts.

F4U_wingman #2 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 19:37

Captain

• Players
  • 88759 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
Brilliant... and why would anyone that is blue and purple ever want to play ranked mode when they could be unranked and que with the less skilled players?

Volcanic_lobster_220 #3 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 20:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8787 battles
Pretty sure this would kill random battles and cause long que times.

JakeTheMystic #4 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 25135 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

As long as it had it's own category and didn't account for wn8, sure. That way players would still need to do pubs if they cared about their wn8, or they could do ranked if they want better rewards / more skilled play. If anything, someone could work on a separate Rwn8 just for ranked play (I'd assume its tier 10 only). 

I've always wanted a permanent ranked mode, but with how many people are hooked to wn8 being a measurement of skill, if ranked counted towards that then nobody would want to play. If it didn't include wn8, then nobody would want to play (unless it had really nice rewards). The incentive to play either casual or ranked has to be there, you can't have all the benefits go to one mode. Otherwise, it'll end up like Overwatch where basically nobody plays casual and ranked had degraded into a pubby mess. 

Rawrlynn #5 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 02:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 33439 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 21 2019 - 20:49, said:

As long as it had it's own category and didn't account for wn8, sure. That way players would still need to do pubs if they cared about their wn8, or they could do ranked if they want better rewards / more skilled play. If anything, someone could work on a separate Rwn8 just for ranked play (I'd assume its tier 10 only). 

I've always wanted a permanent ranked mode, but with how many people are hooked to wn8 being a measurement of skill, if ranked counted towards that then nobody would want to play. If it didn't include wn8, then nobody would want to play (unless it had really nice rewards). The incentive to play either casual or ranked has to be there, you can't have all the benefits go to one mode. Otherwise, it'll end up like Overwatch where basically nobody plays casual and ranked had degraded into a pubby mess. 

You must be assuming there was skill there to begin with. and second the unskilled like myself and bots would still be there and for the rewards, and then Pubbies would die off and the only way to play would be in ranked because you couldn't get a match in any other mode.   It already takes longer to get a random pub match with Frontlines going. 

it's why the leagues got shut down... well that and WG didn't want to pay out prizes anymore. 

JakeTheMystic #6 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 03:46

Major

• Players
  • 25135 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostRawrlynn, on Oct 21 2019 - 16:54, said:

You must be assuming there was skill there to begin with. and second the unskilled like myself and bots would still be there and for the rewards, and then Pubbies would die off and the only way to play would be in ranked because you couldn't get a match in any other mode.   It already takes longer to get a random pub match with Frontlines going. 

it's why the leagues got shut down... well that and WG didn't want to pay out prizes anymore. 

Sounds like you were saying WGleague was shut down because it affected queue times, which just isnt true. Not enough new teams were participating since they were just getting beat by better teams. It's a bracket tournament so it wouldnt even affect queue more than what tournaments are already doing. It was more that no new teams were getting into top positions and WG doesnt like giving out prizes to the same teams over and over. 

Looking at previous ranked seasons, there is a defined skill gap once you get to higher tiers, that is why you go up in rank based on WR and/or chevrons based on xp. Same with any other ranked mode, you get a rank based on your performance. Just like in CS:GO, you wouldn't see silver players playing in global elite matches, so why would baddies in wot get to play at higher ranked play in WOT? 

At rank 15 for the last ranked season for example, was mostly purple/blue with a few dark greens mixed in. It's really hard to just throw your way there since if you do nothing and your team wins, you still don't get the chevron to move up a rank. I would like to see kind of an "uncapped" max rank where you just keep going up, the rewards flatten out at some point (probably rank 25 or so) and you can still lose rank, but there isn't a maximum rank to reach. That way if someone gets to level 150 or some insane thing, he can really flex on people, but he would still need to be playing against people at 25-80 if there was just nobody else around that rank. 

I dunno, I think it would be neat to consider. I know WG will never do it though since once again, they hate giving out free stuff that is actually worth anything. That is, unless you have to put in a code first. 

SimplyPzB2 #7 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 06:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 106 battles

View PostCremeFraiche1, on Oct 21 2019 - 19:15, said:

I think it will allow players to start separating themselves into their own skill levels. If your purple and climb the rank ladder you will be qued with people who achieve the same rank and who are most likely purple themselves.Same goes for all skill levels. What do you guys think? These are just my thoughts.

We don't have enough players to separate the herd.  It's already pretty slim most nights.  I notice a significant drop in skilled players when frontlines is running.  I can't image how bad it would be if Ranked was full time (or frontline for that matter). 

omi5cron #8 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 12:33

Major

• Players
  • 24149 battles
first there would actually have to BE some Ranked Battles. once they get back...then start begging for permanency.

xX__PattonRommel590__Xx #9 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 06:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34955 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 21 2019 - 18:46, said:

Sounds like you were saying WGleague was shut down because it affected queue times, which just isnt true. Not enough new teams were participating since they were just getting beat by better teams. It's a bracket tournament so it wouldnt even affect queue more than what tournaments are already doing. It was more that no new teams were getting into top positions and WG doesnt like giving out prizes to the same teams over and over. 

WGL was almost solely shut down because of monetary reasons. There were new teams each season that would come into gold and do decently, look at TT6 for an example in the final season. 

Apache1990 #10 Posted Oct 23 2019 - 21:45

Major

• Players
  • 35614 battles

View PostF4U_wingman, on Oct 21 2019 - 14:37, said:

Brilliant... and why would anyone that is blue and purple ever want to play ranked mode when they could be unranked and que with the less skilled players?

Because then we don't have to deal with taking psychological damage as often during gameplay, as we watch everyone else randomly blow up. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users