• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 22:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 33504 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Howdy Tankers,

I started live streaming on YouTube about 4 years ago when Blitz was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/WinningWithWarchild .  Streaming that game on the YT platform was easy because there wasn't much to it.  Then Wargaming RU took over Blitz and took a giant ___ on it, and then YouTube sent me some really fun emails when my subscribers fell below 1,000 and so I stopped streaming altogether.  At some point, I decided to make the switch over to WoTPC and then later to Twitch.  My streams have always been more about communal involvement (therapeutic for me) than about making money.  So, I've been using Streamlabs OBS for my live streams and haven't put much effort into the bells and whistles that people enjoy from more professional streams.  Example: Someone hosted me last night with a good number of viewers and I was so focused on the game that I didn't even notice because I didn't hear anything.  That was just plain rude of me

My goal today was to read up on how to be more professional (in media presentation, not my own personal shtick), but all I did was confuse myself with all the options that are out there.  I've been told that OBS Studio is the way to go, so I'm trying to set that up but I'm more concerned about my homepage:  https://www.twitch.tv/warchildwins

Other people have much better looking pages that are color themed, etc.  I think that's an overlay or a widget or an extension or... hell, I don't know (I'm too old).  Not sure what to do to make my Twitch page better.

Something else that is confusing me is the combination of these items:

1) OBS Studio

2) Streamlabs OBS

3) StreamElements

4) StreamElements OBS.Live

If any of you have advice on how to set things up right, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

:honoring:

__WarChild__

Edited by __WarChild__, Oct 21 2019 - 22:31.

__WarChild__ #2 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 33504 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Thank you Jake for talking me through it!

:honoring:

JakeTheMystic #3 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:40

Major

• Players
  • 25015 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

There are a few things that I like to see on any twitch stream:

☑ Banner (Complex, detailed, something related to your channel, make it unique)

☑ Logo (Simple, easy to read)

☑ On-screen notification (Follow, Subscription, Hosting, Ect.)

☑ On-screen chat box (So people can go full-screen and still follow the chat)

☐ Overlay to display things like top donation, recent follower. Maybe a section to outline current music playing or an outline for your webcam (if you use one)

☑ Channel description (simple and clean, includes things like donations or merch store)

☐ Some sort of moderator role, whether its a bot or a person to filter out profanity or toxicity in chat (also a filter for donation messages) 

Things I don't like to see:

☐ Cluttered screen full of bit donation jars, over-sized webcam boxes and special effects

☐ Empty descriptions or entire essays of information. Only really need the essentials or shout-outs, not an entire biography 

☐ Extremely loud notification sounds / Improper sound settings where the mic is a lot louder than the game or the music is too loud

☐ Too many widgets, things like the chests for coins/rewards for watching are really pointless and don't add anything to the value of the stream

☐ Subscriber only / Follower only chat, its just a cheap way to get follows and doesn't actually prevent toxicity

Overall I think your stream is good because its minimalistic, which is better than going overboard on a lot of things. Your banner is really simple, which is good as long as it's what you like, same with the logo. You have the notifications set up, sound settings are good, resolution and the stream quality itself is good. You don't use a webcam so an overlay isn't necessary unless you really want one and you have the chat box. You don't have a bunch of excessive widgets which is good. Your description is pretty neat and only includes essentials. Most people use some sort of panel in their description to break it up into categories, but since you use images/picture that fills mostly the same purpose. 

I've definitely seen a lot worse stream setups out there and there really isn't anything wrong with yours. The incident with the raid sounds like it was fixed just by tweaking the notifications/alerts so that's all that was really needed. 

Good luck ;) 

__WarChild__ #4 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 33504 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Oct 21 2019 - 16:40, said:

There are a few things that I like to see on any twitch stream:

☑ Banner (Complex, detailed, something related to your channel, make it unique)

☑ Logo (Simple, easy to read)

☑ On-screen notification (Follow, Subscription, Hosting, Ect.)

☑ On-screen chat box (So people can go full-screen and still follow the chat)

☐ Overlay to display things like top donation, recent follower. Maybe a section to outline current music playing or an outline for your webcam (if you use one)

☑ Channel description (simple and clean, includes things like donations or merch store)

☐ Some sort of moderator role, whether its a bot or a person to filter out profanity or toxicity in chat (also a filter for donation messages) 

Things I don't like to see:

☐ Cluttered screen full of bit donation jars, over-sized webcam boxes and special effects

☐ Empty descriptions or entire essays of information. Only really need the essentials or shout-outs, not an entire biography 

☐ Extremely loud notification sounds / Improper sound settings where the mic is a lot louder than the game or the music is too loud

☐ Too many widgets, things like the chests for coins/rewards for watching are really pointless and don't add anything to the value of the stream

☐ Subscriber only / Follower only chat, its just a cheap way to get follows and doesn't actually prevent toxicity

Overall I think your stream is good because its minimalistic, which is better than going overboard on a lot of things. Your banner is really simple, which is good as long as it's what you like, same with the logo. You have the notifications set up, sound settings are good, resolution and the stream quality itself is good. You don't use a webcam so an overlay isn't necessary unless you really want one and you have the chat box. You don't have a bunch of excessive widgets which is good. Your description is pretty neat and only includes essentials. Most people use some sort of panel in their description to break it up into categories, but since you use images/picture that fills mostly the same purpose. 

I've definitely seen a lot worse stream setups out there and there really isn't anything wrong with yours. The incident with the raid sounds like it was fixed just by tweaking the notifications/alerts so that's all that was really needed. 

Good luck ;) 

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.  Again, much appreciated!

:)

Also tagged with Live Streaming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users